Villa Costa

Scala Beach, Skala Greece

2007: A Greek Odyssey

"Ok so the title is a little contrived and we only stayed in one place, but it was definitely a journey, all but a gastronomic one!

The hotel is wonderful. It is rare that so much of what makes a good stay can be found in one location. The room was spacious and spotlessly clean, with servicing happening daily and without interrupting the peaceful atmosphere. It is conveniently located on the outskirts of Scala, so there is little noise, but still within an easy walking distance of the town. The grounds are fabulous and the pool a good size, with plenty of space to stretch out and relax. This family run hotel is intimate and creates a truly personal holiday experience, as a result of the hard work of all the staff.

The staff at the Hotel are rightly proud of what they have to offer so please don’t be suspicious of their claims that their food is the best, it is! We ate out three times in the two weeks we were there and didn’t find anything to compare. This is where the journey bit comes in. The menu is excellent with opportunities to try classic Greek and Mediterranean dishes, all of which are prepared with an eye for the best ingredients. There are also some dishes with a little twist. The rocket, strawberry and balsamic salad was very special. However what really caught my eye was the wine. I have never thought of Greece as being particularly renowned for wine, well now I know different. The range and complexity of the wines available was surprising to say the least. I for one will be searching some out from now on. Take time to engage Mario,(the owner), in conversation about what he has to offer, I promise you it is an education.

If you are thinking of going here book early so not to be disappointed. We met four couples in the two weeks who were returning visitors and I imagine that we will join their ranks in the next year or so. An excellent place to stay!"

• Travel date: Tue 28th of August 2007

The Perfect Honeymoon

Good

"We choose Villa Costa to celebrate our honeymoon. I'm so glad we did! The Hotel is spotless and perfectly positioned just opposite the beach, not that we left the poolside very often! The pool is lovely, and with so few guests its very private and relaxing.
Spiros, Mario and everyone else were very welcoming and helpful. Mama's cooking was beautiful (but I'd agree with the other review to watch the prices on the specials!).
Kefalonia is an amazing island, you should hire a car to see its true beauty.
It was the perfect place to spend our honeymoon and for anyone looking for a holiday where you're guarenteed luxury, friendliness, very high standards and relaxation, you must visit Villa Costa! I cant wait to go back!!"

• Travel date: Thu 16th of August 2007

Better than home from home

"What can I say that hasn’t already been said. If you want to be pampered to death in a beautiful location Villa Costa is the hotel for you. 6 rooms and a suite furnished and maintained to a very good quality standard and staff who will cater for your every whim. Mario and Mama Sophia who own the villa are always available, Spiro the Maitre d’ quickly learns to anticipate and fulfil your every need,- he seemed to know what I wanted before I did- and Manoli dispenses drinks with style and personality (not to mention good looks). The cleaning lady (whose name I have forgotten) rushes around keeping everything spotless.
The facilities are only used by residents so it is very private. There are always enough sunbeds and service is excellent. You get to know your fellow guests and we made some good friends.
The food is of a very high quality, cooked by Spiro’s Mama who will satisfy any requests as the food is all purchased fresh daily. Beware the portion sizes as she doesn’t understand ‘small’ or ‘less’.
Scala is less than a 10 min walk with plenty of bars and restaurants and although not quite as high quality (reflected in the price) we never had a bad meal.
Veronica the Concierge is very friendly and arranged a car for us delivered to and collected from the Villa.

The only notes of caution are:
You will eat too much!
You will not want to leave!
Serious note- if you eat and drink in be prepared for a shock when the bill comes at the end. The specials are very expensive (some £60+) and prices are not published (or talked about if they can avoid it,) also premium drinks only are served at the bar.

PS they now have a book exchange in response to our suggestion."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of July 2007

Fantastic!

Good

"We stayed at Villa Costa back last July, 2 weeks of glorious weather, great food and superb service. The staff can't do enough for you, although Spiros who looks after you will continually try to push you into staying in the hotel to eat saying that local food is not as good as the hotel (and in some respects he was right).

Apart from Spiros being a little pushy, the rest of the staff and owner are fantastic, Mario (owner) was helpful, he's quiet and keeps himself to himself for a lot of the time, but you see him regularly and will chat with you as you get to know him more.

