Ottimo point to the Aragona

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"You often wonder when a hotel is so highly praised if it can possibly be that good! Well, The Aragona Palace is. I have stayed in fancier rooms with more refined decor and better bathrooms but I don't think I have ever stayed in a more hospitable hotel. From check in to check out the director and the staff were absolutely lovely. They seem to treat all their guests to a bottle of Prosecco in an ice bucket waiting in your room on arrival - which is a fantastic touch, and they also offered me free internet access during our stay. The internet room was a bit cramped but if you take your own laptop I think you could use it free in your room.

We stayed in Room 206 which had a balcony that looked over the busy harbour. It could be noisy but if you shut your shutters it wasn't bad at all. We enjoyed people watching at all times of the day.

The walk to Castel Aragonese is beautiful and there is a great beach restaurant called Lucy's Bagno on the way. A trip to Foria is also fantastic, you can buy a day bus ticket for 4 euros or a 2 day ticket for 6 euros. We also enjoyed a ferry trip to Procida but make sure you go to the Marina di Coricella which is much more magical than the arrival port.

The Hotel restaurant food was very good indeed. We chose half board for 2 nights and enjoyed the meals very much and really only went to other restaurants for a change of atmosphere. The head waiter in the hotel is charming and friendly and took time to talk to all his guests. Nearby we enjoyed the Pane et Vini as Michael the owner? waiter? was so welcoming and helpful.

I think our stay at the Hotel Aragonese was one of the nicest hotel experiences we have ever had - because we had absolutely nothing to complain about."

• Travel date: Thu 30th of October 2008

best choice

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"We are back from a wonderfull week in Ischia convinced that we could not have made a better choice than Aragona Palace for our group. We were a 19 friends in our fifties , with different expectations and I must confess that Aragona met them all. The hotel is right in the harbour where the ferry from Naples arrives (we came by plane at Naples) and I was a bit aprehensive that it would be noisy arround but we wanted to have movement possibilities at hand. Well, it is not noisy and it has an excellent location : right on the promenade full of restaurants, just at the beggining of the commercial streets, very near the old town. As a plus, a wonderful view to the port and the gulf.
We enjoyed a special attention from the manager , Mr. Isidoro, who - in view of the fact that we were a group, offered complimentary spa packages to all of us and a boat tour around the island.
The hotel itself is very comfortable (perfect beds,slippers and bath gowns provided) and tastely decorated : the bathrooms are quite a treat ! We appreciated all the mediterranean decoration and, most of all, the roof pool with heated water that allowed us to take a bath late at night or even under light rain !
The hotel also has an indoor pool with jacuzzi/cascades that we could also use complimentary.
All in all, a wonderful hotel in a wonderful island ! We are already planning to go back next year."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of October 2008

Great Place, Totally Relaxing

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"We stayed in the Aragona in the beginning of September which is the best time to visit Ischia as most of the Summer tourists have been and gone.

We were professionally greeted and given a quick tour then shown to our bigger than expected room. We were on the second floor at the back of the hotel but had an roof top platflorm with loungers which walked round to the front of the hotel looking directly over the island port.

The room had full sky (boyf loved the sky sports!!), internet access and a fab blue tiled bathroom and was really comfortable. The rooftop pool was a highlight as it has an fantastic view of the harbour and is rarely busy so floating sipping a beer while watching the boats come in was a real pleasure. It also had an indoor pool which was connected to the spa which was free to use (as well as the sauna). Make sure you put some tokens in to start the jets and waterfalls in!!

Ischia is an fantastic place. Laid back, friendly and the best seafood in Italy. The majority of the population speack excellent English and German but the further off the beaten track you go, make sure you have a phrase book.

Our island highlights were:
- Nagumbo Thermal Park
- Pietratorcia Vineyard

Best Resturants:
- The Clipper (Best Fish)
- Chalet Primavera (Best Pizza & Bruschetta)"

• Travel date: Sun 28th of September 2008

We were spoiled!

