Vista dalle camere

Best Hotel of the Trip!

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Marincanto recently and absolutely loved it. Our room was a double superior with a sea view terrace and a jacuzzi tub, and we couldn't have been happier. It was very clean and the staff was helpful and friendly. The private beach was a nice bonus, if you dont' mind the 13 euros a day to use the chairs, and the breakfast was the best one of our trip. I would absolutely recommend this to a friend and would love to come back to Hotel Marincanto again in the future."

• Travel date: 30th July 2007

Loved Marincanto! Great choice in Positano

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"My husband and I stayed at Hotel Marincanto for our anniversary trip to Positano. We were very pleased with our stay, and wanted to write a review since I used tripadvisor extensively in deciding where to stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the room was comfortable (the air conditioning was very good - could get very cold), and the daily breakfast on the terrace was good (cold cuts, cheeses, hard boiled eggs, pastries, rolls, cereal, juices, coffee, tea). The location of the hotel is excellent for views of Positano and the beach. Also, you can walk straight down back steps of the hotel to the beach instead of walking through town (much shorter). Positano is very hilly, so the walk from the ferry / beach to the hotel is steep and uphill. Good exercise, and if you're not in a rush, not a bad walk. There are also cabs that will take you from the beach to the hotel for 12 euros, and porters that will take your bags if you wish. Ate lovely meals at Bruno's, Caffe Positano (booked the private balcony), and Chez Black (great pizza!). We also splurged and had our anniversary dinner on the terrace at La Sponda at Le Sirenuse. The ambiance was incredible (as was the bill, but worth it for a special occasion). We both had lamb, which was excellent, and the sommelier recommended a great wine within our budget. With a bottle of wine, 2 entrees, 1 dessert to share, and the complimentary appetizer, we spent 150 euros. We also had drinks by the pool before dinner - 1 beer and 1 glass of wine for about 22 euros. We rented a scooter and took an adventure over through Praino, Amalfi, and Ravello. Lots of fun. We also went to Music on the Rocks one night, but the DJ was not good. Overall, we enjoyed Positano and enjoyed Marincanto. As far as European hotels go that are not toooooo expensive, it was one of the best at which we have stayed."

• Travel date: 29th July 2007

Our favourite hotel during our honeymoon

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"We stayed at Marincanto after a recommendation from a friend who also stayed here on his honeymoon; it was amazing and definitely our favourite hotel during our 10 day honeymoon to the amalfi coast. The hotel is set away from the bustle of the town centre of positano but only a 3-4 minute walk away. The views are absolutely incredible and the hotel has an intimate feel about it that makes it more personal than the large corporate chains. When we arrived we were told that we were to be upgraded to the Suite 216 for a night which was fantastic; we had two private balconies and a huge jacuzzi tub overlooking the sea and a living room. The hotel was very serene and quiet, which would probably suit honeymooners and even though there was a wedding happening on the roof terrace we were not disturbed by the noise. Breakfast was a delight every morning and the selection of prosciutto, hams, cheeses, cereal, pastries and even chocolate torte and capucinno was always in abundance (in comparison to other hotels on the coast that do not replenish the buffet). Our only disappointment was the charge to use the private beach of EUR10 per person, as the hotel does not have a pool of its own (which we did not realise before we arrived). Overall the hotel was fantastic and we would definitely recommend it to any honeymooners coming visiting positano."

• Travel date: 23rd July 2007

Fantastico - a 5

Reviewed 9th October 2012

"After a really terrible hotel experience in Rome, I was so relieved to arrive at this perfect hotel. The staff is friendly, yet professional. The rooms are pretty and the views are the highlight of the rooms. The beach was great, but the stairs may be a problem for older people who may need more light. Stairs are a fact of life in a hillside town and the Marincanto does its very best. It is so serene there, quite different from some of the expensive hotels which are smack dab in the middle of hordes of tourists. Monica was very helpful at the front desk and was very accommodating with a last minute reservation change. We only ate breakfast there and it was excellent as was the service. I would return in a minute."

