The Bay Hotel & Suites

St.Nicholas, Vasilikos Greece

Relaxation at it's best!

"An extraordinary and beautiful destination for you and your family to enjoy excellent service and all around top quality. Clean comfortable rooms, nice beds with a stylish look. Beautiful beach and pool at your feet. Strongly recommended,!"

• Travel date: Fri 1st of June 2018

Great location for quiet family vacation

"We have been already 9 times on various islands in Greece. Most of the big hotels offered loud animation for All-Inclusive guest. This hotel offers great service, quiet animation and no All-In, which definitely has an impact on the guest at the hotel. The owners take care, that there are no real majorities from any nation, it´s a mixed up European experience.

My recommodation:
If you look for a quiet vacation together with your kids.
If you look for a fancy stylish hotel.
If you look for a greek high quality kitchen
If you lokk for one of the best beaches in Zakynthos
GO THERE

If you look for Party
If you look for wide screen live soccer TV
If you look for 24 hours animation
If you look for international kitchen
If you look for "typical greek" white walls and blue doors
TAKE AN OTHER HOTEL"

• Travel date: Thu 4th of October 2007

Great place to stay

Good

"I start this review by mentioning that we were in two minds whether to cancel our holiday at this hotel after reading the reviews posted on this site, but to be totally honest we are glad that we didn't. We did however consult our tour operator over certain matters prior to going for peace of mind.

Rating:

Firstly there seems to be conflicting information regarding the 'star' rating of this hotel and one must bear in mind that with all due respect the Greek star ratings do fall below par of UK standards. However the issue is confused somewhat by different UK tour operators rating the hotel either 3 star or 4 star.
If I had to be pedantic about this I would say that the Bay Hotel and Suites falls somewhere between the two by UK standards.
For example we booked through Thomas Cook who rate the Hotel 3 stars and we paid what we considered to be a fair price for a 3 star hotel and we were far from disappointed.

Accommodation & Facilities:

The Hotel has, within the past few years, been refurbished in a contemporary style which gives a bright & airy modernistic feel. The theme appears to be wicker, bamboo & pebbles. If you're after mock Louis XVI crystal chandeliers & tacky fibreglass Ionic columns don't go here. We had a twin room with en-suite shower room and a balcony (not sea view but these are available if you wish).
The room had more than enough storage space and offered all mod cons such as a fridge, air conditioning & TV. Hair dryers are not available in the rooms but can be hired from reception for a small fee. The en-suite shower room was exceptionally tiny and did become slightly frustrating until the pair of us mastered a manoeuvring strategy. With saying this its not the kind of thing that ruins your holiday is it? I also believe that not all rooms are the same layout so this may vary.

The pool area is lovely offering stylish hardwood sunbeds with cushions & huge brollies. Unfortunately the usual 'phantom towels' appear on the sunbeds at the crack of dawn. This is extremely annoying but the only way to beat them is to join them if you wish to be pool- side or either inform reception of the 'culprits'. Alternatively sunbeds are available on the private sandy beach for 6 euros a day. There are also a small number of beds on a raised rocky area for the same amount. We preferred these as it was more secluded. You also have cute bunnies come and lay under your sunbeds for no extra cost! Personally I don't understand why the hotel doesn't make all the sunbeds free and add the cost onto the hotel price to save any squabbles.

The pool-side bar is fantastic & well stocked. A selection of hot & cold snacks, salads & icecreams etc. are also available here throughout the day. What we found suprising was that, for once, the cost of drinks at the hotel bar were no more expensive than anywhere else. Set away from the bar is a raised timber decked area with pergola over and the most comfortable wicker sofas. This is a totally chilled area to relax with a drink overlooking the sea both during the daytime and especially the evening. There is also a pool table should you wish to......play pool as well as many other activities scheduled throughout the day

Internet access is available in the reception lounge for a small fee of 5 euros per half-hour, which can be carried over from one day to the next. The hotel also has a gym, Jacuzzi, sauna as well as relaxation therapies on offer at a reasonable price.

Restaurant:

The breakfast & evening meals in the hotel are excellent. The head chef is English but has worked in many places around Europe. He explained to us that there is a two week planned menu, meaning that there is at least one new dish to try every evening for two weeks in addition to a variety of dishes that may be repeated. The restaurant itself is 2 thirds outside under cover & 1 third inside. The internal area could do with some fans as it does get very warm so most guests sit outside. Rather than joining the rat race to get a table outside, we found it easier just to dine a bit later once the outside restaurant had cleared. Fresh food is still being served then.

