Doryssa Seaside Resort

Pythagorion 83103 Greece

Good

Village is still beautiful and the better choice for a stay

"Doryssa Bay Village Resort wowed our guests. This was the third visit for 3 in my party, but the first time for 4 others. Those folks who had never visited just raved about how great the resort is. I understand that the property was in danger of failing once. Now it is obvious that quite a bit of personal were cut to survive.

I booked 4 rooms via internet mail. On arrival they only had 3 rooms reserved. Our guest’s rooms were together, but our room was only nearby. I had checked rates from a Greek travel packager and discovered that rates quoted direct from the hotel were essentially the same. None of the US booking services was reasonably priced.

The Village is still beautiful. The majority of the Village guests seemed to be Greek. The hotel guests seemed to be largely Europeans on package tours. The Village rooms have been redone in a modern style complete with flat screen TVs. Cooking facilities have been removed. The tub was nice, but very high. The towel bar was loose, probably from people holding it for balance getting in and out. One couple reported a leak from the wall of the bathroom. Every day they reported it and every day the hotel said it would be fixed. It never was. We suspect it was from the air conditioner.

The restaurant was the biggest disappointment. We booked half board which was breakfast and either lunch or dinner. On future trips, I will only opt for breakfast. On previous trips the waiters would serve soup and the main course. Now their only function is to sell water and drinks. They are very short staffed, which made paying at the end difficult.

We attended the special Greek night dinner. It was still buffet, but the food was higher quality than regular dinners. The folks in my group loved the evening.

It is very easy to walk into Pythagorio in the evening. Some nights an alcohol check is set up at the fire house, so it is better to walk than drink and drive. There were very good deals on car rentals in town. I suggest walking by the offers and renting for a few days. We drove to Kokkari for fish dinners on 2 nights. The Archeological Museum in Samos is worth a trip.

I will probably return again to Doryssa Bay. The location, beach, and ambiance are still quite special. We will take our meals away from the hotel and enjoy other parts of the island."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of March 2007

Opt for the Village rooms!

"I note from other reviews that visitors have stayed mainly in the Village rooms of the Doryssa Bay. We stayed in the Hotel and our experience was somewhat different. On arrival, we were allocated room 341. We had paid £84.00 extra for a sea view, and while this room did have a sea view it was preceded by 20 metres of concrete (complete with airducts) as room 341 is directly above a large extension. This also applies to room 343. The flies in this room were abhorent - it was impossible to sleep with the balcony doors open as swarms of flies invaded the room. We asked to be moved and were promised another room four days later as the hotel was full. This duly materialised and we moved to room 309 which had a superb view of the sea and the swimming pool and best of all - no flies! Our room was cleaned every day and all our bedding and towels were changed on a daily basis. We found all the staff we dealt with polite and helpful despite being terribly overworked. The hotel dining room never had more than seven staff who were responsible for setting / clearing tables, taking orders for / serving drinks and also accepting payment for same. There was no maitre'd so they were also responsible for sorting out any problems/ queries from guests. The hotel dining room is drab and lacks atmosphere - rather like school dinners. There is a good choice of food and it is plentiful although the replenishment of dishes is piecemeal. Hotel guests are allowed to eat their breakfast in the Village restaurant which is modern and bright and has a beautiful terrace overlooking the sea. However, if you are staying in the hotel you are not allowed to eat dinner there. As stated by other reviewers, the sunbeds / parasols on the beach are very reasonable - 5 Euros for 2 beds + sun umbrella. The same thing cannot be said for the poolside bar where you will pay (very) silly money for drinks and food. A small glass of Diet Coke was 3 euros while a pint of beer was 3 euros 60 cents. Buy your drinks in the supermarkets in Pythagoriou - a taxi back to the hotel is 3 euros - and keep them in the fridge in your room. It might be a tad inconvenient but it will save you a fortune particularly if you have children with you. Pythagoriou is lovely. We walked there every night from the hotel and it never took more than twenty minutes. Try the Apollinos restaurant on the harbourside for a treat - you may have to wait for a table but you can wait in the Piano Bar next door and enjoy a free drink! Afterwards, relax in Thomas's Bar - so pleasant and polite. We loved Samos and its people who are friendly and very proud of their island. We hired a car for four days and drove around the entire island which is beautiful and very interesting. Don't hire your car from the reps who quoted us 245 euros. We hired one in Pythagoriou, all insurance included, and even got an upgrade for 120 euros. We had a lovely holiday and would definitely return to Samos - we might even return to the Doryssa Bay - particularly if they get more visible management and upgrade the hotel to the same standard as the Village."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of October 2006

