We have recently updated our Privacy Policy. Click here to learn more

Xenos Kamara Beach

Argassi, Argassi 291 00 Greece

Good

Clean and friendly but not a lot to do but eat and sunbathe.

Good

"This hotel is clean and quite comfortable. The staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are a very good size with lots of storage for clothes etc. With the exchange rate this summer we found ourselves spending lots of money, a can of cola is 2Euros and a bowl of ice cream averages at 4. The boat tour of the island was spectacular, the sea is so clean and blue. Swimming off the rocky sidde of the island was the highlight of the trip. Well worth hiring a car and touring the whole island - stopped at a snack bar/food van on the side of the road and had the best freshly squeezed orange juice ever. Walked up the hill to see the fortress in Zakinthos town, lovely walk, fantastic photo opportunities en-route but the fort was shut, it is hit and miss as to when it is open. It is impossible to get to see the turtles on the beaches - which is good for the turtles but beware of indications that you can visit them. We ate out every night and did not have a bad meal but would recommend the following:- Ethnic - greek with a twist - two Greek Autralian sisters run this resturant and it is fabulous, Zorba's - HUGE portions, fantastic service, the Thia resturant was a nice alternative to the Greek cuisine with very light meals (still in large prtions though). There is very little entertainment in the evenings, there are lots of bars, restaurants and shops. Taxi to Kalimaki beach, which is much nicer thata Argassi beach, the sea is clearer and the beach is sandy, cost 10Euro nad well worth the visit. The taverna in Kalimaki beach is very good too. On Argassi beach you can hire jet skis etc, but at 50Euro for 15 minutes we felt it a little expensive. The paraglidiing cost 50Euro for two or 40Euro for one and last for 5 minutes. There are very few traditional buildings due to the massive 1953 earthquake."

• Travel date: Sat 8th of August 2009

All in all it was a nice stay...

"ROOM:

Positives:
The room was superb... for only 2 of us we had a room with a double bed, and a room with 3 singles, kitchen and bathroom.. it was clean, comfy and it had plenty of features such as TV, Air con (need a remote from desk which I assume you pay for), lots of hangers in the robes, fridge, toasty maker, microwave, cooker, etc..
Fresh towels daily. Maid service daily. 2 BAlcony's - and overlooked the beach. (Side View).

Negatives:
Only 1 english channel and it was news and i lost the channel trying to change the volume and so we lost that on day 2... but that was my fault.. so don't play with the TV (use the remote only).

Staff are really nice and always available.

Location - on the beach.

Pool - gorgeous and warm... 4' to 6' deep + childrens pool.

Food - excellent and cheap - do not make the mistake we made and go to the shops to get supplies like cereals and toasty stuff etc... its more expensive than eating out 100% time.
Shops - tend to be expensive at the moment - but I think wherever the Euro is used is expensive now and its one reason many in the UK are not planning holidays where the Euro is used.

General Area:
Okay. Enough bars etc for a couple but if I was young I think I'd be disappointed. Okay for older people or kids as there are also small fun fairs scattered about so families would probably like this. Not a large resort.

The beach is rubbish, and it smells a bit near the hotel.

I would not go overboard about this whole place - although the hotel/apartment is very nice the general area is not great and so it's kinda wasted here.

I got a last minute holiday and it was really cheap so that helped.

I would give the hotel a possible 8.5/10
Area 5 / 10"

• Travel date: Thu 25th of June 2009

A great place to stay

"stayed at this hotel a couple of times and what a great experiance,rooms were a good size and cleaned regularly,no dragging your suitcases upstairs as there is a lift to do this for you.ideally located within easy reach of the nightlife but just a few steps from the beach.staff are friendly and the girl on the main reception is fantastic.when i was there they had evening entertainment which was usually well attended.all in all a great place to stay."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of June 2009

