Pool

Wonderful hotel

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"We've just returned from a week here at this amazing hotel and a second week at the Capri Palace, Capri (see review). We had booked a deluxe double with balcony and sea view but we were very disappointed in the size of the room. There wasn't much hanging or storage space and a chair and table where squashed into the space between the bed and the door - as the English say 'there wasn't enough room to swing a cat'!! We returned to the front desk who were extremely helpful. The hotel was full that night but they told us to come back in the morning after breakfast as another room would be available then. It was a much larger room - the bathroom was bigger than the previous bedroom! The views from the window were amazing and the hotel is in a lovely position. We ate in the hotel restaurant on the first evening which was very formal and the food was delicious but don't miss out on some of the other lovely restaurants down near the beach. We particularly liked the Covo dei Sarascini."

• Travel date: 28th June 2006

Ford Fiesta meets Lamborgini

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"My husband and I had a good laugh when we pulled up to the hotel in our rented Ford Fiesta and parked next to a yellow Lamborgini!!! The hotel is what everyone says it is - quaint, charming, and beautiful. Lemon trees abound. The views are stunning from the rooms, the pool, and the restaurant. Winding stairs lead down to the main beach. The restaurant food was good, not exceptional. We had a delightful lunch by the pool. Our room cost E800 per night, which seemed a little pricey, but we had a truly exceptional view - worth paying up for when you are there to splurge and forget reality. The bathrooms could use some upgrading. We liked the pool scene and enjoyed walking down the beach and around the windy streets in town. I'm not sure I would visit Positano again - I must preferred Ravello and Capri, where there were more things to do/see/hike."

• Travel date: 14th June 2006

Loved Le Sirenuse

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"We stayed for four nights at Le Sirenuse in May 2006. We booked a double deluxe room with full sea view. It is important to ask for a higher floor - the higher the floor, the quieter and the better the view. The pictures you see of our room were on the 8th floor (I believe the top floor). In relation, the reception area is on the 5th floor - this is street level. Pool is on 3rd floor. I would definitely not want to stay on the pool level (noisy and not private) or below (no view). We absolutely loved the hotel. This was the most expensive hotel room we have ever booked (and so we were a bit nervous), but also the best hotel we've ever visited. And when I say best I am including comparisons to Four Seasons around the world, the Palazzo Sant'Angelo in Venice (also an incredible hotel), the Bellagio in Las Vegas, the Royal Hideaway in Playa del Carmen, etc. We recommend Le Sirenuse, and would not want to stay anywhere else in Positano if we return. Although, I would not want to stay in a room category below what we booked. We used our balcony every day and it was one of the best things about our room. I would have hated not to have the balcony and the view. Plus, I understand our room was quite a bit larger than the categories below. On a side note, we visited the San Pietro - and liked Le Sirenuse much better. Le Sirenuse has a better location, and a more charming feel. For what it's worth, people in town told us that the San Pietro is on the decline. The common areas of Le Sirenuse are gorgeous -lemon trees and flowers everywhere - even growing on the building itself. A completely elegant sun deck and pool area with a beautiful view. The room was terrific. The bathroom was great - jacuzzi tub, separate shower, deluxe bath products. Included with the room was free use of an iPod with Bose docking station. We really enjoyed using this both in our room and at the pool. Turndown service is thoughtful. They place a bottle of water by your bed each night with a crystal glass, and a chocolate. When we arrived, we had complimentary champagne in our room with fresh cherries, and a welcome note from the manager. Not sure if they do this for everyone, but it was very nice. We had told them in advance that we were celebrating our anniversary, so that might have had something to do with it. The included breakfast is wonderful. It is served on the the pool level outside. On the second day, the waiter remembered our room number and coffee/tea preferences without having to ask us. There is champagne included each morning. Fresh pasteries, omelettes to order, fruit (incredible pineapple and melon), cheese and meats, etc. Freshly squeezed juices. Homemade granola and other cereals. We rarely ate lunch after having this breakfast feast each morning. The concierge service is very helpful. They arranged day trips for us to Pompeii one day and Amalfi/Ravello the other day, with a private driver and Mercedes automobile. The driver is 40 Euro per hour, with a four hour minimum. Expensive, but worth it when you consider how much area you can see without wasting any time. And, the driver even acts as sort of a tour guide - recommending sites and places for lunch, etc. The hotel also arranged a driver to pick us up at the airport and drive us to the hotel (110 Euro). The driver even stopped along the way to let us get out of the car and take pictures. You can walk to the beach from the hotel. Down a lot of steps, but much closer than many other hotels in Positano. I recommend the Fornillo beach. A short walk away, but more private and better than the main beach. The walk itself is beautiful. We didn't eat dinner at the hotel. Others had said it was overrated and too expensive, so we skipped it. Food and drinks at the hotel in general are expensive. We enjoyed venturing around Positano for dinner and drinks - both for variety, and better value. I highly recommend going up to Montepertuso above Positano and dining at Donna Rosa. Also, La Cambusa by the beach was very good. We ate at the San Pietro for dinner, and although good, I would pick something else for the value. However, it is worth going to the San Pietro for a drink and to see the view. To sum it up - Le Sirenuse is fabulous. Pick the best room category you can afford, and you'll have a wonderful time."