Pleasant Stay

"I stayed at this hotel in Late August 2006. I had read the reviews of this and feel I should set the record straight. We were lucky as we got a room upgrade to a Village room as there were 'problems' with the hotel rooms. The room we had was really modern with a kind of Concrete finish which initially was strange but we grew to love it. Not all the Village rooms were like ours as another couple had a Tiled Bathroom. Our Bathroom had a Tablet sink and a shower head the size of a dinner plate! We had an extremly comfortable and large double bed and a medium sized LCD TV with a good aray of channels. The balcony was very large but with no real privacy but it was great for people watching. The Air con struggled a bit with the afternoon heat but it was 42 degrees when we arrived and then got cold (35). But use of the shutters and side window would help to keep it cool. (our room got the sun all day which didn't help)

The (Village) Resturant was nice and the food that was served was on the whole very nice. Breakfast was hot but we only had Bacon and fresh pancakes once a week but we'd have Sasuage and Eggs every morning without fail. But we certainly didn't starve and you'd have to be very pickly not to like the food in this hotel. Dinner was certainly of 4* standard and was very romantic sat outside overlooking the Beach and Sea - Couldn't fault it really.

The Staff at the hotel were good but nothing special and the Maid service never failed to clean the room or leave clean towels outside if we were still dozing.

The Hotel was at the end of the runway but flights were never at night or that early in the morning. (the room was soundproofed and double glazed) The resort was quiet with the centre being 15/20 mins walk away past several Roman ruins.

To recap we had a really good time at this peacefull resort which had bags of character. If you want to visit Samos I don't think that there is a nicer hotel with a better position on the island."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of September 2006

Superb

"Just returned from a super week at the Doryssa Bay hotel in Pythagorio, Samos. We stayed in a bungalow in the village but had access to all of the hotel's facilities. Our room was very modern and was cleaned to a high standard. There was a good variety of breakfast and dinner everyday, although heated plates would have been a welcome extra. Hotel staff were friendly with excellent English, although there was some confusion as to whether to leave the key or take the key when leaving the hotel for the day! The bungalow was a brief stroll from the beach and the swimming pool, and we made the most of both, though particularly enjoyed the music played on the beach and the close-up view of the planes as they took off and landed at the nearby airport. ('Nearby' as in the beach was the end of the runway). Pythagorio town was also a short walk away with plenty of bars to choose from, very pretty at night. Thoroughly enjoyed the holiday, very relaxing, would definitely recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of September 2006

A very pleasant surprise

"We took a late deal on this one. We arrived not expecting much and with plenty of Greek experience were expecting to put up with 'Oh, well, at least we're on holiday'.

Nothing further from the truth. The resort is beautiful. Quiet and peaceful. Throughout the whole of our week there we did not witness any objectionable behaviour (apart from smokers who seem to think we all enjoy second-hand smoke).

The hotel (we stayed in a 'village' room) was excellent. Air conditioned and spotlessly clean and well maintained. The bathroom had a dual shower system and there was plenty of space.

The staff were unobtrusive and thoroughly good all round. We enjoyed a lovely, peaceful week at Doryssa Bay Hotel and would recommend it to anyone (apart from the 18-30 crowd!).

Our one and only gripe is that smoking is allowed in the dining room during meals, which spoils the experience for the majority."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of August 2006

The village is really nice

Good

"We spent two weeks at the Doryssa Bay Resort. It cosists of a massive and rather impersonal hotel building and a very original village with beautiful traditional Greek houses. Each house has several rooms with bathroom, recently renovated.
The resort is in general of high standard and it is an ideal place for a family with small kids. The rooms in the village are not very big, but they are comfortable, modern and clean. The food at the restaurant of the village (there is also a restaurant which belongs to the hotel) is of high quality (international cuisine with a variety of Greek dishes) and the staff is very friendly (they love kids). Breakfast is OK and dinner has never been boring (even after two weeks). The wine list could have been better (no local wines). The swimming pool is good (there is also a small one for kids), but it could have been cleaner . The beach is very close to the village and it is clean and not crowded. They charge 5€ for the ombrellas even for the hotel guests (which in my opinion should not happen). Towels are free for the hotel guests.
Not the best place for night life, however Pythagorion is very close to the resort (10 min on foot).
All in all, the village is a nice place to spend your holidays and Doryssa Bay is a good base to explore Samos. The official room rates are rather high, but booking through a travel agent (a pachage is even better) can make a big difference. The village is certainly above average, the hotel is less exhiting."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of August 2006

