Yialis Apartments

Achladies Skiathos, 370 02 Greece

Skiathos

"I have just returned from a weeks holiday in Skiathos. We stayed in the Yalis apartments in Achladies (10 minues outside of Skiathos Town) which were great. Yalis apartments are typically Greek basic accommodation, although a little dated in their decor they were kept immaculately clean by a really friendly cleaner who put flowers in your room for you (from their gardens) and are surrounded by well kept gardens and a pool and bar. Nikos the owner is very friendly and greets you when you arrive. The pool is a lovely size and is a great haven when you want to realx near 'home'. The main road can be heard from the front of the accommodation but from the week I was there I never found it a problem - I slept well every night and certainly didn’t find it a bother.

Achladies is a small resort - there is no 'centre' to Achladies - it really all focuses around the beach. The beach is wonderful - soft sand all the way, crystal clear waters and very safe. There are four/five tavernas in Achladies, two supermarkets and a bakers - more than enough to keep you fed and watered for your stay in Skiathos!

There is a great bus service in operation in Skiahtos - operating from Skiathos town to Koukanaries. It runs along the southern coast road and stops all the way - at every beach and resort. Its a great way to see the Island and try some of the 66 beaches on offer!! And it runs every 20 minutes - always on time too.

Skiathos Town is beautiful. A maze of cobbled streets offering a wonderful selection of restaurants serving very good food. Skiathos Town hasn’t been spoilt by 'tourism' and still feels very Greek in its ways. The standard of food on offer in the restaurants is very high - I never ate a bad meal in my week there and from a Greek myself that’s saying something. Restaurant Mouria is great for fresh fish and set in a very pretty courtyard. For authentic Greek cooking its best to head away from the main harbour and Pappadmenti street (the main street in Skiathos Town) and wander down one of the many cobbled streets - there are some real hidden gems to be found.

I visited in the first week in June and the town was nicely buzzing with a mix of families and couples on holiday. In high season (July and August) Skiathos really heaves with tourists - the island has 5000 year long residents and sees some 75,000 tourists visit in the summer - that gives you some idea of how busy it gets!

For a taste of the real Greece before tourism killed any character that it used to have Skiathos is your place to go. I really hope that it doesn’t get 'spoiled' over the coming years but instead retains its wonderful Greek personality whilst being able to welcome tourists who are interested and respectful of that."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of June 2006

We loved the yialis

"Although the accomodation is very basic, we had a wonderful stay at the yialis apartments, the family that run the hotel are very friendly and are very welcoming. Very good pool side bar that opens until you have finished drinking. Will definatly return to see the family. There young boy is very friendly and gets along with anyone, regarless of the fact that they cant speak each others language. Location is exceellent, very near the beach, five minute walk. Also the rose garden is just a two minute walk from the rose garden which is a wonderful restauraunt. I WANT TO GO BACK NOW!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 19th of July 2005

Loved the Yialis

Good

"We were lucky enough to be with Nikos and Family when Greece won the European Championships.
What a fantastic holiday!!
I stayed in the Studio apartments which were basic but clean and newly decorated.
The hotel bar was relaxed and friendly and the pool area was clean and well kept.
The hotel manager Nikos and his family made our holiday very special and would go out of their way to help you.
The location of the hotel is superb with a 2 min walk to the beach and a supermarket next door.
I would have no hesitation in recomending the Yialis Studio apartments and I look forward to visiting again."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of July 2004

Yialis was fab!

Good

"Spent 2 weeks in yialis apts last august.
First impressions were oh no! but once we got used to the very basic conditions it was great. Nikos who runs the bar with houla his wife and very comical little boy aguilar were really nice people.
The pool and bar area were great, so friendly, we made loads of friends and are going back this year to the apollo apts (wanted to go back to yialis but for some reason was v expensive this year.
We'll definetely pay nikos and family a visit.
Achladies beach was wow!! Just 2 mins walk from yialis. some really good tavernas nearby and a great water taxi service to skiathos town.
we never siad we would go anywhere twice but we are doing!! skiathos is BRILL!!"

• Travel date: Thu 13th of May 2004

Fab holiday again!!!

"Yet again Nikos,Koula and family are absolutely amazing people with nothing ever too much trouble! Yes the rooms are basic which is how it is described in the brochures etc.
From arrival to departure they were all warm,welcoming and friendly, and the food was superb as was the entertainment (not sure about the hangovers though)!
As soon as we returned home we were looking and hopefully booking for September!!"

• Travel date: Wed 25th of May 2011

Great holiday on this beautiful island.

