Roof Terrace at the Hotel del Mare

Good

Fabulous privately run hotel in the old ...

Reviewed 28th March 2006

"Fabulous privately run hotel in the old harbour of Sorrento. We can't recommend it enough - fireworks and fiesta every night at the end of August and seafood restaurants all along the harbour. It was magical and I can't wait to go back. I booked online after searching for hotels, and we took a BA flight direct from Gatwick to Naples. It was the perfect location to explore Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples and Sorrento and we were able to mix a beach holiday and a cultural holiday in perfect harmony. 10 out of 10. You MUST hire a Vespa for the day too and go to Positano, so beautiful it is ridiculous!"

• Travel date: 28th March 2006

Good value but nothing more

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"While I agree with the other reviewers about the location of this hotel, I do not share their enthusiasm for the hotel itself or the rooms. The owner is a cigar smoker so you are greeted with the stench of cigar smoke each time you enter the lobby. Not pleasant. Our room was on the 3rd floor and we paid 10 Euro per day for a "Sea view supplement." Don't waste your money -- the view from our window mainly consisted of the buildings below, but if you craned your neck, you could just make out mount vesuvius to the right. Furthermore, the bed and bathroom were worse than many of the hotels we stayed at elsewhere in italy. Not bad, but small and uncomfortable. That being said, we only paid 120 euro per night (130 with the sea view) and it is true that you get what you pay for."

• Travel date: 10th July 2005

Good location & good value

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"Just back from a weekend in Sorrento, and I stayed three nights at the Hotel Del Mare. We booked the hotel with holidaycityeurope and got a good deal, so after reading the reviews online combined with the good price, we chose the hotel del mare. The location is quite nice, with the fishing village / beach just around the corner, and after a little "exploring" (i.e. getting lost) we found the shortcut to the town up the steps and around the cliff. Getting into town is a nice walk and takes you around some wonderful views. However, as mentioned before we were charged €20 for a taxi from the port to the hotel, which seemed a little expensive. On our return to the port we decided to walk to the port (up the long steps), as this saved us some money. It was a pleasant walk, and with rollers on your suitcase, it was fine. I just can't stand being ripped off I'm afraid! Myself and my boyfriend are in our mid 20's and found Sorrento to be beautiful although a little expensive to socialise in. Also the average age of the tourists is definately mid thirties. All that aside, Sorrento is beautiful! The Hotel Del Mare is a fine hotel, although I can say that we had very little change on us by the time we arrived at the hotel and thus gave the porter a basic tip of just over a euro. After that, we had a frosty stare when we entered and left the hotel. Oops, but that was the sum total of our cash at that time! Our view from the hotel was into somebody else's basement, so I think that was the trade off for getting a cheap room!! Good price, nice location and would reccomend it to a friend!"

• Travel date: 12th June 2005

Perfect place to stay

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"We stayed at the Hotel Del Mare for three nights in May 2005. It was perfect. We had a sea view room for only 110 Euro, and when we opened our window, we had a clear view of Vesuvius! The room was clean and air conditioned, and the bathroom was new and spotless. Breakfast was included and was so yummy - pastries, yogurt, coffee, tea, breads, fruit, juice, cheese, etc. The stuff were extremely helpful - carrying our luggage to the room, helping plan days trips - anything you needed they were there. The night concierge is especially lovely. This hotel is in the fishing village of Sorrento, and I wouldn't have stayed anywhere else. It is so much quieter and less touristy, and the restaurants are divine. Try Taverna Azzura and you will not regret it. The rooftop patio is a lovely addition and my husband and I spent an entire day sitting there enjoying the sun and the view. Do note, though, that the fishing village is about a 10-15 minute walk from the core of Sorrento and closer to 20 minutes to the port. Cabs are expensive in Sorrento, so get your running shoes on. We would stay here again in a minute, and hope to do so soon!"

• Travel date: 1st June 2005

Quiet and peaceful getaway

Reviewed 8th October 2012

"The best thing about the Del Mare was the location - such a beautiful and peaceful part of town. A short (uphill) ten minute walk and you're in the noisy, busy part of town. It's a different world up there - very touristy. We arrived in Sorrento by train and took the local bus down to Marina Grande (Line D, about €1). The bus drops you off on the waterfront - you have to walk back one street to find the hotel. Maybe it was the renovations, but I didn't see a sign. We must have looked lost, as the guy on reception that afternoon came out and greeted us by name - he was obviously expecting us, and the bags might have given us away. He also gave us a handy map of town. The room was clean and well appointed, if a bit small. Just enough room, no more, no less. We booked a standard double and ended up on the first floor, overlooking the road. We had a small balcony, just big enough for a couple of chairs and a small table, and found it pleasant to sit out there with a beer in the twilight. Can't say the traffic or the boat repair place (ground floor of a house opposite - it's not a huge factory or anything) was an issue for us. It's a quiet part of town, and the room had a big electric roller shutter that's pretty good at blocking out any noise (and sun). The waterfront is very pretty (especially for eating at sunset). We certainly had no problems at the Dolphin. I especially enjoyed the side dish of grilled sardines I had at Di Leva - best I had anywhere while I was in Italy. Breakfast at the hotel was standard European fare - rolls, cheeses, meats, cereals, fruit and so on. The breakfast room is a bit kitch - it's in the basement and they're making it look like some sort of cavern. It clashes a bit with the modern, light decor used elsewhere in the hotel. There is a rooftop terrace, with a few deck chairs if your idea of a holiday is to sit around in the sun. From there you get a view of the bay that's pretty good too. We paid €100/night, including breakfast, booked through an online booking service. We thought that excellent value for such a location in May. I'd recommend the Del Mare for anyone who wants a quiet base from which to explore the Amalfi Coast."