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"We went to Aragona Palace for 3 nights during our honeymoon. The hotel is conveniently located near the port which means you can easily walk there after the ferry trip even with luggage. Ischia is not frequented a lot by english or french-speaking tourist which means you have to perfect your Italian a bit! However, at the check-in, the director of the property, Isidoro Di Meglio, spoke to us fluently in french, our native language. At the moment of our arrival, he made us feel like royalty. Someone took care of our luggage at the moment we stepped in the reception area and a bottle of spumante was waiting for us in our room.

The room was spacious and faced the port. We had a balcony and enjoyed the view from there. The bathroom was large and as the rest of the room very modern. Even if we didn't have the time to swim there, the rooftop pool seamed great. We had diner one evening at the hotel restaurant and it was a very good and generous meal.

I choose this hotel for my stay on Ischia mainly because of the traveler reviews here on TripAdvisor. I can confirm the courtesy of the staff which made our stay so special. For example, I went to the reception one morning to ask the director if it would be a great idea to rent a scooter to tour the island and how to do so. In less than 20 minutes, he took care of everything and called me at my room to announce that a scooter was waiting in front of the hotel! Driving a scooter for the first time with my wife as my passenger to Poseidon gardens was one of the highlights of our vacation!

I recommend this hotel and will certainly be back someday."

• Travel date: Sat 20th of September 2008

Great-if a little pricey

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"My fiance and I stayed here for 10 nights in early september-I will go through the negatives first: our room (108) had a balcony which was actually surrounded by high walls-this meant the room was really dark all the time and we didn't have any desire to sit out there-in addition, when the maintenance watered the plants on the terrace above, the water poured into the space, which meant wet towels and clothes on more than one occasion! If we had paid for a room with balcony-it was an extra £50 night-which would have meant an extra £500 on top of our holiday-too much really. In reality, we spent little time in the room, but would have probably spent more time in there if we had a better outlook.

However-this is the only real fault I can pick-the room itself was huge, spotless, with plenty of storage. No bath, but a great powerful shower big enough for two. Towels were changed on a daily basis and the bed was turned down each night.
Reception and staff generally were so helpful and nice. Very welcoming and eager to help and say hello.

Breakfast was great and went on until after 10am, which was lovely. A nice mix of breads, pastries, fruit, cheeses,cereals and various eggs. My fiance said the coffee wasn't amazing, but the tea was Twinnings and so very nice! We didn't eat in the dining room for lunch or dinner, but the daily changing menu always looked good. The reason for this was that the dining room was very souless, with bright lights. It also seemed strange to me that a hotel which has a terrace outside overlooking the port, does not open it to diners-funny.

Highlights were the pool-amazing view, loads of space and very clean. The indoor wellness centre was also lovely with the hottest sauna I have ever been in, but lovely jacuzzi and waterfall features in the pool-really nice-and again, very clean.
The location-this is fantastic! You are right on the port-about 5 mins walk from the ferry, so you are on the corner of the main shopping street and the far side of the port where the lovely harbour-side restaurants are. Everything is on your doorstep-I think this is what you pay for. you can also walk to Ischia Ponte to the castle in about 25 mins-a nice stroll.

Overall-this is a really great hotel-the staff are lovely, it is spotless, the pools are fab and the location is amazing. it is probably a little expensive for what it is, but I think that is a sign of the times at the moment-if the £ wasn't so weak, it would have seemed like a bargain!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 15th of September 2008

