Phaedra is GREAT

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"Phaedra is absolutely fantastic. The rooms are spacious and clean, and the service is better than great. Hilda treats guests like friends. I loved sitting on the terrace drinking tea.

I came to the island for a meeting, and others at the same meeting paid a great deal more for rooms not nearly as nice. In years of traveling for meetings, I would rate my time at Phaedra amongst the BEST I have had anywhere. Next time we meet in Hydra, I will book at Phaedra well in advance."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of August 2007

Loved Phaedra Hotel

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"I stayed at Phaedra Hotel for 1 week in May 2007, and had the opportunity to stay in 3 different rooms, so I feel like a bit of an expert. All were excellent, but my favorites were Phaedra (upstairs with windows on 3 sides so it feels like a tree house); and Olympia (a 2-story room with bedroom loft upstairs, living room downstairs and its own private courtyard).

The bathrooms in all rooms were beautiful. All had showers with real shower doors! I’ve stayed in many Greek hotels, and they often have shower curtains that are too short or no shower curtain at all. All rooms also have kitchenettes.

While the hotel is top-notch, Hilda is really the best thing about the place. She’s always helpful, whether it’s arranging transportation; recommending places to eat (don’t miss Vigla) or things to do; or assisting with the occasional inconveniences that occur when you travel. I was sick when I arrived, and one of my friends discovered she’d lost her credit card in Athens. Hilda was extremely helpful in both cases. When she found out I was going to be there on my birthday, she even served champagne and strawberries and bought me a small gift! I’d definitely stay there again."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of July 2007

Fantastic hotel on a lovely island

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"After contacting the owner directly by phone we received a confirmation by email with pictures of the room which we appreciated very much. The room was very spacious, clean, beautifully decorated and modern - everything you would hope for in a hotel room but rarely get. Hilda, the owner, gave us great tips on where to eat and go for walks and service was fantastic in general. Breakfast was served on the terrace which has a lovely of the surrounding hills. The food was an above standard continental breakfast with strawberries and honey on greek yoghurt as a special treat.

We highly recommend Phaedra Hotel and Hydra for a very relaxing and romantic Greek island experience."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of July 2007

Great hotel, great island

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"After a couple of days spend for business in traffic-crazy Athens Hydra is the place to get relaxed again, no traffic at all!
I stayed at Phaedra Hotel. What makes this hotel different from the rest of Greek hotels? Fine and spacious rooms, perfect location and tasty breakfast, it's all there. But more important, in my opinion, the owner Hilda makes this hotel a special place to stay on this special Island. She is very kind, and helpful if needed.
For Greek hotels this is definently value for money. I have seen four hotels in five days and Phaedra Hotel is on my list for next time, for shure."

• Travel date: Wed 16th of May 2007

Wonderful Hotel on a Very Special Island

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"We're a family of five who stayed at the Phaedra Hotel three nights over Palm Sunday weekend 2007. The hotel and the island of Hydra both exceeded our expectations greatly. This is one of those rare cases in which the hotel's website photographs manage to understate the attractiveness of the accommodations. The combination Athena and Artemis suite at the Phaedra is perfect for a family of four or five (and we've found that five is a tough number to accommodate in many European hotels). There is plenty of space, lovely furniture, very comfortable beds, and a truly wonderful terrace. In one direction, the terrace puts you at eye level with the rustic tiled rooftop of an Orthodox church, beyond which is the town of Hydra. In the other direction are the mountains. Just beautiful. Our kids could not get enough of the breakfast, and as other reviewers have stated, Hilda is the Phaedra's excellent hostess. She clearly keeps everything in a near-perfect state and offers good advice to her guests. We were especially grateful for her suggestion that we take the strenuous but very rewarding hike up to the monastery at Hydra's highest point. The Phaedra is ideally situated, a very short walk from the harbor but far enough away to provide for some unique character and additional serenity. As for Hydra itself, why this island is not more "top of mind" for travelers is beyond us, though we hope it stays that way. The reason is probably that Hydra is not bursting with organized, off-the-shelf "things to do." Instead, it requires you either to do nothing (often a very nice option) or to shape your own adventure (and on foot, donkey, or water taxi, since there's not a single wheeled vehicle on the island besides the trash truck). Hydra Town is an architectural and aesthetic jewel, and the vehicle ban is a godsend. For us, Hydra was truly an ideal way to end a European adventure. The Phaedra is priced competitively with its real peers on Hydra, and is worth every cent."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of April 2007

A tad costly....but if you want that litlle extra...

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"We stayed four nights at Phaedra in the Athena & Artemis rooms. These are two connected double rooms (king + 2 single beds) with a spacious (~30 sqm) private roof terrace. The terrace is facing westward, with sun from around 10am until sunset.

We payed €250 per night for both rooms with (an excellent) breakfast for four. The going rate for standard two-bed rooms otherwhere in Hydra was €50-€60 during the same period. So it's not a bargain, but if you are willing to pay for the extra space, private terrace, clean & comfortable rooms and breakfast it's a good deal.