Location:

The resort of Vasilikos is extremely quite with a smattering of tavernas & grocery shops here & there. There is a great bar just at the end of the T junction leading up to the Hotel. The couple who run this (and the adjacent shop) are fantastic & so friendly. If you fancy a 15 min stroll of an evening also try Uncle Nikos bar. Argassi is the closest lively resort, which is a taxi or bus ride away. The taxi will cost you between 13 & 15 Euros each way. Argassi is slightly Southend’esque with shops offering all the usual rubbish but its a good place to sit in a roadside bar & people watch. The hotel’s private sandy beach is lovely with very shallow waters leading out to sea. It is also worth walking along the beach to the next bay which is St. Nicholas beach to try many of the watersports on offer.

Unfortunately despite all the good points about this hotel & resort it would not be fair to fail to mention to potential paying customers that there is an unfinished hotel adjacent to the Bay Hotel. This is a large development but no work was being carried out during our stay. As we were made aware of this prior to our visit, we obtained written confirmation from our tour operator that no works would be taking place. All hotels & tour operators have a duty to inform any visitors of any potential works to be carried out within the hotel’s grounds as well as adjacent buildings & even within the resort. The beach area in front of the development is unkempt but there is no reason to venture up to this part.

This development is not part of the Bay Hotel & Suites and I sympathise with the hotel that it is there. The hotel has, in my opinion, effectively sheltered the view of the development from the main pool area and to be honest it had no impact on our stay other than we occasionally caught site of it. Naturally this may not be the case if you were situated in a room looking over it.

Summary:

To sum up, this is a good resort & hotel to visit if you wish to relax."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of September 2007

In the middle of nowhere

"After reading a few negative reviews before we went we were a little worried about what to expect. We had a suite with a sea view. Suite was very spacious, very minimalistic as shown in First Choice brochure but when you look closely at the decor etc everything is finished to a poor standard. A slight smell of damp in suite as well. A kettle was provided but no coffee, teabags etc were given. Also it said in the brochure hairdryer provided but you have to get one from reception for a 10 euro deposit if they have any. We'd paid quite a bit extra for a sea view, and sure enough you could "just" see the sea over the roof tops and you could definately hear the lapping of the waves when you woke up but not quite a full sea view we were hoping for.
Staff at the hotel were friendly and all spoke english. Service was quite slow at the pool bar. We found being able to just quote your room number when ordering drinks, food etc to be really handy as you didn't have to carry purses around with you all week. The bill needed settling when you checked out. There was no beach bar as stated in the first choice brochure and also the ampitheatre was not in use. There was no indoor pool as far as we could find as stated in the brochure and the outdoor swimming pool although a nice space was very deep with only one small shallow area. Sunbeds were becoming more of an issue throughout our stay - you had to be down by the pool with your towels by 7.30am to stand a chance of reserving sunbeds.
Food in the hotel was all buffet style with a wide choice to suit everyone. Would rate the food as good. Need flat shoes as involves a lot of walking to get anywhere e.g. to the local village, beaches etc. Taxis reliable and fairly cheap with set prices although they are all seem to be formula 1 trained! Hang on to your seatbelts! Overall we had a lovely holiday in Zakynthos but this accommodation we felt wasn't up to the usual standard of 4 star/4 star plus we usually stay in."