"My husband and I has a wonderful holiday on the beautiful island of Skiathos.We had never stayed in a 2 star accommdation but were not disappointed.It was basic but everything was kept clean in the rooms and around the lovely pool area.Nikos and his wife Koola were fabulous hosts and were always there to ensure you had a good time.We met a few couples who were repeat visitors to the Yalis apts and like us will be returning next year!Lovely beach with a water taxi to Skiathos town for a lively nightlife and fantastic views over the harbour too.We couldn't want for anything else."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of September 2010

What a waste of money the hotel

"i have just got back from two weeks at this place and if i could have got back on the plane i would of.when we arrived they put my 2 daughters down stairs in the hut's and me my wife and another daughter top floor so we couldnt of been further away from each other.

my wife went to have a look at the pool and there was a green slime line going all the way around the kids pool was about 5ft square and the main pool was not cleaned often we even had to get the fishing net and do it our selfs so we didnt swim with all the bugs

the rooms were very basic there was no where to perpare any food,there was not enough plug points in the room,people go on about the power cuts my god they done my head in every time you turned the air con on or use as hairdryer of it went and you had to wait 5 mins for it to turn on this could happen 5 or 6 times in an hour

the water seems to go cold by 7pm.

now the family run hotel...! nikos has to be watched or he will stitch you up the barbecue night we had 4 meals and when it came to paying the next day he tried to charge me 16 euros each but i found out the kids were only half price so be careful

a day trip out on the posidon boat was great and look around town for the offers,it worth the bus ride to bus stop 3 for the discount store as the local store are to pricey and dont seem to have much choice

would i go back NO well not to this island but what i have learned from this trip is dont go self catering or you will spend a lot of money"

• Travel date: Thu 9th of September 2010

Worst accommodation I have ever stayed in

"We are in the process of pursuing a formal complaint with Olympic Holidays as the rooms we were put into at the Yalis Studios were the worst we have ever stayed in: We paid for two studios and were given rooms 18 and 19 which faced a wall, one metre away, with wires and pipes across them. There is one small window and therefore hardly any natural daylight. We paid for air conditioning but the electricity in studio 18 went off every ten minutes and therefore the air con didn't work. These rooms are 15 metres away from a busy road. So if we closed the door to drown out the noise of the road, we had no fresh air, no air con, and after 8pm we were in darkness every ten minutes. The fridge couldn't be used as a result of this. The studios are described as having an 'in land view' and being self catering but if we'd stayed in to eat we would have to sit on a tiny terrace 1 metre wide facing a brick wall. This accommodation was so depressing I was in tears on the first night, and for some of the nights after. As soon as we arrived we called Karen the resort manager and asked to be moved but she said she couldn't just move people 'on a whim'. She said that we had booked accommodation that was described as having 'in land views'. When we pointed out that this did not mean having the view of a wall 2 metres away she said she did not agree. The second night when I called her to say that there was a problem with the electricity in studio 18 she said that in the early evening the power cut off intermitently across the island. When we explained that the power in room 18 cut out every ten minutes throughout the day and night, she dismissed this and did nothing about it throughout the week. We spoke to another rep, Vilde, on the last day and she admitted that she knew there was a specific problem with the electricity in Studio 18. The rest of the Yalis accommodation looked okay and it is therefore grossly unfair to put some holiday makers in rooms 18 and 19 when others get an okay view of the gardens and pool. We feel very aggreived that after spending nearly 2000 pounds on our package with Olympic for two adults and two children we got such appalling accommodation and such appalling service. "

• Travel date: Sat 21st of August 2010

Yalis Studios - The Best

"Just got back from Skiathos, spent a week sunning myself in Greece.
We had a great time. The apartments were great. The apartments are 2 star, so you are getting basic accomodation. The rooms were clean and bright. We had a room that slept 3 so my daughter got her own room. There is a sink and a small hob, cutlery, plates and a couple of pans. Its all you needed. There is a fridge as well.
The pool was lovely, well looked after and most importantly clean. They cleaned it every night, it was beautifully lit and the outside very well looked after, tidy and all flowers watered and looking good.
The best thing about Yalis studios is Nikos and his family. They manage the place and do a fantastic job. I called him Aristotle as he had many a wise saying. He looked after us as if we were his own. Hula, Niko's wife and Angelos, his son are great. All very friendly and extremely hospitable. We were greeted every day with a warm smile. I miss the place and them amd wish i was still there.
I recommend it highly."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of June 2010

rip off Skiathos

"Just back from Skiathos, I was horrified at the hike in prices, I would say they are treble what they were two years ago.

