Blue Dolphin Studios & Apartments

, 37002 , Skiathos Town , Skiathos , Sporades , Greece , Europe

Good

Very Disapointing - Dirty and Falling Apart

"Booked based on 'good reviews??'and being Thomas Cook expected decent standard of accommodation. Bathroom was very dirty didnt seem like it had been cleaned properly since last season - dirt and grime on the walls, vanity unit door was hanging off and drains blocked with grime, no ventilation and poor lighting.

Catering facility very basic and not clean, covers on sofa bed scruffy and bed covers had grease marks and didnt seem freshly washed for our arrival.

outside terrace area depressing as no view expect garden wall a few feet away - overall a very disapointing holiday accommodation. We expected basic but not dirty and falling apart and would never recommend to anyone.

Skiathos Town is lovely and the people are very friendly"

• Travel date: Fri 31st of July 2009

Blue Dolphin, Skiathos - Excellent!

Good

"The Blue Dolphin Apartments in Skiathos, had everything and more that you would expect from Greek Apartments. Not luxury, but clean, basic accommodation. The location is brilliant, right on the water side, plus the spectator sport of watching the planes landing and taking off at the nearby airport (no inconvenience whatsoever I might add!) fabulous pool, lots of greenery, and their secret weapon - Billy the Barman - aka breakfast chef, barman, gardener, pool man and alround entertainer! What a place, Natasha the owner, with her two lovely children, Billy's lovely wife Julie, and all of the ex-pats who gather by the bar each day! We absolutely loved this place. The people were kind, helpful, funny, (not in your face) but there if you wanted them. Helped us out with a scooter, one of the locals, even checked us out at the airport - her day job! What a holiday - one of the best we have ever had, simply for the nice people we met, who were determined we would have a good time! We would definitely recommend and would be happy for you to email any questions if you are considering staying here. Definitely booking again for 2010!

• Travel date: Thu 16th of July 2009

Didn't actually stay at Blue Dolphin but...

"Didn't actually stay at Blue Dolphin but maybe another time. We did visit the bar however a few times and met Billy, Julie and Gill. Billy is one of those people who has a face you think you recognize I thought I had seen him on the telly? Anyway Billy makes the best cups of coffee and the best burger Ive had in a long time. He certainly made us feel welcome. Thanks Billy hope we meet again sometime.

We were with the wedding party of Tom and Lorraine.
I did wave when we left on the plane hope you saw us?"

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of September 2008

i had a brilliant holiday at blue dolphi...

"i had a brilliant holiday at blue dolphin. We had room number 6 which we read was a bad room because of the toilet opposite, but it was a great room, the bog was clean and tidy, and was locked so no one was using it. we never had an issue with privacy either. the rooms were actually quite big, cleaning was great, the landlady and rep told us they had got a new cleaner as the old one wasnt good at hard work. thanks to bill and the guys."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of August 2008

The pool/bar area very nice, clean pool...

"The pool/bar area very nice, clean pool and plenty of sunbeds. The pool bar was run by a very nice chap called Bill, did great toasties of your choice and nice cold drinks etc.

Same can't be said for the room, very dark and dull. The bathroom was disgusting, this was shown to the rep who arranged for it to be cleaned, but very little improvement, the dirt and the dust around the toilet was there for the whole of the fourteen days. Also the bed linen left a lot to be desired, and the top cover was very stained on the inside, with what looked like tea staines!

This may not be 5 star accomadation, but with a little effort could be so much better .

Also the aircraft noise was not a problem"

• Travel date: Mon 21st of July 2008

Arriving at the Blue Dolphin Studios I w...

"Arriving at the Blue Dolphin Studios I was immediately disappointed to find we were alocated a ground floor apartment although being offered a second floor room at the time of booking our holiday. This I was told by the tour operator is a standard question asked of all holidaymakers and was told that the brochure states terraced accomadation which I should have noticed! To further add to my disappointment I find my wife and I have been given a room with a view of the communial toilet, shower block and store room, apporoximately 6 feet away from our patio door.

Because of the location and the need to draw curtains to maintain privacy the room was very dark. The maid service was excellent with a regular change of linen, floor cleaning and services to empty the toilet bin.

