good location

Reviewed 11th August 2012

"nice resort and hotel rooms at front of hotel can be noisy from road and the bar below pool not to kiddie friendly just a small area for them shingle beach across the road plenty of tavernas and shops only paid £219 on a deal not sure if we would pay the full price olympic hols were asking "

• Travel date: 11th August 2012

Good but not excellent

Reviewed 14th September 2010

"Had 2 weeks at the Sands hotel this Summer.Clean but basic.For self catering the kitchen utensils were totally inadequate.Proximity to the beach was a major plus point as was the nearness of several very good beach restaurants.The pool was very good indeed and very well maintained.One further criticism was the lack of an individual balcony which we found curious as we shared with 3 other rooms.The proprietor would benefit from smiling occasionally.Air con and safety deposit box (which wasn't even in the room) charges were outrageous.We would return to Nidri but not to that hotel."

• Travel date: 4th September 2010

really great hotel with one small 'but'

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"The Sands is very clean and well located, it deserves the high praise others give it but ... the bar is a marbled floored large room with a pool table and a few of the rooms are immediately above, the sound of pool cue on balls, other guests enjoying a lively late night in the bar, the music from the hifi and then the cleaners starting work at about 7am left perhaps only four or five hours of peace to get some sleep. If you are a late night party animal don't be put off, this is one of the best places we have stayed at in Greece, if you want more peace and quiet just ask for a room on the top floor perhaps at the back. I hate to give a good place a less than glowing review but this is the only honest response I can make."

• Travel date: 30th August 2009

Lovely apartments on a beautiful island

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"We stayed at the Sands the last week of June and first week in July, this was our 3rd time in Nidri and 2nd at the Sands. We particularly like the Sands because of the position opposite the beach and also for 2 star self catering accommodation in Greece it would be hard to find anywhere better. I'll admit that we only used the fridge and kettle in the apartment, don't see the point of being on holiday and eating in your room but everyones different. We have always found the owner Laertis to be helpful and accommodating if any problems should arise. I really cannot understand why anyone who is short of cutlery or if their hotplate does not work wouldn't just ask Laertis to sort the problem out then and there instead of complaing when they get home and as for getting short measures of beer, just ask for your glass to be topped up, it's as simple as that. We had the room above reception this year, great view of the pool, beach and sea, yes there is a club called the Sail Inn across the road, we didn't hear any noise from it and were not disturbed by cars or bikes at night, some of the other guests said they heard some car and m/bike noise on Friday and Saturday nights. We went to the beach more often than staying by the pool and had lunch in the Anna Maria cafe/restaurant most days, the food is lovely and quite reasonable can recommend the Gyros in Pitta, some guests went there in the evening and were very impressed with the standard and price of the food. The family who run the restaurant also have the sun bed concession on the beach opposite, they moved there this year from Zakynthos Anna Maria, the daughter has the biggest smile in Nydri. Favourite restaurants were, Kalypso, almost opposite Anna Maria's, Tom's Seaside (near the harbour) and Mistrali and El Greco, on the harbour. Another great find was a restaurant in the hills behind Nidri called Dimitri's, if you go early evening you get fantastic views across Nidri harbour & bay. The food is of a very high standard and is quite a lot cheaper than in town, the taxi cost €7 each way but it's well worth it, Laertis will arrange the cab for you. Lots of guests return to these apartments year after year, which should be recommendation enough, the apartments are clean and well equipped for 2 star accommodation, for the price, the Sands is hard to beat."

