Paradise!

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Oh, the Cocumella. One of the nicest hotels in the area. And Sorrento is a gorgeous place. Besides the pool, accomodating service, and incredible suite they offered me, the level of service and the breakfast buffet were just incredible. This place must be seen to be believed and I would highly recommend it to anyone. Gorgeous!
And I'm a travel writer, so I should know."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of October 2004

Sanctuary in Sorrento

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"Excellent location, beautiful grounds, room with huge terrace (and great view!), great pool, private beach/pontoon. However, it is the staff that make Cocumella what it is: the perfect combination of professional service with informality. Not a cheap holiday, but worth it!"

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of August 2004

The Grand Hotel Cocumella - " A taste of Heaven"

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Our Honeymoon stay at the Grand Hotel Cocumella from June 12 to June 16 2004 perfectly fantastic.

The hotel is so gracious and beautiful and with its attentive Staff and 5 star service Is something like a jewel.

Our room was a treat! The furnishing was very fine making the room very comfortable and the relaxing

bathroom had a jacuzzi set in beautiful pink marble. An automatic button pulled up the shade allowing us a magnificent view of the sea directly from the bed! The particular breakfast served to us in the room and which we had on our terrace overlooking the sea was something out of this world. A bottle of Spumante and fresh local fruit offered to us was a greatly appreciated surprise.

We greatly recommend the "Scintilla Restaurant" for the authentic and superb Mediterranian Cuisine.

The private beach, the swimming pool and the gardens are the perfect beginning for a long, relaxing

Vacation, the perfect place for our Honeymoon, in a few words…a taste of Heaven on Earth.

Thank You Grand Hotel Cocumella for making everything perfect, we couldn't ask for more."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of June 2004

Luxury in Sorrento

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the Cocumella for three nights at the end of May 2004. We had a marvelosu time and recommend the hotel highly. First, we checked in and were told that we were upgraded from a standard room to a junior suite at no extra charge. The suite wad beautifully decorated and overlooked spectacular gardens. We were treated like royalty by the concierge and found recommendations for restaurants on target. The staff, including eveyone from the registration desk to the bar and pool area, were professional and accomodating. The morning breakfasts were served on silver trays with roses and delicious fresh squeezed juices, coffee and pastries. The restaurant at the hotel was very expensive. We did not eat there, but it looked lovely. The hotel's location is a bit away from downtown. This is a plus for the quiet and only about a 20 minute walk. The suite was beautiful with lace and heavy draperies, comfortable bedding and a cozy sitting area. The his and her bathroom area was spacious. We truly enjoyed our stay. If you would like to know anythign else, feel free to contact me. We would definately return to this hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of June 2004

Grounds were nice, but that was about it..

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"My husband and I visited the Grand Cocumella on our honeymoon trip to Italy, and were very disappointed after having high expectations. Almost all of the facilties were not open yet, and while we were paying the "low season" rate, this was only $30 less than the high season. Staff was unknowledgable of local transportation, restaurants, and activites, and did nothing to go out of their way to provide good service, even though we were 2 of only 12 guests in the hotel at the time!.....This hotel needs to be seriously reevaluted, because there is no way that it qualifies as the 5 Star Hotel that it advertises itself as. Stay at the Excelsior Vittoria instead."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of May 2004

Very disappointing

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"We stayed here last year and though we were charged a special end of season discount rate(£1,000 for a junior suite for one week.)we were not informed that many of the facilities were not available, swimming pool, tall ship 'Vera'etc. We were not impressed by it, and certainly would not return, or recommend it. Very , very, disappointing."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of May 2004

Incredible!

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"We would highly reccomend the Grand Hotel Cocumella. The most outstanding thing about this hotel by far was the staff. They were the most attentive and helpful staff you could expect - they knew us by name within a day of our stay. The concierge was incredible in helping us arrange our days. The hotel grounds are marvelous, with a nice pool and a grand view! The rooms were nice sized and comfortable. We would highly reccomend the trip on the Hotel's sail boat, "Vera." The only negative thing I might say about it is that our Expedia reservation showed 3, but they had it down for only 2. It was an extra $95 a night for our 3-year old, which seemed a little high. However, they showered her with attention..."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of December 2003