Friendly hotel

Good

"Booked this hotel 24 hours before going and agreed to it based on trip advisor reviews.
Hotel and staff brilliant - apartment was a good size 2 bedrooms - 1 double bed and 3 singles for just the 2 of us. Had a side sea view and could see both towards the hills and over to the Greek mainland - stunning. The apartments had double glazed patio doors which afforded you the soundproofing from the music of surrounding bars although they were not too loud or intrusive but did insure if you wanted to retire early that you would not be disturbed. The finish of the rooms were the best I have experienced in Greece but the kitchen equipment could have been better - we ate out but if you had wanted to cook in then was a little limited.
Sarah Jane and Christina (I think that was her name) on reception were so friendly and very helpful that they helped made our stay, always a smile or a laugh.
The nearest supermarket was at the top of the road no more than 2 mins away and had a good selection of goods. There were many restaurants in Argassi and most had people outside to entice you in - after a few days this did get a little bit annoying. Also people selling trips there were 4 shops that offered trips in Argassi. We booked with Smile (TEZ tours)on the left hand side but would not recommend their trips. We did the round the island tour although it appears good value that is because there is nothing to see after the blue caves and the smugglers cove - the rest is just island and sea - very boring - infact I think you will find most people do not recommend this trip and the locals think it hilarious that you have done it. You can go to Vasilikos and hire a boat for approx 30 euros for 4 hours and go out to various coves etc - that was what the locals recommended doing. We did the jeep safari with Zante Insight but it was a rip off as only got taken to 7 out of 12 things on the itinery - no help from Smile on getting a partial refund so beware. Both smile and Peters used this company.
Buses were very reliable and reasonable cost - to Zante was 1.40 and then from Zante to most other towns was between 1.40-1.50 each way. Not many buses so check the timetable - available from bus stops and the central bus station. Bus station very helpful. Taxis were not too expensive and cost 7 euros from Zante to Argassi and 10 euros from Kalamaki (good beach) back to Argassi should you not wnat to use the bus. They do drive like they are possesed so not a good idea if you are of a nervous disposition. The locals say they are down by about 40% on tourists based on last years figure so should be able to get some good deals out to here. Best restaurant was Granada at the far end of town when coming from Zante town past the Green frog restaurant and then the next one on the right. The owner and his family cannot do enough for you and are very friendly, more than happy to recommend dishes and are concerned that you have enjoyed your meal. They have a wicked sense of humour and a knack of making every one feel special and a friend. The food is cooked by the mother and is of a very good quality - we went 7 out of 8 days. they have a greek night on a Thurs which is very good and have dancers who actually look like they are enjoying themselves and throw themselves into entertaining the diners 100% yet won't push should you not want to join in. They do not charge for this night - they just get pleasure from seeing others enjoy themselves. Good breakfast from Marios about 2/3 way down the main road on the left - great english breakfast, clean restaurant and good service. Flocas cafe close to hotel was terrible - burnt bacon, burnt eggs and tinned tomatoes all served with a cigarette in the mouth and no customer service. Worst breakfast and no atmosphere."

