Proteas Blu Resort

Pountes Samos I North Aegean, Pythagorion 831 03 Greece

Loved Samos

Good

"We have just come back from a 7 day holiday at the Proteus Bay Hotel in Pythagorion, Samos. Overall we had a very relaxing holiday on an attractive island, which is possibly more Greek than many of the larger islands.

The hotel is built on a hillside in a secluded bay about 3Km from the Pythogorion Town and about 15 minutes drive from the Airport. Although there is some aircraft noise; the number of flights is few with none early morning or at night.

The walk to the town takes about 30 minutes down the main road. It would possibly take twice this walking back as it's all uphill - taxis are good value, it costs around 4 euros from the harbour.

The hotel overlooks the coast of Turkey which seems so close you could touch it. The view is really spectacular, particular as the sun rises over the mountains in Turkey.

The hotel has 92 rooms of which 20 are in the main building. These overlook very attractive gardens and have a sea view. The other rooms are in self contained bungalows which lead down the hill to the pool and beach. In our opinion this hotel isn’t a hotel for anyone who finds it difficult to walk due to the number of steps and the incline.

Buildings are in a good state of repair, clean and tidy - décor is contemporary and attractive.

The hotel is rated 5 Star, but it’s probably a mid range 4 Star. It’s difficult to explain exactly why, but it’s possibly more to do with the lack of “polish” that anything else. The restaurant is attractive. The food is good quality, if slightly predicable and limited at breakfast. The staffs are warm, friendly and helpful, even if the service standards could be improved.

Housekeeping staff were very efficient - some very thoughtful touches that were very much appreciated."

• Travel date: Mon 6th of October 2008

Definitely not a 5* !!

"Beautifully situated, quite, giving nice scenery during breakfast and dinner, however breakfast was average and dinner was boring. During 8 days we only had 2x fish on the menu, which should have been a daily choice for a 5 star hotel. Beverages are expensive!! We had a room in a bungalow, again nice view, however the airco didn't work properly, and when our upstair neighbours were taking a shower, we had to wait because we simply didn't have anymore water. 5€ for 2 sunbeds with umbrella at the small beach should have been included in the rate of the hotel !! Average age amongst hotel guests was about 60, so not for children !!"

• Travel date: Wed 17th of September 2008

Spectacular Samos

"We have just returned from a week at the Proteas Bay Hotel in Samos. This was our second visit to this hotel; the first being in 2001, booked through Thomson. We would have returned to this hotel before now but Thomson stopped using it. On emailing the hotel last year, I discovered their representative in the UK was now Cachet Travel so we booked through them.

I emailed the hotel a few weeks prior to the holiday to request a room in the bungalows as this is where we stayed last time and I would have been disappointed if we’d been allocated a room in the main building. Luckily they were able to oblige and we had a room about midway between the beach and the restaurant.

The Proteas Bay Hotel is beautifully kept and spotlessly clean and has amazing views across to Turkey. The restaurant is at the top of the main building and sitting outside eating your meals with that view takes some beating!

This year we spent the majority of our time on the beach as the weather was so hot – 35-40ºC … but the previous time we did the island coach tour and the boat trip to Patmos, both of which I’d recommend if you visit Samos. They can be booked through agents in Pythagorio but these trips only run on certain days so book at the beginning of your holiday if you want to go. [Our holiday was Thursday-Thursday and I enquired about the trips on Monday and was told the Patmos trip was run on Monday and Friday and the island trip on Saturday – so that was another reason we didn’t go on any trips!!].

The hotel runs a courtesy bus into Pythagorio. Pythagorio is one of my favourite Greek harbours with boats ranging from pretty fishing boats to stunning cruisers and yachts and it is very relaxing to sit in one of the comfortable tavernas and watch the world go by. The courtesy bus only runs at certain times: into Pythagorio 9.30 am, 12.20 pm, 7.00 pm, 8.00 pm and 8.50 pm and returns from Pythagorio 9.40 am, 12.30 pm, 7.10 pm, 8.10 pm and 9.00 pm. We spent a couple of mornings in Pythagorio, going in on the 9.30 am bus and returning 12.30 pm, and in the evenings we sometimes got the bus in at 8.00 pm after the evening meal and returned at 9.00 pm. I don’t think the timings of the bus are ideal as we’d have liked less time in Pythagorio in the mornings and more time in the evenings – however, you could easily get a taxi back. The breakfast times are 7.30-10.00 am and dinner is from 7.00-9.00 pm.

The beach at the Proteas Bay is mainly shingle so I highly recommend wearing beach shoes. If you don’t have any beach shoes there seemed to be plenty of shops in Pythagorio stocking them; also, the snorkelling is great and if you don’t have a snorkel and fins they can easily be bought in Pythagorio too.

The sunbeds around the pool are free but there is a charge of €5 for two sunbeds and a parasol on the beach. There is no need to take beach towels as these are provided by the hotel.

