Roulla Apartments

Platanias 37002 Greece

Good

great location, spacious apartment, but well-worn and poor cleaning standards

"We have just spent 2 weeks in a 2 bed apartment with 2 young children - ages 1 and 3. The apartment is very spacious with 2 good sized bedrooms, a kitchen with 2 rings, small oven and good cooking utensils, pans, etc. A table and chairs was provided on our patio. Most patios and balconies have safety netting around them and are enclosed - unfortunately ours didn't have either but we were ground floor. If you have young children it would be worth asking for one with an enclosed patio - the other 2 bed ground floor apartment did have this.
Swimming pool was fine - its very deep - over 3 metres at the deep end, and not much of it that is shallow enough to stand in. The childrens pool is a small square which did not look clean or safe for children to use - we did not use it. The sea was calm and great for kids.
Our apartment was a bit run-down and tired-looking and unfortunately the cleaning was not good. The floor was swept, beds made and bins emptied every day, linen changed and floors mopped on saturday and tuesdays. Sinks and toilet were not very clean when we arrived and were not cleaned whilst we were there (except by me!). However, we did not let this spoil our holiday as we were expecting something like this having read a previous review.

Very close to the bus stop and beach - a flat walk, easy for our children. We had 2 twin rooms and we were unable to push the beds together to make a double as they were different heights.
Hope this is helpful to someone."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of June 2009

Basic but friendly and clean. Had a lovely holiday

"Stayed at the Roula last summer with my 11 year old son. The apartments were very basic and quite small - but hey who goes away to sit in the apartment. The pool was very clean and not too busy. Could always get somewhere to sit whatever the time of day. The staff and cleaning ladies were very friendly. Take plenty of mosquito repellent in summer months. I came home like a pin cushion! Did not buy the plug- in till day 4 (silly me). Beach is a nice short stroll over the road. Plenty of taverners which again are all very friendly. Bus stop literally outside the apartments. Went to Skiathos town on some evernings for a change of scenery. Beware, I booked a trip to Athens, very expensive and spent most of the day travelling. Bus broke down and we only had 50 minutes at the acropolis. I thought it was worth it, but my son didn't. As the bar in the Roula is small, I found that everyone congregated together, thus I made many friends and hardly spent any time on my own. So if you are looking for a lovely peaceful break with lots of glorious sun and wonderful beaches and not bothered about too many mod cons then the Roula is for you."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of February 2006

Very basic accommodation

"We stayed at the Roula apartments from 18/8/05 to 2/9/05. We (My Husband, myself and our three children) had a two bedroom apartment overlooking the pool. The accommodation is very basic - no air conditioning and no living/dining area to speak of. You get two bedrooms, a shower room and a kitchenette. The apartment was clean and the linen and towels were changed twice per week. The location is good but a bit too near the main road so there is traffic noise. There is a supermarket on site which is expensive - the same stuff is far cheaper in Skiathos town. The pool and bar are fine but are open to all - not just residents of the apartments. This didn't prove to be a problem though. We loved Skiathos and have booked again for next year - not to the Roula though - we felt we needed a few more home comforts next time."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of September 2005

Roula Apartments

"We have just got back from 2 weeks in the friendliest place i have ever stayed. The apartments where clean and comfortable the pool clean and tidy, the bar catered for all the staff where the best ever my daughter had so much fun the staff wanted to keep her. I will be going back to the same apartments as they where value for money 5 min from a lovely beach 2min from bus stop and i have never eaten so well a diffrent Taverna every night with brilliant food. What else can I say but spot on"

• Travel date: Wed 18th of May 2005

it was great

Good

"We went there in june 04 first time in Skiathos, everything about it we liked, the flights were day flights there and back, the roula appts was spot on we asked for a top floor over looking the pool we got that, on site supermarket sold every thing we wanted, the owner welcomed us every time we went in also his son, both were there most days, beach was 10 mins away on level ground (no hills to climb)! plenty of resturants, the Roula has got a nice bar area plus snacks, it showed the world cup, although we overlooked the pool and bar area we could still get an early night if wanted.
We went back to Skiathos in Sept, we stayed in the same area different appts (we could not get in the Roula) but we have booked for June 05
well worth it. Pete & Pat, lancs"

• Travel date: Wed 12th of January 2005

A very unsafe & unclean holiday nightmare

"We bought a package holiday to Skiathos from Golden Ticket Travel which was an Olympic holiday. At the time of purchase I was told the accommodation was a self catering apartment, sleeps 2-3 people, on a high floor with a balcony, air conditioning and a bathroom.

