Grand Hotel Flora

Corso Italia 248 Neapolitan Riviera, 80067, Sorrento Italy

Wedding Party with 4 Small Children excellent Hotel

"We went to Sorrento to be married. The first week we were there we were with my now in-laws. The holtel were very acommodating as my mother in law is blind and needed extra help. The second week all of my family joined us including my children who were aged 5,4,2 and 1. The hotel staff were absoloubtly fantastic with the children and went out of their way to make our big day extra special. The restaurant staff were amazing with the children and made sure they got hat they wanted to eat and drink.

I would recommend the Hotel Flora to any one and we will surely be going back next year for our anniversary."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of June 2006

Wonderful base for exploring!

"I used Trip Advisor to read reviews on this hotel before making a booking with Thomsons, and found the comments very useful.

I have just spent a week in Sorrento at the Flora for my 50th birthdaywith my husband and some friends, so was hoping it would be special. What can I say - I loved Sorrento, the hotel and staff were marvellous, and the weather was superb! We had booked a room with a balcony, cot space (hoping this might ensure more room space) and a pool view - we got all of that and were pleased we weren't facing the busy main road, although I agree with other reviewers that it was fun watching the crazy drivers! The hotel situation is great - 5 mins walk to the station, 10 mins to the main Piazzo Tasso and shops. Be sure to visit Capri, but do your own thing and don't book the organised tours as its very easy and much cheaper - we all loved the towns of Capri and Anacapri. We also visited Pompeii (a whole day needed) and had a two day trip to Rome, travelling by train from Sorrento to Naples and then Eurostar from Naples to Rome - all very easy to do and half the price charged by the tour operators!

Finally, our stay at the Flora was lovely. We all agreed it was a great base, the food was good and the staff very friendly and good fun. Unexpectedly, at dinner, the waiters made my birthday extra special by bringing me a birthday cake, with "firework" on top, and all singing happy birthday - great memories to look back on!"

• Travel date: Fri 26th of May 2006

Are you kidding????

"I can't believe the people who do not like the Hotel Flora - I have been there twice now and find the hotel value for money and excellent.

I have stayed in 5 star hotels in the UK and none of them have been as clean as the Flora!

I liked the hotel so much I am taking all my family in June for my wedding - they are all staying at the Flora.

The waiters were lovely and my fiance is allergic to Fish and Nuts and the waiters were very accomodating.

This hotel is in an ideal location and I love it!!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 17th of May 2006

Four stars? Seriously?

"The hotel was really a 3 star hotel I think. But, I swear the Italians are paying off the rating people somewhere, since there was not much consistency among the four star hotels we stayed at. The hotel was decent, i hope it was cheap, we got a nice room by the courtyard in the back, and not the noisy street. The staff was friendly and helpful. The walk to the center wasn't too bad, the town is cute. But do not eat at this restaurant! In two weeks of hotel food, this was by far the worst food. We skipped our included meal on the second night and ate out at a fun restaurant called something like Il Favorito - Giardino. Not sure, go eat there for a relaxed atmosphere and good, affordable food."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of April 2006

Charming, Clean and Comfortable

"Took my 9 year old daughter on her first visit to Southern Italy.Hotel Grand Flora was the perfect place for a mother and daughter to relax. The staff were friendly and efficient. The waiters were charming and attentive. The room was clean and nicely furnished.
Franco the waiter made my daughter feel like a princess - nothing was too much trouble and, as my daughter can be a fussy eater, if there was nothing on the menu she liked they made her special pasta pomodoro dishes that she loved.
We went on several excursions and can recommend visiting Capri and Pompeii with Willy as the guide. He made the tours both interesting and entertaining.
Our room overlooked the main road and we sat on the balcony watching the crazy Italian drivers in amazement - rooms with views of the bay and Vesuvius are available - but we found the antics of the drivers very amusing!!
The hotel is only a short walk from the centre of Sorrento and ideally placed for people that cannot walk long distances.
We throughly enjoyed our time at The Grand Flora and intend to return in the spring (with my husband in tow)."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of December 2005

Enjoyable Stay

Good

"Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel and cannot fault the service at all. All staff were pleasant and curteous and the rooms were cleaned daily to a good standard.

Our room was at the side of the hotel so our balcony overlooked the main road, however, the noise did not bother as the windows/doors kept the noise out. It was however an ideal people watching spot as the italian way of driving is a sight to behold if you have not experienced it before.

Having stayed in Sorrento previously we knew that there would be no sea views from the rooms due to where the hotel was situated so anyone wanting/expecting a sea view from their balcony should take this into account when booking.

The view from the 5th floor restraunt though is a magnificant sight, especially in the evening. Your backdrop is Vesuvius and all the twinkling lights and fireworks from the other side of the water are breathtaking. The food is also very good and the portions can be too much, however there might not always be something on the menu to suit everyone.

The hotel itself is conveniently located for the main squares, shops, bars, restaurants and the bus and train station.

If going on any excursions would recommend organising them yourself rather than through a holiday rep as its fairly easy to carry out your own arrangements and works out cheaper.

The hotel is also an ideal base for exploring other areas such as Sant Agnello (10 min walk) which itself has some breathtaking views from the sea front with a bar/restaurant overlooking the bay of naples.

