Terrazza Ristorante

Great Hotel with Stunning Scenery

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"We stayed at the Hotel Belair for one week at the end of September and had a fantastic time - our only regret is that we did not book for a fortnight! We are a married couple in our early thirties and were looking for a relaxing break in a lovely hotel and that is exactly what we got. The hotel is situated in a cliff side so all rooms have magnificent views of the Bay of Naples. We had booked a junior suite which had a terrace rather than a balcony and this was ideal for sitting out on with a glass of wine enjoying the view! The decor is 1930's Italy which will not be to everyone's taste (as the other reviews show) but we really liked it. The room was very spacious with a sleeping area and a smaller area with a large TV and sofa. The bathroom was old fashioned in a nice way and was huge - my only complaint was that the shower cubicle was a bit small (especially since it was such a large room) but it was powerful so that made up for it! We had to book half board as no other option was available but only ended up eating in the hotel on two occasions as the food in the nearby restaurants is so great, we wanted to try as many as possible. We especially enjoyed some of the ones in the marina which is at the bottom of the steps leading down from the Belair - its quite a climb back up so don't have too many glasses of wine! We did have the Candlelight Dinner in the hotel which is every Thursday night and this was really nice but I would recommend bed and breakfast if you are given the option. The pool is small but well maintained. It is directly overlooked by some of the hotel balconies but this did not bother us in the slightest. People did put towels out to reserve beds but there was always plenty available so was not a problem. The pool does lose the sun in the afternoon so this may not suit a sun worshipper, however there were several places in the marina to sunbathe in the afternoon as several of the restaurants are situated on wooden piers which have sunbathing areas on the end (they did charge for beds though). We found all the staff to be polite and helpful especially the porters and the waiters who were never too busy to stop and correct my husband as he attempted to speak Italian with them! The rooms are cleaned and towels replaced every morning and the beds are turned down each night which is a nice touch. It took us about 20 mins to reach the main square in Sorrento from the hotel but you do reach the start of the shops/restaurants after about 10 minutes. The road up to this point is narrow with a small pavement but it is fine as long as you walk in single file in some parts. We found the narrow roads along the cliff sides were a characteristic of Sorrento, although the Italian driving can be a bit hair-raising so always look left and right before crossing! There are plenty of trips to do - we chose a day trip to Pompei and Vesuvius (choose the option without lunch as there are plenty of places to eat at Pompei and the lunch provided was poor for the cost). We also did an evening trip to Positano which I would recommend. All in all, we had a wonderful time at the Belair and will definitely return there (hopefully next summer). We have stayed in many hotels all over the world and found this one to be one of our favourites. It is a quiet, well run hotel with spectacular views and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to our family and friends."

• Travel date: 9th October 2006

Great Room. The Rest is Just Acceptable

Reviewed 10th October 2012

"Stayer at the Belair for four nights at the end of September 2006. Overall good rating. The room was excellent--huge by European standards, with a balcony with a dream view of the Bay of Naples. Room decor was a bit old and a trifle seedy, but clean and acceptable. Public areas were bright and clean. Front desk staff were generally helpful, although not exceptionally so. Avoid the dining room for dinner at all costs. Food was mediocre and service was so-so, plus the prices were quite high. Breakfast in the dining room was marginal. (On a couple of mornings, we ordered breakfast via room service. Simple coffee, juice, pani and cornetti. Recommend that route. No charge for the breakfast, but a flat rate of 8 Euros per delivery). Don't believe the reviewers who claim the town center is a ten-minute walk. Took me 20 at best (and I'm a fast walker and fairly athletic). Plus the walk can be harrowing, with very narrow sidewalks at times and deadly coast road traffic. Simple solution is to buy local bus tickets from the hotel front desk. Only one Euro each way. The bus stop into town is directly across the road from the hotel entrance."

• Travel date: 7th October 2006

Superb location and faciloities and very friendly and helpful staff

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"We stayed here for 3 nights in early October. The room was large, bright and clean with (as expected) a terrific view. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The swimming pool is a superb spot, quiet and with terrific views. We had other family members staying at the Bristol and Minerva nearby - I would say the big benefit of the Belair is the fact that it is below the coast road and you can hardly hear it at all when sat on your balcony or by the pool - you can enjoy the views in peace. The price is towards the top end of the scale but for a special break I would say it is well worth it! Note there is only one lift and lots of steps if you don't want to use/wait for the lift."