• Travel date: 4th June 2006

Lovely Hotel with Amazing Views and Pool-side Terrace

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"Like all the other reviewers, we really enjoyed our stay at Le Sirenuse. It was as beautiful as we had pictured it, after seeing it in Only You 10 years ago. The hotel is perched halfway down the hill to the beach below. It's a great location to get to the beach and pedestrian area. One thing that is really special about this place is the air of exclusivity. It's clearly the best hotel in Positano so throughout our stay, there were visitors to see the pool and have drinks in the bar. Because of this and probably the price, there were almost no children during our stay here, which was great. It's definitely not a family resort so for those who are looking to find rest and relaxation with a loved one, it's a great place for that. We booked the least expensive room, which was 450-euros without a view. Our room was on the small side, but not bad. The bathroom had a jetted tub and a good shower. When you first arrive in the room, it was such a surprise (a very pleasant one!) to see all the neat little amenities that were left for you. Things like a packet of Ana Kappa sunscreen creams, a bottle of Champagne and a bottle of Limoncello. Equally cool was the Bose speakers for the iPods that you can borrow from the front-desk. The room also had a DVD player where you can rent a few hundred titles of DVDs. The pool terrace was simply beautiful - there were deck chairs where you can lounge by the pool. But if you wanted to have a snack, there were tables along the ledge where there was poolside service for snacks, drinks and lunch. On certain days, it got kind of busy so the available chairs were limited but chairs were always available. The complimentary breakfast was served in the terrace. The spread was really big and so yummy. Besides the cold cuts, salami, cheeses, fruit, dessert, fresh-cut fruits, cereal, breads of all shapes and types, etc. you could order omelettes. The spa was really nice. The facilities were well-designed, including sauna, cold water pool, steam room, etc. There was also a gym with good equipment (according to my husband since I didn't use it). The treatments were good but not the best that I've had. The staff was awfully nice down there. The service was very good - everyone knew us by name. This is kind of scary, but they always knew where we were in the hotel! All of our needs were anticipated and met. The hotel restaurant (La Sponda) was a really romantic place to have dinner. It wasn't cheap at around 180-euros for two. Entrees were around 40-euros, starters at 30-euros and dessert at 20-euros. Having a balcony-side table was the treat even though we had the same views at breakfast. It made the experience perfect to have the view. The food was creatively prepared - for a more detailed description, read my review in the Inside Positano pages (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g194863-c2983/Positano:Italy.html). Please note that the room service items from La Sponda were nowhere near as good as the food in the restaurant. We also enjoyed a dinner at the Champagne Bar. The only reason that I gave this hotel a 4 instead of a 5 is that there were a couple of glitches that we encountered. The first is that the air-conditioner in our room didn't work, which the hotel maintenance department could not fix. Since it was Saturday, they weren't able to get anyone out until Monday so as a temporary measure, they gave us a separate air-conditioning unit which had a hose that stuck out the balcony door (not good for me thanks to the bugs that got in). But it did the job of keeping us cool. Another issue that we encountered was that we did not get a balcony-side table at La Sponda despite the fact that we were guests at the hotel and our reservation was made through the hotel. This annoyed me because it was our anniversary dinner. BUT, the hotel did a really good job at trying to rectify the situation in both cases. So, despite the glitches, the hotel made a good recovery of what could have been very negative experiences for us and turned them into positives. I am really looking forward to going back already, but maybe next time, we'll splurge on a seaview room."

• Travel date: 1st June 2006

A magical stay!

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"What a wonderful stay. We will never forget it. My husband and I were looking for a special destination where every thing would be perfect…well the Sirenuse exceeded all our expectations. As soon as we entered this hotel, we were impressed by the elegance, the exquisite taste and the wonderful sophistication. The sirenuse is simply another kind of hotel. You are certainly not in yet another impersonal revenue driven hotel. Here the owners try their best to make you feel welcome and at ease. Making sure your stay will always be a success. Indeed the décor is beautiful as you are surrounded by the loveliest antiques, as we sat in the most romantic dining room (lit at night by hundreds of candles) we were incredibly happy and later when Neapolitan musicians started to play their wonderful tunes…It was simply magical. From our room we could enjoy a mesmerising view. We searched for luxury, sophistication, charm and authenticity…and we certainly found it all! Yes, I agree the Sirenuse is not a cheap hotel, however we both concluded we would much rather have fewer holidays, but enjoy rare and exceptional places as the Sirenuse, places which like this one we shall never forget."