• Travel date: 27th May 2005

Great Hotel plus some observations

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"Stayed here last week and it is true that there is some early noise from the boat builders but the front renovations outside the lobby were nearly complete and no real problem. The hotel is lovely and in a great position and at 130 euros a night all included great value. Get room 401 or 402 and you are up high and away from the street side. The rear window overlooks the old port, the bay and vesuvius...fantastic. Words of advice - get an Artecard Camapania 3 days to save lots of money on travel and museums including Pompei but make sure that one of your days is not free for entry anyway....possibly a sunday. Sorrento was friendly, warm and the people and restaurants were great..as was Capri..Pompei was stunning...allow all day to see loads and get an audio guide for 10 euros a pair...really good quality. If you go down the Amalfi coast go by SITA bus on your Artecard but watch out the buses get very full and people stand..no fun. Get a seat on the right hand side for the best views. You can return to Naples by boat from sorrento but it is no fun trying to get anywhere in the city...just too complex and tiring particularly if you have luggage. If you ned to get to Sorrento direct from the airport take the Currero direct bus...only 6 euros and very quick (an hour) finally what a great area...must get back soon."

• Travel date: 26th May 2005

A little noisy

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"The Hotel is in the Marina Grande which is definatly the more peaceful side of Sorrento. Lovely laid back fish restaurants over looking the small quiet bay. A lovely place to stay. Unfortunatly the Hotel del Mare is 50 metres around the corner opposite a boat builders. Although the Hotel is very clean and the rooms have everything you would require for a holiday,the bedrooms at the front of the Hotel will have to put up with builders noise( May - 2005 - renovations to the Hotel), noise from the boat builders and because the Hotel is on a hill at a bend noise from traffic grinding gears and beeping hooters. All the Hotel rooms with a balcony are at the front of the building. Do not bother paying the extra for the balcony. For a quiet more peaceful sleep ask for one of the rooms at the back. You wont get much of a view but at least you will not be charged for noise and you will only have to walk around the corner for sea and scenery. Finally if you want to sunbathe, head for the dolphin platform at Marina Grande. We stayed for lunch ( which was very nice) and our sun bed for the day was free. Staff are also very friendly."

• Travel date: 15th May 2005

Hotel Del Mare is delightful

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"My husband & I just returned from a 2-week honeymoon in Italy, and this was definitely our favorite hotel. I did a great deal of research before booking, and now that I've stayed there, I can say that you really can't beat the rate, but there are a couple of cautions: If you stay on the 1st or 2nd floors (remember ground floor is "0"), your view is of the sides of other buildings. We spent a few extra Euros and stayed on the 4th floor (125 Euros, cash only) and it was magic! A big window opened to the sea, with views of Mt. Vesuvius and the entire bay, and just outside our door was the rooftop terrace. Some books look down on the Marina Grande area, but we loved it. It's away from the crowded and noisy city center, so very quiet, and you can either walk 10 minutes into town or take the shuttle bus that runs every half hour or so. Definitely eat lunch and/or dinner at Azzuro's, Emilio's and at Zi'Ntonio's (all 5 minutes from the hotel). Definitely avoid the "Dolphin". Gwen & Jack, New Orleans LA"

• Travel date: 10th May 2005

Great hotel in quiet spot of Sorrento

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"Spent 3 nights over Easter staying in Hotel del Mare in Sorrento. We were 3 friends sharing one room. Very nice basic hotel in a quiet part of Sorrento. Rooms are small and basic, but very clean with a small balcony, tiled floors, a good shower. I found the location to be good - it is down by the port a 5 minute walk (uphill!) to the main town, which means it is close enough to get the hussle of the main town and far enough away to get the quiet of harbour. There are some nice restaurants by the port that are good for lunch. When driving it was not the easiest place to find and we had to ask for directions - but once there was worth it. Sorrento was a good base for exploring the amalfi coast region though be warned driving was chaotic!"

• Travel date: 28th April 2005

Wonderful location, very nice room

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed here for 5 nights in October 2004. The Hotel is very modern and "hi-tech" while also being off the beaten path in the wonderful fishing village of Sorrento. There is a healthy uphill walk to reach the city proper, but a bus runs at regular intervals throughout the day. We found this hotel the ideal get away from the hussle and bussle of making day trips to touristy hot spots like Pompeii and Capri. We particularlly enjoyed lounging on the roof top terrace playing cards and the ocean view. Also, the breakfast was top-notch with wonderful offerings of meats, cheeses, fruit, pastries, breads, good coffee and assorted juices. We would definitely stay here again, perhaps upgrading to the "penthouse" 4th floor room."

• Travel date: 16th November 2004

Hotels near Hotel del Mare

Hotel del Mare is also called

• Del Mare Hotel