Art Hotel Gran Paradiso

Via Catigliano 9, 80067, Sorrento Italy

Can't beat the View

"Spent the third week of September at the Gran Paradiso. Location is excellent, high above a cliff with gorgeous views of the Med. Definetely splurge and get a sea view room. Rooms were, however, sparse, with a dorm room feeling. Having a balcony overlooking the water and Mount Vesuvius made up for the room, we spent most of our time just sitting out on our balcony. Request a citronella candle for your balcony as the bugs can be annoying. Pool area was beautiful. Hotel decor dates back from the 70's. A lot of tour companies stay here. Clientele seemed to range in the 60-70 year old bracket, I did feel like the youngest one there (I'm in my early 40's). Three nights during the week they had a kereoake singer for dancing which lasted close to midnight. Can be noisy for those having a balcony if you have to get up early the next morning. Dining room was nice, however, at 25 Euro a bit expensive for dinner. Note that your drinks (no matter what you drink, even a soda) is not part of the 25 Euro which I thought absurd. International phone card purchased to call to the US never worked from our room (management said phones were computerized through main desk). There is a Telecom "store" right in the town center which made it easy to call home. Bruno at the front desk was the most helpful and very professional. You can probably find a better hotel in Sorrento but if all you want is a view this hotel is very suitable."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of October 2005

love it

Good

"stayed at the paradisio twice..i had a great time .it is in a very quiet area but i like that about the place.the staff is really nice...take the time to tell nella'at the bar''hello because she has a great smile but she is a little shy...can't wait to go back."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of October 2005

Prego!

Good

"After reading some of the online reviews of the hotel Gran Paradiso I hadn't quite been sure what to expect. The location is up a very steep and narrow road, high on a hillside which appears more daunting than it actually is, the walk down is fine, takes a matter of minutes and situated smack in the middle of Sorrento itself and St Angnello (10mins ish walk to each!). The walk up isnt as bad as it looks but i would recommend that you only do it if you have to, the shuttle bus is frequent enough for it not to be of any real problem. Mariano and Mr Wink (i don't know his actual name and any half pretty female will understand im sure!) the shuttle bus drivers are happy to stop and pick you up along the way if you indicate you'd like them to, Mariano even drove down on the gala night on which the bus doesn't run to pick us up after a trip to rome. The bus can be busy but often extra runs or another smaller bus runs as well to cover this.

This is essential, if you haven't done so already get onto you travel agent and request a sea view room, if you don't there is a chance you will overlook a wall or a tree! The view is absolutely breathtaking it is unbeatable no matter where you are in sorrento and there are pleanty of fabulous views around. We didn't have the sea view, the room was fine, comfortable and clean, and for the amount of time spent in the room the lack of view wasn't too bad, but can't deny it would have been the icing on the cake!

The food is fantastic, i'm a bit unsure why so many of the reviews seem to say its not very traditional. The breakfast is a cold buffet and having spent many a holiday in Europe is a pretty typical continental breakfast, not quite sure what people were expecting to find! Evening meal tended to have a good selection between the traditinal pastas and meat dishes as well as local desserts, but they soups and less italian meals available. It catered on the whole to everyone. Seafood lovers may be dissappointed but a trip into marina grande for lunch at least once is well worth it to make up for it, and the vegetarian choices were fantastic. The waiters are brilliant, really friendly, as are the bar staff, and head waiter Guiseppe with his dazzling grin has the place running like clockwork!

Overall, this hotel isn't for children, people wanting a quiet relaxing environment Gran Paradiso is perfect. I'd certainly go back, the good far outweighs the bad."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of September 2005

Excellent stay

"views excellent, hotel staff very friendly and helpful, the food was fantastic, no complaints. Only let down was the hill, but my partner and I are fairly fit so not to much problem, but I think it could be a problem for someone less fit. In my opinion four stars and quite rightly so, good value for money."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of September 2005

A pleasant surprise!

Good

"My family and I have just returned from a week in this Hotel, which was allocated to us on arrival as we got a late booking. I have to say I have always been dubious about AOA deals, but decided to take a chance and I am pleased to say I was not disappointed! Due to the late deal, we had to book 2 rooms for a family of 4 as no family rooms were available, but on arrival we were offered a switch into a family room, with stunning views over the bay free of charge - bargain! The hotel staff are charming and friendly - Guiseppe the maitre'd in the restaurant whose tan makes him look like he's been tango'ed was very pleasant, and Marco who runs the bar area always made a point of making a fuss over my 4 year old son who loved the attention! The breakfast to be honest was naff - salty ham, rubbery cheese, stale cereal and some disgusting concoction masquerading as coffee, but this was made up for by the evening meal, which was always along similar themes, but was sufficiently varied to cater for ours and my kids tastes, and was well prepared, and served at your table by the waiter. The pool area is great, kids loved it (drinks prices as expected a bit steep - 3.5 euros for a peroni), and has the same stunning views over the bay. Admittedly the hotel is a bit distant from the centre of sorrento, which meant that although we had a car, we had to rely on the courtesy bus if we wanted to go out for the evening and have a drink, but this was fine even though the return times in the evenings are either 9.30 or 11.00 - one somewhere in between around 10.15 would have been ideal, but thats just being picky! The pool snack bar serves excellent snacks (pizza, chicken, salads etc) but has restricted opening hours. Overall, we had a great week, and my wife and kids have booked to go back again to this hotel later this year, where unfortunately lack of holidays from work means I will not be attending!"

