About Grand Hotel Capodimonte

• rooftop terrace
  • tv channel one russia

Customer service poor when issues experienced, especially for a 4 star hotel

Reviewed 9 months ago

"The hotel staff started to clear terraces 2 days before our end of season departure, packing up around us, despite assurances from our travel company that services would not be disrupted. They had minimal restaurants open, the menu was the same for 5 days running and the hotel lost a personal item left in their possession on the day of departure as we were not being picked up until the afternoon.

I was advised by the hotel reception and the hotel manager that I had not given them the personal item, but as other guests had also left luggage etc, and there was much activity in the hotel due to it closing that day, and I was surprised that the receptionist felt his memory for me leaving the item was better than my own. I contacted the Manager of the hotel directly after returning to the UK as well as through the travel company and the manager was economical with the truth to say the least, advising that services were maintained. I have not been offered compensation from the Hotel to replace the personal item lost or stolen by their staff and indeed, after one exchange of emails, when I emailed them again on 7th November, the hotel manager has not replied to date. I will not be using this or any of the three other hotels in Sorrento going forward, they clearly have issues taken responsibility and putting a clients’ experience before their own needs. Not what I would expect from a group of 4 and 5 star hotels."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of October 2018

Hotel Capodimonte

Reviewed Tue 27th of July 2010

"We have just returned from our holidays having spent 10 days at the Hotel Capodimonte. What a fantastic hotel this was. Ideally situated and close to all the amnenities but not too close for comfort. Aprox 4 min walk to the hub of things. The hotel staff were friendly, polite and very helpful. The food was great, such a good choice of menu. Our room was very clean, spacious and light, we had chosen a sea view and it had great views. The pool area was lovely and there were plenty of places to quietly sunbathe away from the pool should you require it. The bar staff waitered around the sunbathing areas and pool towels were provided along with free sunbeds (a previous review stated they were chargable) This hotel is well worth its 4 star rating and we will certainly book this hotel again on our next visit to Sorrento. A very enjoyable and relaxing stay. The cocktails are particularly tasty! Mr & Mrs Wickham. West Yorkshire"

• Travel date: Sun 25th of July 2010

We went to the hotel capodimonte on our...

Reviewed Mon 31st of March 2008

"We went to the hotel capodimonte on our honeymoon in 2005. It was wonderful. My family is from nearby and I have visited sorrento since I was a baby, however this was the best hotel ever. Even better than the Excelcior Vittoria. Great room, food - great (but restuarants are excellent), great service. The best.
Going back this year.
Can't wait.
Joy!!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 31st of March 2008

I cannot believe that anyone could possi...

Reviewed Tue 8th of January 2008

"I cannot believe that anyone could possibly give this hotel a rating of three out of ten.

The hotel is beautiful and the rooms fantastic, apparently they had an extensive refurb the year before. However, we did pay extra for the full sea view and were very glad we did, the view from the balcony was stunning. Whether we would still be as happy if we had taken a normal room with mountain view I'm not so sure as they appeared to have balconies about 2 feet away from the cliff face, so I don't think that would have impressed me so much.

The staff were lovely and helpful and as we booked this independently because it was the hotel we decided we wanted after looking at all those available in this area, their help and attention during and after the booking process couldn't have been better. Although the speed of service around the pool left a little to be desired, it was easier to just go to the bar yourself and at 22 euros for a beer and a gin and tonic, it isn't cheap! and you have to pay for the sun beds at 10 euros a day for two, which is something I have never had to do round a hotel pool before. We also had arranged a hire car from Naples airport for the week and they charged 12 euros a day to use their car park too which suffice to say adds even more to your bill.

The hotel nightclub is open-air (but not overly noisy as they finish at around midnight and it is very low key, on a terrace, surrounded with bougainvillea and other beautiful flowers over trellis-work and the hotel is on all sorts of different levels, due to it being built on a cliff side.