Very pleasant stay

Good

"Quite a big hotel with a beautiful long beach. Two main buildings plus a small "town" which is a part of the hotel with picturesque bungalows and a tiny square. We were given a room with a very limited view of the sea even though we had paid extra for the sea view. After two day, though, we got a fantasic room on the third floor with great view. It is a quiet hotel with a lot of German tourists whom we di not mind but I believe that for someone who is looking for night life this isn´t the best place. The hotel is situated close to a beautiful port town Pithagorio which is about 10-minute walk.
Everything is clean even though the hotel must be a bit old. There is a big pool and a small garden next to the main building where there is a bar with coctails and stuff. The restaurant is large, you can also sit outside. The staff are peasant.
All in all, very nice hotel indeed."

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of July 2006

Pick a different island!

"The Doryssa Bay has potential, but hasn't been taken care of. The hotel has nice property, but the buildings need painting, repair, and the grounds need cleaning up. I had a gardener's shack (or something?) outside of my room (I stayed in one of the village rooms) and it was surrounded by all kinds of equipment--very unsightly. I don't know why I was put in this room, as it wasn't very nice, nor was the surrounding landscape, and the hotel was far from full.

I was greeted promptly and with kindness. The staff at the front desk was always very nice, but the staff in the restaurant was beyond rude! The first day I had lunch, I met a very sweet waitress, but she was leaving for vacation. The rest of my stay was a bit of a nightmare, restaurant-wise. I didn't like that everything was a buffet (full of flies--yuck!) and the staff clearing tables literally throws the plates, glasses and silverware into bins, which is nerve-shattering. I complained about this noise and rudeness, at the front desk, and they said they'd do something about it. When the same thing happened again the next day, I talked to them again, and one of the employees literally argued with me about it--telling me it wasn't personal. I told her that I wasn't taking it personally, but it was annoying the guests--I noticed everyone was glaring at the employees. I had read the strict instructions on dressing properly for dinner, also, and did dress nicely, only to find the other guests dressed in jean shorts. Why do they bother mentioning the dress code if they don't enforce it?

My biggest complaint against the hotel is the dining room staff and the beach's cleanliness--there were cigarettes on the beach! Yuck. I expected much more from this resort--it's supposed to be the nicest on the island.

There isn't much to see or do on this island--I was very disappointed. It's not very typically "Greek" or very pretty. I want to warn other travelers to stick with Santorini if you'd like to visit a pretty island!"

• Travel date: Mon 16th of January 2006

A Great Greek Hotel Experience

Good

"Looking at the website for this hotel (Google for 'Doryssa Bay +Samos') it was clear that they were trying to project an image that is not quite how the UK package tour industry might see it. We travelled with Thomson (UK arm of TUI) and arrived expecting a simple but decent hotel and this is what we got. Ok, so the Johansens Guide in the bedroom had it listed in 1998 and it clearly isn't up there with that guide's other entries (the Dorchester for example) but it is far better than many others you can expect in Greece.

The room was spotless, had carpets (unusual for the Mediterranean), a HotelTV (BBC World and other euro channels), fridge, phone and adequate storage. We had a mountain view from our balcony and this was directly opposite the Eupalinos Tunnel (an Ancient Wonder of the World). The bathroom was also spotless every day and had had a bit of a makeover with new tiling, sanitaryware and lighting. A hairdryer and extensive 'freebie' soaps etc. were an added bonus. Plus the WC didn't seem to mind paper either .. another bonus in Greece.

The only downside was the twin beds. Whilst these are invariably pushed together to make a double, the trend for this in continental Europe is incredibly frustrating for those of us travelling as a couple.

The hotel clearly has seen better days - the room furniture in the main hotel building and foyers is dated and the decor (pebble dashed walls and teal-painted wood) needs a radical re-think. The restaurant would have looked modern 15 years ago (and possibly still does with a Greek-islander's eye) but is not as contemporary as the website suggests. That said, the Village Bar (aka Piano Bar) and Hotel Bar (aka Hippocampus Bar) are more than step in the right direction having undergone a more recent facelift it appears and the decor here was stylish.

