Great Hotel

Reviewed Mon 14th of July 2014

"This is a hotel what wants to please everyone. We have just returned after our fourth holiday there. It is a family run hotel and we can see since our last visit they have made some nice touch improvements and the food keeps getting better. The staff are all fantastic and friendly. Everybody you talk to would defiantly consider returning again. Tom is in charge of entertainment and is fantastic. This year there was some controversy over the bingo because of one persons comments. This is wrong and as with all these reviews one person should not get you to change your mind. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, just hoping there will still be a room left for us for next year. "

• Travel date: Fri 11th of July 2014

Brilliant hotel.

Reviewed Sat 20th of October 2012

"We have just returned from our first visit to Zante where we stayed at the Bitzaro Grande. We had a fantastic holiday which was due to the friendliness of the staff, the fantastic food and the accommodation which was clean and comfortable. The pool bar played a brilliant selection of music to suit all age groups which made our days very relaxing and enjoyable. Kalamaki town had lovely restaurants and bars and the Greek people are so warm and friendly. We are already planning to return next year as we know we are guaranteed a great holiday. Well done to all staff at the Bitzaro Grande, see you next year!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 20th of October 2012

BItzaro Grande

Reviewed Tue 5th of October 2010

"Im 42, single and holiday alone, and I found the Bitzaro grande covered all my needs.

I have just returned after 4 wonderful days at the hotel. I had private transfers from the airport, which were waiting for me upon arrival and whizzed me to the hotel. I was there, checked in, unpacked and sat round the pool before the coaches arrived with the other guests. It's very close to the airport, which yes, does mean some plane noise, but its only odd occasions and only for 5 minutes at a time. I myself loved to see the planes come by so low and so close...almost at the edge of the pool!

From the minute I arrived at reception, to the minute I left I found the staff to be very professional, very personable and very helpful. Two exceptions....the two people on the bars. Some reviews I have read on here sing their praises, but I found them to be not so pleasant as all the other staff. Still professional, but less friendly.

I am a bit of a people watcher, and upon observation found that they were more cheery and friendlier with people who put coins in their respective tip jars before placing their orders.....am I wrong in thinking that tips should REWARD good service afterwards, and not BUY good service beforehand?

However, that is a small gripe. The reception staff were excellent, always had a smile for you as soon as you entered the foyer, and were most helpful. They knew which room you were in after a couple of visits and did not need to ask. When I first arrived and checked in, I was directed to the dining room to eat as it was soon due to close, which I thought was a nice touch.

The guy who ticks you in to the evening meal was mostly also responsible for the entertainment as well. Extremely amiable, and knew your name after one appearance in the dining room.

I find it hard to sit in bars alone, so I did not go to any of the evening entertainment he provided, but I certinly heard it while I was in my room, and it all sounded great! Plenty of laughter and amusement going on. The choice of music he played during the day was also great, and not too loud that it took over everything. I was still able to read my book through it all.

The free form pool was fantastic, and clean. I didnt go in it, as I dont swim, but it was popular in the daytime, and games were arranged in it regularly.

The room I stayed in was excellent. Plenty of space, huge bed, fabulous pillows....cleaned daily by respectful maids who excelled in their work. I had a pool view, and also a view of the lovely gardens that the whole hotel is set in. Climbing vines and flowers, trees and bushes everywhere...a real oasis of colour.

It didnt seem too busy at the time of year I went...late September, people did still resort to placing towels on sun loungers first thing in the morning, but there were plenty to go around, and I was always happy to take one set slightly back from the poolside and near a shady tree.

The food was fantastic. I never tried the poolside bar snacks, but the meals eaten in the dining room were enough for me! A smaller choice than some hotels I've been to, but always plenty of it...the bowls were filled up regularly and it was always hot and fresh. It was also nice to have the option to eat inside or out on a balcony. The waiters were solicitous, though maybe the younger males tended to hover over the younger prettier guests!

The hotel location is ideal. Close to the airport, close to the main road..(the hill isnt that steep), close to lots of shops, supermarkets and bars. Close to the beach. I would go so far as to say perfect.

A tip for future guests.....dont hang about too much for the reps.....I only saw mine once and was unable to book tours with her at that time, plus the tours they ran were awkwardly timed for my length of stay. Instead, go to the main road and visit one of the tour shops there.

Chris is at Cavo Grosso just as soon as you get to the main road.....fantsticly friendly guy, would always have a wave and a greeting for me every time I passed and would always stop to chat.....and further up and across the road is Pat at Skytours...British lady and very helpful. Their prices are also a LOT cheaper than ones booked with the rep!!