• Travel date: Sat 20th of June 2009

Warm and Friendly

Good

"Second visit to the Kamara beach, first time was for one week september 2008 - late booking due to our booked holiday being cancelled. My sister and i were so pleased that we immediately booked up for a two week holiday June 2009.
We were joined by 4 other female friends for our first week.
We were greeted on arrival by the wonderful sarah, always so cheery and bubbly - and it was so nice when she recognised us from last year.
Our room was 204 and was perfect, it was situated on the road side with the most perfect seaview along with zante town in the distance. We had one large balcony which shared the afternoon sun with us - lasted well into 7.30pm. I normally insist on air conditioning but we opted to try before we buy, to my amazement we didnt need it, the room was so cool and airy. (saving 75euros) Paid 35 euos for the safe though.
The rooms are basic but clean and bright. The kitchen was of ample size - Table & 4 chairs, Microwave, kettle and sandwich maker all available for use. One tip - take a decent tin opener with you as they only supply the old fashioned kind with one sharp pointed blade !!
Towels changed regularly and rooms kept tidy every day. The maids were so obliging coming back when need be. Asking for more towels was never a problem.
George was great, always there to supply the late night cocktails - poor guy had 6 demanding woman at him every night !! He also gave me a loan of a mug to use in my room (tea lover and cups in the room were too small)
One of our firends had a birthday whilst we were there, Sarah organised the most fantastic birthday cake ever - huge, fruity and tasted very much like a tiramisu sponge recipe. George was the perfect host that day - presented the surprise cake, sang happy birthday, lit the candles and cut the cake (he even stored it for us in the cafe bar fridge for the following day)
Nic works on reception on the night shift and is such a lovely person, always there to meet and greet you no matter what time of night it was. Perfect host at 4am for those who suffer sleeping problems, as we did one night !!
Pool side hospitality is first class, george was like my private butler, tending to my needs no matter what. Even went and got the two of us dry clean towels when the weather changed suddenly one late afternoon, we were in the pool and had no towels nearby, the wind got up and made it very chilly to come out of the pool. He also makes a mean "tasty toasty" - food always presented well and was always "hot & tasty".
The beach was small and basic, with lots of seaweed at parts, i didnt care as the weather was so hot, we bought a lie low and chilled off drifting back and forth on the sea front - very relaxing. Lie low was 5 euros from up the road, could be found further along the strip at 3.80 euros.
The supermarket opposite the Kamara is perfect, sells almost everything, some things a bit pricey, 2.20 euros for a small tin of tuna. Cheapest milk in town, and most of all, very friendly service.
Our first night was in Zorbas, we even talked the owner into teaching us greek dancing, we had a real smashin' time !! In more ways than one !
The greek rooftop restaurant was excellent too - very friendly staff who talked us round to doing some of our traditional dancing for them, what a laugh - Freejugs of wine was our reward.
Star restaurant was execellent on the first week, food and service was great, but disappointing the second week, when they made a mistake with my meal, which meant i had to wait another 15 mins whilst my sister ate alone ! Poor customer service !!
Evrybody raves on about Ethnic restuarant, i felt that the food was OK but what was uncomfortable was that we were all packed in like sardines, power went off during the meal which meant we had to eat by candle light.
Our last night was back in zorbas but this time just me and my sister, and no plate smashing. We were both treated like royalty and was very impressed when we got our bill - the owner gave us a free carafe of wine as a thank you for a great night of entertainment.
Premier restaurant had a traditional greek night when we were there, 2 greek dancers done a brilliant job of getting all the customers up and joining in, dancing in the street, on the road and in the next door jewellers shop !! Cost me the price of a silver bangel !!!
Ohh and the food was great too !!
If you visit Zante town, be very careful where you choose to have a coffee, we asked for a cup of filter coffee and got a smal cup of nescafe [email protected] each - what a rip off.
Brilliant coffee bar in the square, free litre of chilled bottled water per visit.
Lots of shops, bars and eating places on the strip gives you the flexability to eat in differant places each night.
Was a great holiday, it felt like we were part of a family with all the staff at the hotel.Well done to all x"

• Travel date: Sun 14th of June 2009

Great Girls Holiday

"I have just come back from a week at the Kamara Beach Hotel in Argassi, Zante. What a great place to stay. We were a group of 6 ladies. We had 3 apartments which had 2 bedrooms in each apartment. All our bedrooms had a balcony. Ours was a side view, which had a view of the Sea. The hotel was clean and friendly . All the staff were very helpful. One of the girls had a birthday whilst we were there and Sarah, from reception ordered a beautiful birthday cake for the occasion. Thanks Sarah! George was there everyday serving drinks and food, looking after us all. Beer from frozen glasses is just what is required in the hot sun.
The hotel was really quite, but it was early in the season.
Kamara Beach Aparthotel is on the beach, and although the beach was not the best , it could have been a bit cleaner, it didnt stop us enjoying the Sea. There was lots of smelly seaweed in one part. We did see people doing some clearing up, so maybe its cleaned more as it get busier?
I would definately recomend this hotel to friends. Its a great base for the main street through Argassi. Loads of bars, shops and restaurants. Zorba's restaurant was one of the best, we had them teaching us Greek dancing and the restaurant next door, threw some plates in, then everyone was throwing plates, it was such fun. Star was another good restaurant. Also there was a Thai and Greek restaurant, upstairs, we went to the Greek side, that was good too.
If you want an Ideal location, clean, friendly hotel then Kamara beach is it. Its also about 10 mins from the airport. We got a taxi for 4 at 15 Euros.
A taxi into Zante town was 7 Euros.
Beware of the restaurant , Village Inn and a bar called the Ship Inn both on the Front. We got ripped off in both places!!! Ask the price first...most important.
Happy Holidays!"