My only criticism of this hotel is the ‘quality’ of the fruit juice in the restaurant for breakfast. There were three juices on offer but they obviously use some sort of concentrate as it’s very strong – like undiluted squash. My partner and I always like to start our breakfast with orange juice but we both found these undrinkable and gave up on them; my partner having milk instead and I had water – that’s the first time in 10 years of staying in hotels we have been unable to drink the juice at breakfast. For a 5* hotel I really think they should provide a decent quality of juice.

The food in general was very good. The dinner is ‘buffet’ starter and dessert but the main course is a choice of two dishes with waiter service. I would have liked more baklava-type desserts as we only had these on two nights. On the Thursday night the evening meal was a buffet by the pool with Greek music and dancing – this was very entertaining and guests were encouraged to join in the dancing. We often had lunch on the beach. The only food option there was ‘Toast’ – this wasn’t as bad as it sounded as in fact it was a ham and cheese toastie with the option of tomato as well – very yummy!!

To sum up, the Proteas Bay Hotel is an excellent hotel and if we visit Samos again we will definitely return to this hotel … yet again! (Hopefully the fruit juice will have improved by then!)"

• Travel date: Tue 12th of August 2008

Great view

Good

"We have been in Samos a couple of times, and I can safely say this is one of the better places, and maybe the best view of all hotels in Samos.

Not international 5 star level, agreed, but as close as it gets in Samos.

Ask for upstairs room in main building.

Staff was extremely friendly and service minded, and they have a very professional, mature bartender, who makes an excellent MaiTai.

If we return to Samos again, this is where we will stay."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of July 2008

Great Beach Hotel

"In general, this was a great comfortable, relaxing beach hotel. There is nothing fancy or ultra deluxe about the accommodations, but the location, setting, staff, etc. make this the perfect place for a beach veg. It's a bit out of town, but the hotel provides shuttles into the nearest town and if you want to come back after the last shuttle (or at other than shuttle times) taxis are plentiful and cheap.

The rooms are a bit '70s in decor, but everything in them works and they are very comfortable. The food (breakfast and lunch as we always went into town for dinner) was fresh and good.

The hotel is perched pretty high on the hill above the beach which provides really pretty views. The beach was never particularly crowded and the beach chairs were very comfortable. It had been a long time since I was able to spend 7 hours a day doing nothing but lie on a chair and stare at the sea, but this hotel provided the perfect environment to do so. The hike up the hill after a day of pure sloth made one feel as though one had actually accomplished something.

The staff and management were really helpful in providing great restaurant recommendations and directions, arranging transportation, etc.

I'd happily return to this hotel."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of September 2007

Fantastic hotel but not 5 star!

"We stayed in this hotel for a week in August with our 12 year old son. After hiring a car and viewing all of the Island we feel that we were in one of the best! For August it was very quiet, just what we wanted. There was a good mix of nationalities at the hotel and very few English. The staff were very friendly and helpful and spoke good English on the whole. The rooms were clean and adequate although I would have expected a little more for a 5 star hotel. There is a fridge, no bidet and poor decoration to the bathroom (could do with an update). The views from the hotel are fantastic and its location is great. A 5 minute walk down to the beach (20 minute walk back up!). However, there is a hotel golf buggy that will take you to the beach! The food in the hotel was great and varied, breakfast was excellent. There was very litttle for our son to do although snorkling kept him happy each day. There is also a hotel in the next bay that provides free kayaks so this was a bonus. I would not recommend this hotel for people with mobility problems or small children but other than that please visit it if you want a relaxing Greek holiday away from it all. Pythagorion is about a 5 minute ride by car and is beautiful. You can go on boat trips over to Kussadasi in Turkey from here for about £20 (although we didnt actually enjoy the experience!). All in all a holiday to remember and a hotel to definately return to."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of September 2006

Not a 5 star but a great Greek hotel

"Read the recent reviews with interest, the comments are fair on an international standard but we found the hotel safely the best we had stayed in during our holidays in Greece. The food was not adventurous international fusion cuisine but a good version of local Greek fare, perfectly OK and certainly not inferior to the food we found elsewhere locally. My husband has a wheat allergy and every night a meal was specially created for him. the food is worth having for the stunning views across the strait to Turkey - again something that is difficult to get elsewhere. The greek night and italian night are excellent.

Everything was super clean - they even washed down the steps outside! Gardens and flowers surround the bungalows. No road between the hotel and its beach. Rooms OK beds quite firm. Our hairdryer was faulty it was repaired within three hours.

All this and the staff were the personification of cheeriness and helpfulness. They showed respect and care for my young son and my older parents. Fresh flowers were placed in our room every day. We asked for an extra towel for beach/pool use - no problem. 5 euros for the loungers by the beach (not the pool) is not bad for the whole day and is the charge elsewhere for much dirtier tatty items. we found that if you came down to the beach for a swim at 3pm after the heat of the day there was no charge (unlike the next beach).

We hired a car and toured the island but thought after exploring we were in the best place. Alot is made of the sandy beaches but as we have plenty of these at home the pebbly beaches were fine and often more picturesque than the over subscribed sandy variety.