All in all the Grand Hotel Flora is an ideal base for anyone in Sorrento and is reasonably affordable. It may not be to everyone's liking for a four star hotel but I would rate it as the equivalent of a three star hotel in this country. If you book the hotel with this mindset then you wont be disappointed."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of November 2005

Beautiful Sorrento

"We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks in October to celebrate our silver wedding. We had paid for a room with a view and we got exactly what we wanted - a beautiful view of the bay of Naples and Mount Vesuvius from our 5th floor room at the back of the hotel.Our room was spacious and cleaned every day with clean towels every day and sheets changed every second day. The food in the restarant was of a good standard with a varied menu every night - the waiters were exceptionally friendly and efficient especially Franco who sang to us on our anniversary. The one thing we did not like was charging everything to our room to be paid at the end of the holiday. The hotel is very well situated for local transport and only a 10 minute stroll from the centre of Sorrento. The hotel is on a very busy road and the traffic never seems to lessen! We very much enjoyed using the hotel as a base to visit Pompei, Capri, Herculaneum and the Amalfi Coast."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of November 2005

End of season blues !

"We have just returned from 'Grand' Hotel Flora. We were extremely disappointed with the hotel. It would only scrape by on a 2/3 star rating, the 4 awarded is ridiculous. Our rooms 114/115 were horrible hovels. They were grubby and smelled of drains. The 'view' from the balcony that we had paid extra for was on the side of the hotel overlooking the renovations of the building next door. There is a nice large pool, but the area around it is dirty and badly maintained. Most of the sunbeds have cracks in them and are therefore uncomfortable! We complained and tried to move hotels, but were told by the very unhelpful rep that we would have to pay over a small fortune to move to another hotel. The food was fairly poor, but the waiters in the restaurant were exceptionally friendly and helpful. If you are going there make sure you book a room with a sea/pool view as many of the overlook a very busy road. The hotel is fairly well located, with public transport nearby to all the major sites. Don't bother paying for organised trips - it's so easy & cheap to do it yourself."

• Travel date: Sat 5th of November 2005

Grand Hotel Flora lived up to our expectations

Good

"We really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Flora. Staff were very helpful as was our hotel rep. Food was excellent with a nice variety, nothing was too much trouble for the waiters. Only down side was we were on the road side which was noisy if you wanted to sit out on balcony, however amusing watching the Italian drivers!! Our room was lovely and cleaned to a high standard. Really good location with everything available. Hotel prices for wine and drinks were also reasonable. If we go back to Sorrento we would have no hesitation in using the flora."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of November 2005

Loved Sorrento!

"Stayed at the Hotel Grand Flora, quite central, 10 minutes walk Piazza Tasso and Piazza Laura and quite near the train station. Very nice hotel, lovely food although got sick of the sight of courgettes after a few days. The tiramisu was to die for! Lovely pool, friendly staff. Loved Sorrento, spent ages shopping in the narrow streets. Did so much walking there. Amalfi & Positano absolutely beautiful, but thought Capri rather over rated (beware trip guides touting on the ferry boats going over to Capri, as rather expensive & the tour didn't turn out as we expected, much better to make your own way around). Pompeii & Herculaneum a must to visit. Shops quite inexpensive in Sorrento, not so in Capri."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of October 2005

Dated Hotel

"If you book with Thom sons your rooms will be facing a noisy road complete with petrol station and ambulance station just down the road.Most Fellow Brits i saw were crusty old fa.ts.On my last night 15th June they had a talented female singer.I could see the crusty putting there hands to there ears.Most paid extra for poolside views.If i had extra money i would book a better hotel.You take your life in your hands walking across the roads to the tourist area.Of course you can take a taxi if you can afford this expensive form of travel.Every body wants your money including the flora.So watch out for hidden costs 5 euros a day for a sunbed.While the poolside barman tried to flog you some unhealthy donuts with your drink.Breakfast is nasty,dinner is same same same.This Hotel is all fur coat and no knickers.If you are under 40 choose some where else."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of June 2014

Would not rate this a 4 star.

"We stayed at the Flora in August 2013, our second stay in Sorrento, although last year we stayed in a 3 star hotel, I only wish we had saved some money and gone back to that one!
The entrance and lobby are very impressive, but that is as far it goes. A lot maintenance needs to be carried out, with peeling paint, mould and chipped skirting boards.
Our room was at the front of the hotel, which we expected, so were not too upset about that, but it was small, the bathroom was tiny with a ceramic tiles floor which made it very slippery. There was hardly any storage space and the air con only worked now and then.
We found the reception staff very unhelpful, although the waiters in the restaurant were very friendly. Breakfasts were no better than 3 star, and although we only ate in a couple of nights, the food at dinner was very good.
We were charged to use the fridge, which goes off when you leave the room, so not much point really!
Our room was in a separate, older part of the building, and we could hear when the room next door flushed their toilet, and noise from the room above.
Location is good, on the main Corso Italia, so handy for exploring Sorrento, with the bus and railway station a short walk away.
Sorrento itself, is lovely, if busy, with lots of places to eat, drink and shop, as well as beautiful views over the Bay of Naples.
All in all, we enjoyed our second stay in Sorrento, but I think we were conned in being told that the Flora is a four star - I couldn't really tell the difference from a three star."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of August 2013

Hotels near Grand Hotel Flora

Stayed at Grand Hotel Flora? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Grand Hotel Flora

• Stephanie B by Stephanie B

"Save some money to pay for drinks - you can't pay at the time of buying, only at the end of your stay. Watch out for charges for everything. "

• Morag P by Morag P

"Gala dinner mid week is a must, hotel staff were great "

• flowermj by flowermj

"pompei, Ercolano and a trip to Ischia Island is a must but dont forget to visit the thermal baths. "

• truthseeker by truthseeker

"book trips and eat out if you can afford it. "

• jg by jg

"choose another hotel closer to the centre "

• Norman B by Norman B

"book a room overlooking the pool "

Grand Hotel Flora is also called