lovely relaxed hotel and staff

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"My husband and I and two teenage daughters spent a week at the Aragona Palace and all really enjoyed time there. We had two twin rooms with harbour views, they were spotlessly clean and the beds were turned down in the evenings. I usually spend hours scouring the web for hotel reviews and always check with trip advisor and it certainly paid off for this hotel. The staff were charming and very friendly, we do not speak any Italian but they could not have been more helpful.
The position of the Hotel is very good with view of the harbour and plenty of bars and restaurants on the doorstep. We spent a lot of the afternoons in the rooftop pool, the waiters at the pool bar were very helpful and if they did not have what you wanted went off to find it. We ate several times at the 'Pane & Vino', which was almost next door. Very reasonable prices and the owner was great fun. We tried the Gerrano , the food was good but quite expensive. One restaurant which I would advise being wary of ithe the L'Ostiricia, the owner again was full of Italian charm and recommended dishes not on the menu. We had lunch there the first time and really enjoyed it although it was quite pricey. So we tried it again for dinner the next night and again we were persuaded to eat off the menu, specials of the day etc. and the bill was £250 for 4 of us ( 1 bottle of local wine and 2 courses each) I felt totally ripped off and quite cross although my husband commented to me that we were as much to blame as we should have checked the prices. So please be wary.
All in all we loved Ischia and the people and were very pleased that we chosed Ischia Porto and the Aragona Palace. I certainly recommend it and my 17 year old twin daughters also loved it.
We took a bus trip around the island one day which was efficient and slightly chaotic. We also hired a MiniMoke for a day which was fun.
One word of advice about driving - we hired a car and drove to Posuoli for the ferry to Ischia. We did not take a car to the island and I am pleased as there would have been no parking at all and the traffic wardens were ever-present. There is a very good bus station and car and scooter hire is quite reasonable."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of September 2008

Relaxing holiday

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"After exploring Rome and Naples we stayed in this hotel for relaxing and it was a great choice. Our room (401) had a stunning view over the harbour and the island of Ischia and there was a very big balcony ( 20 m2) with chairs and sunbeds. We normally stay in bigger hotels because of all the extra facilities, but hotel Aragona with only 50 rooms offered exactly the same: a swimming pool ,with amazing views, on the roof of the hotel, a wellness centre with another pool, massages and a very good breakfast buffet. The position of the hotel was also excellent, it was in the harbour and at the beginning of the lovely streets of the center of ischia with shops and restaurants. Because the owner wants to be in direct contact with his clients this hotel cannot be booked through booking agency's and this shows in their service which is great . We higly recommend this hotel and will certainly come back."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of June 2008

Friendly service, great location on island

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"We enjoyed our two nights at this very clean, very well-located hotel, with its professional, friendly, and helpful staff. Isidoro Di Meglio, Director, provides personal, hands-on helpfulness with engaging smile and manners. Everyone, from hotel clerks to cleaning staff to breakfast servers were pleasant and very happy to serve. The hotel itself is bright and colorful, wonderfully located on the active strip of very good seafood restaurants along the waterfront port of Porto. Connections to Ponte are by commercial bus. The hotel is only 100 meters from the ferry dock, so travel to the hotel via ferry from Napoli or Sorrento is quite easy--just avoid the luggage handlers and taxi drivers with their unfortunate manners and demands for exorbitant fees. Our favorite restaurant was the L'Ostricaro, just 50 meters by foot with its great host, very fresh seafood, and wonderful pasta. On Ischia, the Aragona Palace is an easy choice for an enjoyable, safe, and happy stay. L&K, Charlotte, NC mid-May2008"

• Travel date: Sun 25th of May 2008

An amazing vaction

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"This hotel was amazing! The pools were great, the staff was even better, and the spa was perfect! The location was very easy to find and had restaurants on one side and stores/shops on the other. The view from our hotel room was onto the port and it was beautiful! I would definitely stay here again and would recommend this hotel to anyone who is coming to Ischia!"

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of April 2008

The beauty of Ischia

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"The Aragona Palace is a wonderful hotel which surely deserves more than 4 stars.
For its exceptional service and friendliness of its staff I reccommand this hotel.
The beauty of its location and landscape makes a stay in this hotel unforgettable."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of February 2008