The landlady was pleasant enough although was not interested in my complaint of room allocation. Room number 6. Take it up with your tour rep was her reply. The landlord Dimitri was nowhere to be seen during the week.

Excellent pool and sunbeds, the airport noise was not a problem for us and created quite a thrill when planes were landing and taking off. We were waved off by the locals around the bar during our take off from the island. which gives you an idea of how close we were to the end of the runway.

This year the bar is being manned by Billy who was there all of the time to cater for our needs. He managed the pool hygiene and tended the gardens during the stay. Perhaps to improve he could offer cocktails at the bar and a more varied menu.

The stroll into town took no more than ten minutes, try the Tennis Club for a beer and dip into the pool which is close by. The nightclubs although noisy are not an issue for the Blue Dolphin, no noise from them can be heard at the studios.

Skiathos is a vibrant and lively town, it is worth a trip up the steps to the clock tower and sample some of the local delights of the restaurant at the top called the Final Step. Views across the bay are fantastic.

For people interested in walking, leave the Blue Dolphin and walk across the road and up into the hills opposite, the road can be followed around to Hotel Punta where a beer can be had and a chat with the Italian tourists who use this place, you can then follow the road up to the top of the hill and look across to Skopelos.

A beautiful island to which we will return, but not to room number 6"

• Travel date: Sat 5th of July 2008

Just returned from a wonderful 2 weeks a...

"Just returned from a wonderful 2 weeks at the Blue Dolphin. Having read others reviews we knew what to expect regarding the closeness of the runway and there were a few laughs from passengers on our coach when we stopped virtually at the end of the runway after what must be the shortest transfer ever. We found the aircraft activity fascinating and it certainly did not cause us any problems as most flights are on Wednesdays and Fridays and the activity is only in the daytime. I know that this was early season and things may get busier as the season progresses but on the busiest day there were only 8 flights, not exactly Heathrow. The apartments are well appointed and spacious and are kept spotlessly clean with frequent changes of linen and towels. The pool area is well maintained and there are more than enough sun loungers available. The pool Bar is well run by Bill and he also provides tasty snacks during the day if you need them. The walk to Skiathos Town will take about 15 minutes or so. The walk is a pleasant one along the coastal road, passing the night clubs and tavernas along the way. Taking everything in to account, I would not hesitate to recommend the Blue Dolphin. The owner, Natasha and her husband Dimitri make sure that you have everything you need and I am sure that you will have a very pleasant stay if you decide to come to the Blue Dolphin."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of June 2008

Yes. this accommodation is practically a...

"Yes. this accommodation is practically at the end of the runway, but what a fantastic sight watching the landing and take off's. We had a really chilling out holiday here.

Stayed in the 1 bedroomed apartment which could easily house a family of 6 and not just 4 as advertised. Spacious kitchen/living area with a sofa bed, TV, hob, fridge, kettle and sandwich maker, large bedroom with 2 singles, TV and a huge bathroom, bath/shower, bidet and hairdryer. Room cleaned 3 times in the week and towels and bedding changed. Outside patio area, where you can help yourself to grapes, pomegranates, limes. Large pool and really comfy loungers. Pool table and a poolside bar. Breakfast is available and toasted sandwiches. Natasha really friendly so are the cats.

It’s a 10 minute stroll down Bar Street into town, but you can stop at the tavernas on the way. Try the Windmill (milos) just over the road; the breakfasts there were lovely the scenery is real Shirley Valentine. The taverna over the wall to the apartments did a great club sandwich; Carnayo restaurant was a real luxury they bring olives, sun dried tomato and bread before you even order and a wine as you leave, a bit more pricey but hey we were on our holidays; Limanaki restaurant was that good we went back twice, the owner was brilliant, cocktails there were the best, you tell him what you like he will make you a cocktail second to none - coffee liquor as you pay your bill. Asprolithos restaurant (turn right at the top of Papadiamandi Street by the school it’s just down the road), we kept going back to it 3 years ago, it’s even better now -bread, olive pâté, ouzo and a fruit platter (free). Portobello restaurant was another of our favourites. It’s great to meander down the side streets and around the harbour.

We visited our favourite beach at Achlaides, swimming there is so safe, the water crystal clear. The cafe bars really welcoming - watch the guys making your fresh pizzas. Skiathos is a great place to relax especially September. We will go back and we will book the Blue Dolphin.