Overall the hotel complex was in excellent condition, the bar area was relaxing and the view onto the water is just superb. The pool was a little small but welcoming from the heat of the mid-day.

If you are there for 2 weeks I would recommend getting a jeep and exploring, we took the deal through the hotel with flintstone cars they where really good and cheap (about £125 for 3 days). Fueling the car isn't a problem (I always worry about this), the gas station just outside Skala will fill it for you.

Food in the area can be hit and miss, we had a couple of great meals (don't forget most restaurants are smoking, so be prepared for the locals to spark up while you're eating), but we also had 2 that where average.

The locals are very friendly and night walks are no problem although limited as for what you see.

Beach is stony, jellies are recommended, water is clean and watersports are great to watch as they fly back and forth on rings and bananas.

If you explore and decide to go to Fiskardo, go up the east side of the island, it's a lot quicker and you can stop off at Sami on the way, which is a nice place to visit. Also in the area is the lovely beach that they filmed Captain Correlli's Mandolin (Anti Sami, where they italians had a base)."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of July 2007

Beautiful hotel and suroundings, wonderful food and warm hospitality

Good

"This beautiful hotel and gardens, wonderful food and warm hospitality will envelop you during your stay. All 7 rooms are individually designed to a very high standard and are very restful whilst also providing LCD television, satellite tv and DVD player. The rooms are kept spotlessly clean with a linen and towel change daily with the bins emptied twice daily, the cleaning is unobtrusive and to a very high standard. The food is excellent and is cooked by "mama" we only chose to eat out one night and the meal we had didn't compare to the food at Villa Costa, it's definately worth eating out in Skala though to base a comparison. The sun terrace and pool are excellent also for relaxing the day away. I think for us the people at Villa Costa really made our stay. Spiros really looked after us, Spiros' Mama (Katerina) really excelled with the wonderful food, Marios the owner was great company and provided many vodka tasting sessions! Natasha keeps the room spotlessly clean and we certainly couldn't forget Nicos the bartender who kept us well hydrated and entertained.

Overall this is a wonderful place with a high attention to detail. You will make many new friends and like us be very sad to leave. Kefalonia is stunning and we would recommend hiring a vehicle to explore this beautiful island. We hired a Suzuki Jimny jeep from Litsos in Skala for 150 Euros for four days. Well worth it!

It is also worth mentioning that this hotel is exclusive to Sovereign in the UK. Veronica the concierge was lovely and very helpful, will definately be booking with Sovereign again.

We are returning to Villa Costa in September.

Mr and Mrs Croft, Yorkshire."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of June 2007

Idyllic Perfection

"This is true perfection! An opportunity to sample Greece at its best with delicious individually prepared food, hands on waiter service, where nothing is too much trouble, fabulous pool for cooling off in and clean beach towels everyday. The rooms are beautiful and live up to their descriptions. The location is great, close to the centre of Scala but far away enough not to be disturbed by the music. The Saturday night BBQ was excellent and was a great opportunity to get to meet fellow guests. We have made fabulous friends during our stay who will remain friends forever. I would recommend hiring a car to see the island as the coach tours really only give you a snippet of what Cephalonia has to offer."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of November 2006

So relaxing

Good

"This was our first visit to Greece and we were both a little twitchy about the food and wine, we needn't have had any worries, the food and wine at Villa Costa are stunning, the food is cooked to order using only the freshest ingredients. The Hotel is delightful, spotlessly clean, fresh sheets and towels every day. The setting is perfect, well cared for gardens and when you step out of the gates you look at the beautiful Ionian Sea. I could be picky about a couple of things, but it wouldn't be fair - it was a wonderful relaxing week, being cared for by Spyros (his mother does the cooking!) who gave us personal attention, Mario the owner who was always on hand to pour you a drink or just have a chat, and the rest of the staff who looked after us so well. We will definately return."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of October 2006

Villa Costa Pampered Privacy

"If you want a small family run hotel that is very exclusive and private then Villa Costa is it. But it is more! The hotel is boutique style and everything is pure luxury. There are only 7 rooms and each is unique and beautifully designed. You can chose the one you want. You need to look at their website as words cannot describe this lovely hotel. The pool, gardens, the villa itself are immaculate and beautiful.

