Magical Place

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"My 16 year old Godson and I stayed at the Luna for 7 nights and couldn't have been more pleased. The location overlooking the water and surrounded by incredible gardens with sweet aromas is hard not to like!! The decor of the hotel, blues, whites and yellows were cheerful and the premises spotlessly clean. The pool is very large and deep and lunch served around the pool scrumptious. The hotel is very very close to the center of Capri, but far away from the maddening crowds, which makes it the perfect location. The breafast, included in the room price, was buffet which included an incredible selection of food to choose from. The staff were incredibly helpful and spoke perfect English. The small size of the Luna also made one feel that they were staying in someone's villa instead of at a hotel. Truly a magical place, that I heartily recommend to everyone. I can't wait to return next summer."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of September 2005

Excellent base in Capri

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"Stayed for 4 nights in August. Excellent base in Capri. View from front sea view rooms probably the best on the island. A short walk to the main town center. Food in restaurant both breakfast & dinner very good & pool restaurant for lunch first class. Very good pool which is rareish in capri. Staff helpful and will arrange luggage transfer to & from island. Hotel clean & furnished with period pieces generally an excellent choice for a stay in Carpi."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of September 2005

Great hotel, great value for region

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"We stayed at the Luna in late June on a 5 day long weekend from London. We loved it.

We had a regular sea view room the first night, and a suite the second. Both were great, both had fantastic views of Capri and the Faraglioni rocks off the coast. The rooms are nice, clean, comfortable. If you require 500-thread count egyptian cotton sheets or gold plated fixtures, you won't be happy here. But if you love a beautiful, family-owned and run hotel that has character and soul, you'll love it.

We found the service terrific. The front desk team arranged transportation, dinners out and a boat ride around the island for us. They were funny, courteous, helpful. We only ate breakfast at the hotel during our two days, but the waitstaff was fine.

We didn't use the pool, but walked instead over to one of the nearby beach clubs at the Faraglioni rocks (La Fontinella), which we recommend. You can get futon-like mattresses and an umbrella set out on the rocks next to the sea for about 30 euros, and they have a lovely restaurant there as well, where we had lunch.

The Luna is in a fantastic setting, away from the center of Capri Town, in the Gardens of Augustus and next to a monastery. The entry under the bougainvilla-covered trellis is wonderful. It's now in our list of favourite, good value hotels on the Mediterranean."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of June 2005

Standing sunbath!!!!

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"Last October, I went to Capri for a short holiday.
Persuaded by a tourist guide, I booked the Hotel Luna.
It was clean and the view was nice but pieces of furniture were to be replaced.
If they keep them I think they will be good for a museum in few years.
Almost everything was extra (and very expensive), from breakfast to the pool. Regarding the pool, they had thought up a trick that made me crazy: if you wanted to have a swim you didn't have to pay anything, but if you wanted to lie in the sun, you had to pay 12 euro for a deckchair. I asked the waiter where I could sit without paying, and he said that I could not accept to pay 340 euro for a double room and then try to save miserable 12 euro. He told me money was meant to be spent!
In this hotel people have to sunbath as horses do. Stand up but in case
you get tired don't lean on the chairs or you will be charged of 12 euro!!!

The hotel Luna is nice but I don't think I will come back."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of January 2005

Perfect for a girly weekend

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"My friend and I stayed at the Luna for 3 nights from 7th October. It could not have been more perfect for 2 girls under 40 looking for a relaxing time with a bit of pamapering. The service was extremely professional and courteous, the room was great with a lovely view of the sea. All quite old fashioned but none the worse for it. You only get charged for the pool in August and frankly you'd be mad to visit Capri in August when 50k visitors turn up each day on an island with a population of 10k. I would say that the visitors in off season tend to be a little older than average and this may well have had something to do with the attentive service we got throughout the island - I'd recommend hiring a boat to take you slowly round the island and maybe stop off for a bite to eat. And a final note to say do try a margarita made by the lovely Luigi in the bar at the hotel ( or a bellini, or anything you can think up)"

• Travel date: Mon 18th of October 2004

A wonderful place to stay

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"I really enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Luna. The setting was perfect, just a short stroll from the town centre but completely separated from the crowded streets of daytime Capri by beautiful gardens. The sea views from our room was stunning - the sea stacks were lit by an electrical storm on the night we stayed. The staff were discreet and professional. The pool was large with a plentiful supply of sun loungers complete with deep mattresses and complimentary towels all included in the price of our room. The lunch at the poolside cafe was very good."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of October 2004