• Travel date: 4th April 2006

Loved the Sirenuse

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"Stayed in Le Sirenuse with my wife during the month of March. The hotel was charming and the staff was very welcoming. We particularly loved their fitness centre that is designed by an Italian Architect. Breakfast was great and the waiters very attentive. I highly reccomend it especially in the low season months such as March and April. La Cambusa a restaurant on the beach was wonderful."

• Travel date: 3rd April 2006

Great pool and bar.

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"This is a beautifully designed hotel, mixing contemporary design with antiques and objet d'arts. The pool area is gorgeous with a great view of the beach. They also have a fantastic cocktail bar which is nice to visit before going out to dinner. The only drawback for me was that we got the last available room which wasn't great. It had a view of the duomo but was so small that there was hardly even room for our luggage. Although I knew we just had a standard room I have to admit I was disappointed as it was still pretty expensive. If they only have a standard room available I'd recommend staying at the Poseidon instead as the rooms are larger there. Overall though, it's a beautiful hotel and I'd recommend you pop in for dinner even if you're not staying there."

• Travel date: 28th March 2006

Exceeds expectations!

Reviewed 22nd October 2012

"We have just returned after celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary (14 March 2006) in Positano. We spent 5 glorious days at Le Sirenuse. Upon arrival when escorted to the our Junior suite my wife cried, (I had kept the suite as a surprise) She was overwhelmed at how beautiful the room was. The hotel is a sheer delight to explore, with its artifacts paintings and antiques. The Dining room with its many candles takes your breath away, the food is excellent The sersale family (owners) are elegantly hospitable and the staff seem to enjoy looking after all your needs. Before you go watch the film "only you" and take the soundtrack with you, The suite had a large ipod station. Enjoy vodka martinis or champagne in the cocktail bar before dinner, ask Roberto to recommend an Italian Champagne. Dress as casual or elegant as you wish, you will be treated like royalty. For a special meal "carouso's" in Sorrento ask for Pepe the taxi/Limo driver and you will be entertained as well as driven. Enjoy a massage from Stephano and ask sylvia his girlfriend in the deluxe fitness suite for recommendations regarding where to eat. We shall definitely return at the earliest opportunity. Le Sirenuse is beyond description, you just have to go!"

• Travel date: 27th March 2006

Top Hotel in the world - fantastic!

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"First let me say that my husband and I usually stay at top boutique hotels and this makes the top of our list. I can't believe how far down on the trip advisor list this hotel is. Probably because of the price (although I only paid $450/night for the worst room in the house which was absolutely spectacular!). This hotel and Hotel San Pietro are not only the best hotels in Positano but I believe both are cosistantly ranked in the top five hotel in Europe by Travel and Leisure. This is a luxurious boutique hotel in a beautiful old colorful Italian villa. It is so 5 star in such a stylish Italian way it makes my eyes water. The photos on their website say it all (be sure to click all around the website but the photos don't do it justice). Our room was small and beautiful with a big gorgeous bathroom - all marble and blue Italian tile and a spacious whirlpool tub. Our room had big French doors that opened up to a balcony only a few feet above the pool which was amazing! Some people pay a lot more to stay on the higher floors for a better view and more privacy but we couldn't afford it and who cares anyway when you have a view of the water, the cliffs of positano, the biggest moon you have ever seen, and the gorgous veranda and pool. At night was the most romantic with the open air restaurant and the small dining tables by the pool with the three local musicans hipnotically serenading the hotel (right ouside our balcony - it was incredible and we will never forget it). The restaurant by the way is one of the tops in Europe but very expensive. We didn't eat dinner there but we did have a late lunch everyday poolside on the veranda which was delicious. Let me say a word about the breakfast that was laid out every morning. Fresh squeezed juices, excellent breads, cheeses, meats, and granola cereals. It sounds simple but it was the best and my husband still talks about it."

• Travel date: 3rd February 2006

Perfect for a special occasion

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"My husband and I were married at the hotel on November 15, 2005. The hotel provided a very scenic outside patio for the ceremony free of charge. Our room was beautiful with a fantasic view of the beach and town. (We slept each night listening to the surf.) The hotel staff was very helpful and gracious. We dined in the restaurant on the evening of our wedding and as we entered, the musicians played an improptu wedding march - a very nice touch. The dinner and service were perfect. We will never forget how well we were treated and we look forward to a return trip."

• Travel date: 8th January 2006