Our beautiful Hotel Minerva with view on the coast

Good

The Minerva is a lovely hotel with very ...

Reviewed 26th June 2007

"The Minerva is a lovely hotel with very good service from all of the staff. We went half board and thought the food most of the time was very good. We enjoyed homemade ravioli; rustic pizza (like a quiche); homemade soups and fresh fish for dinner. The breakfast was fine (but coffee was unusually bad considering its Italy!) just what you`d expect for a continental breakfast (with some cooked eggs etc most days). The view is fab, and the upstairs pool is good. We did find the drinks expensive (but then neither of us drink wine) and avoided running up a big bill which is of course encouraged by Hotels. Instead we often stopped at the Hotel Ascot, at the bottom of the hill for a drink which is much cheaper and the staff are also very relaxed and nice. This gave us a wee rest before heading up the hill to the Minerva (which really isn’t that bad at all and gives you some exercise). I think with this Hotel it is all about your luck with your room - there are sea views at the top which have very small windows (which we got and felt disappointed as we had gone there to get married, and thought they would have given us one on the second floor with at least a larger window) - but on our last 5 days we opted to move to a room with a balcony and to pay the extra 20 Euros a day. When we went to pay this the manager who’s is a nice woman, had said it was `gratis` which did compensate. Sorrento is a gorgeous place to visit and it is worth using the train to visit Pompeii (only about £1.60 return) and avoid excursion fares when visiting the area if possible. All in all good Hotel and great Holiday."

• Travel date: 26th June 2007

Fantastic Hotel - Fantastic Staff

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"What a beautiful hotel and the only thing to top it is the staff who work there! A group of us 8 ladies went to celebrate my sisters 40th birthday and nothing was too much trouble. They gave us 3 rooms next to eachother and two of them (710 & 711) had big balconies with a fab view over the Bay of Naples. The staff even provided a birthday cake and arranged a brilliant sunset cruise around the coast for us. This actually turned out to be the highlight of our trip with champagne and swimming. I did read the reports about the musty smelling rooms on the lower levels (ie, 1-4) and now realize why. The rooms on these floors are actually cut in the rock face so that's why you get the smell. Best to ask for a room on level 6 or 7. The terrace was a lovely place to have drinks and breakfast in the morning and the hotel had a lovely old Italian charm about it instead of the sterile 5 star hotels you get. A big thanks to Antonietta, Guiseppe and all the other staff at the Minerva. I've travelled all around the world but have never truly met staff like this before in a hotel. Credit to you all!"

• Travel date: 4th September 2005

Everyone should try it in his life

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"I've always wanted to go to Sorrento, and this summer I finally got to chance to go and spend two lovely weeks there with a friend of mine. the town is about one hour away from Naples, the closest city. sorrento is even nicer than I've ever thought, and the Hotel Minerva is absolutely gorgeous!!! From its terrace you've got one of the best view in town:Mount Vesuvius and the Gulf of Naples, the Sorrentine Peninsula straight in front of you, with no blocks or anything else obstructing the wonderful panorama. The staff is simply fantastic. We've especially loved Marilena, the lovely woman at the reception. She welcomed us in a very warm way, gave us precious advices for excursions, restaurants and shopping!! She speaks perfectlyEnglish, and has always a smile for everybody. Antonio, the barman, makes great cocktails, but don't ask him what's in there:he's not gonna answer you!!! It's lovely to sunbathe on one of the two beautiful pools, and ask the everyhelpful Franco to bring you something cool:Sorrento is very very hot in this period!! The rooms are very nice, and very very clean:our maid Rosetta looked perfectly after us. There'a a gala dinner on Wendsnay night, with music and great fun. In the Minerva I've met one of the funniest man in my life:Liberato, the porter. Even in the Italian hot weatrher, he's always there ready to help you or to make a funny joke in his Italian-English!! Well, as you would have guessed, I've had the best holiday of my life at the Minerva, and I deeply suggest to anyone who's planning to go to Sorrento(and not only) to book there:you'll feel at home, with the relax of being perfectly looked after by a fantastic and very professional staff."

• Travel date: 24th August 2005

Perfect!

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"My wife and i visited Minerva from the 5th August for a week. Perfect describes the Hotel Minerva, the views across the bay of naples, the food, the service, Antonio's cocktails!, eating every meal on the terrace, our room, the view from our room balcony, sorrento town, especially the old town shops, did i mention the view?, the roof top swimming pool, the gala dinner on the Wednesday night was fantastic, even when the local guitarist performed a few local classics and a few more up to date songs!, ( ive never heard 'show me the way to amorillo' sung that way before!!), The view at night, the view during the day, you must visit Capri, only a 20 minutes ferry ride away, oh, and the view......perfect!"

• Travel date: 23rd August 2005

Magnificent Minerva!

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"When you stay at the Hotel Minerva the word 'Breathtaking' is constantly on the tip of your tongue. The view over Sorrento is unsurpassed by any other hotel we visited, especially from the delightful rooftop pool. The hotel has a very 'Homely' feel which is full credit to the finest staff I've ever experienced in all my years of travel. Its like staying with the best family in the world, who make you feel like you are the most important guest at the hotel. They even started calling me 'Boss'!! The rooms with sea view terrace were perfect, and waking up, flinging open the terrace doors and looking out across the Sorrento Bay and beyond makes it easy to fall in love with the Minerva. For simply the most 'Breathtaking' holiday in Sorrento, there is only one choice, choose Hotel Minerva."

