The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club

• indoor pool
  • billiards

Great stay

Reviewed Mon 9th of September 2013

"Hotel staff most friendly and efficient. Room was airy and bed very clean and comfortable. Breakfast and dinner excellent. Good location.
Would certainly stay at the Royal Hotel again."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of September 2013

unimpressed

Reviewed Fri 17th of August 2012

"i have stayed in the royal before and decided to stay again have been going to bray for 15+ years, i got a quote by e-mail on saturday for 3 nights €119 per night b&b +1 evening meal. then i receive an e-mail this morning telling me it is €139 per night. hmmm have nade other arrangements."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of August 2012

Not Impressed

Reviewed Fri 19th of August 2011

"I stayed here with my family 2 weeks ago. My husband, 10yr old and baby. We had a family room which was a mission to get to. Windy corridors with steps to tackle (not appropriate when you have a baby and pram)and we were not asked for help when we arrived with our bags and pram and baby to handle. The hotel says its wheelchair accessible? But I only seen one ramp to get into the restaurant.I was given a cot for my baby which didn't have a base so the middle foot was sticking up. It didn't have a fitted sheet either - not very safe. I lucky brought my own sheet. Room was so hot at night. View was onto the roof and another room window. A bar of soap was jammed down the plug in the sink when we arrived. Staff of hotel and bar were all very good, no complaints there. And the food was very good also. The leisure center was not great. Rude receptionist. No locks on lockers available. At times when we were there (we went 4 times during our stay) the steam Jacuzzi and sauna wasn't working - when we asked about it we were rudely told that its on a timer and it will come back on in a minute. It didn't after 15mins waiting on it. We always got towels when we arrived however on one occasion a lady with a baby got out to find her towels were taken. When she asked for one she was told (again rudely) it will be 20mins. I gave her mine as I wasn't leaving just then. The staff didn't care that she was standing the the changing room freezing with a baby! How many towels do they have? It wasn't that busy. The baby pool was very cold - again rudely I was told that was the temp it was supposed to be. Will not be ever staying again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone."

• Travel date: Sat 13th of August 2011

This was a lovely hotel and trip. We go...

Reviewed Thu 3rd of May 2007

"This was a lovely hotel and trip.

We got a great deal on their website that covered two night’s accommodation, two breakfasts and an evening meal all for only £140!

The hotel was lovely; the room was spacious and quiet, even though we were overlooking the main street. The bed was very comfortable, and the ensuite bathroom was good as well.

The price included access to a fantastic gym, with all the latest equipment, and a nice, though small swimming pool. The steam room and sauna were both available and were in great condition.

The breakfasts were wonderful, hot and cold breakfasts were available in a serve yourself area, though there was a chef who was looking after the hot food, so you knew that the food was well prepared.

The evening meal was first class in The Heritage Restaurant. I was incredibly impressed with both the size of portion, and quality of food.

All in all a wonderful break away, though parking was a problem ... there is only one supervised overnight car park, so make sure that when you book you also call the hotel to reserve parking, or else you may be parking away from the hotel."

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of May 2007