• Travel date: 18th July 2007

Marvellous Hotel. EAT AT L'INCANTO

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"We have just returned from a holiday at the Marincanto. We stayed for 10 nights (family of 4). We had a lovely holiday. We had been advised to book rooms in the new part of the hotel, which we did. However, on our arrival the hotel had no knowledge of this. We did have it in writing from Citalia who had verified it with the hotel when we booked. Obviously there was a breakdown in communication somewhere. Anyway, the hotel was fully booked so we went to our rooms in the old part and were so delighted with them we didn't want to move. They were spacious; lovely views, new bathrooms, very clean. The rooms were 225 and 230 (230 was a particularly large room) I think the older part of the hotel is much prettier. Obviously, from reading the reviews, there are some rooms to avoid. We enjoyed our stay very much. I think this was one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in. Beware of the cost of going to the beach! 10 euros per day and a family of four makes it quite expensive! But the beach is lovely, quiet, we did some snorkelling and the little cafe at the beach is lovely. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel. Positano is unbelievably pretty and the views from the hotel are amazing. Eating out: we tried the restaurants recommended on this site, Bruno's, Chez Black, Buco di Buco - they were all good. There was one restaurant "L'Incanto" which we passed the first 2 nights on our way to Chez Black etc. It is the first one you get to if you go down the steps of the Marincanto to the beach. It was always empty. We tried it one night and never went anywhere else. It was cheaper than the others, the food was better and the portions were bigger. Not only that, the service was excellent. Very welcoming. Free drinks when you got the bill. After our second visit we were given glasses of free sparkling wine on our arrival every evening as well as drinks at the end of the meal. The waiters were very friendly, happy and courteous. It would be a mistake not to go to this restaurant. I believe it was empty in the evenings because it was a few 100 yards away from the other restaurants. During the day it was always packed. They also do take-away pizza's for 5 or 6 euros which we walked up to buy on our beach days."

• Travel date: 13th July 2007

Rest assured - the Marincanto is a great choice!!!! June 24-27

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"We just returned from a 9-day visit to Italy, and 3 of those nights were spent at the Marincanto! I just can't say enough about this little gem of a hotel. I did a LOT of research before we booked, but I must say we were DELIGHTED with our choice. We payed 240 Euros to ensure a sea-view room with a balcony. Our visit got off to a rocky start when we were assigned a room with a very obstructed view. But upon our return to the front desk, the very lovely and hospitable Monica quickly offered to change our room. She even had one of the staff show us a few other rooms and let us pick the one of our choice. The room we ended up with had a beautiful view - but to be honest, we spent soo little time in our room it almost didn't matter. Here's the lowdown: LOCATION - it is a nice walk up and away from the hustle and bustle of the main part of the town - but that's what we liked. It was so busy down there, it was nice to walk up the road and escape to our more private hotel. And the higher location is what allowed for the beautiful views! We are 36 and in good shape, so we enjoyed the walk! Also - to get down to the beach they have their own private staircase for added convienence and a shorter commute. But it is quite a workout on the way back up! HOTEL - the rooms were so clean they sparkled. Tiled floors. Comfy beds. The bathrooms too! Ours was quite large. They even offered bathrobes, slippers, and chocolates on your pillow at night! Those extra touches really made a difference. (Note - The hairdryer resembled a small vaccum cleaner - so if needed, you may want to bring your own with an adaptor!!) BREAKFAST - much more than I expected. There was quite a nice little buffet laid out each morning. Breads, cheese, meats, jams, devilled eggs, fruit, yogurt, cereal, lots of sweet treats, nutella, coffee, tea, delicious fresh juices, etc. You could eat inside, or sit outside and enjoy the spectacular view from their terrace! Soo pretty! GENERAL COMMENTS - We found the staff helpful - Monica in particular was excellent. They helped us book day trips, restaurant reservations, etc. They had internet available for a nominal fee, and the computer was almost always available. We never ate other meals at the hotel, but the menu looked really nice, and fairly priced. SUGGESTIONS: You must go for dinner at Da Vincenzo one night. It's a family-run restaurant with great food and a really good energy that made our night! (as did the strolling musicians who came by and got everyone going!) Also - try Costantino's. They will come and pick you up, as it is up high and a bit too far to walk. But the VIEWS were breathtaking. And the food was DELICIOUS! I am still dreaming about the pasta with clams!!! It is a popular spot for the locals - which meant less tourists and less pricy, which made us very happy! Nice for a quiet night without crowds - and would be fun to go as a group. Lots of personal attention! Overall we loved the Marincanto - and when (not if) we return to Postiano, I would most definitely stay there again!! Keep your expectations realistic - this is Europe. The standards are not what we come to expect in North America. It is a cute little hotel, smaller hallways, little elevator. But just perfect! It was our favourite hotel from all that we stayed in on our trip! We LOVED it. ENJOY!"

