Conca d'Oro

Via Boscariello 16, 84017, Positano Italy

lousy service

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Arrived in Positano on the SITA bus with luggage. Flagged a taxi. Driver told me that Conca d'Oro was walking distance, 100 metres, waved down the hill, and drove off. I took one bag, told my wife to wait with the rest, and I'd check this out. 20 minutes later arrived at the steps, maybe 1000 metres as humans walk (100 metres as boulders roll, maybe). Climbed the 107 steps to the hotel. So far, blame attaches to taxi driver, not hotel. But wait. Drenched in sweat, I explain that my wife is at the top of the hill, ask if they can call me a taxi to take me up to her. Receptionist says "we'll send a taxi for her" and gets enough details that she might actually go along with it. Wait 5 minutes, go down the 107 steps to wait. 45 minutes later climb the 107 steps again to ask where she is. "Driver looked twice, couldn't find her." I start yelling that she's been up there an hour, alone. They say they'll send driver again. Driver finds her - she's been at the bus stop the whole time, with 4 bags. Driver starts yelling at her for not being found. Then explains that when he didn't find her he went to the cafe for a drink. Not a taxi, BTW, but an unmarked van used by the hotel. Finally gets her there. At least doesn't take payment - says hotel will pay him.

Check in, get room (technically, the Villa Principe, an adjacent property managed by Conca d'Oro). Notice explains extra charge for air conditioning. No problem as room doesn't have any. Or screens. Choice is to swelter or open windows, allowing the biting flies free access. Lamps next to bed are wired with two different lamp cords, each, held together by small amounts of electrician's tape. In the morning, placed towel back on towel rack, which promptly caused towel rack to pull out of wall. No phone in room, hence no way to reach hotel desk for service without climbing about 75 steps (property is adjacent in 3 dimensional space, but is on a lower level with lots of intervening steps). Madness repeats itself at check out. Discover that I'm charged 25 Euros for the 1000 metre drunk "taxi" ride, and agree to pay another 25 Euros for a baggage transfer to the ferry to Naples that never arrives.

I don't plan on staying here again."

• Travel date: Sat 24th of September 2005

Best View Ever!

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"Just adored this hotel! Our room was excellent- it was a superior but worth the extra few euros to have our own private terrace with a view over Positano that is simply to die for. Even when we left the room for the last time we had to go back in just to take one last look! The staff were very friendly and helpful with particular mention to the restaurant staff. We had lovely breakfast there each morning again with a stunning view. One night we got back quite late having squeezed Ravello and Pompeii into the one day. Although we would not have previously considered doing so, we felt it was too late to go out to eat so at nearly 10 we went to the hotel restaurant. It was in fact deleicious with great food, which came with recommendations from the staff. So glad we ended up trying it out. Would strongly recommend this hotel even though its not in the heart of things on Positano, there are some very good restaurants nearby... and you're just not going to get the same views down at the beach! But be warned, a room with a view comes with a price- be prepared for climbing an awful lot of steps! Well worth it though!"

• Travel date: Mon 12th of September 2005

Absolutely beautiful!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"My boyfriend and I just got back from Positano Italy and had a wonderful stay at Hotel Conca d Oro. We had a double superior room with a very large terrace that had one of the most beautiful views of the city and town that I have ever seen. The terrace is private and has tables and chairs. We also had a great shower that sprays water everywhere... and there was a view of the bay. so so nice. The hotel manageress was extremely helpful and booked our trip to Capri and our taxi to Naples. The hotel is not in the main square of Positano - but really, that is not a problem. There is a wonderful bus (interna positano) that will take you from the main square to the hotel. One more thing, I wouldnt book the hotel room to include dinner as the menu isnt great and no one goes there for dinner (even though the view is breathtaking).

I would stay here again - it was fantastic."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of September 2005

Hill Top Conca D'Oro

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"We have just got back from Positano and thought I would write my review whilst it's still fresh in my memory.

As mentioned in other reviews the biggest thing we remember are the steps! Anywhere you stay in Positano will involve steps, however, the Conca D'Oro seems to have more than it's are share! There are 107 steps from the main road to the hotels reception. There are 542 steps to the nearest beach - yep, I counted them!

The hotel it's self is quiet due to those steps it's off the road. Some hotels nearer the centre looked nice and closer to the action, however, they all appeared noisy due to the mopeds.

The room was spacious with a lovely bathroom, the shower had an excellent view!

We had a superior room which included a terrace big enough for the two of us to sit out in the evening.

The breakfast was a standard continental breakfast which was kept well stocked and fresh.

The solarium terrace was lovely although it lost the sun about 2pm.

I would recommend this hotel to fit people or who want to get fit!"