• Travel date: 29th August 2009

Sands Hotel, its all about opinions

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"I visited the Sands hotel at the end of July; I have visited many of the Greek Islands and the main land and found the island very green unlike Crete etc which seem barren by comparison. Nidri itself is as most Greek resorts a small town that follows the coast road. I found that the main street as usual was crowded but the drivers weren’t aggressive and the shops were of a high standard. The harbour is the main feature of the resort it is very nice sitting there eating your meal overlooking the sea, the restaurants were good and you can expect to pay about 30 Euros for a meal. Whilst we were there we did the island trip that was good, I forget the name of the ship (it was blue yacht) it was 90 Euros for 2 including food and drink (limited) but you have to ask why do they give you cheap ALDI Cola and Lemonade?? The beach is clean and its well worth hiring a sun bed for 6 Euros the sea is clean and clear. Right to the main reason for writing, the Sands hotel the rooms are by Greek standard very nice, the sheets and bedding were changed regularly the self catering facility’s are, well to put it mildly not up to the job it wasn’t a problem as we ate out every night.. I was lucky in one sense to have the room that has the OLYMPIC holiday sign on the brochure. It overlooks the pool and you can see the sea. It is supplied with a mosquito nets and double glazing. Being July it wasn’t unbearably hot so we slept with patio doors open, but at night the noise from the DISCO across the road was bad, screeching cars revving motorbikes and the Greek under twenty’s shouting competition most nights, some of the Sands lovers reading this will say get the air con, close the doors my reply why should I?? The level of noise from that place wouldn’t be tolerated in Kos that’s for sure (end of moan). We ate a couple of times at lunch at Sands the food was good same price as eating at Harbour, the pool did get a little bit crowded sometimes no sun loungers, there is a large patio perhaps Lataris could move some tables, they are never full so he can get more loungers round pool more people round pool = more people eating / drinking. I also laughed at the other review about the half served pints, if you watch newbie’s get full pints and it gradually decreases as your week progresses, im not joking lol With regard to the BBQ I think people are convinced its going to be like the night before the wedding on MAMA MIA it isn’t, well not the ones we saw, of course the argument is why don’t you join in, make it fun?? Again its personnel choice. Your going to ask me my favourite restaurant, well that’s easy the Pine Wood serves supermarket Kebabs!! I saw them on the counter lol so that’s them off my fave list the best restaurant by far, in my opinion and these reviews are all about opinions is the Calypso its 200 yds from the Sands turn left walk 200 yds you see an Italian then the calypso you sit on the beach its very nice the staff are very good. So finally, Nidri is a nice place believe me the Harbour area is great the restaurants are good, we didn’t have a bad meal prices in supermarkets are good euro for beer 3 Euros for 3 litres of local wine its good trust me! The Sands has nice rooms the disco was , again in my opinion a pain, Lateris (however you spell it sorry) seems amiable but his BBQ prices are too high 18 euro each is too much his prices at bar are high, but he has to make a living im sure Olympic give him a pittance. I wouldn’t go back too many other places to see but enjoy Nidri and thanks for reading this...."

• Travel date: 19th August 2009

Lovely Hotel in a great position!!

Reviewed 7th March 2013

"My boyfriend and I have just come back from the Sands. We stayed for a week which was not long enough! Nidri is a great town and considering it was the middle of the summer holidays was not that busy. The beaches has plenty of space on them and their were plenty of restaurants to eat at all very tasty!! The Sands was a lovely place to stay. It was in an ideal location. It is situated just at the edge of Nidri but only a short walk into town either along the road or along the beach. We couldn't have asked for better accomodation. We had a lovely room on the ground floor with our own patio area which was lovely for eating breakfast on. The room has everything we needed. The hotel owner was very accomodating even when we lost the air conditioning remote on the first day and when my boyfriend went running to him to help us sort out a snake he thought was on the window sill, turned out the be a bit of material! I've been to Nidri two times before and it is a lovely place one of my favourites and both me and my boyfriend have travelled around the world. It's got a special charm about it unlike anywhere else i've been. Vic the olympic rep was also a nice change as he knew a lot about Nidri. We would recommend anyone going to Nidri to pop onto the boat to Meganisi the small island a short ferry ride away only costing 2 euros and the sea at Spartahori is lovely! We had a great trip and would recommend this place to anyone!!"