Apparently it also has its own small beach, which is very rare for this coastline, but we never did find it. The pools are on five levels on the roof and they cascade the water twice a day which is lovely. Once again the views from here are amazing, as is all this coastline, although one tip - If you do the Amalfi Drive, I would take a trip, or you can go by boat, because we ended up on it by mistake as we arrived, and it is very very hairy, with Italian driving and very tight bends and sheer drops to contend with. In a driven car you get to just enjoy the scenery, not feel for your rosary beads and worry for your wing mirrors, all the time.

We went there because it was a special birthday for my husband and so we wanted something a bit special and romantic, and this hotel really ticked all those boxes so we bit the bullet on the price, but then, nothing about Sorrento is cheap, even eating outside the hotel (which we love to do) was a lot more expensive than we have experienced in other parts of Italy and across the bay to Capri and you will really see how the other half live and shop. Two small beers in a basic small bar near the harbour set us back 15 euros (about £10).

On my husband's actual birthday, it happened to coincide with the climax of a religious festival and the hotel's weekly gala night dinner which was something else, and the food was fantastic with so much choice it was unreal. The staff helped me to arrange a lovely table on the terrace with the full bay of Naples views and made him an amazing birthday cake, which was the best, booziest and chocolatiest I have ever tasted, and surprised him with it at the end of the meal, complete with champagne (don't even go there with the french stuff, Moet and Chandon will set you back 150 euros a bottle, but the good Italian stuff is very good) and photos, and their rendition of Happy Birthday to you. All in all they made it a very memorable night for him, and with it being the end of the festival he even got a firework display to end the night. All in all it was a very memorable holiday and I would definitely recommend this hotel it to anyone,

BUT don't even look at it if you are on a budget. In fact on a budget I would forget Sorrento as a whole. I know we went at the end of July, which we wouldn't normally do, but the birthday happened to be on the 30th so we had no option and we paid over 330 Euros a night for bed and breakfast for the two of us, before adding any of the other extras. We are actually going to stay at a Marriott on the Red Sea this year for two weeks, including air fares for £600 less than the accommodation (bed and breakfast) alone cost us for one week only at this hotel. So a special occasion is probably the answer and we did witness three weddings that they did whilst we were there and they were lovely. Would we go back? well It would probably be a few years before I went back to Sorrento anyway, but yes we would definitley go back to either this or one of the other three hotels that this Marinello Group owns in Sorrrento, which are all of this or similar standard. "

• Travel date: Tue 8th of January 2008

The staff and the service was extremely...

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2007

"The staff and the service was extremely poor, the food not very good although we were half board we ate only 3 times there preferring to go down into town to eat. The only meals we had that were anything like you should have expected were breakfast (even they could not mess up fresh fruit) and the Gala dinner.

We paid extra for a sea view and balcony; yes, we got both. The room was 20 feet above the main road and the balcony was 6 inches wide! So you could not enjoy either because of the noise and fumes. A lso the room was under a room used for functions - we had all the noise from them and the staff clearing away scraping chairs and tables across the floor 2 nights of our stay.

The grand entrance to the hotel is best thing going for it as the rest of it was certainly not 4* but a poor 2*. Also it’s the only hotel l have been to that charges you for chairs to sit by the pool.

• Travel date: Thu 20th of December 2007

The reviewer who gave this hotel a ratin...

Reviewed Tue 12th of June 2007

"The reviewer who gave this hotel a rating of 3/10 must have got their hotels muddled up. They do not offer all inclusive, not suitable for students so they don't stay here, fabulous service. This is such a great hotel we are going back this year.

Beautiful grounds, pool and great location with views to die for. Rooms are spotless and the staff service is impeccable.
Food and drink is not cheap but a short walk into Sorrento to purchase lunch and bottles of drink is a way to budget. This hotel experiences high levels of repeat clientele. No wonder.

• Travel date: Tue 12th of June 2007

This is positively the worst hotel I hav...

Reviewed Fri 27th of April 2007

"This is positively the worst hotel I have been to. The service was extremely poor and the staff were incompetent.

My family and I waited 2 hours until our rooms were ready and when we arrived the beds had not been made and the bathrooms were full of pubic hairs.

My daughters bed was extremely uncomfortable with most of the springs up.

There were students upstairs that made a lot of noise until 3 o'clock in the morning.