• Travel date: Sun 7th of June 2009

Just what we needed.

"First of all can I apologise for the lengthof this review, but when we read other reviews we found a lot just told you the bad stuff and probably put us off a lot of places that were really ok. So I vowed to write a review that may help people. I hope it does!! So maybe make yourself a cuppa before you begin! LOL!

THE HOTEL.
My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for two weeks at the end of September. After reading reviews of every other hotel on the island we finally booked it. I wanted somewhere quiet, close to a beach and far away from club 18-30's.
We arrived around 12 in the afternoon and got our room straight away. We had "requested" a sea view room when making our booking, but got a room on the side of the hotel (not the side next to the road).That was ok as we still had a glimpse of ocean and plenty of privacy on the HUGE balcony. There was a stagnant smell that wafted around at times as there was an inlet running along the side of the hotel. Being on the bottom level we could always hear EVERYTHING the neighbours above us were doing!! We could also hear music from the bar next door but it never kept us awake at night. (My boyfriend is a light sleeper and no real complaints.) Although we had our balcony doors closed at night as we had paid the supplement for air conditioning, expensive, 75 euros for the two weeks, but a necessity I suppose if the heat bothers you at night. Another fee that the hotel charged was 35 euros for the key to your safe. We thought this was ridiculous and instead locked all of our valuables in one suitcase and either hid the keys or took them with us. The apartment was sufficient, plenty of crockery, a hotplate, kettle, pans, microwave/grill, and a toastie machine (hint: be imaginative with your creations, bacon beans and cheese toasties for brekky!!) but no washing up liquid and only one tea towel. Towels get changed every few days, but we did ask for fresh ones and the maid obliged, and the rooms were “tidied” every day. Bring your own towels for the pool. Not enough storage space. Tv only had one main English channel- irish sky news! Ive never been so well informed! ( My younger brother suggested that I could have taken Play station and dvd’s and hooked it in. good idea to keep kids amused) The pool was clean, always had heaps of free sun lounges, parasols and lilos and balls (left behind?) to use. We didn’t eat there but the food looked ok, cocktails for 3 euros 50, 2 euros for a can of coke. Asks you to refrain from taking your own to the pool but we bought a few rounds then took our own cokes and water each day. Either nobody noticed or they weren’t bothered.

THE LOCATION.
Right next to the beach, but to be honest we spent most of time at the pool. Too much seaweed (and we could smell what was going into the water!!! )Some rubbish dotted around too, but the water was warm and you can wade out past the seaweed! Down the road was a supermarket called Asda price, found that the cheapest. Some really great restaurants, don’t remember the name of the two we loved. One is run by an Australian lady,(ethnic I think it my be called) with cushions on the window sill, opposite the tour shop and another one is to the left also, further down the street with a big white fountain outside it to the right. (may begin with a P?) We hired a scooter 90euros for 2 weeks from the shop directly in front of the hotel (in a red cage), bought a cheap zante guide book and went exploring. Excellent, do it! We found some of the most amazing beaches, and even took ourselves to the shipwreck (above it of course). The island really isn’t that big. We also followed a sign we saw saying “Panaramia” and “best view of the island” on little home made green signs. Follow them. It truly is a panoramic best view of the island. The owners just ask you to buy something from their shop. Headed to Laganas for a night, a lot busier than Argassi, and people trying to pull you into bars which got on my nerves after a while!

