About Great Southern Killarney

• newspaper
  • wine champagne
  • sauna
  • bridal suite
  • fitness spa locker rooms
  • vip room facilities
  • babysitting
  • steam room

2057
Good

The grande dame is showing her age

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"Communicating with staff proved a daunting task. Hotel room looked like a refurbished students dorm. Not enough towels for two. Plenty of better hotels in Killarney for the same money. Only strong point was location."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of June 2006

very good

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"Just returned from the gsh killarney. there for June bank holiday weekend. We brought our two year old daughter and found staff most helpful in preparing food, etc for her. The room was fantastic plenty of space for the cot. The hotels facilities were great lovely pool and they had a great spa downstairs which my wife made the most of.

Killarney is always the best place in Ireland for a holiday and we will definately be returning but I think we will go to the Ryan out the road as it has much better facilities for kids, playgrounds, activities, etc."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of June 2006

Getting a bit run down

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"This hotel is part of the great southern hotel group in ireland, previously these were the jewel in the crown of the Irish government hotels, however the Killarney hotel has lost its
lustre. The building and grounds are spectacular as are the friendly staff but the rooms have gone downhill since I last stayed there 5 years ago. Little money has been invested in the decor and mainatinence of the hotel and it shows. having one internet access point is a bit of a joke in todays computer savy society, good hotel for bus loads of geriatric american tourists but little else to offer the modern traveller."

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of May 2006

Ross Castle and live entertainment at the pubs were a blast!

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"Our stay at the Great Southern Hotel in Killarney was outstanding! The coal burning fire as we entered the lobby area was just a hint of what was yet to come. Our room was very comfy and the breakfast buffets and evening meals were filling and flavorful. A true dining experience. The hotel was also filled with fresh bouquets of flowers which smelled wonderful. Very easy walking access to shops, pubs, and the Blarney Wollen Mills Outlet Mall is basically across the street! Oh, we went on a jaunting car ride from the hotel to Ross Castle. Truely enjoyable!"

• Travel date: Mon 13th of March 2006

Good value, good position

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"GS in Killarney was a fine hotel in the 3/4 star range and very good value.

The Christmas atmosphere was good when we went, the foyer well decorated.

The breakfast was good, if a little slow and disorganised but they did get my daughter a bacon sandwich at her request!.

Both child and husband used the swimming pool whilst we were there... they seemed happy enough with the facilities - kids must leave the pool before 6:30 p.m however.

On that note - be warned, children are not allowed in bar area after 9pm, which was a bit upsetting for my daughter as she wanted to go and listen to the musicians in the bar next to the roaring fire on the Saturday night we were there when we came back from a restaurant - and we had a bit of a sulk on our hands. However, as the foyer area has nice seating she got over it in the end.

Our room had two double beds, and was reasonably spacious, clean and tidy with tea/coffee making facilities. I'd ask for a room overlooking the gardens next time though, as we were overlooking the train station/shopping mall (no noise, but not a great view).

I believe the junior suites are nicer decoratively if there are only two of you - and they will provide rollaway beds for children in these rooms, but as our daughter is 10 yrs old we decided the rollway would not be too comfortable.

Children stay free(under 12, max 2 kids I think) if they reside with parents in their room.

GS is close to all the shops, very central, there's a 'factory outlet' style mall right next door, and the cinema is about 3 or 4 mins walk. The main shopping area is about 4 mins as well.

For eating I would highly recommend 'Salvadors' for a low key but really good evening meal - The place does not have the most inspiring evening interior I suppose (it's a cafe during the day), but the food is truly well cooked and very tasty - I'm very fussy about my food!.

We had garlic mushrooms (fantastic), rack of lamb (cooked to perfection) and daughter had pizza... gorgeous (so she tells me) + she got a free ice cream for eating all her pizza!... and the price is very competitive. It is licensed as well.

We also tried Coopers (Old Market lane ) which looks very upmarket, stylish modern design. The food was excellent, and though the menu is not really suitable for kids unless you've got really adventurous food types, they went out of their way to provide my child with a meal she would eat that wasn't on the menu. Somewhat more expensive than Salvadors though.

Christmas in Killarney is much nicer than Summer in Killarney - far less rip off merchants around, and there's still plenty to see and do."

• Travel date: Wed 18th of January 2006

Loved It

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"This was BY FAR our favorite hotel on our 10 day Ireland trip. Tom, the bellman was the best at subtle hints and the spa was also a great experience!"

• Travel date: Tue 27th of December 2005

Fab hotel with great village - favourite place of the trip!

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"My husband & I loved this hotel. We traveled with our 8 month old baby & had no problems with a crib. The staff was very friendly & we actually used the babysitting service for an evening. I was quite nervous, but Mary, the sitter, was so wonderful. She was very warm & I felt totally at ease to leave my baby with her. We had only booked her for 3 hours, but when we came home, she said we could stay out a little longer if we liked. Since the baby was sleeping, we stepped out for another hour! The hotel is in walking distance of everything in town & the town is filled with lots of really cute pubs & restaurants & shops. The room itself was very spacious & clean. There would only be one complaint I had about the hotel - our room was right above the lobby fireplace & once they cranked it up about 7 am, our room smelled of so much peat, it was hard for me to breathe. I mean, we could have requested another room, but my husband thought it was so great & added to the ambiance of the room, I just delt with it! We didn't spend much daytime in the room anyway & I could always open the window! :) Killarney & the Great Southern was our favourite place we stayed while in the area."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of December 2005

Such A Deal !!!

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"Through Trip Advisor, I was referred to Expedia for a stay at the Great Southern. Amazingly I was quoted 99 Euro per night.(about one-half the rack rate) Not one to refuse a bargain, we enjoyed a terrific stay. A truly gorgeous old world property within walking distance of downtown. Once we got past the desk clerk's disbelief of our guarateed price, we had an exceptional stay. You know all the buzz-words,service,location,price.The Great Southern is the only place to stay in Killarney."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of November 2005

Very Nice

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Killarney Great Southern for two nights in early November. The service was excellent and the hotel was very nice. It's a good starting point for the Ring of Kerry trip and close to the heart of the city so you can get out and experience the night life of Killarney."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of November 2005