We then tried to get away for the day and our boat was double booked."

• Travel date: Fri 27th of April 2007

Having previously visited Sorrento for a...

Reviewed Wed 4th of January 2006

"Having previously visited Sorrento for a holiday, this year we returned to get married in the beautiful Cloisters in the town. The whole experience was wonderful. The Grand Hotel Capodimonte was fabulous and every wish catered for. All the staff were friendly, polite and helpful. The views from the fantastic pool were breathtaking and a sea view room is definitely worth the extra money.

Our only grump with the hotel this year was that due to the unexpected thunderstorms while we were there we had to eat our evening meal inside rather than on the veranda with views to Mount Vesuvius and the hustle and bustle of night time Sorrento below! The Thomson Wedding co-ordinator took all worries and stress away from us.

We were consulted on everything and then she simply dealt with booking everything and the day was perfect!

I would 100% recommend this holiday to anyone!"

• Travel date: Wed 4th of January 2006

A special place

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"We honeymooned here a couple of years ago, and maybe it was just because we were still on a high from the wedding, but we found it the most romantic hotel we've been to.
Our room itself wasn't anything to write home about, but it was clean and comfortable and perfectly good enough.
We found the staff to be extremely helpful and friendly, and couldn't fault them, particularly if you make the effort to try speaking a little Italian.
The highlight of our day was getting dressed up and coming to dinner, where the setting and the waiters make you feel really special. The food itself was to die for - even my husband agreed, and he's a real food snob! In fact, after a 2-day trip to Rome, we rushed back so we could be in time for dinner, and we're still mourning the loss of the previous night's when we were in Rome!
The pools are lovely, although a little crowded. I must admit, it is too much to expect you to pay to use a sunbed in your own hotel, but such is life. We just used the deck-chairs instead (which are free!)!
The views from the hotel over the rest of Sorrento and the Bay of Naples are just amazing. We spent many a happy evening sitting on the terrace, looking out at the view. The musical entertainment is a little cheesy, but it kind of adds to the atmosphere!
Location-wise, the hotel is perfect. It's just at one end of Sorrento where you can easily walk to the bars, shops and restaurants, and the train station is a 10/15 minute walk away. There's a shop practically over the road (which is a bit difficult to cross!), and a lovely walk along the cliff-edge in the opposite direction.
We can't wait to go back, and would recommend it to anyone!"

• Travel date: Sat 11th of June 2005

Fantastic!!!

Reviewed Mon 22nd of October 2012

"Wonderful views whether of Bay or Lemon groves. Staff were very accommodating and food was fantastic. Single room a little small, but didn't spend much time in room anyway. I spent 3 nights with a pilgrimage tour group and had access to many churches and tours to Capri and Positano."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of June 2005

capodimonte,never again

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"My mum and I stayed at the Capodimonte for the past two weeks. And I say never again.
The entrance Was very grand and shiny and promissing but once we got to our room things changed.
Our room was in the old part of the hotel and had old furniture i.e.NOT antique. The balcony had stale old plastic furniture.
The shower-head was clogged,and I had to ask 3 times to repair it.
I couldn't plug in my hairdryer and when I asked for an adapter the receptionist said coldly that they didn't have any. We had to buy one ourselves.
We had to pay 5 euro's a day to have a comfortable chair by the pool(WHAAAT??)
The waiters in the restaurant were rude and creepy and looked down my cleavage. And I won't even talk about the food. Let's just say that we lost a few pounds when got back home!
A lousy way to spend so much money!"

• Travel date: Sun 5th of June 2005

Wonderful views

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"Just returned from a great time in Sorrento. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful but you have to be firm e.g insist on more towels and it was extremely hot so we asked if the airconditioning could be put on( normally in June) which was not a problem. Our room was on an upper floor with spectacular views of Vesuvius and the whole of Sorrento. The evenings can be quite noisy in the rooms if you have one facing the road but with the aircon on and the windows closed this is not a problem. The pools are great and we had no problem getting a sunbed.
Breakfast was very nice with a large choice e.g fruit, bread, eggs, bacon. All in all a lovely place to stay"

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of June 2005