Half a litre carton of ice cream 6.70 euros, one litre of milk 1.40 euros. yogurt increased in price twice in the two weeks that I was there.

Greece is more expensive than England. I think they are trying to make a killing out of the tourists, but they will come unstuck because people are only buying the necessities."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of May 2010

Best visit to Skiathos yet

"We have just come home from a 2 week stay in Yalis studios and apartments in Achladies in Skiathos. We had a wonderful time, it was relaxing and fun and I feel completely refreshed. I stayed with my daughter in a twin bedded apartment with a pool view. We had a balcony on the ground floor that led out onto the softest greenest grass I have ever seen in Greece. Although close to the main road there was hardly any noise from passing vehicles and the grounds were overflowing with fresh herbs and vegetables and fruit growing all around. Nikos the crazy but lovable Greek who runs the place with his family made our stay wonderful, his hospitality was never ending and nothing was too much trouble. The room was cleaned everyday with bins emptied and floor swept and mopped. Bedding and towels were changed every couple of days, I have not had such good service before except in bigger hotels. The kitchen area had everything you needed to create a lovely meal, or just boil up some water for a cuppa. The pool was a nice size, plenty of room for everyone. Nikos will serve you drinks late into the evening and although the place buzzes with life until the early hours, the noise is kept to a minimum after midnight enabling a good night’s sleep. Some of the newer rooms have air conditioning and Nikos was kind enough to lend us a fan which kept us cool. The big hammock was brilliant!! We met some wonderful people and met so many holiday makers who were returning to the Yalis for the 3rd or 4th time. The BBQ night is a must, we had a massive fish and there were big juicy steaks on offer also. We were so sad to leave but cannot wait to return next year. Achladies has everything you need, with the sea taxi to take you into town in the evening avoiding the busy buses into town. The beach is a blue flag beach, clean and great for swimming at any time of the day. You can rent a couple of sunbeds and parasol for €8 or just sit at the end of the beach where the rocks act as natural shade. The local supermarkets are very competitive on prices all with fresh bread daily and tons of good quality fruit and veg. My only complaint about the holiday was having to return home at the end of it. "

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of August 2009

The Yalis studios provide an ideal solut...

"The Yalis studios provide an ideal solution for a last minute, cheap holiday, however there are a few things you may like to consider before booking… The rooms are beyond basic. They are self-catering, however trying to cook without even basic equipment like a sharp knife, cheese grater and chopping board isn’t ideal. There is no air-con, which if you are planning to visit in summer (I went in Aug ’08) becomes unbearable – there is not even a ceiling fan to ease the temperature and don’t try opening the doors unless you want to be eaten by mosquitoes…

The room was clean-ish, and the maid will come in once a day to mop the floors. None of the showers are fixed to the wall so it’s an ‘interesting’ experience trying to wash your hair! In addition, unless you live in a big city you may struggle to get used to the traffic noise – the rooms at the front of the property are right by the (very busy) road and even being a Londoner, I found the noise getting a bit much at times. If your room is at the back of the property then you may struggle with the noise from the bar, as people seemed to stay up until the early hours of the morning, music still blaring… T

he pool/bar area is nice, although there is a dog which steals your flip flops and poos everywhere (not cleaned up by the owners) which is rather rank, so if you don’t like dogs, don’t go to this resort! The pool also got gradually more and more dirty over the week I was there, and by the end of the week it was murky green, scummy and resembled a dirty pond more than a pool. The owner Nikos kept demanding that it was safe, but obviously needs a good clean.

The studios are in a great location though – the beach is 2 minutes down the road with a few decent bars and taverna’s and the water taxi will take you over to the town or you can jump on the bus outside the studios to get around the island.

All in all, this was a so-so holiday – not blissfully quiet and peaceful, but a fair place to go for a last minute tan. "

• Travel date: Mon 1st of September 2008

Hotels near Yialis Apartments

Stayed at Yialis Apartments? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Yialis Apartments

• sallybear by sallybear

"Perfect location to get into town or just stay where you are and relax "

• Craigos, Grolos and Martinos by Craigos, Grolos and Martinos

"relaxed, happy, clean and friendly "

• Teddington mum by Teddington mum

"The accommodation can be awful. "

• dustbin2010 by dustbin2010

"not for familys as there is nothing for the kids to do in the evening "

• Booty by Booty

"Good place to go for a chilled out holiday. "

Yialis Apartments is also called