Nirithes Studios and Apartments

Scala, Skala Greece

Narithines Appartments

"My wife and I had a wonderful holiday in Skala we ate in fourteen different restaurants and never had a bad meal.
Napoleon and family of Nirithes made us very welcome this was our first visit to Kefalonia and most certainly will not be our last we would choose to stay at Nirithes apartments again as it a great base for exploring the island."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of July 2009

great holiday

"Had a fantastic holiday here, neopolian was a great host and his mother was lovely. They were so helpful and welcoming if you had a problem they would sort it out for you.

The cleaners are like any cleaners will do the bare minimum unless they have to, but it was not too much of a problem.

loved skala, hired a car through first choice which was great went all around the island had a fantastic holiday the only down side was i did not realise i was scared of heights until i got there"

• Travel date: Thu 18th of June 2009

Loved it here! The apartment was very s...

"Loved it here! The apartment was very spacious and clean the maids came every day and once even left a fresh rose on the table which was a lovely touch. Napoleon has got to be the most helpful and friendly apartments manager I have ever come across he definitely goes out of his way to make your stay the best possible. Yes, the bar does stay open as long as there are customers, but as there is air conditioning in your room you can close the windows and greatly reduce the noise. Air con costs 7 euros per day which I thought very reasonable and definitely worth paying for. The one and only downside to staying here is the hill. It's a killer! But you can get a taxi at the kiosk by the church for about 5 euros. Skala itself is great. No drunken yobs, no beggars and nobody trying to sell you stuff when you're trying to eat! There are many restaurants and tavernas I highly recommend The Flamingo, they do a fantastic Greek meze and the Baklava and ice-cream is to die for! It's an ideal place to stay for families and couples. If you're single and looking to party hard then Skala is not the place for you. I will most definitely be returning."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of June 2008

If you are young and fit, Nirithes (at...

Good

"If you are young and fit, Nirithes (at the top of a steep climb from the town) is great. If you're "getting on" it's still a nice place to stay but you need to hire a car for the holiday. There are many steps within Nirithes also. The 1-bed Apartments are spacious, and very acceptable. we looked in at one or two studios and they seem quite roomy too. The bar, which we thought might close around midnight unfortunately stays open until the last person staggers out. If you are in Room 207 the bedroom window overlooks the "alleyway" from the bar to the detached block on the right hand side of the complex. We were there and that's not the room to choose ! Pool is lovely, plenty of loungers & parasols and bar comes in handy for snacks/drinks during the day. A guy called Napoleon seems to be in charge and he is always helpful - full marks to him. Scala has some great restaurants and a superb long beach with many "Sets" (Loungers/Sunshades) "

• Travel date: Fri 6th of June 2008

Just returned from a lovely holiday in S...

"Just returned from a lovely holiday in Skala, a perfect place to stay on the Island of Kefalonia.

It was our first visit to a Greek Island and we will definitely be trying others.

We stayed at Nirithes, the apartments were very spacious but the cleaning was definitely sub-standard, in fact I don't think they had been properly cleaned since the beginning of the season.

However, we did not let this spoil our holiday, in fact the pool area seemed perfectly clean.

Although Nirithes is situated slightly uphill and out of the village, we found this no problem at all.

We would recommend doing the Island tour and the tour of neighbouring Island of Ithaka. We did this with Panem, a company in the main street, being cheaper that First Choice. Our driver Dometrice(excuse spelling) and guide Jackie were excellent.

Loved trying the different restaurants in Skala, we did not have a bad meal, but our favourite was down a side street called Apostolis."

• Travel date: Sun 30th of September 2007

Accommodation is basic, but perhaps that...

Good

"Accommodation is basic, but perhaps that's no great surprise, and typical of Greece. My wife was particularly annoyed that the room didn't get much more than a sweep everyday, and was only washed when we were checking out. The shower room in particular needed better attention and smelled a bit.

Not sure what this huge cost was for aircon, mentioned on a previous review. We were charged 7 Euros a night. Not brilliant, but it was 45C during the day and necessary. We took an extra loo roll (after reading all the loo roll complaints) but didn't need it, we didn't use enough :-) Anyway, there are supermarkets in Skala village if need be (three of them at least).

We stayed during the worst forest/brush fires that Greece has experienced for many years, and were evacuated from Nirithes as the fire descended on the village of Skala (FirstChoice were actually nowhere to be seen, and we escaped on the coach of another travel company). The owner (the infamous Napoleon) was extremely helpful and sensible during a really scary time, and also when we returned back to Nirithes a couple of days later. They got the place up and running as fast as they could.

I think the hill has been mentioned already. For those who don't mind a walk, it won't be a problem, but for those with disabilities or laziness, it might. The apartments also have a pool and bar. The bar food is fine, and perfectly adequate. Pool rules aren't onerous, so the kids can have fun. Keep an eye out for the various resident cats as well.

Recommendations for eating in Skala are The Village, and Galera (particularly the latter). Galera is located off the main street, but is easy to find if you keen an eye out for the signs. We didn't get such great service in The Pines (and the partner restaurant on the beach), nor a couple of other restaurants (sorry, I've forgotten the names already!).

Snorkelling was disappointing. There were a few fish, but for the most part the sea was a bit of a wasteland.

We went on the Beach BBQ with First Choice, which was a lot of fun, and highly recommended for everyone but the shy. We also went on the Island Tour, but used Etam, a travel agency in the village itself (cheaper than First Choice, as First Choice's version was cancelled because of the fires). The trip was excellent, and packed full of information about the island during the boring coach-driving part between destinations."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of July 2007

Second visit to the Nirithes Apartments...