• Travel date: Sun 16th of September 2007

After reading the last review I can only...

"After reading the last review I can only assume that the last reviewer either enjoys complaining or stayed somewhere other than the wonderful Blue Dolphin Apartments my partner and I have just returned from!

We stayed in a studio which in comparison to the relatively simple accommodation which is often expected in Greece, was of a surprisingly high standard. Our studio was simply decorated but spacious and well equipped with dressing table, mirror, good sized bathroom, kitchen rings and a small dinning table.

It is true that there are no balconies and the terrace area does not have a view as such, however sitting outside is still quite pleasant as the patio area is nicely tiled, well maintained and surrounded by the beautiful fruit trees the owners have planted and cared for. There are tomatoes, limes, grapes, aubergines and pomegranates to name but a few and Natasha (the owner) has no problem with you picking the odd bunch of grapes or tomato to enjoy with your lunch.

The pool area is equally very clean and well maintained. There are ample loungers and a couple of nice tables and chairs for you to sit on round the pool bar. It is true that Kimi the young girl who runs the bar does have a tendency to wander off during quieter times. However, as most people quickly learn at The Blue Dolphin, being so small it is an extremely friendly, relaxed and well run complex and residents quickly feel part of a close nit community which enables an element of mutual trust to be established.

Natasha (who owns the complex with Dimitri) has no problem with you 'helping yourself' to a beer or soft drink should the bar be unattended as long as you pop a note behind the bar or simply settle up later. During our stay Kimi was generally on-hand when required but the odd time she was not there this system worked very well and nobody took any liberties.

In terms of location the Blue Dolphin could not be in a better spot. Far enough from the centre to escape the noise but near enough to walk in and enjoy a lively evening in the bustling streets of the centre. The Blue Dolphin is located near the runway (but this is not visible from the apartments). Aircraft noise is minimal and as stated by a previous reviewer flights are never early in the morning or late at night. It is also quite exciting to watch planes landing and taking off.

Exiting the blue dolphin, guests are met with the crystal clear waters of the port with its beautifully coloured fishing boats bobbing around under the sun. It is then a very pleasant 10-15min walk into the town centre passing delightful, tastefully decorated restaurants along the way. For those of you who may not wish to venture into town I would strongly recommend 'Milos Taverna' (often referred to as the windmill or the roundhouse) for reasonably priced excellent food. There is something very 'Shirley Valentine' about this place, the decor is simple and the tables are literally scattered along the waters edge and you can eat wonderful dishes such as 'pilioritiko' or their wonderfully cooked 'souvlaki'. 'Scuna' (a little further along) is also a lovely restaurant. A little more expensive but very chic and beautifully decorated with green glass lanterns that are lit with twinkling lights and complement the fresh white decor. Then into town of course, for a meal, a drink or maybe just a browse around the many shops the town has to offer (which incidentally are not full of the usual holiday tat that many shops are). Everything stays open till midnight so there is plenty of time to grab those last minute souvenirs.

Skiathos is a wonderful place to visit and I am really glad we chose Skiathos Town as our resort. Whilst the other resorts are beautiful other than the beaches there is not a great deal else to do. Trip wise I would strongly recommend the 'round the island trip' (stopping at 4 beaches Llaria being my personal favourite), The Skopelos & Alonissos trip is also great if you want a bit of history.

All in all we had a wonderful holiday and The Blue Dolphin simply put the icing on the cake. On our last night Natasha threw a great barbeque for us all (free of charge) with souvlaki, greek salad, lamb koftas wine and a huge helping of the warm hospitality she always displays.

A wonderful holiday, we will be back!

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of September 2006

I had looked at the reviews on this web...

"I had looked at the reviews on this web site before I booked this apartment and on reading them decided to book them, and also one of my mum friends had stayed there to and said it was lovely too.

When we arrived we couldn’t really see a receptionist and just waited by the pool for a few seconds, around the corner a young girl came and asked us our name. She wasn’t very friendly and we didn’t really feel very welcome. She said we were in room 6. She took us to room and showed us in, the maid was still in cleaning the room from the last people, and looked to be only just starting. She said we could leave our bags and them just left us and walked off saying she wouldn’t be long.

