Good

This hotel is in a lovely location on th...

Reviewed 21st November 2007

"This hotel is in a lovely location on the very outskirts of Killarney. The grounds are beautiful, with lake shore access and a little island with some ruins to have a mooch around. We saw deer in the grounds each evening at dusk, which was lovely. We had a superior lake view room with balcony, which was definitely worth it for the lovely view to wake up to each morning. The room was quite clean and well furnished. There are 2 parts to the hotel, the old part where we stayed, and a new block to the side which was just being finished when we were there. The reception areas were lovely, as was the bar and lounge, with roaring fireplaces and views over the lake. The staff were all friendly and helpful, particularly on reception. We used the hot tub outside a couple of times (even in the rain!) which was great, with the same spectacular views. Food was a slight disappointment, breakfast was buffet style, and I suppose it just depends how long it has been on the hot counter by the time you get there. Dinner was slightly better, though the menu didn't change during our stay, and we chose to eat elsewhere on other evenings, and were glad that we hadn't chosen dinner, bed & breakfast. Prices for dinner were quite expensive in view of the quality. Lots to do around the area, though you definitely would need a car. We took the trip through the Gap of Dunloe, (walking through the Gap and returning by boat over the lakes) which was great and good value for money. It would be quite a walk into Killarney in the evenings if you wanted to visit the pubs and restaurants etc, and it would be a shame not to, as it’s a really lovely town."

• Travel date: 21st November 2007

Like the Lake Hotel

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"As the beer commercial goes - the Lake Hotel must surely be the best 3 star standard hotel in its class - as the previous reveiewer said - it really is more like a four star hotel. In fact, it is worth 5 stars for the lakeside location alone. It really is worth upgrading to a lake view room - absolutely heaven to be sitting on the balcony off the room, enjoying a drink while watching the deer by the lake. The staff and service were very good - and food some of the best I've enjoyed in ages - though in all honesty the portions are over generous ( I know - strange complaint...) And again, like the previous reviewer - you really MUST book for dinner. We were assured by reception that the Bistro need not be booked - and ended up waiting for an hour and a half for a table. And the service was then on the slow side.. One niggle - make sure you ask for a receipt in the bar. I noticed on two occasions, that a certain barman "forgot" to ring in drinks in the till - his sticky fingers can be stopped by asking for a till receipt. Also the price of baby mixers in this bar is very much on the steep side - even allowing for hotel mark up."

• Travel date: 20th August 2006

A victim of it's own success

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"My fiancee and I have stayed in the Lake Hotel each year for quite a number of years. We loved the views and the cosy, welcoming feel of the place. Unfortunately, the addition of a new wing to the hotel seems to have come at a cost. Space is now very much at a premium: at breakfast, at dinner, and in the bar. The water pressure in the shower, which used to be like standing underneath Torc waterfall, was abysmal. The food generally remains good (and the portions gut-busting), but some of the options are straight out of the 80's. All in all, some new infrastructure needs to be added to match the addition of a LOT of new rooms."

• Travel date: 27th July 2006

Lovely view of the lakes

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"We stayed here for one night for a relaxing weekend during peak season in July. Our room was fantastic with a 4 poster bed and lake view. Our balcony seemed extra large too even though we didn't know we were getting one this big. Bathroom was fab with a jacuzzi bath. The outdoor hottub was really relaxing with its great views over the lake. You could just sit on the balcony with a cup of tea and watch the view for hours. Dinner in the restaurent was also delicious. There is a lovely walk around the grounds. My only complaint was the breakfast. We went down about 9.45 and there were crowds of people and a queue for the toast which you had to make yourself. The fry was only ok my main complaint being that the beans were stone cold and we had sat down with it straight away. We also had to wait a bit for tea & coffee after we sat down. Maybe if we go again we'd go down for brekkie after 10 or before 9am! Over all a great hotel to stay in though and very good for couples."