The buffet-service food had some considerable variety and whilst it is inevitable that one eats the same thing at some point over 14 nights you did rather look forward to your favourite dishes. It is a curious mix of authentic Greek cooking and food that has been tailored to meet the hotel's core summer clientele of Scandinavians, Germans, Dutch and English. Highlights included the regular Greek salads, lamb dishes and 'veal' (aka beef). Service was typically Greek - it improved with familiarity - and we never had to wait more than two minutes for a table. Breakfasts were comprehensive, catering for bread and pastries, cereals, cold meets, cheeses and fruits. Much of the produce during breakfast and dinner was clearly sourced locally and the better for it.

Aside from that, the pool was free from strong chlorine, generally under-used and poolside was a peaceful place with plenty of space and modern, free, large wood sunbeds. The peace amusingly broken only by the 'animation team', two cheerful and professional Italian lads who involved the sedentary Scandinavians and Germans in Water Gymanstics and the rest of us in Beach Volleyball, 5-a-side and so on. The hotel has the best gym i've seen in a mediterranean hotel, a professional masseuse, sauna and a program of evening entertainment that is 'European' but genuinely enjoyable.

As for the 'customer service', a little Greek goes a long way. It is arrogant to think English speakers can travel the world and achieve 5-star service simply by expecting everyone to understand them fluently. Here we found that our smattering of Greek meant that drinks were served and paid for efficiently, beach towels laundered daily and assistance such as bus timetables was procured with a smile. A few niggles such as the internet service being unavailable and the lack of traveller's cheque exchange could be forgiven in this context.

Finally, the hotel's environment and location. It has been expanded since it's first opening, to include a 'village' modelled on traditional Greek architecture. This village (which doubles as extra accommodation unsurprisingly and a folklore museum) is full of quirky buildings and beautifully maintained flora and fauna. Within the site or just outside are genuine ancient remains (an early Christian Basillica for example) and the beach is clean and well 'policed' by the hotel staff to ensure the peace and decorum of the site. Flights to and from Samos airport take off and land overhead but there are about ten fllights a day maximum and you really aren't troubled by them - they stop before bedtime and start after breakfast.

This hotel would not get 5 stars in the US or more developed European countries. It is striving to compete in a league beyond it's true status but judged in the context of the Mediterranean and especially Greek, hotel, it is a cut above. You do have to be fishing for things to find criticisms that would have an impact on your holiday here. I would certainly return and as an Englishman in his twenties I can say I thoroughly enjoyed this hotel. Take a dip into the Greek language, understand the culture and personality of the island and your stay here really will be delightful. If you've not got time for that, then expect to have a trouble-free stay anyway, you just might have to wait a bit longer for your drinks at the bar!"

• Travel date: Wed 5th of October 2005

Absolutely Disappointing !

"We just returned from a 4 night stay in Doryssa Bay and we were extremely disappointed. We were told that this is one of the best hotels in Samos and it was highly recommended. Honestly, this hotel must have seen better days as it is probably the worst hotel we have stayed in Europe. We travel frequently and are willing to pay for comfort, good customer service and higher end accommodations, but this hotel rates as a 2 star or less. We arrived late in the evening and they did not have our reservation correct. Then, we were taken to our room, down a very old and dingy hallway with dirty carpeting and a musty smell. When we entered our room, it smelled like an ashtray! We immediately told the porter that we did not want a smoking room so we called down to the desk and they apologized but we were told that there were no other rooms available. We were told to check in the morning as guest would be checking out. Our carpeting in the room was old and dirty and there were ants in the room as well. The following morning we spoke to reception where we were treated very poorly and were told that there were no other rooms available. They did not understand how the room could smell like smoke. This angered me to no end as we had booked this hotel months in advance and we refused to spend 4 nights in a room that reeked of smoke. Once I became angry and raised my voice, they miraculously found another room. For the rest of our stay we were given very poor customer service, most likely due to the fact that we caused them a 'hassle'. The breakfast was horrible, with browned over fruit and watery eggs. We ended up eating elsewhere for the remaining days. And the kicker was that we asked for a wake up call on our last morning and it did not ring! When we told reception this during our check out, she insisted that it did ring and acted like we were crazy and lying. I cannot tell you how upsetting this was, considering that this hotel has been given very good reviews. We will never stay there again and would discourage others to do so."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of August 2005

Hotels near Doryssa Seaside Resort

Stayed at Doryssa Seaside Resort? Share your insight.

Doryssa Seaside Resort is also called