35 mins later sitting in the mid day sun we still didn’t have our room, the other guests who had arrived were already changed and going out. My partner went to find out what was happening by this time we were very hot, no drink had been offered and didn’t know were the person in charge was, what her or his name was, a bit lost. I know I sound like a fuddy duddy but I love a bit of small and friendly accommodation as I was an air hostess for 5 years and don’t like big grand places but there was no friendly service and character on this first impression of the blue dolphin.

My partner arrived back with the girl in toe, she spoke to the maid, 15 mins was her answer and off she went again, no apology. We just laughed, it’s Greece after all.
Eventually we got into the room which was very clean and tidy and nice inside all mod cons, but it was just the placement of the room, it was dark, because we were opposite the pool toilets so it hid all the sunlight so we always had the lights on and felt like a winter day, and when we put air con on it brought the smell of toilets into the room which wasn’t pleasant.

So we were a bit sad having no view and no sun streaming in, it also wasn’t very private, cause everybody on same level, and all could see in when walked past as we were the first room, so again had to keep curtains shut if wanted privacy which made room dark again. We also found the rooms really noisy, walls were paper thin, we could hear the adjacent teenagers laughing and talking shouting in the early hours, and thought it was funny to knock on the wall.

All in all I know its only 2 star, but we felt we were just plonked in a refurbished cowshed, although clean, and yes the maid came a lot, which was lovely, it just wasn’t an apartment, I’ve stayed in loads of 2 star quality apartments and they have just been so much better, views, sturdy, light and airy and with better service, we didn’t see this family every one talks about, no offer of diving, no bbq, had more service from there dog which was tied up all day but always gave us smile and a woof.

Perhaps it was because we went a bit later in the year and they had had enough, who knows, but skiathos is lovely, so just stay some where else and come to the island, and go the windmill restaurant and the tapas rest. in the town, gorgeous food and lovely staff and go to MYCAR to hire a car, he will give you could discount compared to everyone else in skiathos town.

• Travel date: Thu 14th of September 2006

Am not surprised that another reviewer h...

"Am not surprised that another reviewer had no problem getting a sun bed as any one in their right mind would want to go to the beach and get away from the apartments, not hang around. Very messy and over grown, I have seen better looking Weatherspoon gardens and for anyone who has ever been to one of those dreary depressing pubs will know what I mean!

Although clean in the apartment, it was dark due to having to draw the curtains at all times to gain some privacy. No view from the room and unable to sit outside in the evening as you would have felt like you were imposing on the other guests

As for Skiathos. Beautiful. Go see. Would most definitely go back. Worth renting a car to get to the quieter beaches but the bus is great, very frequent and cheap! The Windmill restaurant is one of the best places I’ve been, worth the hike.

If anyone does venture to the blue dolphin could you please take a heavy duty brush and a good supply of carrots for the poor horse they have who needs looking after and feeding."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of September 2006

We've recently got back from the Blue Do...

"We've recently got back from the Blue Dolphin Apartments and we had a fantastic time. The apartments were clean and spacious, the maid came 3 times a week. These are the best 2 star apartments we have stayed in, in Greece. Don’t let the fact that it is so close to the runway put you off, there are no flights early in the morning or late at night.

I can’t say I ever had problems getting a sun bed. Even those who got up late in the afternoon could still get a bed! The pool and surrounding area was cleaned on a daily basis. To be fair, Kimmi would disappear at times throughout the day, but you just help yourself to a drink and pay her later.

Natasha and Dimitris took groups of people out on their speed boat. This was a really good day, Natasha played the host, whilst Dimitris cooked the fish he had caught. They also held BBQs on the Tuesdays before changeover.

If you want a place to chill and relax during the day this is the place to go. Skiathos itself is an island where you can do as much or as little as you wish. We would certainly go back."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of August 2006

Hotels near Blue Dolphin Studios & Apartments

Stayed at Blue Dolphin Studios & Apartments? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Blue Dolphin Studios & Apartments

• welshsue by welshsue

"Taverna Milos - the old windmill - past club strip.. beautiful setting - Shirley Valentine! "

Blue Dolphin Studios & Apartments is also called