To sum up....Bitzaro Grande is definitley worth a visit...I would go again except that I like to go to different countries each time I go abroad, but I would cheerfully recommend it to all Zakynthos/Zante visitors as a wonderful, warm, friendly place to stay.

• Travel date: Tue 5th of October 2010

Simply the Best

Reviewed Wed 18th of November 2009

"Fantastic Hotel,ticks all the box`s from a short transfer from the Airport to the best variety of food iv`e ever had,clean Hotel,good room layout,freindly staff,good service,and Kalamaki and the beach only a short walk away.Lots to do in the day & night,i have already booked to return in July 2010."

• Travel date: Wed 18th of November 2009

fantastic

Reviewed Mon 26th of October 2009

"Just returned from a fantastic two weeks at the Bitzaro Grande. Anastasia on the reception really made us feel welcome as did all the staff. They work really hard. The hotel accomodation and grounds are spotlessly clean. The dining room was wonderful with a samll but excellent choice of food. The choice of meals were not repetitive and was of a very high standard. There was no need to reserve sunbeds as there were plenty for all. Snacks at the snack bar were all freshly made to order. Only complaint was our rooms were next to the lobby which could be noisy at night, not drunken rowdy behaviour but people congregating to talk. We asked for a change of room which the reception staff duly obliged, we has no problem after this. Aircraft was not a problem in fact in was pleasant watching the planes come in to land over the side approach to the hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of October 2009

Great Holiday

Reviewed Mon 26th of October 2009

"Party of 2 Adults and 2 teenage girls (age14) requested two twin rooms when we arrived we were offered two rooms next door to each other or a family suite, your choice. The food was excellent lots of choice but you do need to eat early or the choices are not always replenished.Picnics available if you go out for the day. Excellent staff work very hard and the entertainment was basic but very good kept us entertained every evening. Sun lougers around the pool never a problem there were always lots spare (no need to get up early to bags a set of sun beds. The beach was very clean and well managed regarding the endangered turtles, we even saw a turtle swimming very near to us when we were out on a pedalo. Overall a very good hotel and resort. Would recommend it's even interesting watching the planes coming into land (not noisy). Direct hoilday rep rubbish, but he left us alone."

• Travel date: Sat 24th of October 2009

What an amazig holiday!

Reviewed Wed 9th of September 2009

"We boarded the plane to Zakynthos from Glasgow Airport. Very comfortable flight. 4 hours later we arrived in Zakynthos. The airport was only 3km from the hotel, but the transfer bus took about 1hr because we were the last people to be dropped off from the bus... they had to go round the full island first which was a bit rubbish but we didnt mind.

We went with a party of 6 3 adults and 3 teenagers. We all had something to do, wether it was play water polo, darts or pool during the day and playing bingo at night which we won 4 times.. :) During the day we took a stroll to the beach and went into laganas we also went to mcdonalds in laganas. We also walked up the Kalamaki Street thing (Go out the hotel and turn left) most people complained about the "Hill" that you had to walk up but it wasnt even steep it was more like steps than a hill! Not many shops in the main street a couple of bars and cafes but some things were shut for the season.

Not much to do in kalamaki but it makes for a quiet holiday and a good relaxation.. We hired a car from a hire place up the street, and we also hired a quad for the day.. We went around the island in the car and viisted Keri and Argassi.. We also went to the best view of the island (WOULDNT RECCOMEND TO ANYONE!). An amazing holiday although i would recommend going before everythign shuts for the season..

Overall the hotel is amazing aswell as the food. Different things every night nothing repeated for the 2 weeks we were here (except the kids corner). Sometimes there was even a chef carving a pig right infront of you, it was beautiful. The hotel is right in the flightpath of the airport, but you only seen a plane a couple of times and it was actually quite good to watch. Nothing to complain about. The hotel was amazing, and very clean. The rooms were clean and spacious with a fridge and TV, also a telephone to speak to reception. The beach as quiet although you have to stay clear of the turtle nest which didnt bother us. The pedalos were a good way to get out and see the caretta turtles, although quite dear. The hotel hosted a show about turtles and you could buy turtle pencils, necklaces, bracelets etc.

I loved this holiday and ive booked up for October 09!
Cant wait till i go back!"

• Travel date: Sun 6th of September 2009

what a corker!