To our horror we arrived at what looked like a shed with a front door on it (totally different to the photos that we're posted on Teletext for this particular apartment, there was no balcony (obviously no high floor), a wet room with a broken door so water floods out into the rest of the apartment instead of a bathroom, the floor was already wet and filthy when we arrived. There was mould growing on the shower curtain, the fridge wasn’t working. The wet room’s door didn’t even close so we had to use the toilet with the door open. There was no air conditioning and because we had no balcony we couldn't have the front door open so we couldn't sleep from the heat and the place was extremely unclean and uncomfortable.

The rep just kept us hanging and it didn't sound like she was going to help - I had to keep phoning her!
The final straw came when I slipped on the bathroom floor and hurt my back. Later that evening after waiting since the morning for the Rep to call me back with a solution, the reps manager finally called and was being extremely rude and unhelpful. While on the phone to the Rep’s manager my other half sat on the chair at the apartment and it collapsed, he fell and hurt his elbow then went flying into me and I hurt my knee, the phone smashed across the floor. Luckily we managed to get my phone to work and my other half rang the Rep’s manager back but even after all of this Olympic we’re still unwilling to move us. Apparently they had no space anywhere else on the island!? Even though we found a few having spent the whole day enquiring in the area! Olympic left us with no choice but to check out as it had become a health and safety hazard to stay there.

We had to use our spending money to stay somewhere else that we had to find on our own.

We did not expect this from Olympic such a big brand – we we’re within our rights to be moved to a suitable apartment and I am appalled that Olympic could not accommodate this after all it is the very least they could do for providing us with an apartment I did not book in the first place.

Please don't stay at Roulla if you want to have a lovely holiday and come back unhurt!

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of August 2010

Its ok Really!!

"We booked last minute with Olympic and got a 2 bed apartment for 3 of us, after reading the reviews I took my Dettol antibactical cleaner, Towels & sheets for my 2 year old, and
crockery for him! We went expecting the worst but actually it was ok, we had plenty crockery, a fridge, toaster, kettle and oven with grill!! the towels and sheets were clean even though they were on the old side & had seen better days. The pillows & matresses could do with renewing but having lumpy bed at least got you up in a morning!
The pool area was fine, The owners/bar staff were not that friendly (they were not rude but keep themselves to themselves) but we found that unlike other greek resorts we have visited over the years the island generally isnt as friendly as others we have visited.
The room cleaners could do a kick up the bum, or you should be provided with a brush to do it yourselves as under the beds was dusty with rubbish underneath when we got there, and the floors were never cleaned or brushed the whole time we were there, however the bins were emptied every day and they kept the public areas clean. Our rep was friendly enough & lived on site but her people skills & local Knowledge wasn't great & i did take offence to her withholding our departure infomation until we have completed her holiday questionaire as she stated ' Her job next year depended on it !'
The local beach was good & safe for children but watch for the big wave twice a day caused by the fast ferry (something the rep should have mentioned) and dont think its a tsunami. The bus service is good with the bus stop 2 minutes walk away but they do get crowded in peak times. The resort has little to offer on a evening so you (& the rest of the island)catch the bus to skiathos town which is 1 euro 40 cents each way which for 2 adults is 5 euros 60 each day with can add up if your there for 2 weeks!
The on site supermarket is expensive how ever the one 2 mins down the road is about a third cheaper so go there! Also the on site restuarant I would give a wide berth as a few
dashs to the loo had been reported by us & fellow holidaymakers after eating there!
But all in all the apartments are in a good location with a descent pool area and are typically greek so if go with the flow and relax you will have a great time!"

• Travel date: Wed 9th of September 2009

Really NOT all that bad...

Good

"£327 pp for me and my partner to spend a week here through Olympic. Break it down yourself: Flights, Transfers, Taxes, Agents Commission... Essentially the accommodation is costing you between 7-11 quid a night so be realistic! Basic, very basic, but clean and suitable for us as a young couple looking for a base to explore and enjoy. Two cracking Restaurants (The View & Infinity Blue) within a few hundred yards walk either way, smashing beach bar connected to the 5* Hotel directly opposite and the most fabulous bus system I have ever experienced (TFL would do well to take heed!)
The staff were friendly enough if you took the time to engage them and were respectful - not exactly 'charismatic' but acceptable.
Olympic are not the best I have ever traveled with, but far from the worst. The rep. was OK, could have been a bit more clued up on transfers & general info. (Was a bit annoyed to miss out on car rental for the day when it was 'assured' - a fax went missing apparently... This kind of information could have been communicated before half a day was wasted, but hey ho these things happen!)
None of the above would put me back going again, cracking value for money and a really beautiful Island.

Overall,
WOULD recommend for young unfussy couples looking to have a good base to enjoy an exquisite island on the cheap. Families with older kids who are looking for value for money, older couples who are up for a bit of fun.
WOULD NOT recommend if you have kids that cant swim (as the pool slopes sharply with little shallow end), if you intend to try and be 'Delia' for the week as the closest I came to cooking a meal was buttering toast, or if you are unrealistic about what you get for your money!