OVERALL
We had a really good two weeks away. The hotel was everything we needed. Loved the pool, explored the island, got a good tan and put on 5 pounds from too much Tatziki, chips and cheese!! Everyone we met was friendly.
The only thing we didn’t enjoy was a boat tour of the island. The weather was too cold, rough seas and people packed on like sardines, plenty with sea sickness!!! Couldn’t get off to swim at all the promised stops, including the shipwreck, which was all we wanted (for sentimental reasons). But I’m sure another day would have been great, only take your own drinks and picnic as the boat is pricey. Karen the sales lady at the tour shop was great. Don’t forget your sun-cream either, for some reason they charge a fortune!!"

• Travel date: Wed 8th of October 2008

Greta place!

Good

"We booked this holiday 2 days before leaving and tried to research as much as possible on the internet but you can never be sure! Flight was with Monarch and we were packed in like sardines and bombarded with food, drinks, charity donations, scratch cards, duty free...all that was missing was a collection for the pilots!

The apartments are lovely, if you can afford to go for a higher star rating then you should as its worth it. We talked to other people who had a 2 star and they had plastic forks and paper plates. We had a 2 bed apartment, kitchen had a full microwave that roasted, cooked, toasted etc, an electric hob, toastie maker and room for 5 to sit and eat. Take mugs if you like a large coffee as the cups are small. Full bathroom, large double bed in bedroom one with a TV, dresser and wardrobe and doors to the balcony. Bedroom 2 had storage and 2 beds with doors onto the balcony.

Our view was to the inner courtyard and backed onto a greek taverna. Once the doors are closed the room is more or less soundproof and we were not disturbed by music etc. The bar and lounge area are nice, pool area is safe for kids but watch out for the guys selling DVD copies that hassle you all the time. Its Greek law/custom that anyone can use any pool and at 2pm ish we had a few school kids dropping their bags on a lounger and jumping in. At which point the English kids got out. Ice Creams from the bar are very nice BTW!

Beach is a bit nasty, seaweed and rubbish. You can walk out a long way and snorkelling is good but my kids got stuck with jelly fish or something......Mossies are also a pain. Eating out is good, we spent on average 40/50 EU each night for 4 with drinks. Try STARS for a greek night of dancing and across from there for a good fry up. The tavernas are all much the same as are the shops. YU GI OH cards are very cheap, they are probably copies but look good!

Use the free bus to St Nicholas beach at 10.30am just down the road, take a picnic as food is expensive there, lots of water sports there but not for 10/11 year olds really more for 18/30 group. Again nice and shallow and safe. We went on a full island boat trip on the last day, very rough and I was very ill! Blue caves and shipwreck as well as stops for swimming, again take a picnic! Next time I wouldn't go on this trip but hire a car and travel to them under our own steam.

Good Holiday, will probably try a different island next time. You may get Nicola the COSMOS rep looking after you, she is very nice and helpful."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of June 2007

Great sea.

"This is an aparthotel, we have had an experience of this type of hotel before.
There was five of us ( two adults three children)
The apartments vary considerably. Our apartment had a sideways sea view two seperate balconies. One balcony from main bedroom was a 'juliet balcony' - not enough room for a chair, the other baclony had space for a couple of chairs but, when sitting, you could not see the sea. The balcony overlooked a ditch at the side ( not as bad as it sounds) but it did smell sometimes! The kitchennette with a small table for eating at had no usuable window - you would not want to sit and eat there if you could avoid it.
The room was clean and comfortable. It was cleaned each day but they failed to remove sand that built up - everywhere.
The air conditioning worked very well.
There were a couple of very nice apartments on the front corners but our rep thought it was too complicated (Cosmos) to change. Some of the aprtments only had a view of the internal courtyard and we were glad we did not have to stay there!
The pool was nice but the pool bar ( which is actutally situated inside the hotel) had loud music playing on the terrace which we did not like.
The bar did not attract us ( due to the music) and the bar man (not greek) was not particularly friendly.
The beach - right in front of the hotel - was small but fairly good. The sea was great for us with the water very clean ( a little sea weed) and shallow for a long way out.
The neighbouring Tavernas ( Boletsos and Rameejas(?) were very good for us."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of August 2006

A relaxing, sunsoaked break

"Our family of four shared a two bedroomed apartment facing the garden.