Reviewed Tue 18th of August 2009

"A fabulous two weeks at the Bitzaro Grande. weather no lower than 40degrees. all staff go out of their way to make your stay comfortable and welcoming. food was superb,cooked breakfast, with english sausage,beans,bacon etc together with pastries and croissents. evening meals consisted of 3 meats,pasta etc. One night we even had a full chinese. nothing was repeated in the whole fortnight.
nicky at the pool snack bar spoke excellent english and worked particualy hard.snacks were mainly pizza,chips,burgers.toasties and various rolls.
only downsides were air conditioning,which had restricted times.this being switched off at 6pm-10pm when we were getting ready for the evening.also we never bother to reserve sunbeds, but we had to here before 8am or you were unlikely to get one.Kalmaki was only a short walk away with plenty of tavernas,shops,etc.
tomas is the entertainer,he tries is best,mainly bingo,quizzes and the odd turtle talk. although the airport is close by,we were not bothered by the noise.
hope to return soon. Amanda and Wayne
(Wales) "

• Travel date: Mon 17th of August 2009

hotel food is discusting

Reviewed Tue 14th of July 2009

"first i would like to say the food is discusting it was fish rice fish batter fish fish fish, the drink are very much watered down its like drink 20p tesco own brand with 20 gallons of water added to it. the rooms are clean and the maids change the sheets everyday and fresh towels. The only down fall about this hotel is the food i would rate the food as a 3 star.there are planes that go ova reali low. also people like to have a dump in the pool (nice).. but apart from that its clean and the staff are friendly and helpful and the entertainment is very good the show nite is very funny which is on a saturday and they do games around the pool area"

• Travel date: Sun 12th of July 2009

Bitzaro Grande

Reviewed Mon 15th of June 2009

"Just returned from 10 georgious days At the Bitzaro Grande Kalamaki.This hotel is lovely and clean Towels/bedding changed daily rooms are basic/clean,noisy from the pool entertainment at nights but we didnt find it to disturbing.Tomas tries really hard to entertain(his bingo is fun]The staff are very friendly &helpfull especially Mac the thomos cook rep.I am a very picky eater but found there was allways somthing i could eat {certainly didnt go hungry]Tip!take beach towels with you as we & most people had to by them 5eurs as you cannot take the hotels towels to the beach There is a little shop on the way to the beach (lovely couple)that sell most things (water,fruit, lotions etc]a little futher along a snack bar [the sandwiches chips are really nice]
The beach is quite narrow as you can only put umbrellas closr to the sea due to the turtles nesting,we didnt find this a problem.My husband was lucky enough to swimm next to 2 turtles.i litrally had hundreds of fish eating bread out of my hand.
I was worried about the comments i had read regarding the airport,it wasnt to bad at all,yes we had to que for 90minutes to check in etc.but it was cool inside and the reps were very helpfull.The toilets were very clean.Duty free is upstairs and you can smoke up there.We were a party of six middle age {young at heart} friends & all enjoyed our holliday and will certainly return.PS take mosquito repellant."

• Travel date: Sun 14th of June 2009

hotel

Reviewed Mon 8th of June 2009

"This hotel is amazing! very clean hotel, great food and very nice and freindly staff.The rooms are a very good size and are always cleanned every day.The low flying planes are not a problem and there are not many and it was enjoyable watch them fly over.The food was great and different every day bt the snack bar at the side of the pool had not much choice of food but the food was always great!.The beach is a 5-10 min walk and is a really nice beach and if you hire a pedalow and you are lucky you can see the loggahead turtles which are rare but its a amazing site when you see them.This hotel is the best hotel I have stopped in and i will recommend it to anyone had a really great holiday and will be going back there in the future. well done to all the staff at bitzaro grande!!!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 7th of June 2009

This was the worst holiday i have ever b...

Reviewed Thu 29th of January 2009

"This was the worst holiday i have ever been on. Staff were rude and unhelpful. The food was cold and wasn't much choice, however, The evening entertainment was very good. Nightlife aroung the hotel is nearly non existant and the nearest beach is very dirty. You cannot walk through the town without being harrassed to buy something. Alcoholic drinks just taste like water. I wouldn't recommend this holiday to anyone."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of January 2009

Hotels near Bitzaro Grande Hotel

Top traveller tips for Bitzaro Grande Hotel

• jacky_991 by jacky_991

"nice resturants and bars lovley place "

• jacky_991 by jacky_991

"the loggahead turtles "

• chloe9498 by chloe9498

"Loved seeing the shipwreck enjoyed the oasis bar very friendly. "

• richmo by richmo

"Take the boat trip to see the turtles fromLaganos wich is a short taxi ride reception will order one "

• Mark1000 by Mark1000

"You can use the holiday to be as active or relaxing as you like. "

• MarkG by MarkG

"We didnt go to shipwreck but i heard it was amazing. "

• kkc by kkc

"hotel has good evening entertainment "

• abowen by abowen

" hatching turtle on the beach "

• PeteRatcliffe by PeteRatcliffe

"Island trips & Turtle spotting by boat "

• simms by simms

"Go and see the turtles on a pedlo not a boat coz that way u can get closer and a good picture "

Bitzaro Grande Hotel is also called