• Travel date: Tue 18th of August 2009

poor

"Booked a very cheap holiday for husband,daughter and grandson (4) Having been to Greece many times before we know what basic /clean means... this didn't apply to the rulla apts. The 2 bed apt was gloomy and dirty. Ants everwhere crockery poor, cutlery mmm, not much of it.
Cleaning consisted of the maid swilling the shower-room with the shower, I had taken cloths and tea towels and ended up buying cleaning stuff and doing the cleaning myself! There only seemed to be 2 cleaners for 30 apts they were bulgarian and lived on-site in a small apt and seem to spend all their time arguing loudly.
In all of our visits to Greece we have never come across such an arrogant, unfriendly family of apt owners, there where dreadful, the general comment around the pool were that if anyone had paid the full price for the holiday they would be very unhappy!! All they and their large extended family seemed to do was spend all their time in the bar area smoking and chatting. The only people who had a smile on their faces were the 2 barmen, well done under trying circumstances. maintenance was an issue, our toilet was repaired with a piece of wire and was still like that as we left, the plastic chairs on the balconies 9 of them collapsed as people sat on them, a lot of people didn't have a kettle in their apts and the owner kept saying I'll get you one on Monday..Which Monday...perhaps they were supposed to go and buy their own in his supermarket for 25 euros!
The pool had a very deep end - 3.2metres, bit scary for parents with youngsters. The supermarket on site again run by the family was sooo expensive, the word got round and everyone made the short journey further down the road to the friendly cheaper one. We wanted to go out one night and asked if they could book us a taxi the answer was no! use the public phone not very good when you don't have a list of taxi numbers available. The other holday-makers made our holiday as they were all so friendly, but I doubt if the Rulla will have any repeat bookings!"

• Travel date: Tue 4th of August 2009

awful!

"Take heed of any reviews you read about this place it really is as bad as it sounds. We've been to Greece before, done basic and paid a lot less money and always been happy - but the Roulla!!
It was filthy to start with - after just walking around the apartment when we got there our feet were black, cobwebs around the furniture, chewing gum under the bed! Yuk!
There was no living area to speak of even though it was a two bedroom apartment and had horrible dark green stained furniture.
Also BEWARE of the pool it is 3.2 metres deep and has hardly any shallow end and the baby pool is dirty and dangerous. There were too many sunbeds around the pool with hardly any space to walk around. Its also noisy.
Definately not a safe place for young Children.
After two days there Olympic couldn't (or wouldn't ) find another place for us so we moved ourselves to a gorgeous place up the road - Marialena Village and thankfully got to enjoy the rest of our weeks holiday.
If this is the sort of accommodation olympic are offering then I've no intention of travelling with them again. I will be writing a complaint but if people have done in the past, olympic obviously haven't done anything about it!"

• Travel date: Sat 18th of July 2009

After returning from a two week break, I...

"After returning from a two week break, I thought I would give others the benefit of my experience at the Roulla Apartments, Aghia Paraskevi Skiathos. In 15 years of travelling to Greece, various islands, I have never stayed anywhere so dirty and unkempt. The room itself was a good size, but it was so dirty and not at all looked after. My 1 year old daughter crawled around the floor and within ten minutes, she was black! I complained to our rep, who spoke to the guy behind the bar, and they sent up the 'cleaners'. Well, if they're cleaners I'll eat my hat. I realised then I might as well do it myself and bought a mop bucket and disinfectant. In two weeks the room was never swept, and the 'cleaner' used the same bucket of mop water for each room (I'm sure), the bathroom was never cleaned, their idea of cleaning it was to spray the shower head on the floor...!! No bleach or cleaner used. We had ants in the kitchen, and the dirt under the beds and under the kitchen cupboards was unbelievable. Do yourself a favour, dont stay here! The island itself is beautiful, but our holiday was marred because of the accomodation. Terrible."

• Travel date: Sat 13th of September 2008

we went to the roula apartments in may 2...

"we went to the roula apartments in may 2007 and have been trying to book again but cannot find it anywhere. can you tell me if they are still doing holidays and if so can you tell me how to get in touch with them.. i would be very greatful if you could help me because we enjoyed our two weeks in their apartments
helen davidson"

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of February 2008

Hotels near Roulla Apartments

Stayed at Roulla Apartments? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Roulla Apartments

• houseblue by houseblue

"The view - really friendly lovely location "

• siameesie by siameesie

"Jimmys for the fish dish for two & green park (5mins walk down the side of jimmys) an oasis of calm "

• butterscotch by butterscotch

"Hire a speed boat & travel all round the Island yourselves "

Roulla Apartments is also called