The rooms were spotlessly clean, with ample sorage space. The patio doors are double allowing you to cut out any external noise (if there is any). The cleaners visit every day.

The staff are very, very friendly and you are always greated with a smile, and if you require help or information they are a mind of knowledge and nothing is too much trouble.

There are ample sunbeds and the sea at the nearest point is approximately 3/4 metres from the poolside down about eight steps.

The grounds have ample seating area with tables and chairs for eating.

The outside of the hotel is as clean as the inside.

The sea is crstal clear blue waters, safe for swimming and shallow enough for children to play safely. For those who like to swim and snorkel, you only hve to go out about 100 meters for deeper waters.

For those that like to shop, there are lots of shops to browse around in Argassi and for those who wish to eat out, there are some fantastic restaurants.

Our biggest regret is that we were there only for one week, my grandson has not stopped talking about since coming home.

If this is read by the management or staff, may I thank you on behalf of my family for the effective and efficient running of a first class establishment.

Rod Mole & family."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of June 2006

Not all their fault!!

"The big European Tour Operators control the market in Greece; they buy allocations of rooms from local hoteliers and sell them on to you as a package holiday. However, their mark up is massive (this is how they make their profit) and the amount they actually pay the hotels is very small. Add to this, the fact that they insist on having all the rooms at their disposal but if they aren't selling well, they can also cancel half or even all of the rooms at short notice just before the summer season, leaving hotels with no chance of finding other bookings. And as the Tour Operators don't pay until the season has finished, the hotels can do nothing about it, just hope they don't have to wait too long for their money (Tour Operators often pay late.) And if a Tour Operator goes bust, the hotels can kiss goodbye to a whole year's income. And by the way, if the hotels don't like it, that's tough, they must accept it or the Tour Operators will go elsewhere (they control the market completely.) Given all this, is it any wonder that some hotels cut a few corners with their maintenance/running costs? The sooner we all book direct with the hotels online, and cut the Tour Operators out of the picture, the better it will be for all of us (tourists AND hotels!!!)

• Travel date: Wed 11th of July 2012

Poor Quality Appartments

"We went self catering which would of been impossible due to the hygiene standards of the equipment and the general cooking area. Certainly we didn’t have enough cups etc to sit down and actually eat a meal. The divan beds and mattress’s where grubby. The door would not close probably and woke our children up if moved. We reported this to the Scottish receptionist on the day of our arrival and several times during the two week holiday. It became obvious that she was simply fobbing us off with lies that someone would come to have a look which never happened. The shower head had no holder and had to be held, and the bathroom would flood every time it was used. It was said was due to the Greek drains, but we have been to numerous Greek island and never had a problem before. I suspect it was the fact that no maintenance had been carried out on the apartments since they were first built which really was the problem. Nearly all the apartment sun beds were damaged in some way which meant people either sat on the floor or had to pay an additional cost to obtain a grubby sun bed mat.
Although other reviews indicate differently I have never met such an unfriendly bar man as George in all my life who seemed more interested in watching TV and stabbing the inflatable’s in the pool than serving the customers.

• Travel date: Tue 28th of December 2010

Hotels near Xenos Kamara Beach

Stayed at Xenos Kamara Beach? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Xenos Kamara Beach

• Topcatdc by Topcatdc

"currently the resort of Argassi is very expensive to stay in due to the Euro /pound "

Xenos Kamara Beach is also called