• Travel date: 4th October 2006

Not as good as the reviews suggest

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"We booked this hotel after reading the reviews on this site. There are lots of good things to say about the Belair: the view is fantastic, the rooms are a good size and all have sea views, it's reasonably quiet being out of town and built into the cliff... And the service is efficient, if impersonal. The food is appalling, though. We decided to try it for one night, and were given the same menu as the half-board guests (no a la carte, as some people have mentioned), although we were charged a higher price for only eating there one night. The main courses were burnt and dried up, with sauces only a burnt stain on the bottom of the plate, and the local speciality of Sorrento potatoes (sliced potatoes with a little cheese layer) was accompanied by - potatoes! It was also noisy: there was a wedding reception going on in the next room playing different piped music to the piped music in our room (although the glass doors between the rooms were open), and a child from the party crashing the keys on a grand piano for most of the meal. Breakfast is better, although the fruit juice is more like bad squash. The pool isn't very inviting, as it is rectangular, crowded and overlooked by everyone on the floors above. That didn't seem to bother everyone, although we didn't use it. We also found the reception staff to be unfriendly and not quick to help. We considered changing hotels during our stay, and wouldn't come back here, although I know that lots of people do return every year. It doesn't seem like a 4 star hotel, although it charges those prices. I'd probably suggest the Antiche Mura to anyone thinking of visiting Sorrento."

• Travel date: 3rd October 2006

Hotel Belair was fantastic

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"We got married at this hotel in August 2006 - and it was absolutely perfect. It had the best views of all the hotels in Sorrento (Vesuvius, the Bay of Naples and Sorrento itself). And every single room has a great view, and the hotel was lovely. The food was amazing. We were really happy with the whole service. The staff were really nice - especially Michele and the porter. Just take one example of the great customer service of the staff. My sister is allergic to wheat - they made a wheat free pizza for her - her first for years! There was also wheat free wedding cake and cannelloni. It is about ten minutes walk from Sorrento - which felt fine. The views really are great."

• Travel date: 17th September 2006

Take no notice of poor review! Wonderful Belair!

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"I just do not understand the poor review dated September 2006. We stayed at the Belair after a recommendation from my parents, who have stayed there twice before. Both my husband and I are seasoned travellers who have experienced hotels of all levels in many different countries and so have a lot to measure the Belair against. We found the hotel to be superb. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and took a personal interest in us. They loved our daughter to bits, gave her chocolates all the time and one member of staff even gave her a doll the night before we left. Many of the other hotel guests that we met whilst we were there told us that they return year after year. One guest had even visited the hotel 36 years in a row! I think that speaks for itself. The morning of our departure, we had to get up at 5am. The staff opened up the restaurant an hour early especially for us and even came out to wave us good-bye when we left. There was a real personal touch that was genuine, something rare in a hotel these days. The room was very comfortable, full of 1930s charm and added to the magic of our stay on the Neopolitain Riviera. Anyone in the know, understands that this is part of the charm of the Belair. The food for the half-board guests was not as good as the food on the a la carte menu, but you get what you pay for and it was certainly fine for us. There is also a bed and breakfast option and there are plenty of good restaurants in the town. Anyway, the service both at breakfast and dinner was superb. All I can say is try it and see for yourself!"

• Travel date: 12th September 2006

Wonderful Hotel, spectacular views!

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"I went here with my boyfriend in Aug for 1 night and it was just gorgeous! Sorrento town centre isn't that beautiful but this hotel was up on the cliff face and had spectacular views over the mediterranian. The staff were very accomodating, we got our dates mixed up and arrived a day late and they still found a room for us which was excellent. The rooms are huge and beautifully appointed. Most people staying there were middle aged but we still enjoyed it. It's the sort of place where you don't really leave the hotel, we sat on the balcony drinking wine and admiring the view all afternoon, it was wonderful. They have a candleight dinner on Thursday nights and that was lovely, there was a live pianist and singer but the food was disappointing for a 4 star hotel. Overall it was wonderfull and we'd love to go back."

• Travel date: 12th September 2006

Very disappointed - 3 star at best!