• Travel date: Sat 18th of August 2007

Not a fan

"My girlfriend and I have just returned from a week staying at the Bay hotel in Zante. On arriving at the hotel we were told our room was not ready so we waited until a cleaner lady took us to a block of apartments away from the reception area. We entered the room and before we had even had a chance to say anything we were offered another room that was part of the complex where the reception and restuarant were etc....Our faces must have spoke a thousand words. The next room was clean however the toilet stank and continued to do so throughout the week. We also found a dead sparrow on the balcony and informed the reception area right away, the sparrow was still there the day we left. The other thing that I particularly found frustrating was that there was no air conditionaing in the whole of the hotel so it was hard to stay cool in the 40 degree heat of an evening, even the waiters were sweating and they are used to the heat!! The food was very average, just about enough choice to keep you intrested but we didn't look forward to going to dinner like we always usually do when on holiday. We also found the seating uncomfortable, the chairs are very low compared to the height of the table, I struggled and I'm 6'4"!
By day staying at the Bay hotel was pleasant enough, the pool area is great though the music could have been turned down a bit (especially when its the Venga bus song pumping out of it!), the bar staff were brilliant though, helpful and always at hand. The beach is less than a stones throw away and there is a cafe next to it which did brilliant food.
By night the Bay hotel was quiet, a young Greek lady did some kids entertainment and a quiz which was ok but if its proper entertainment your after then this hotel is not for you. You couldn't even walk to a town to look around as Vasillikos is right in the middle of nowhere (or so it seemed).
So on conclusion, if you are after a mega quiet holiday where you want to lay around doing nothing in the day time and do even less at night then the Bay hotel is the one for you. I think the main grievance myself and my girlfriend had was the price we paid for this holiday, well over a grand, we would have felt hard done by paying in the late hundreds let alone what we did pay (thats another story though I suppose!).
I hope you found this review helpful, I hope it didn't come across too moany but I really did feel I needed to air my opinions to stop people having a very avarage holiday like we have just had."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of July 2007

Fantastic Hotel and Location

Good

"Just spent a week at the Bay Hotel and Suites. Although the rooms are minimalistic in style, they are very spacious and comfortable. Linen and towels were changed on a daily basis, and although we had to make up the bed everyday, this was no hardship.

The staff were all very pleasant and extremely helpful, and were very knowledgeable about the area. Not too much entertainment in the evening, but there again, we didn't go there for the entertainment and spent many a happy hour in the bar!

The Food was excellent, something for everyone - even the kiddies were catered for.

The location was perfect, beautiful scenery and quite a few tavernas within walking distance.

We would definitely visit again."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of May 2007

Great hotel in fantastic setting (Formerly Golden Bay Village)

Good

"After some reservations from reading other reviews, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel was in a great setting right on the beach and it was very clean and comfortable. Our room was lovely and overlooked the ocean. It was set in quiet surroundings just as the brochure stated. We ventured out on the local bus into Zante Town and took a couple of First Choice excursions. One was the Jeep Safari visiting various places around the island, the highlight being Smugglers Cove which looked every bit as gorgeous as all the photos in the brochures(from a viewing point just above) and the other trip was to a traditional Greek Night in Keri where we saw a fantastic sunset en route. You could do a boat trip to Smugglers Cove when you could get onto the beach but the sea wouldve been too rough for me this late in the season as indeed it was for some of the people that went the week we were there!!

I particularly enjoyed the yoghurt and honey, cakes at breakfast and some of the traditional Greek cooking at dinner. The house wine was reasonably priced. The entertainment was very low key especially so, as it was late season. The in house entertainer Machie was lovely. She organised daily walks, exercise or aqua aerobics and light entertainment in the evenings.

There was a slight problem with the bath water draining away as it tended to come up out of the drain on the bathroom floor until we worked out you could just let the bath water out slowly without flooding! Our room was cleaned everyday to a high standard and the grounds were beautifully kept. There were an array of pretty and tame rabbits wandering around the gardens!!

The staff on the whole were very friendly and responded to our friendliness. There were several local beaches in walking distance and various pretty walks you could take in the vicinity.. I imagine September would be a good month to visit when it would be fairly quiet but all the local bars etc would still be open. We returned home mid October and many places were shutting down.

I took some lovely photos and I did try to post a few but unfortunately it seems I would have to condense them first as they used too much memory. All in all if its relaxation you are after then this is the place for you. Probably not one for the party animals though!"

• Travel date: Fri 20th of October 2006

Great Location,Hotel okay..