"Second visit to the Nirithes Apartments and both times we were made to feel really welcome. Napoleon and Dina were the perfect hosts and enjoyable company. The pool was never over crowded and you did not have to fight for a sunbed. Yes it is quite a hike from the town but being set on the hill it does get the benefit of a light breeze when things get too hot elsewhere. The island can only be described as a peaceful paradise and we are back there again next year. If you want bright lights and loud music go somewhere else. Most of the roads are quiet, if at times a bit uneven I would recommend hiring a 4x4 and go up into the mountains. We spent a day up there and saw three other vehicles all day, the views are just out of this world and from a mile high you appreciate just how clear the sea is."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of September 2006

We had a wonderful time at the Nirithes....

Good

"We had a wonderful time at the Nirithes. It was very clean and the owner Napoleon made us feel welcome.

The room was basic but we were happy with it. Set on the outskirts of the village, it was a short-ish walk into the centre with its tavernas and shops. I would like to recommend the walk into 'Old Skala' which wouldn’t be suitable for people with walking disabilities or very young children. You can buy two guides in the village, one about the History and the devastation of the earthquake, and one with the guided walk. Even our two teenagers enjoyed it ! I think on our return, we would hire a car. The driving is the best I've seen on any Greek Island.

There are loads of places to visit and we went on an island discovery trip. Excellent value and you get to see loads, even though you sometimes felt you wanted longer at certain places. Ithaka is a great day out too. The kids loved jumping off the boat and the captain had us laughing all day. Would certainly go back to the Nirithes and Skala."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of September 2006

I’m Only 15..Me & My Family have just...

Good

"I’m Only 15..Me & My Family have just returned from a two week holiday at the Nirithes Apartments from the 4thjuly/22nd .I wouldn’t say it was very nice from the outside as there was some unfinished business outside of the hotel(",).

I was shocked about the toilet roll as they only gave it you every time they changed the sheets and wouldn’t provide us with more after my dad asked for it.
The Aircon...The aircon was dear about £135 English Money

The rooms were very very basic but what do you expect for a 3star hotel. The maids were very quick and didn’t really do a good job of it and they should knock before they enter instead of just opening the door SO BEWARE!

The pool was really nice and there was always sunbeds no matter how late you go down, I wouldn’t advice you to tell Napoleon to put the Jacuzzi on as some green stuff came out.

THEHILL! The Hill wasn’t very nice after eating a meal in the evening or carrying bottles of water up to the apartments in the day as it about kills you=) There was goats at the bottom of the hill which scared me a bit as they wasn’t only tied to a branch.

The Street which me and my cousin called it, it was really nice there were so many bars and restaurants we didn’t eat in them all as we picked out favourites.
I also recommend Scandinavia as that had a disco every night at 11 till late so that was mental. On a Wednesday night at the Sirocco bar was a karaoke night which is just a laugh we went there both Wednesday’s and really enjoyed it as our family hogged the microphone. The Noufaro Bar & Sally's is where me and my family went every evening they was very very nice people and my family enjoyed sitting there and chilling:).

All together I would give Skala 10/10 as it was really nice and I loved it.
So Go and Enjoy yourself x:)x

• Travel date: Thu 27th of July 2006

I’m only 15..Me and the rest of my fam...

Good

"I’m only 15..Me and the rest of my family came to Nirithes on 4 July, It was really nice, but the food at the bar wasn’t.

My uncle asked for more toilet roll and to everyone’s surprise Napoleon announced that its a self catering holiday, we only wanted loo roll. The rooms were really nice but they could have been a little bit cleaner and the maids could do with knocking before they barge in on you... Down that massive hill there’s lots of bars and restaurants. On Wednesday nights at the Siroco Bar they held a Karaoke Night which was really fun. The Noufaro Bar is where my family sat and drank every night, it was a relaxed friendly atmosphere.

I would also recommend Scandinavia for a good night out because they had the disco on every night which was cool :) As I’m 15 I missed my friends a lot so the internet cafe was useful, its 3 euros for half an hour (I spent about 9 euros a night on it) after a big meal coming back up that hill late at night was hard, but not that hard. I suppose if you’re really old it might become a problem or if you have buggies and small children.

On the way back up the hill one night we saw a big group of dogs and that scared us all a bit, there were also a lot of cats, kittens and goats around. All in all Kefalonia is probably one of the best holidays I’ve had :D give it a shot you might like it :) x"

• Travel date: Wed 19th of July 2006

We booked last minute and our accommodat...

Good

"We booked last minute and our accommodation was allocated on arrival. The representative at the airport spoke highly of the apartments when allocated to us. When we arrived at the apartments, we had a little shock as the top of the apartments were not finished. But this was only part of the extension plans, and did not interfere whatsoever with our apartment or holiday.

Yes. The apartment was very clean and more spacious than expected. With a little one of 2 years of age, the pool area was superb, clean with plenty of sunbeds and parasols available. Snacks were ok, but drinks were overpriced.

The only criticism was the BBQ that was organised by Napoleon. Most expensive meal we had on the island, and we wouldn’t have fed the meat to our dogs! Just enjoy the lovely restaurants in Skala.

The hill was steep on the return leg from Skala, but as with most people, we hired a car for a couple of days, so it did not bother us at all."

• Travel date: Wed 12th of July 2006

Just returned from the Nirithes after a...

"Just returned from the Nirithes after a two week stay. Lovely apartments, spacious and clean. First Choice brochure does not, however, mention the hill up to the property which is a bit of a killer after an evening out.

The pool is in a very pretty setting, surrounded by Oleander bushes, and the Napoleon, the owner serves good snacks at the pool bar. Air conditioning is available for 7 euros a night, and we really needed it, as temperatures were in the high 90s for the whole holiday.

Would recommend this fairly basic accommodation as a value for money holiday."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of July 2006

Hotels near Nirithes Studios and Apartments

Stayed at Nirithes Studios and Apartments? Share your insight.