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"I have just returned from a one week stay at the Hotel Belair. After having read the glowing reviews on tripadvisor, I have to say it most certainly did not live up to my expectations, and I was rather disappointed. The hotels most redeeming quality is the view, which admitedly is quite breathtaking. However, I feel that the hotel relies on the view alone to make up for all its shortcomings. The standard of decor is quite apalling - peeling paint, chipped and broken floor tiles, grubby and scuffed walls etc. The interior of the hotel is in desparate need of refurbishment. The same can be said of the furnishings - worn, uncomfortable chairs, missing lamp shades, and bare light bulbs etc. These might sound like minor grumbles, but when paying 300 euros a night, certain standards are expected. The breakfast was really a non-event, and consisted of a predictable 'continental' buffet, with absolutely no immagination. Most of the fruit was out of a tin, and the fruit juice wasn't even 'real' juice, but loaded with sugar and tasted like artificial squash. The waiters NEVER ONCE cleared away the used plates, bowls etc., so we soon accumulated a pile of dirty crocery on our table every morning - totally unacceptable in a hotel of this category! The Maitre D' was noticeable by his absence most of the time, which obviously explains the reason for the poor quality of service. You had better set your alarm very early if you want to nab a good sunbed by the pool! The best positions were always 'reserved' by 7:00am (sometimes earlier) by guests placing a towel or book on it and then disappearing for half a day! The Brits were the worst offenders! The hotel needs to enforce a policy of guests not being able to 'reserve' sunbeds. The service at reception was absolutely sterile. They were not very helpful or forthcoming with information and did not make us feel very welcome at all. There was a general 'take it or leave it' attitude, and the staff just couldn't be bothered with dealing with guests. I simply cannot believe all the wonderful comments by previous guests on tripadvisor. Perhaps some people have nothing to compare the Belair to. I travel for business, and have stayed at hundreds of hotels from 2 to 5 star, so I feel as though I am more than qualified to give a realistic review. The Belair Hotel is definitely not worth the money. It's a 3 star hotel at best, and there are many other hotels in Sorrento that offer a better qaulity product with higher levels of service and accommodation for the same price. I personally inspected The Royal, which was absolutely spotless, with very friendly service, and would be my recommendation to anyone visiting Sorrento."

• Travel date: 7th September 2006

Absolutely fantastic!

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"This Hotel is by far the most well run and elegant hotel I have ever stayed in and is set in the beautiful Bay of Naples with stunning views from your very own balcony! We went there for our honey moon and they laid on a free bottle of bubbly when we arrived. The staff are so helpful and pleasant and very smartly dressed. They speak English and are just the most charming people. The hotel is built into the side of a cliff and the car park is on the roof. The only noise you can here from your balcony are the birds and the sea. The decor in the hotel is very elegant and it is very well maintained. In the rooms the water is hot and well pressurised. We had a seperate shower and bath in our room and were able to both use the water at the same time with no ill affects on the temperature or water pressure. That may sound like a mad thing to say but it makes a difference! We have promised ourselves that we will go back and it speaks for itself that so many people in the hotel are returning guests. It seems to attract a better class of guest with very few children evident. The only slight downside I can think of is that if you are a sun or pool worshipper then you could be a little disappointed. The pool is very clean but not heated and the sun disappears behind the cliff around mid afternoon. But there are plenty of attractions in Sorrento and surrounding areas to keep you occupied. There is no other hotel in Sorrento that has the class of the Belair. Book now and have the holiday of a lifetime."

• Travel date: 1st September 2006

Great View and Value

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"I have stayed here twice and had a great experience. Each room has it's own balcony, which is quite large, with fantastic views of Sorrento. The reason for this is that the hotel is built into the cliff! It's amazing. The rooms are also big by italian standards and I think it is great value for money. If you can get down there the water at the ocean (even if the actualy beach is a slab of rock is great to swim in and never crowded) it is lovely, although the pool is also good. I wouldn't bother with the hotel restaurant for meals but it's only a 10 minute walk into Sorrento so food isn't a problem. If you want to try two great restaurats my first choice is L'Antica Tratoria and 2nd would be Caruso. As for nightlife if you have a car there are clubs on the beach not far away towads Massa Lubrensa but the buses stop at midnight and I don't know how good the taxi service would be."

• Travel date: 29th August 2006

Wonderful location and very friendly sta...

Reviewed 21st June 2006

"Wonderful location and very friendly staff. The food was a real let down, we were served ready prepared meals many evening, with frozen veg such as brussel sprouts. If items were not eaten they would appear as a starter the following evening. This made the hotel feel cheap. We also had problems with the very thin walls in the hotel. The location can be problem if the weather is poor as the hotel is in shade for much of the day as it is North facing."

• Travel date: 21st June 2006