Good

Lovely stay but strangely quiet

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"Just got back from a weeks stay in a superior studio (twin beds and a sofa bed - would easily take 3 people) and had a great time. The room was immaculate and the grounds were beautifully kept.

Our studio was situated at the rear of the resort away from the pool. However, there doesnt really seem to be a "bad" location as the resort is small, well laid out and entirely away from any main roads. Despite being July and the start of the school holidays, the place seemed very quiet and the pool rarely had more than a handful of guests sitting around it (see pics). Strange for somewhere which was nearly full, but I can only imagine that most of the guests went out or were down at the nearby Avithos beach to benefit from the constant cooling breeze and the two great tavernas/beach bar. Not that the hotel doesnt have an excellent pool bar. The lunch we had was very good and there is a wide selection of drinks (including alcoholic) available until midnight. Compared to the beach bar, the prices didnt seem too unreasonable. However, it was again sadly underused for some reason and often had noone sitting outside at night. Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that there is a nearby supermarket and the studios feature kichenettes so we tended to have a drink in our rooms/on the patio before heading out. That was, once we had bought a corkscrew, which was the only notable omission in the well stocked kitchen.

Our only other gripe would be the very uncomfortable beds. We were only provided initially with one pillow each which were like cardboard, although they did supply additional (equally uncomfortable) pillows on request. Neither of us got a full nights sleep in the whole week were there, although if you are used to hard matresses, you might fair better.

We had a car for the week that allowed us to explore some of the island, but we mainly used it for getting to the beach. I would recommend hiring one out there, perhaps for a few days, to make the jouney to the caves/Fiskardo. It is not really necessary for walking to the beach and there are plenty of good places to eat nearby (the hotel does not have a restaurant) which can be reached within a 10/15 minute walk.

All in all, a lovely smallish resort in a great rural location. It might be nice with a few more people about to give it atmosphere and make the most of the bar, but then again, I wasnt complaining when I had the huge pool to myself!"

• Travel date: Thu 31st of July 2008

If you're a naturist ......

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Resort was very clean, tidy and quiet, more "up market". Food basic but breakfast was poor and was12 euros if it hadn't been pre-booked in the UK. Transport is advisable but not essential. Book car thru hotel, approx £125 for 1 week. Lovely beach 1 mile away (Avithos Beach) with sunbeds and shades, bar and 2 excellent tavernas open for all meals. Beach also had a naturist section away from the main beach. Catch the ferry from Argostoli to Lixouri for a refreshing change from sunbathing. We found the best restaurants were at the North end of Argostoli where the locals eat. After dinner stroll along the shopping street, (good selection of shops, especially shoes, ladies)1 road back from the sea front and have an ice cream and coffee. We even experienced the earthquake!"

• Travel date: Wed 16th of July 2008

excellent resort

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"I have just come back from avithos resort in kefalonia, greece. firstly the resort is fantastic!!!!!!!...it is not a spralling resort, the accommodation is in little house like buildings. the one we stayed in has an upper split level which was our bedroom. the pool area is excellent lots of sun loungers and an excellent pool bar. the resort is not for young types looking for an exciting holiday, it is for a quiet relaxed holiday. there are no bars or clubs on the island, just tavernas, and in the capital argostoli there are lots of restaurants and shops, but no louts!!!!! you need to hire a car to explore the island and it will take your breath away!!!!!!!!! hiring a boat for a couple of days to explore the beaches that you cannot get to by road was something we will do next time. the weather was hot hot hot, so any later than june will be scorching!!!!!. i would recommend looking at kokolis.com to book. if you book with thomas cook you will be the rooms at the front by the road!!!!!!."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of July 2008

Great Value for Money, Clean and Comfortable

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"My girlfriend and I stayed at Avithos last year and Emilisse this year. The two are not comparable as one is nearly double the price of the other but the Avithos fairs well.

The rooms are large, very clean and comfortable.

The pool area is nice but with no views to speak of. The pool bar is decidedly average. Quite expensive with no cocktails/happy hour. The snacks are ok, but self catering is definitely the way to go.

Do not go to the local restaurant, everything seems to be fried. Take the car down to Avithos beach for lunch or dinner where both restaurants are exemplary, especially for the money.