• Travel date: 18th August 2009

great location

Reviewed 6th March 2013

"stayed here 1st week june, beach just opposite which we liked a lot. it has fantastic views and is so peaceful, shingle, but we prefer that. rooms basic, shower was a real pain, i think we had the best room there , top floor at the back in corner. had kettle in room,( just all you need really in my opinion.) wasnt full at the time and because all the balconies connect i can imagine it being a bit of a pain if theres kids running about! location is good, nidri very busy, although we kept being told that july & august get really busy there - so be warned ! this was a last minute booking and was very good value and i would go back ."

• Travel date: 12th August 2009

Great value hotel and resort. Excellent holiday.

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"This is an excellent hotel for the cost. With a lowly 2* star rating, we would not have booked but for the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. When we got there, we found that the hotel has a very good reputation in the resort and the reviews are accurate. The hotel is well looked after by the owner who does the ‘front of house’ by himself, efficiently and professionally. He runs a bar and has a bar snack menu which he cooks himself. So service-wise, there are times when he is busy or has to pop out but it wasn't a problem for us. The cleaners do the rooms every day, with a sheet/towel change half way through the week. The communal areas are immaculate: it has a small bar area and pool which is bigger than expected for a 16 room hotel, with plenty of sun beds/parasols. The rooms are of a decent size, with plenty of storage and a high standard for a 2*. But I should mention, the shower in the bathroom has a tray but no curtain. As has been mentioned previous reviews, this hotel unsuitable for genuine self caterers. Our room had 2 electrics rings, and assorted mismatched pots/pans, cutlery and crockery. We knew this beforehand, and were quite happy to use the local bakery and super market, a couple of minutes walk away, to get our provisions. All the rooms have decent sized balconies. We were in a room at the front facing the sea which had a good view, half the rooms though were at the back facing the mountains. Air con was 45 Euros, Safety deposit 15 Euros, very secure but in reception rather than in the room. The windows all have drawdown mosquito nets. There is no TV in the room but is in the bar downstairs. The island of Lefkada is a Greek Island but very near to the mainland. The transfer from the Airport is 45 minutes. The island has an ‘undiscovered’ feel about it, rustic Mediterranean. Very picturesque, with ferries available to the other islands. The public transport on the island runs on a limited timetable, so car hire is needed to explore. The hotel itself is in the town of Nidri which has a main road and a lively harbour front, with lots of restaurants and bars, some shops and bakeries. It is quite cheap considering it is in the Euro zone. The wine is certainly very cheap (5 Euros for a litre in the restaurants, 5 Euros for 3 litres in the shops). The restaurants are no more than UK prices even for the expensive ones. We went to the cheaper ‘Ionian’ restaurant a few nights, limited menu but great food: 2 starters, 2 mains and a litre of wine were less than 20 euros. The beach just over the road from the hotel, is shingle rather than sand (as it is for the whole of the resort), you can hire 2 sun beds and a parasol for 6 euros a day. There is nothing to stop you from laying your own beach gear down for nothing. My tip is though, is to invest in diving shoes as the sea floor is very sea weedy, though clean otherwise. This is a value for money type of holiday and I would definitely recommend this hotel and resort to other couples who want a relaxed holiday. The Olympic rep, Vic, (unusually for a rep) is a knowledgeable, middle-aged British ex-pat who looks after his holidaymakers well."