• Travel date: 10th July 2007

Hidden treasure!

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"This is the easiest review of any hotel that I ever written. Let begin by saying my partner and I return to Positano every year for the past 6 years and sometimes twice a year, and we are always welcomed with open arms at the Maricanto. This hotel ( home to us) is privately owned and operated by one of the warmest families we have met over the years traveling to Italy. Monica and Rosario Vespoli, always manage to meet the needs of all guests, and go the extra when possible. It is always so exciting to arrive, and find our friends ready to make our 2 week stay in the same room for 6 years a dream! As they say; it is always bitter sweet to return home, but it is truley so hard to leave our Italian family behind. As for the staff, Raffaella, Rita, Daphne, Louisa, Franco, Nunzia, Antoinetta, Ulderico, Carmine we thank you all and miss you! Thanks again for all the memories and memories to come! I failed to mention that I have traveled to abroad to many countries and was very fortunate to stay in some of the world finest hotels, and I would rate the Marincanto up with them."

• Travel date: 26th June 2007

Absolutely wonderful!

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"Hotel Marincanto was what I expected and more. The property is filled with beautiful flowers and smells of honeysuckle that line the staircase. And then there is the view! The views are amazing and although supposedly all the houses in positano were built to have a view of the ocean, I just can't believe that they're all like this. I esp. enjoyed the view from our room's private balcony (I believe it was room 224). And if I didn't catch a mediterranean storm during my stay I probably would have enjoyed the personal sunchairs they had for us on our own balcony. The room itself was clean but a little smaller than expected and the tv was ancient, but who's spending time watching tv in positano when it's an absolutely gorgeous place and time should be spent on the beach or having a glass of wine in a cafe! Also to mention, the good service, though a little bit impersonal but nontheless polite. They made dinner reservations for us and helped us with travel arrangements. And during the storm, they supplied us with large umbrellas. I will say though that the breakfast is adequate but nothing special and the internet capabilities are limited. But frankly, I don't like to think about work anyways so having the computer wasn't a neccessity during my stay. I would also like to say that in comparison to a hotel like Hotel Sireneuse which is like 600 euros/night as compared to the 240 euros I paid, this one is definitely adequate unless you're used to seriously high end hotel accommodations. These were certainly beautiful in my eyes. I would definitely come back here and am planning to in the future, given that I'll need to enjoy Positano when it's sunny and beautiful. Enjoy Hotel Marincanto. Definitely recommended for singles, couples, friends, honeymooners! Kim"

• Travel date: 13th June 2007

Lovely Hotel

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"My wife and I stayed at the Marincanto for a week in May 2006 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Its in a good location near one of the intercity bus stops and within easy walking distance of shops and restaurants. Our room had a nice balcony with a postcard view of the sea. The room was not plush, but was nice and typical of your better small hotels in Europe. The public areas, including the terrace where breakfast is served, were also very pleasant. The airline lost our luggage and the front desk man kindly called the airline in Rome several times to help find it. I would definitely return to the Marincanto."

• Travel date: 1st June 2007

Look no further...

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"After having considerable difficulty securing our dates in Positano (due to lack of hotel availability) we managed to get to grips with NOT staying at Le Sirenuse...we had emailed so many hotels I had forgotten which one we had actually been able to get availability with! Marincanto is fabulous! A long way down on this reviews page there were some comments to concern me about rooms not being renovated etc. but Marincanto has lifted its game and every single aspect of this hotel was spectacular! After catching the SITA bus from Sorrento along the bendy roads that wind around the coast, we got off at the bus stop in Positano to find our hotel a minutes walk from the main road. It's proximity is perfect to everything. A little disorientated in the stairwell, we were discovered by a helpful maid who led us to reception and proceeded to carry our bags to our room once were checked in. Our room was beautiful and that view! My husband dragged me away from the balcony (read: view) long enough for a beach chair on the private beach. You can access town easily from Marincanto's steps via the beach or a short stroll along the descending roads. I would recommend this hotel anytime - especially if you want a romantic getaway, it is truly beautiful. One thing no review or photo can convey is the amazing aromas that eminate from Marincanto's gardens and flowers climbing the walls. Go! Go now!"

• Travel date: 29th May 2007