Overall, for £70 a night it is definitely a good place to stay, much nicer than the sprawling Lassi or Skala. It is more family orientated around the pool so I recommend hiring a car!"

• Travel date: Sat 14th of June 2008

I stayed here late September 2006 and it...

Reviewed Thu 17th of April 2008

"I stayed here late September 2006 and it was lovely and quiet. The accomodation came with a hob, microwave, kettle etc in the kitchen and was enough to make a snack or breakfast. The apartment was spotless and cleaned every day by extremely helpful and friendly staff. There was a separate bathroom with shower which was adequate.

We paid extra to have the air conditioning on but it is in every apartment if you need it.

The staff were very friendly and could not do enough to help. We hired a car from Greekstones (very good prices) half way through the week which was great as the bus from Svoronata is only twice a day. I would recommend a car for the whole week.

The menu at the bar was not extensive but all very nice and often we would be given a free plate of fruit afterwards.

There was a small shop but it only stocked the very basic items. We walked approx 1km to the nearest mini market and restaurant (which was fantastic).

The beaches are further away than advertised in the holiday brochures so be prepared for a walk. It took us a least 30 minutes to reach any amenities and with small children in the heat it can be a bit tiring.

I would recommend the day trips as very good value especially if you decide against hiring a car as they get you around all the best bits of the island.

All in all a very nice break and we will definately return.

• Travel date: Thu 17th of April 2008

We flew from Heathrow with BMI and agent...

Reviewed Mon 10th of September 2007

"We flew from Heathrow with BMI and agent Exclusive Escapes, but booked directly with resort. Everything about Avithos has been written before and I agree with it all.

Having been to Kefallonia on numerous occasions but staying in Svoronata once before, I can strongly recommend it for a really chilled out holiday.

It rained - oh boy, did it rain - but that didn't spoil it - the lounge area has wonderfully comfortable leather armchairs and we just read and drank and relaxed.

We will definitely be going back, sooner rather than later!

• Travel date: Mon 10th of September 2007

Stayed for one week at the Avithos Resor...

Reviewed Wed 5th of September 2007

"Stayed for one week at the Avithos Resort on a self catering basis at the end of August. The complex itself was superb, clean, tidy, modern, and well run. The pool area was the best we have experienced in ten trips to the Greek islands.

Our apartment was on two levels with a very spacious and modern feel and there was plenty of room for everyone (two adults and two young children). Very close to the airport but had no intrusive aircraft noise, only consideration is that it is a very small quiet village with one supermarket and a handful of tavernas which were very reasonable.

If you are looking for a relaxing break in a quiet location then this is ideal. Car hire is available locally if you want to explore and there is a bus service to the larger towns but not sure how regular this is.

• Travel date: Wed 5th of September 2007

Fantastic

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"Returned for a wonderful week at the Avithos resort. We booked two superior studio's to accomodate a family of 5. We travelled by car with Minoan from Italy to Patras and then with Strintzis to Sami.
The resort is excellent. A lot of green; large swimming pool, friendly staff and about 15 minutes walk to the beach.
Much better than the crowdy Lassi area."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of July 2007

Fantastic

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"Just returned from a week at the Avithos Resort, party of 2 adults and 2 children aged 15 &16. The Avithos is a medium sized quiet and relaxing complex which is very well maintained, comprising of a clean swimming pool with quality sun-loungers, bar which served freshly made snacks (burgers, omellets etc) We stayed in a maisonette which was spotless and cleaned daily. The whole area of Avithos is quiet and unspoilt there are a handfull of good tavernas within walking distance 10-15 mins, we tried them all and would recomend them all too!
Would recomend hiring a car (we used greekstones in Avithos good prices, nice cars and very helpful staff) the whole island is beautiful Lassi has a great beach with loungers for hire and a good beach bar. Scala is worth a visit as is Antisamos. Dragati Caves are worth a visit. The underground lake was a bit of a disapointment the whole trip lasted about 10 mins and was quite pricey.
If you are after a relaxing holiday in a quiet location i would definitely recommend the Avithos Resort."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of July 2007

A very clean well managed resort

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Just returned from a week in Kefallania, staying at the Avithos Resort, and it was fanastic. Avithos is situated in a quiet area with
a few local restaurants and a supermarket. This staff work non stop tending to the gardens, cleaning the sunlongers, sweeping and just generally keeping the resort looking immaculate. The rooms are modern and bright. My only compliant here is that they could be a little more sound proof.