• Travel date: 18th August 2005

Hotel Minerva is exceptional

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"Our family of four stayed at the Minerva June 24 and 25. The staff was friendly, helpful and had impeccable manners. The view was breathtaking. Our quad room with a view was clean ,spacious and very inviting. The bathrooms were clean spacious and more than adequate. The architecure and decor was Italian and not some imitation of typical American hotels. I would definitely recommend this hotel and plan to return.I want to thank the front desk manager for going out of her way to be helpful and welcoming. The Hotel Minerva was an oasis and exceptional hotel. The pool and breakfast were ideal! The Marchi Family (Medford, Oregon)"

• Travel date: 7th August 2005

The best view in sorrento

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"Three couples stayed here in July. The view is surreal. It is a short walk into the beautiful town of Sorrento. The staff is very friendly and we all enjoyed ourselves to the limit. The rooms were very nice with rainfall showerheads. We hope to go back someday."

• Travel date: 6th August 2005

superb views from the minerva

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"stayed at the minerva hotel from the 15th to the 22nd of july and can thoroughly recommend it. You do need to ask for a room with a balcony to get the most from the hotel's position up on the road leading out of sorrento as the views are absolutely stunning. there was nothing better than sitting on your balcony sipping a drink before your evening meal looking out over the bay of naples with vesuvius in the background. The food was excellent, a good choice every evening with the usual continental buffet breakfast , also very nice and the staff were all very helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. Another great bonus is that as the weather was wall to wall sunshine, all the meals were eaten on the outdoor balcony which ran the whole front of the hotel from the resturant, past the bar area where you sat and enjoyed your after dinner drinks, along past reception with a small swimming pool as well . This meant that you could enjoy the views all the time, I have to say as a bit of an active person, this is the first place i've ever been to where i was more than happy just to sit and look out watching the yacht's, cruise ships and speed boats criss crossing the bay in the glorious sunshine for hours on end. There was also a lovely pool and sunbathing area on the top of the hotel, very clean and plenty of sun loungers, again the pool cum bar attendent was very friendly and helpful and yet again stunning views. This is the first time i have been to the Minerva, and having read other reviews i can agree to some degree about the road noise as the hotel is on a busy road, however i found that this did not disturb me at night and i soon did not notice it at all. It was a 20-25 minute walk down to the harbour with a bit a climb back up but i enjoyed the walking especially helpful in working off some of the excellent food. I think it would only be a problem if you had difficulty in walking in the first place. All in all i would say that the hotel more than lived up to my expectations and was well worth the price. Good food , very friendly staff, clean spacious rooms, and views to die for, I will definitely be going there again"

• Travel date: 6th August 2005

A Killer View of the Bay of Naples

Reviewed 19th October 2012

"We stayed in Sorrento in July at the Hotel Minerva on Via Capo. I chose this hotel because of its location and the pictures of it from the net (see Venere). It was a bit of a splurge for my budget, but I would stay there again for the views of the bay alone! We took a bus from the Circumvesuviano train station to the Cape where the hotel is located, but the rest of the time we were in Sorrento we walked. The road is very busy, but you just have to be careful when you cross the road, and stay on the sidewalk the rest of the time. The hike up at night looking out at all of the lights twinkling around the bay is especially nice. (A bus stop is right next to the hotel making this an easy place to connect to.) The hotel room was spacious (we had a triple), and I specified a pricier balcony view when I reserved the room. It was a spectacular view and well worth the extra Euros I spent. The balcony was big enough to accomodate a table and chairs and then some! (It was also great to hang our drying laundry here.) If we had wanted to, we could have sat on that balcony all day and night and watched the ocean, the miscellaneous ships and boats, and beach goers. It was marvelous sitting there with a cold beverage and taking it all in. (A mini bar is in the room. There is a small store nearby where we purchased drinks on our hike up to keep cold in the room when needed.) The bathroom was also big. It had a tub and large sink with plenty of room to spread out your cosmetics. The toilet and bidet left your plenty of leg-room so you could move around easily. The top floor reception (reached by the conveniently large elevator) opens up to sitting areas, a bar, and a large breakfast room-which leads out onto my favorite covered, outdoor seating area in which to dine al fresco overlooking that beautiful bay! Outside there is also a small wading pool, and large sun deck on which to spend many hours of down time. The only thing that might detract from the greatness of the hotel is that is in on a very busy road leading to other Amalfi Coast towns, so when you are sitting on the balcony during high traffic times the Vespas and automobiles are noisy, but I find this part of the Italian sensory experience : ). All of the hotels on the Via Capo have this same detail. I have promised myself a return visit! By the way, it is very easy to hire a car and book trips from the reception desk. There is a computer available on the reception floor as well (although it was being upgraded while we were there, so no go.)"

• Travel date: 20th July 2005

Exceeded all expectations

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"My husband and I stayed at Minerva in June after visiting 3 other cities in Italy. We saved the best for last. This hotel had the most unbelievable view you will ever see and the pictures on the website don't do it justice, it's 100 x better in person. The staff was so helpful, with excursions and with recommendations to delicious restaurants with shuttles to get there. The rooms were spacious & clean, and we were lucky enough to be on the highest level of the hotel with a balcony overlooking the water. I went to Hawaii on my honeymoon, and to me this was even prettier. I would definitely return to Minerva and recommend it to anyone."

• Travel date: 19th July 2005

Perfect !

Reviewed 21st October 2012

"My first trip to Italy... this was the first stop and it was simply spectacular. The views breathtaking, the staff wonderful. The front desk will help you to no end on sights to see, language tips, arranging transportation, you name it. Beautiful balconies overlooking the Almafi Coast, great breakfast and awesome rooftop pool."

• Travel date: 17th July 2005