Bliss and Languor

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Cocumella Ok, Fellow Travellers, let me start with the fact that we were looking for paradise. We won a trip anywhere in the world (just by buying a jar of nuts, I kid you not!), and Holy Cocumella, we found it!! I believe this is the most aesthetically pleasing hotel in the most gorgeous place in the world. In my 29 years I have not encountered a level of beauty anywhere else. It's downright glamourous, I tell you. Let's start with the Grounds: Well, frankly, I almost fainted. My boyfriend was probably embarrassed (or maybe he was secretly a little weak in the knees himself) because on our first walk through the gardens I was literally swooning. (I didn't even know I was capable of swooning before this moment!). It's a feast for the senses, the fragrance of the lemon and orange trees is intoxicating, the variety of flora immense, and there's even a darling little Koi pond. At the end of the path, a striking cliffside view of the sea and Mt. Vesuvius awaits. It's magic, folks. But it's not only about the gardens and view, there's also Mario. Ahhhh, Mario. Ladies, this is a treat that's even better than a hot fudge sundae. While other hotels may have cranky old men finagling for tips, young, muscular and charming Mario smoothly arranges your lounge chair every couple of hours to face the shifting sun. Mario will also get drinks, and has great local dining recommendations. Mario's domain is the the hotel's private swimming pier, accessible by an elevator which descends straight through the cliff. (yikes! scary, and fun). If you get a nice sunny day, spend it lounging with Mario and occasionally diving straight into the clean, fresh Mediterranean. Does it get any better than this? Yes! Breakfast is served! Yum. Variety, freshness, great coffee- the Cocumella breakfast is something that has changed our breakfast habits permanently. Who wants crummy cereal and pancakes when you can have fresh crossaints with mozzarella, tomato and salami! God I love Italy. It's true, you must walk along a very busy street for about 15 min to get to the center of Sorrento, but it's really not that bad (well, I guess the first time I was a bit afraid for my life with scooters whizzing by 3 inches from killing me, but hey, it's Italy- you gotta go with the flow…). We got used to it and a taxi to town isn't that expensive, so I think it's worth it for staying at this spectacular hotel. As for Sorrento, I really liked the late-night European feel of this town. Less Americans (I'm American) and more 'real' than Positano, although Positano is a gem. Take a boat from Naples to Sorrento, and then immediately get a taxi straight to the Cocumella. We made the mistake of walking vertically up about a thousand steps with heavy bags to get to the center of town. Why? you may ask. Let's just blame temporary insanity induced by jet-lag. Our room was not luxurious, but we paid the lowest rate, and the bathroom was very nice. The indoor exercise gym looked well equipped from afar, as did the tennis courts- but who cares about exercising in the Amalfi Coast?? What a waste of time!! Too much eating and lounging to do! There are so many other amenities that the Cocumella offers, I can't go into detail on all of them, but I will say the lovely pool was large and clean, and the bar and paito enticing. My boyfriend's luggage was lost, and the concierge whisked into action, calling Alitalia periodically to check on it, and then arranging for it to be delivered to the hotel by a trusted taxi driver. The staff truly made me feel like a movie star. I could go on and on (and I have) but I really must say in closing that I don't understand who these people are who are complaining online about the hotel. Possibly they staying at such splendid hotels that I can't even conceive of them, or possibly the hotel has improved a lot since they stayed there? We stayed at the Cocumella in June of 2003."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of August 2003

Return to Sorrento, return to the Cocumella

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"I dream of returning to Sorrento, and more so, I dream of returning to the Cocumella. I stayed at the Cocumella during July of 2002, and every experience at the hotel seemed to breathe la dolce vita. My room faced a beautiful view of the mountains and a somewhat comical view of an ostrich farm. Every morning I was greeted with distant rooster calls and a hill side painted with with the sun, naples yellow and cadnium red, and image so beautiful it will remain in my memory forever.
Breakfast was a spread of cheese, meats, pastries, and fresh fruit from their gardens. Breakfast is served in their now main "room" which was used by the monastery for the central well, it is now covered my the morning's cascading flower arrangements. Dinner is served in the dining room and terrace, which in the late evenings, the is a perfect place to drink a cappuccino and listen to a few old jazz standards played by the friendly pianist. If you would enjoy an evening stroll, the gardens are a beautiful place to do so. If led down the path from the front entry way, one stumbles on a breathtaking view of Vesuvio, Sorrento, and the sun set at the right time. The Cocumella also has a swimming jetty, which in the Bay of Naples, is where you would find me in the afternoon. You may take the lift there, or for exercise one may wish to take the Etruscan steps along the cliffs, which I did only if I had way too much pizza that day. Above all my great memories of te Cocumella sit the memory of the grace and hospitality from those who worked there. My stay allowed me to become fairly well acquainted with a few of the employees, and knew them on a first name basis. I would return in a heart beat."

• Travel date: Fri 4th of July 2003

Shame about the rooms

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"We stayed here for 6 nights in August 02, our room was dark and faced a 'farm yard'. The Service was very good, and the swimming pool superb, as was the boat trip on 'vera'.I think overall it was the room which was the greatest disappointment, they did try to accomodate us in a differnt room, but they weren't any better, they had an air of 'faded glory'"

• Travel date: Mon 14th of April 2003