• Travel date: 3rd August 2009

Nice hotel, good position with great views of the islands and close to the beach

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"We returned from the Sands Hotel in Nidri on the 24th of July. The hotel is situated at the north end of Nidri across the road from a pebbly/sandy beach, if you are lucky enough to have a sea view then you can look out at a few of the islands dotted about in the bay. It’s a 10 minute stroll down to the harbor where the majority of shops, restaurants and café bars are. There are 2 supermarkets and a bakery nearby and a couple of fantastic restaurants so if you don’t fancy the walk into the centre you can stay close to the hotel. Our room was ok, Greek standard and all, we were never going to use the cooking facilities so the fact that we also didn't have many cooking utensils (like the previous reviewer) was not a problem. We did have a bottle opener which came in handy as the prices charged at the bar were not cheap. (But in the hotels defense prices were high all over) 3.80 Euros for a large beer that was only 3/4 full, 5 Euros for a Bailey's (that wasn't even Baileys!!) served in a small glass with 2-3 ice cubes etc. No wonder Laertis complained to my husband about it being quiet in the bar. His reply was 'Wake up mate, your guests are passing the bar and taking drinks bought at the supermarket upstairs to their rooms and drinking on their balconies it's a lot cheaper!!' (He did reduce the Bailey’s to 4 Euros the second week …) We did drink on our balcony but only before and after going out for the night, oh, and maybe when we got back from the beach!!!! (Well I did anyway, hubbie used to chew the fat with the other blokes at the bar with his 3/4 glass of Mythos!!) At the end of the day your on holiday, away from work and chilling out, the fact that it’s not 100% sometimes is slightly annoying but I would never let that spoil my holiday. I must admit that the second week of our holiday was a lot busier so I suppose it depends on the people who stay there and of course personal preferences. We too declined the BBQ which was indeed 18 Euros. ( No-one booked for our first week but the second week he put the BBQ on and there seemed to be plenty there) Again it's all about personal preferences. We didn't have any meals at the Sands and tended to eat at the Pinewood over the road where we had some excellent meals at lunch and at night time. We also had a few meals at Bolieki (? not sure if this is correct name!) where they served lamb, chicken and pork from the spit - great value for money and excellent service. On the plus side for the Sands, the rooms were kept clean, bedding and towels changed regularly. The pool was great and the jacuzzi also worked for our second week . (Is this sounding like we went at the wrong time!!!!?) We wouldn’t go back to the Sands or Nidri, not because we thought it wasn’t great it’s just that there are so many other Greek islands to visit. For those of you who are going to the Sands in the future, I’m sure you will have a happy holiday. You know it’s going to cost more because of the pound and don’t expect many bargains. But whatever the cost, you’ll be there and we will still be here dreaming about which island to go to next , we’ve visited all the larger islands and quite a few of the small ones …anyone been to Eos ?? !!!!"

• Travel date: 3rd August 2009

Lovely hotel on a beautiful island, can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"We returned from the Sands hotel last month and had a fabulous two weeks. The Sands is a lovely hotel, clean and comfortable, with much nicer rooms than other Greek hotels I've stayed in with a much better bathroom than usual. The owner Laertis is a lovely host, he works really hard but still manages to be cheerful and helpful at all times. I feel I must take issue with the previous reviewers comments. I presume they don't visit Greece much if they were expecting proper self-catering accommodation, I've never found any in Greece yet. We found the rings adequate (did they complain to Laertis that there's wern't working?) and the fridge was great. With regard to the barbecue we booked in for both weeks and wern't disappointed. If they refused to pay 18 euros for it how do they know whether it was good value or not? In fact there was loads of food, 3 courses and free drinks afterwards. We thought it was good value for money and a lovely way to spend an evening talking with fellow holidaymakers. The young boy they refer to would have been Laertis's son, presumably they didn't bother getting at all involved with Laertis or his family or they would have known that and wouldn't have referred to him just as a relative. With reference to the air con, we only needed it for the second week, and no it wasn't cheap, but the price was the price and if you use it you should pay for it. I would imagine that using it without the owners knowledge is tantamount to stealing, and considering the amount that Laertis probably receives from the holiday company it's probably one of the few ways he can make ends meet. We did lots of trips and thoroughly enjoyed them all, the secret Lefkas one with Carol was wonderful and we enjoyed Sunset and Stars. Like anything else on the med now they're not cheap but we were still very pleased with them. We also hired a car for two days and had a great time going round the island. Agremni beach was beautiful if you can cope with all the steps. We were really lucky to have Vic the Greek as our rep and benefitted greatly from his knowledge (and love) of the island. We had a fantastic holiday and would certainly return to Lefkas and to the lovely Sands hotel again. Mel and Matt Essex"

• Travel date: 29th July 2009

We will be back!!