Would recommend to hire a car, as this way you get the most from the island. Avithos has a nice beach too, with a good beach hut selling good toasted sandwiches.

All in all, a very nice week, in a nice resort. Highly recommend Avithos."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of July 2007

The owner is an animal abuser

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"ANIMAL ABUSERS (THE AVITHOS RESORTS OWNER AND HIS STAFF)

We spent 6 nights at this hotel-resort. Unfortunately we have experienced one of the most horrific experiences one can live:

A resident of the hotel found somewhere at the island 2 newborn homeless puppies. The puppies were 1 or 2 days old with their eyes still closed. The person who found the puppies (he was from Britain) handed them to the hotel reception asking them to temporarily shelter the puppies (if not at the hotel, at a staff person’s home because many people fromthe staff are local and have their homes close by) till they are handed over to an animal shelter (we were told that there is one at the island).

We happened to notice this incident because at the time we were at the pool area and saw the Briton handing over the puppies to the staff and following that we saw the 2 members of the staff holding the box with the puppies.

After that we were left assured that the puppies will be taken care of. Around 21:30 at night we headed to a local taverna that is on the way to the beach and pretty close to the hotel. On our way we saw a member of the hotel's staff throwing the hotel's garbage at the garbage bin on the side of the road. Nothing strange crossed our mind and we passed by driving towards the taverna. After finishing our dinner (something like 1.5 hours later) we were returning through the same road we had taken before and were driving towards the hotel. I was driving very slowly because my daughter was asleep at the back seat and I had the window open because of the heat. Suddenly I heard some noise at the side of the road (sounded like crying). I stopped the car and I faced a horrifying scene:
The puppies were thrown at the garbage bin and were left to die slowly. The AVITHOS RESORT owner himself had instructed to throw the animals at the garbage bin and let them die. Unfortunately I managed to find only one of the 2 puppies. The 2nd one was probably below tons of garbage and as it was making no noise I could not locate it, nomatter how much I tried. Probably it was dead already. Immediately we understood that the person we saw before (on our way to the taverna) had thrown the puppies at the garbage following the AVITHOS resort ownerinstructions.

We collected the puppy, put it in a box and headed furiously to the hotel. There we saw 2 persons at the reception and asked them why they did what they did. At the beginning they acted as if the knew nothing. When we told them that we saw their employee doing what he was doing, they said that the owner does not like animals. We requested to talk immediately with the owner, who was somewhere at the pool area socializing with some guests. The reception employee informed him, but the owner claimed that he was busy with important issues and could not come. We insisted but the owner still was not showing up. Finally after an hour of waiting, we run onto the owner, and asked him for an explanation and for immediate action regarding the one puppy found alive.

I just cant find words to describe his behavior. This person is just an uncultivated local, a humiliating human being who thinks that by owning a local hotel he can rule the island. He told us that he does not accept animals in the hotel and since the Briton brought him, those puppies he ordered to have them thrown away. He said that he would do the same again and again and when I told him that I will report the incident to all the internet sites that I am aware of so that everyone knows what kind of person-hotel this is he claimed that he does not care and that this would be a great advertisement for his hotel.

Closing, what I would like to say, is that this hotel together with its owner are a disgrace for the Greek tourist industry. I am Greek and I hate having such persons destroy the image of our country. As long as all of us allow such idiots to pass their actions in an unpunished way, we will face more and more stupidity that often leads to disastrous results (just recall the CORFU incident that has so much hurt/shocked the British as well as the Greek tourist industry).

I(Attached is the photo of the one puppy found at the garbage bin)"

• Travel date: Sat 10th of March 2007

nice hotel, shame about the staff

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"we had a very nice room at Avithos Resort - well equiped on two levels, with a terrace. The hotel is not by the sea, but is set in a very green quiet area, with a large pool. Our main gripe was the service, or rather lack of it. When we arrived the porter left me to lug our cases up to our room, while he chatted to other guests. Things carried on from there. The multi-national staff varied between apathetic and unhelpful to enthusiastic and untrained. No-one seemed to actually be in charge - since it was August and they were full, you'd think they'd try a bit harder!"

• Travel date: Fri 27th of October 2006