My husband and I love good food and wine and often compromise when we go on holiday, The food here was exquiste and cooked to perfection. The hotel is bed and breakfast only, with an option to dine for lunch and dinner. The food was cooked by a 64 year old Geek Mama who is a qualified chef and she cooked traditional Greek ciusine as well as more cosmolpitan fayre. We never left the hotel to dine as the food was so good. The wine list was excellent and very different from some of our other experiences of holiday wine. This was top quality Greek wine - the sort that you can't get back in England. Skala is a quiet and unspoilt town with a fantastic beach but to be honest we didn't venture out into the town much as we felt so cossetted at Villa Costa.

The hotel is owned and managed by a young Greek man and his mother and they have very high standards. The hospitalty manager Spiros (son of the chef) was a delight and was passionate about ensuring we had a good time. If I have to look for a negative it would only be that we sometimes had to select our evening meal in advance as being such a small hotel to ensure fresh, top qualty produce they could not afford to order in too much. Can't wait to go back!"

• Travel date: Sun 6th of August 2006

made to feel very special

"I visited the Villa Costa in July for one week, and could have stayed much longer. This hotel made me very special, The owners Marios and Sophia along with Spiros and Catherine. , cannot do enough for you. The rooms (there are only six) are individually furnished and decorated., The food which is cooked fresh is wonderful ,by far the best I have had on a holiday, (and I have stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels).

Villa Costa is a 10 minute walk from Scala, which has bars and tavernas and a few shops, that is if you can drag yourself away from the hotel. In the words of Spiros "you can try and you will see". I will be returning."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of July 2006

Villa Costa

"We have had the good fortune to stay in many 4 and 5 star hotels around the world and this small family run "boutique" hotel is definately amongst the best, and no doubt the best hotel in Kefalonia.

It was the attention to detail that impressed us! On arrival we were welcomed with a bottle of welcome wine (and obligatory fruit bowl) luxury robes and slippers.

The rooms are all superbly furnished and come with satellite TV and a DVD player (although at present they do not have a library - so bring your own) Each room is individually decorated and as there are only 7 rooms you really are treated to first class service. The garden, public areas, pool and restaurant/bar area don't disappoint either.

The hotel is run by Sophia and her son Mario who along with Spiros are all at hand during the day to help you. Spiros' "mama" does all of the cooking and I really cannot fault any of the meals that we had. We stayed for a week (in July 2005) and ate out half of the time although "mama's" cooking was the best on the island. Try the prawn saganaki, sea bream or the pasta wth the homemade pesto sauce, and for dessert there is the homemade Almond or Apple cake.

We loved staying here and as such will probably return in the future. We really felt welcomed and actually didn't feel that inclined to venture out to explore the island.

The hotel is opposite the beach (Skala) which (although is mostly shingle) is fantastic in that its clean and the water is clear, it also seem to attract quite a few local's so I suppose that's a good sign!

You can only book this hotel through Sovereign holidays in the UK, and although it's more expensive than the average week away in Greece it really is fantastic.

If you like luxury, fantastic service and fabulous food and wine then the Villa Costa is for you.

Sheena and Stephen,"

• Travel date: Sun 24th of July 2005

I was searching through the site for upd...

"I was searching through the site for updates on hotels and was surprised that nobody has commented on the Villa Costa.

My husband and I spent one of our best holidays here last year. Not ever being to Greece before we were not sure what to expect.

This boutique hotel is first class in everything, when we arrived we were met by Spiros, the manager who took us to our room, which was decorated and furnished to a very high standard with everything you need. There are only 7 rooms and they are all excellent.

The Owner Marios and his Mother (who tends the beautiful gardens) are always on hand to make sure you have everything you need. Catherine who is Spiros mother, cooks everything fresh to order. You order what you would like from the Menu which has an excellent choice.

I have been lucky enough to have spent time in many 4 and 5 star hotels, and the food and the way it was presented here is the best I have seen anywhere. My husband wanted a particular fish one evening, Marios drove into the capital to buy it, and then Catherine cooked it.

The hotel is set opposite Skala beach, and about a ten minute walk from the town centre, that’s if you feel like leaving.

I came home feeling very special and spoilt, and will return."

• Travel date: Sat 26th of May 2007

Hotels near Villa Costa

Stayed at Villa Costa? Share your insight.

Villa Costa is also called