Reviewed 27th July 2009

"We recently returned having had a wonderful week at The Sands. The accomadation was good and clean, ideally situated and Laertis the owner is a star. He is friendly, great to talk to and an altogether fantastic host who works so hard but still has time for you and to enjoy himself. The BBQ evening was great and well worth the 18 Euros. We had 2 18 year olds with us and they also thoroughly enjoyed the night.Laertis's Greek dancing was top draw - pity the bar broke!99% of the people staying there were so nice and friendly, many go back year after year. I think we could be doing the same. We loved Nidri and Lefkas. Most restaurants were great including Pinewood & El Greco and we took a taxi ride up to Dimitris in Paleokatouna, a little village in the hills with great views.Taxi costs 7 euros each way but it's so cheap up there it still works out costing probably less than it would down at the harbour. We went on a boat trip on the Odyseus which was great and a real day to remember and also had a go on the water sports which are situated on the beach literally across the road from the hotel. The only bad thing about the holiday was that we were only there for one week!! We feel we need to go back as there are places to go that we didn't manage in a week. Nidri is fairly busy with lots of restaurants and nice bars but it's not tacky. We have had some fantastic holidays in Greece but this would definately rank among the best. "

• Travel date: 23rd July 2009

Would not return or recommend to friends.

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"We have just returned from 2 weeks at the Sands, I had been really looking forward to this holiday and had high hopes, unfortunately I felt disappointed and would not return again. There are some very good points about the Sands, the location is good - roughly 7 minutes walk from the port of Nidri where all the shops etc are, across the road from a small beach (where you can hire boats for the day), the best resturant in Nidri - The Pinewood, and the sands has a good swimming pool. The ways we felt let down at Sands, well it wasn't self catering as you couldn't prepare much. There were 2 cooking rings, which the curtains rested on but that didn't matter as they didn't work. We had only wanted to heat up soup, or boil an egg - the egg was boiled in the kettle. We had 1 knife, this was for food preparation and between the 2 of us to eat with! The food that we had at the hotel was nothing to write home about, a breakfast with 2 sausages was merely 1 sausage cut in half (rounded sides up to look like 2), streaky bacon and a desert spoon of beans, not worth 5.5 Euro's, we had breakfast there once only! We did try again, and I had a meal late one afternoon - the chicken was so dry and salty (yes salty - when it was just cooked on a skewer) I believe it had been reheated from the previous day. The BBQ was 18 Euro's each, I refused to pay this amount per person for a BBQ. Instead in the 2nd week we found the Pinewood, a resturant across the road. This place was simply wonderful, the setting on the beach, and sophisticated not rush rush busy busy as in the port and other resturants, great choice of food beautifuuly cooked and nicely sized portions. The menu at the front did not give the prices and had put us off the first week - what a shame - it cost no more than the other returants, had much more to offer and even with a starter and main meal plus drinks still was less than the price of the BBQ at the Sands. I also watched one night as a young boy (relative of Leartus) - guessing 4years old helped Leartus behind the bar get drinks ready for customers, putting straws etc into drinks, a few moments earlier I had watched him picking his nose. There was a chage of 45 Euros per week to use the air conditioning and a charge for safe deposit boxes. We were able to get around the AC charge, as the front panel on the AC unit lifts and if you push the aux button (this is how the AC engineers test the units), you can have AC without cost - a saving of £90 for 2 weeks - as te Euro = thepound currently. We had asked for a quiet room, it was quiet once the last person had left the bar and it had closed for the night. Would we go again - NO. Would we recommend to friends - NO"

• Travel date: 19th July 2009

Hotels near Sands Hotel

Top traveller tips for Sands Hotel

• by Colin R

"rooms at side or back "

• by zesty

"The Pinewood, had to be the best place to eat in Nidri. TJ's for your english breakfast"

Sands Hotel is also called