I would expect this hotel to be rated 4 star in the uk, but I assume in greece the rating system is a little different. The only thing that let it down in our terms was that they had no interconnecting rooms for families.

I would love to go back..."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of June 2006

Not that great

"We stayed at this hotel for two weeks last summer. The hotel is supposed to be a five star hotel but is more like a 3 star hotel. There was no room service, something you would expect from a 5 star hotel. there was no mimibar in the room either (not really a problem, but usually standerd at 5 star hotels).

Building standards:

The lobby area is very nice and was always clean . We were first given a room in the main building but swapped right away for a room in one of the bungalows closer to the pool and beach. The bungalow rooms are bigger, brighter and offer better veiws of the sea. The Bungalow was of a simple and well maintained standard. The room was clean and the cleaning staff came in every day and they did a good job. The beds were comfotable and the linens were of good quality. The only complaint we had about the room itself was that the aircondition was noisy at times, we asked for them to fix it but the problem kept comming back, we didnt change rooms because we had a good location and the noise didnt bother us that much, I just turned the AC off when we went to sleep.

Pool:

The pool was a good size and the water was clean and refreshing. There were always plenty of sunbeds available but you have to bring your own towel. I usually expect there to be towels available at the pool at a "5 star" hotel. There is a pool bar and restaurant that serve ice cold beer and drinks the prices were fair and the service was ok. We ate lunch there several times and the food was pretty good nothing spectacular but reasonable value for the money. We discovered a better restaurant for lunch just a short walk away at the next beach. Go down to the beach and follow the path to the left and you will walk straight to it in about 5 mins. Remember to take cash as they dont accept credit cards.

Food

The hotel has half board, there was no extra cost for this if there had been I would have demanded my money back!!!. The breakfast was ok with all the usuall foods you would expect at breakfast and there was plenty of it. the servicce was ok too. The tables outside were really nice with a great veiw.

My biggest problem with the food was the dinner. there is a good salad buffet from which you made your own starter and the same for desert with limited options but I dont really eat deserts so I wont knock it. The main course was usually a choice of two dishes, the menu was put out in the lobby every day. The main problem was that some days the food was great and others it really --. There was no consistency in qaulity, I suspect it had something to do with which chef was on duty any given day. One day the menu said rissotto but it was microwaved rice with frozen carrots and peas!!!. Another night you had the choice of minced meat? or rabbit stew!! - WHat --. WE are not that fussy but the food that night was Crap, if served in a prison it would have started a riot. The greek night by the pool was really good though and a must during your stay. We went into town most evenings for dinner where there were some really nice restaurants with great food and prices, dont go if you cant stand cats though, they are every where begging for food, we thought they were charming.

The beach is nice and quiet, it is a pebble beach so bring shoes you can wear into the water. The ting that ticked me off with the beach is that you had to pay for the sunbeds and parasols something I expect to be free at a private beach at a "5 star" hotel.
There is a beach bar where a german clone og Gunther from friends serves cold drinks and administers first aid to all the jellyfish sting victims, which were many. Maybe it was the time of year or the wind direction that brougt the jellyfish in close to the beach, I dont know but the hotel made no effort to warn people, if you have children in the water keep your eyes peeled because the jelly fish are small and pack a nasy sting. I got hit pretty bad while snorkelling and the scaring took a few months to heal completely.

Overall the hotel i a good 3-4 star hotel, no way a 5 star hotel.

It is nice and clean and the service is ok . Just dont expect too much from the dinner and keep an open mind when interpreting the menus. We checkedd out the menu every day and usually opted for the shuttle bus into town.

The proteas bay is supposed to be the best hotel on the Island, which it probably is, but I expeccted more from a "5 star " hotel

Have a nice holiday and remember this is just my opinion and I am used to a high standard."

• Travel date: Sat 20th of May 2006

Great vacation

"I have stayed at this hotel two times, and I loved it. The breakfast buffet was delicious, the dinner was good too. The staff was very nice. The pool was beautiful and the beach was really nice. Short way to Pythagorion, free buses 4 or 5 times a day. Taxi is cheap if you want to go when the buses doesn't. Pythagorion is lovely, maybe not so much to do, but it's no problem"

• Travel date: Wed 12th of January 2005

Can't wait to return

"In June 2001, my husband and daughter (28) returned to my husbands homeland of Samos, we stayed at Proteas Bay Hotel in Pythagoria, and was overwhelmed by the location, food, rooms, everything, they have a small beach, (a must is rubber shoes for the rock) with lounge chairs and umbrellas (small fee). but worth it. the views of the ocean are everywhere, especially is the dining hall. they had a Greek night by the pool that was great fun with buffet to die for. we are planning our 2002 vacation are taking friend to stay with us. A must See and only 20 minutes by foot (for us) to walk to town. a few minutes by auto."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of June 2002

Hotels near Proteas Blu Resort

Stayed at Proteas Blu Resort? Share your insight.

Proteas Blu Resort is also called