"My boyfriend and I have just returned from a one week holiday at The Bay Hotel & Suites. We stayed in one of the suites because all hotel rooms were booked. On arrival we were led to our suite which on entry we both considered to be very spacious however very bare with colours like grey, white and lilac which made the room seem very cold. Very much unlike the usual warm colorful surroundings in Greece. The suite was clean and from our big terrace we had a nice view over the lush green gardens and the blue ocean in the background. Def. a plus point. The bathroom was clean as well and had little complimentary soaps, shower cap, the usual. The big double bed gave us enough space to cuddle even though I threw out the additional grey pillows straight away as they had funny and actually quite disgusting looking staines on them. Not something you expect from a four star hotel. The normal pillows, sheets and covers were clean though. The towels were changed and the room cleaned daily. Overall the room was okay but did not have the 4 Star luxury we expected. Kettle and fridge as well as safe was provided free of charge. Those used to staying at posh 4 Star places would probably be quite disappointed but as we did not spend too much time in the room anyway we were not too bothered.
The fascilities are not great, the gym and indoor pool really deters you from any kind of work out with stained exercise mats and as it seems no air-conditioning is available.
There is only one bar outside by the pool where you can get some lunch from 1200 onwards as well as hot and warm drinks. It was a bit disappointing that this was the only hotel bar though.
The breakfast was alright, nothing special though. Bread, Toast, Cake, Croissants, Jam, Cheese, Meat, Fruit, Yoghurt, (tinned) fruit, Cereal and not very great mostly cold eggs, little sausages and beans. It is something to fill you but necessarily something to look forward to. However different story for tea-time. I dont think I ate the same thing twice in the week I was there, there was a variety and I was quite happy however my boyfriend considered the food a bit bland and he probably does have a point, as nothing was really well seasoned with much spices. Loved the desserts though!
Location was great, nice little beach, chargeable sunbeds are the downside (6euro per sunbed per day), pool not massive which is okay as we did not swim in it once.
Staff was great though, greek people in general very friendly. The staff at evening meals was very attentive and always smiling.
The are two stores near by to buy water and little bits and bobs.
All in all we had a great holiday as we went out to explore lots with our rental car (def. rent a car and get around the island as Hotel is at isolated location!!) and enjoyed the sun and the island. Hotel is def.not a 4 Star in our eyes, for greek standards it may be a 4 star but to us more of a three star,saved mostly by its location. To sum it all up: Location great, staff very friendly, hotel clean with flaws here and there would go again if it was cheaper but not for same price we paid now."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of October 2006

Never again!

"I've just come back from this hotel and what a dive! The owners ran out of money, that's the reason there's a big unfinished building site next door and the finish on the rooms (especially bathrooms) are terrible.

The rooms are definetly minimalist, but as for chic - you must be joking! We moved rooms because our room smelt of damp especially the mattress. Our new room didn't smell of damp but it just looked like what I imagine a prison cell to look like... painted grey and nothing on the walls... oh apart from some boards which were painted and then screwed to the wall. Dirst in the corners, paint flaking off walls and furniture. Some nights we had to suffice with a single sheet covering the double mattress - which it actually didn't and I ended up sleeping on bare mattress. Also, most of the time we were there on what we expected to be a romantic break, we had only a single sheet each to cover us at night, so it was a hard job to cuddle up and still have something covering you and protecting you from the mosquitos they didn't mention before.

As for the food...two hour window for brekki and two hour window for dinner. If you don't mind hard bread uncovered, with flies all over it (flies everywhere actually) then you'll be fine. Fruit from tins... oh apart from some melon and some apples! I felt sorry for the continental guests who would normally have cheese and meats for brekki - this place offerred processed sliced cheese.. you know the plastic stuff?? and processed meats. You could get a sort of enligh breakfast but with mini frankfurter sausages, streaky, mostly uncooked, bacon and beans etc.. Dinner was OK, but from what I hear, not up to the standard of Greek food in other places.

We spoke to another couple who've stayed in Greece before, not Zante, and they said they were going to sue. Another couple we met a few times didn't like the lack of comfort. It says minimal and they really mean it, not in the stylish sense!

The swimming pool area is nice, but hardly any of the umbrellas work. No towels by the pool or beach so bring your own. The pool loos are a disgrace! Vile!

The beech in front is OK, but venture further and it looks like a bomb site... rubbish everywhere, discarded cars and waterskis! The water however is crystal clear!

This is supposed to be a 4 star hotel, well I've stayed in 4 star and this isn't one. Its more like 2 star. If you paid £150 for the holiday then you'll be pleased, but we paid £1200 and it was not worth it! Also, the hotel is really in the middle of nowhere! There's a couple of tavernas in walking distance, but I'm not convinced about the food - one guy walks along the beech selling fruit and the hotel advises not to buy it as it's not prepared hygenically - I can only guess he's from one of the tavernas!

In summary, I would never visit this hotel again, or Zante for that matter. Cabs rip you off, the place is filthy and the airport is my worst nightmare!"

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of October 2006

Lovely place, but......