• Travel date: 22nd July 2006

Amazing

Reviewed 14th October 2012

"We stayed at the Lake Hotel for a weekend getaway. Our room had a balcony and jacuzzi for an extremely reasonalble rate which included an evening meal. The meal along with everyother bite we had there was simply fantastic. The relaxing atmosphere was 2nd to none, while the staff were courteous and friendly. I am looking forward to my return trip later this year. I would recommend this hotel without any doubt to anyone"

• Travel date: 11th June 2006

Very pleasant and relaxing stay

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"My wife and I have returned after staying at the Lake Hotel for a week from 28th May to June 4th. We have stayed here before and in all honesty we have to say that after our first visit a few years ago we felt a few things were a bit "iffy". However because of the location of the hotel we have returned again and again and to our delight the hotel has improved and is continuing to get better and better year by year. It is currently classified as a 3 star but I feel it is fair to say that some of their services warrant a 4 star rating eg the breakfasts. We always book one of their superior rooms with a jaccuzi and we always ask for, and receive, a four poster and balcony. The rooms are kept very clean and tidy, and there was always an aroma of freshness in the room when we returned from our day out. The views from the balcony can only be described as mind blowing. The staff are polite and helpful, even though there are some it is difficult to communicate with because we cannot find a common language. When using room service we did not always get what we asked for - but it was close enough. However these are only minor issues and should not detract from what is a very pleasant place to stay at a price which is fair. One tip I would pass on to anyone who is considering to stay for more than a couple of days. The menu in the restaurant does not seem to change so it is probably best to go elsewhere from time to time to get variety. My recommendation is to visit the 5 star Killarney Park Hotel in town. Rather than pay a lot in their restaurant, go into the bar and order a bar meal. They are very filling, taste wonderful, and do not put a big hole in your pocket. Unlike the previous reviewer we had fabulous weather - not a drop of rain in sight, mainly cloudless skies and warm. We have already booked to return to the Lake next year -which is an advert in itself - we cannot wait."

• Travel date: 6th June 2006

The most fantastic haven in the country

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"Subject: The Most Perfect Hotel in Kerry Location: Killarney, County Kerry, Ireland, Europe Title: The most fantastic haven in the country On arriving in the driving rain to the hotel we were slightly taken aback by the construction work being carried out and as i had booked the hotel for myself and my boyfriend I was terrified in case we had arrived at Fawlty Towers!!! As soon as we walked through the door though I realised we had struck gold. Not only were the staff extremely efficient and helpful but the decor of the hotel was beautiful. Our room was a superior lake room and was absolutely gorgeous with jacuzzi bath, four poster bed and balcony with the most breathtaking views of the lake and mountains. The restaurant was fantastic with excellent food and exceptional staff. The grounds are gorgeous with a tennis court and it was the perfect hotel for a romantic break. I would highly recommend this hotel to everybody and will definately be returning within the year and doubt I will ever stay anywhere else when visiting Kerry."

• Travel date: 11th May 2006

Very nice, lots of amenities & very reasonably priced

Reviewed 18th October 2012

"I stayed here with my 2 teenaged sons, renting separate rooms -- the internet rate was an excellent value. The hotel itself is in a lovely setting, right on the lake. Amenities include hot tub, exercise room, free internet access in the library (a very nice & quiet place to sit if you don't want to sit in your room), tasty & ample breakfast, traditional Irish music in the bar. The hotel itself is very old but well-maintained -- high, high ceilings, recently redone bathrooms, very clean, great service, wonderful staff. It was the nicest place we stayed out of 4 places during our short vacation in Ireland. Would definitely go back. My son left his cellphone in the room, and they're sending it back to him. Thanks!"

• Travel date: 27th April 2006

Pleasant retur

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"It was nine years since I had last stayed in this hotel and I was delighted to see that the excellent standards that I remembered had not been diluted in any regard. The beautiful setting,lovely food and friendly and courteous staff were just as I remembered. I was only sorry that I was rather too busy to relax and enjoy the ambience and comforts as much as I would have liked."

• Travel date: 25th April 2006