• Travel date: Tue 16th of August 2005

FANTASTIC

"In July,my family and I had 2 fantastic weeks at the hotel. The view breathtaking, food was gourmet,the staff very friendly,shuttle bus handy and well used,the pool lovely and refreshing,would love to go back next year for more of the same."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of August 2005

very friendly

"loved the views, clean and comfortable rooms, though ask for a sea view.
pool great, all the staff were very friendly. One drawback was the food, good on some nights but just ok on others. Bit of a trek up the hill but the courtesy bus was very handy. About half hour walk to Sorrento. Can recommand a couple of very good restaurants. Certainly visit Positano, go by Sita bus 1.45 euros each and take a ferry back 6euros each (1hr 45 mins but great views) Stayed for two weeks with two daughters 14 and 17, none of us wanted to come home."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of August 2005

Loved It!!!

"After a mad week of touring, this was a welcome break. We had a clean room with a stunning view overlooking the pool. The staff was polite and our waiter was fabulous. Breakfast left something to be desired, but the snack bar and dinner provided wonderful food. We loved that there were fresh flowers in the lobby. The shuttle bus schedule is strict, so be sure and arrive a few minutes early both at the hotel and the bus station, but we felt it ran enough times (7 or 8 a day, I believe) and it was free! (Unlike our hotel in Rome.) We would go back again to this lovely hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of July 2005

Lovely Hotel

"We stayed at this hotel in 1999 and we loved it. I must say that some of the reviews have surprised me. Maybe the hotel has changed alot since then. The views are fantastic and the rooms were quite nice, but pay for a seaview. We did not pay for a seaview and we were facing a cliff at the back. It was okay but it was noisy. We asked for a seaview and on our second week we were advised that one was available well worth the extra money. We found the food in 1999 was good and the service was excellent, ou only gripe was sharing a table with others. You get used to it. We are well travelled vistors to Sorrento having been there five times. Three times at hotel Maria, once at Gran Paradiso and once at Hilton Sorrento Palace. We love Sorrento, it is our favourite place in all of the Meditteranean and we will be back again very soon."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of July 2005

not a four star hotel!

"This hotel has some spectacular views,and being 1/2 way up a mountain is very quiet,compared to busy sorrento.The hotel does not have tennis courts,nor is it any where near a beach.The food choice is very limited,and certainly not 4* quality.You are dependant upon the hotel bus for transport, which is not particularly frequent and gets overcrowded.Do not come here if have kids.There is no fridge,tea or coffee in room.Will never stop here again and advise you never to come here!"

• Travel date: Fri 1st of July 2005

This hotel is located on a hillside with...

"This hotel is located on a hillside with fantastic views across the bay to Vesuvius and over the rooftops of Sorrento to Capri. We saw some fantastic sunsets over Capri from our terrace (room 205). The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The free hotel bus was very reliable and ran into Sorrento rail and bus station on an almost hourly basis, starting at 07:45 with the last bus back at 23:00. The hotel is full of modern art works and was kept spotlessly clean by the housekeeping staff. The public areas are very light and spacious and the pool area is large with lovely views out to sea and across the bay to Naples.

The buffet breakfast offered all you could want from scrambled eggs with bacon or sausage to cereals, fresh fruit, meats, cheeses and pastries. The fresh coffee was strong and delicious. We only stayed at the hotel one lunch time and ordered a club sandwich and when it came from the kitchen even this looked like a work of art. Evening meals are waiter service with a choice of four starters, four mains and desserts. If you are a vegetarian you can tell the kitchen and they will cater for you. We thought the food was excellent. During our stay we also experienced two gala evenings where a set 4 course meal was offered. The maitre d’, Giuseppe, ran the restaurant and was very friendly and efficient as were all the other staff.

We found everything perfect for us here and, if we return to Sorrento, I’m sure we will return to this hotel. "

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of July 2012

Very unpleasant

"As a regular worldwide traveller, this was most definitely the worst holiday I've ever had. Unpleasant, extremely rude and surly staff, hard to find a smile, - had a tut once on requesting a cocktail! No pleasantries whatsoever... Rooms basic and small for 4* but general opinions were it was 3* at best. Food ok.
Situation difficult as you are reliant on the timings of their courtesy bus to and from the hotel into the town. You could arrive half an hour or more before the next bus is due, and either have to hang around, or pay for an expensive taxi ride.

Saving grace... pool with a view! But, if you want to pay good money purely for this view, then I suggest you go elsewhere - somewhere less unpleasant and more convenient.
There are lots of hotels overlooking the Bay of Naples with this view within walking distance of the town.

This hotel needs to change their entire staff and start again before they lose a big percentage of clients, especially clients who appreciate what 4* customer service especially really is like.

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of August 2011

Hotels near Art Hotel Gran Paradiso

Stayed at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Art Hotel Gran Paradiso

• Phil W by Phil W

"Ask for a seaview room "

Art Hotel Gran Paradiso is also called