"Me and my boyfriend have just returned home from a 2 week holiday at the bay hotel and suites in zakynthos. Firstly, I would like to say that zakynthos is a lovely place and the people are really helpful and friendly. We really enjoyed the scenery and the relaxing atmosphere the island has to offer, the sea was lovely and warm and the beaches in vassilikos are beautiful (esp Gerakas beach).

However, we didnt feel that the hotel lives up to the way it is portrayed in either the information provided by our tour operator or the pictures and information available on the hotels website. It would seem that the refurbishment of the hotel focused more on trying to make it minimalistic and trendy, rather than making it comfortable and relaxing. We really felt that there was a lack of attention to detail.

For example, everytime we pulled the plug in the bath (which was an extremely small bath.....had to stick me legs out to wash my hair) to drain the bath water, the bathroom would then become flooded due to the bathwater over flowing out of the drain in the middle of the bathroom floor. This was not only annoying, it also smelt pretty nasty. This was a problem, but some rooms didnt even have baths (such as the room we moved to).......not sure which was the more annoying! Also, if you expect fresh towels and sheets everyday then you shall not recieve this here. They didnt even make the beds properly, they just chucked a sheet onto the end of the bed.

In addition to the problems with the rooms, the restaurant is not the best, its a buffet with a limited choice. The breakfast is average (scrambled eggs were like rocks and tinned as opposed to fresh fruit apart from watermelon), but the dinner was really quite bad. I would recommend the greek cuisine if they have any available (they didnt everynight), because they served some really dodgy sweet and sour chicken and veg curry (luminous yellow!!!) one night. Also, the deserts on the whole are pretty nasty, although there is the odd one which is ok. In addition to the bad food, the staff, although friendly, are completely useless. They not only hardly ever bring you cuttlery before your food goes cold or at all, they dont even offer you a drink either most of the time.

The reception staff are mostly ok, but some dont speak very good english at all which is a bit annoying when you are trying to explain that you are being woken up by a couple with a screaming toddler at 6am in the morning every morning. Which leads me to my last comment.......if you have been led to believe that this hotel is a relaxing getaway for couples, then think again. I think every other guest had about 2 children, most of which would scream the restaurant down at both breakfast and dinner. Also, if you fancy a relaxing drink after dinner at the pool bar, then this is also an unachievable goal. There is entertainment for children at about 9-10 at the pool bar in the form of a mini disco in which all the kids sing along to a whole variety of terrible music.

Dont get me wrong, I am definately not anti children, but I am not in favour in listening to them which I am trying to relax on holiday, so hope I havent offended anyone.

Just on the upside, the hotel is clean and in a great setting (the best part of the island in my opinion), it has a lovely beach, and an ok pool. Our rep was very helpful, and we enjoyed a fun day out to smugglers cove. The are some lovely tavernas surrounding the hotel, all of which serve nice food in a quiet and relaxing atmosphere, I would especially recommend Babbis BBQ on the road towards gerakas beach.

Finally, I hope my review was helpful (and not too long) and that you enjoy your holiday where ever you are going!"

• Travel date: Thu 21st of September 2006

Hated the bay hotel but loved Zakynthos

"Excellent sea but terrible service, terrible breakfast, air conditioning not properly functioning. It is a pity for such an island to have an hotel like that"

• Travel date: Sun 6th of August 2006

The Bay hotel, Vasilikos

Good

"We have just returned from the Bay hotel. On the whole ,it was a good holiday. The area around the hotel is quiet and surrounded by olive trees. The staff were very nice and most helpful. Breakfast's were ok but the standard of the evening meal needed to be better. The bed'd were rather hard and surrounded by a large timber frame(Kneepads required)The rooms were kept nice and clean.The taverna(stone's) at the bottom of the road is well worth a visit and for a very good meal try'Simply Greek' in Vasilikos village."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of May 2011

Hotels near The Bay Hotel & Suites

Stayed at The Bay Hotel & Suites? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for The Bay Hotel & Suites

• Theo by Theo

"Get the sea views and the comfy cushioned sun beds. "

• scotty831 by scotty831

"most relaxing part of the island "

• scotty831 by scotty831

"the whole island is lovely "

•  Duncan from Edzell Scotland by Duncan from Edzell Scotland

"Highly recommened if you like peace and quiet and enjoy a bottle of wine. "

• RAB by RAB

"Hire some sort of transport "

The Bay Hotel & Suites is also called