This was during Easter 2007, which was a high season since both greek and roman catolic easter for once fell on the same weekend. Thus lower prices might be negotiable off-season. Travelling with children, we did not want to travel without a prior reservation and spend time on a room quest. The high season also implied a four night minimum stay.

Some notes:
* The hotel is a short walk from the harbour, just before the terrain starts to incline. Thus you have a great city view from the terrace, but no view of the harbour or sea.

* The web page claims coocking utensils, but thes were missing from the kitchenettes in both rooms. Only basics like plates, glasses and cups were present.

* If you are a group of 3-5 people, Athena & Artemis it definetively a perfect choice. The other rooms are all to the same high standard, but probably not that special compared to other similar priced alternatives at Hydra.

* Both rooms have quiet and well functioning air-conditioning/heaters"

• Travel date: Sat 7th of April 2007

The perfect way to start a new year

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"What a fantastic place to stay. We had the most relaxing time over the New Year period. The rooms are very comfortable and perfectly suitable for a winter break. Hilda is a wonderful hostess and we came back feeling that we had been very well looked after and that we had discovered a real treat on one of our favourite Greek islands.
Alan and Gill Clisham, Epsom"

• Travel date: Sat 27th of January 2007

A fantastic host........

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"We stayed at Phaedra for more than a week and loved every day of it.
The hotel was fantastic. It was clean and very comfortable. We had a beautiful double room with balcony that had sweeping views across the town of Hydra.
All this considered the most important element of our visit was Hilda, our host;- she was able to advise us where to eat (go to Christina's she said ..... needless to say we were there nearly every night) and what to do, and nothing was too much trouble.
Hilda keeps the hotel open in winter, one of the few; her rates are reasonable and on a par with all the better hotels in Hydra... but as far as I am concerned they dont have Hilda... it is no competition. Stay at Phaedra the rooms are important but her local knowledge and hospitality make the place a must !!!!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 17th of December 2006

Genuine Greek Hospitality

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"I have recently come back from a short visit in Hydra. I stayed in Phaedra Hotel which I would wholeheartidly recommend to anyone visiting the island.

The hotel is situated near the port. Discreet sign posts led us from the harbour to the hotel in minutes. There we met Hilda, the hotel owner who gave us a warm welcome. We felt immediately at home. Our Room ( Aphrodite) was big, clean, full of light and refined decorations which reflect the architecture and history of the island. It had a small kitchenette with a fridge and a cooker, even a kettle and crockery and utensils. Next to it there was a good size bathroom.

A basket full of fuit was offered to us the first day and it was replenished every day of our stay. We had a wonderful homemade breakfast with generous portions of yoghurt with jam or rice pudding made by Hilda.
The hotel was situated in a quiet street behind the harbour so all the rooms were sheltered from noise, day and night. We could use the veranda on the top floor any time of the day and it was brilliant for taking photos. With all our senses satsfied and our "batteries" recharged, I will put "Phaedra Hotel" as my first choice when I visit Hydra again.

Alexandra Kapsali"

• Travel date: Sat 21st of October 2006

Good choice hotel

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"We recently stayed at the Phaedra Hotel for a few days and enjoyed our stay. We booked directly with the owner, Hilda via email and all arrangements worked extremely well. We had had to cancel and re-arrange our holiday but Hilda was very helpful and efficient. We stayed in a double room called 'Phaedra' + small kitchen area (not really suitable for cooking, but good for snacks and hot drinks) + bathroom and own terrace. All was clean, well-decorated and nicely furnished. There was a shared terrace for breakfast outside when warm enough with lovely views. The hotel is small and friendly and in a good position though light sleepers should take earplugs as the sound of donkeys clopping and carts being rolled over the stone paths makes a surprising amount of noise - this would be the same in any hotel on Hydra."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of October 2006

A fabulous hotel

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"We spent 3 nights at the Phaedra in August with our two children aged 10 and 13 and could not have been happier. The rooms are charming and clean and the position of the hotel near but beyond the busy port is excellent. Hilda who owns the hotel provides a great breakfast on the terrace each morning and is a fantastic source of local knowledge and restaurant recommendations . Highly recommended if you are looking for somewhere authentic and good value on Hydra."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of October 2006

Outstanding ......

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"For two weeks in early September we enjoyed the wonderful hospitality of Hilda and her family. The rooms are light, spacious, meticulously clean, and tastefully furnished in a manner that is as classical as the names they have been given. We stayed in Antigone and will certainly do so again, or indeed any of the other rooms. Breakfasts are excellent and you will enjoy some superb home made cakes even if you arrive at 11 am as we frequently did!

The Phaedra is in a quiet neighbourhood yet within a few minutes of the harbour. We enjoyed the beaches recommended to us by Hilda, the excellent restaurants & tavernas, and she also phoned ahead to the Convent of Agia Matrona to be sure we would be welcomed and admitted to view the Church after the longish uphill climb. We also recommend the more energetic walk to the Monastery of Profitis Elias - the views are breathtaking but bear in mind it is shut between 1pm and 4pm.

We have no hesitation in recommending this small hotel where you can expect to be treated as friend and not just a guest, something rare even in the world of 5 star luxury hotels."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of October 2006