• Travel date: Thu 1st of September 2005

Beautiful Hotel

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights at the end of July and begining of August. Everyting seems to be brand new, or fairly new. Everything was blue tiles and white walls from reception to the rooms. It felt very fresh and was extremely clean. I had stayed at some dingy hotels in Florence and Siena, and it was such a relief to walk into the hotel. The only problem about Positano is the stairs. Oh, and there is a lot of them. I was dropped off at the wrong set of stairs, and had to drag my huge suitcase down 600-700 stairs. There is an easier stairway, and there is also a porter service in Positano for about 10 euro. I had a gorgeous view of the city and the water, with my own terrace. The bathroom was huge and spotless. The shower was a real shower. Not a drain in the corner of the bathroom! My shower had 8 jets that sprayed all over your body. They also have a jacuzzi on the solarium. Breakfats was good with friendly service. The staff was extremely helpful, and polite. They set up a pickup with the porter service, and reserved a seat for me on the ferry to Capri. Be prepared to walk a lot if you go to Positano. The only negative about the hotel is that it is not centrally located. but it made up for it with the view. I am definately staying at this hotel when I decide to go back to Positano. I wont even bother looking for other accomodations."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of August 2005

Beautiful!

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"Positano is without a doubt one of the most beautiful places on earth!

Choosing a hotel is always difficult, especially when you need to book online and can never judge whether the pictures truly reflect reality. We went to Conca D'oro expecting an average experience, mostly because of the price. How surprised we were! The staff were lovely and polite, especially the waiters and waitresses. They were willing to deliver pretty much anything to wherever you are in the hotel.

The rooms (Deluxe) were a pleasure and the views were breathtaking (see pictures). There was pretty much nothing that we needed that was not in the room.

I had read that the stairs were quite challenging. This is true, but to be honest, with the great food that is on offer in the town center and all around the hotel, the exercise was actually welcome. I actually ended up losing weight!

The hotel has an agreement with one of the beach umbrella and lounger vendors on Fornillo beach. Great location - very private and very friendly.

I would also reccomend chatting the reception staff and book a rubber dinghy for the day. We had a brilliant time and you are not limited to the whim of the tour guide or other people. Also great value is a scooter (also available through the hotel). Take a drive out to Pontone and Ravello. Picture perfect.

All in all, this hotel delivers what is promises. Nothing more and most certainly nothing less. If you are looking at going to Positano and want to stay in a hotel that is reliable and still allows you to spend your holiday budget on other great things (like a rubber dinghy) besides a room, then this is the hotel for you!"

• Travel date: Mon 8th of August 2005

Lovely hotel but with a couple of hidden extras

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"The hotel is gorgeous as was the view from our room. My only issues were based on the description of the facilities:

Air-conditioned rooms is listed in the description but an additional charge of 10 Euros per day is levied if you require it.

Private beach is also listed but this actually means a 1 Euro discount per person on the cost of a lounger on the Fornillo beach.

Only tiny gripes and I would definitely return - the staff are lovely and the porter even carried our luggage on his back down the steps back to Via Pasitea!"

• Travel date: Sun 7th of August 2005

Beautiful Hotel But One Thing You Should Know!

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"We stayed at the Conca D'Oro for three nights in mid-May. The views from the rooms are amazing to the water down below, and there's very little street noise to worry about (due to all those steps one must climb!).

The staff was very helpful in arranging car transportation to Naples for us. It seems the regular option of a ferry currently isn't running, due to tides or some such reason.

When we checked in, among the advice the desk staff offered us was, "Please feel free to use the patio on the third floor" (which is only accessible by elevator). Shortly after checking in, we visited the patio and decided we would bring our lunch up there the next day to enjoy the fabulous views and lounge chairs.

We didn't notice a small sign on the hallway wall just before you exit to the patio: it states that you'll be hit with a 20-euro charge if you bring any food or drink to the patio that doesn't come from the hotel's restaurant. There is even a video camera on the patio, beaming all the action back to the front desk! It was only after we had finished our pizzas that we noticed this sign.

To the hotel's credit, they didn't charge us for eating non-Conca D'Oro food on the patio when we checked out. Perhaps because it isn't high season yet. But be aware that if you bring so much as a bottle of wine out there, you might be charged 20 euro for the privelege."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of May 2005

Great place to stay!

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"Very clean. Friendly staff. Staff made all the tour arrangements, including car to pick us up at Naples. Even though we didn't get the private terrace we thought we were going to get, it was still ok. Even though some terraces are private, they are not 100% blocked off from your neighbours (in some rooms only). Would definitely stay there again because it is more quiet than the hotels on a street. There are 106 steps to climb, but we found that fun. Close to beach (more steps or an elevator). Great restaurants and convenience stores nearby. The buffet breakfast, which was included in room rate was excellent. Even though by Canadian standards this was expensive (170 euro's night) we considered it in the "best value" category for Positano."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of May 2005

Absolutely Loved Hotel Conca D'oro

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Conca D'oro in April 2005 for 3 nights & it was one of the most beautifull hotels i've ever stayed in......i couldn't believe it was only 3*. The staff are so friendly & couldn't do enough for you. The rooms are clean & freshly decorated & the balcany we had included a view to die for. The breakfast was also very nice & again the staff were fantastic. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Positano & will definitaly be back.
(As in the whole of Positano there are quite a few steps up to the Hotel so it's fine for the fit but for the elderly who are not good with steps it's probaly worth looking for a hotel on the main road."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of May 2005

Hotels near Conca d'Oro

Stayed at Conca d'Oro? Share your insight.

Conca d'Oro is also called

• Conca D Oro Positano