Very Nice Hotel

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"Last minute change to stay in Capri for 2 nights instead of just a day trip, booked Hotel Luna directly with hotel. Had a double superior room w/sea view and private terrace with table & 2 chairs with 2 sling lounge chairs. Very comfortable bed, in-room safe, nice sized bathroom, large armoire for clothes. We arrived via the 11:00 ferry from Positano, Hotel Porter met us at the dock and took our bags and provided us with tickets (we paid for them) for the funicular, since check-in wasn't until 2:30 (though they said the room would be available after 1:00), we wandered around town first without having to worry about lugging our luggage around. Upon walking into the entrance to the hotel, quite impressed by the long walkway to the hotel, it was about 100m of a pergola that was covered in lush bouganvilla. Hotel is only a 5 min. walk from the Piazetta, but is on the side of the Piazzetta where there is no car traffic, so it is very, very quiet and peaceful at night. Also, very convenient to the bus station, for easy trips to Anacapri, Grotto Azzura, Marina Piccola and Marina Grande or to the taxi stand (right next to the bus stop). Location is what it's all about and the Hotel Luna was great. We had a beautiful view over the south-eastern point of the island and Il Faragolini rocks. Very good breakfast of mixed cereals, meats, yogurt, with a good selection of fresh baked goods, tortes, donughts, bread, panna cotta/flan. It was a great stay and we will definately stay again, and would definately reccomend to anyone."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of September 2004

Great place to stay, perfect spot

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"Located just down the cobblestone road from the quaint village of Capri the Hotel Luna sits on the edge of the cliff side over looking the ocean and the Faraglioni. As you walk up to the Hotel, you walk through a trestle covered walkway covered with bougnevilleas. This is right next to Garden Agustus and Via Krupp. We had an ocean view room that had an unforgettable view, we loved waking up in the morning to watch the sunrise. We stayed in October 2003 so the crowds were not a problem. Like most of the places we stayed in Campania the floors were tiled with beautiful multi colored tiles. From what I remembered the beds and room were comfortable. Our room had 2 bathrooms, the wife liked that. Food was ok, but we enjoyed eating out more. We did have a chance to sit on the patio and eat breakfast, there were sparrows that would just about eat bread out of your hand. The staff was friendly and we had no problems with any attitudes. In general Italy service was great, it makes a difference when people that their jobs seriously. I have never seen a professional waiter in the US, to these guys a waiter is a career, not just something to do in college. Our favorites foods were Aahm Aahm (Penne Pasta w/ eggplant (I mean Aubergine, they say there is a difference) and various seafoods. Favorite restaurants Casa Nova (Aleche, sardines stuffed with smoked cheese, also fried small fish) and Isidoro, (Aahm Aahm) We did not do any shopping in Capri, we saved it for Sorrento. The prices were better there and many more stores. There is a really cool area to shop that has no cars and is just a bunch of alleys with stores everywhere, I forget the name. Hint carry your own luggage from the ferry they charge you like $8 a bag, this is the same with all hotels. Just hop on the Funicolare and then walk. Don’t forget to make your comments here when you get back. We have had great success using tripadvisor as a travel resource. One last thing, they give you some slippers with Hotel Luna on them, the wife liked this extra."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of August 2004

Awful!!!

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"As newlyweds, my wife and I did extensive research prior to booking our hotel. Having read some reviews and seen the website we thought we had found the right place in the Hotel Luna. We were wrong! The hotel is showing it's age. The paint, carpet, and furniture are outdated and need replacing. The furniture looks as if it were bought at a garage sale. The bathroom fixtures showed rust. There is no excuse that a "4-star" hotel should be in such poor condition. The pool which was so proudly advertised on the website, though nice, required a daily charge of 7 euros! Paying for a "4-star" hotel, I felt as if I was being gouged. This gesture lacked class. However, the most disappointing aspect was the service. Unfriendly, rude, stubborn, and condescending.
Our reservation was for 3 nights, but we were hoping to cut out one day. Seeing no harm in asking, I inquired about leaving a day early, the hotel manager took offense immediately. While I was prepared for a rejection, I was not prepared for the rude and offensive tone of his comments. He made us feel as if we were no longer welcome. Finally, we were slapped with a 20 euro charge for the internet. When I told the manager that his employee told me that the use of the computer was free, he disregarded it completely! After 15 minutes of arguing, I finally decided to simply pay and leave. My wife and I travel extensively. We have never experienced such poor service at a hotel anywhere in the world."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of October 2003

Hotels near Hotel Luna

Stayed at Hotel Luna? Share your insight.

Hotel Luna is also called