Asteris Hotel

Skala 28086 Greece

Dissapointed !

Reviewed Wed 15th of June 2011

"Very nice hotel in the middle of nowhere. Must hire a car. Apartments good size and very clean. Breakfast extremely boring cheese and ham toasties and 2 slices of toast with cake every day !!!! one day we only got 1 slice of toast (slight variation) Would prefer to stay in place with a bit of life although not noisy. Will not come back."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of June 2011

Traveling "allocated on arrival" to Kefa...

Reviewed Wed 16th of August 2006

"Traveling "allocated on arrival" to Kefalonia, Skala was what we hoped for, and luckily got - nothing in the next 2 weeks changed that opinion.

However the high became a low as we realised how far the Asteris is away from the resort (4 km and up an incline). There is no courtesy bus, so a taxi or rental car is necessary. This is the only downside, as the small complex of 30 or so apartments is spaciously laid out, and the apartments themselves are high-grade, well-finished and furnished, and impeccably clean. As the whole complex was built within the last couple of years, there is no hint of dilapidation anywhere; the pool is cleaned twice daily and the gardens are kept very well tended. The open-plan reception / bar / TV / recreation area is welcoming, as are the staff. Again the large plasma TV and pool table are of the highest standard.

We hired a car for 8 of the 14 days, so ate out a lot, but the al fresco restaurant at Asteris deserves to be well-frequented, as the chef's evening meals are as good as any we found in Skala.

Basically, if you are hiring a car anyway, and accept that the resort centre is beyond walking distance, the Asteris apartments are ideal, and of course Kefalonia (our first visit) is beautiful and a must if you haven't been there."

• Travel date: Wed 16th of August 2006

We have just come back (yesterday 20/08/...

Reviewed Mon 21st of August 2006

"We have just come back (yesterday 20/08/06) We didn’t want to come home, we received a very warm welcome from the owner who is always on hand, the apartments were the best we have ever stayed in, the air conditioning was a god send!

They were spotlessly clean with fresh towels and loo rolls every day! Mary and Jean who run the bar are great, they know all the best places on the Island that are worth a visit, especially old Skala, which was destroyed by the earth quake in 1953, Jean has written an in depth guide for this, the food was traditional Greek, (the chef's special is a must!!!) and much better than some of the restaurants in skala, we will definitely be going back!!!

• Travel date: Mon 21st of August 2006

This was our third holiday to Skala beca...

Reviewed Sun 19th of March 2006

"This was our third holiday to Skala because my boyfriend and I absolutely love it there! The Asteris is a really pretty hotel on a cliff with stunning views of Skala's beach. You can relax by the pool while taking in the view of the gorgeous coastline!

The rooms themselves were very big with a separate bath (very rare for Greece) although we only used the bath once or twice because a shower was more soothing on pink areas!! You have air conditioning as standard which is great, because we learnt our lesson after the first year so we would never choose an apartment without it, it's so hot!! It's really nice to have satellite TV as well because my boyfriend gets bored easily waiting for me to get ready in the evening!

You can also catch up with all the goings on in Britain (if you want to that is!!) We were there during the awful events of the 7/7 bombings so it was useful to have the TV so we could see what was happening. There was a nice big balcony although ours was ground floor so we didn't have a great view, but I'm sure that most of the top-floor rooms would have done (request this with your travel agent if you are thinking of going!).

The only downside of the hotel was the location. It takes over an hour to walk into the main resort centre where all the shops, restaurants and bars are. We did it once and it was quite dangerous as there is no footpath so you have to walk in the road. It is also very hot and I got a blister! We hired a car which made things much easier but it is quite difficult to park by the beach, and in the evenings we would have to get taxis which could be a bit scary! Some of them have no seatbelts, but they are quite reasonably priced and it would cost 5 euros to get from the hotel to the resort centre.

In the end with car hire and taxi's I think it all added up and we spent more than usually would have. I would definitely recommend car hire (Greekstone's in Skala is the best!) This is an ideal location for people who prefer the pool to the beach and like to eat at the hotel. The hotel does have it's own shop and regular entertainment (and a BBQ night!) and good food, and when the pool is all lit up at night it looks lovely.

We would have a drink there before we went out for dinner and the lovely English lady who works there would order a cab for us. One more thing...you must try a Skala sunset cocktail at the hotel bar - delicious!"

• Travel date: Sun 19th of March 2006

This was such an amazing holiday! Enjoye...

Reviewed Tue 28th of February 2006

"This was such an amazing holiday! Enjoyed by all the family. The accommodation was clean and tidy; the beds were comfortable and the bedding and towels changed daily.

I found all the staff friendly; they even helped us out with the odd Greek word so that we could learn something about the language. The pool was well maintained. The reception area was comfortable; it helped having the television! The accommodation was well situated, with lots of excellent near by restaurants.

On one of the days of our holiday we went on a glass bottom boat cruise which was reasonably priced and well organized. We recommend you try it out! So all in all it was a very happy holiday! We are returning again this year on the 10th July!"

• Travel date: Tue 28th of February 2006

An excellent all-round holiday! The apar...

Reviewed Sun 8th of January 2006

"An excellent all-round holiday! The apartments were spacious, clean and quiet, the best self-catering apartments I have ever stayed in!

The walk into Skala takes 40 minutes (at pace) but has beautiful views and is well worth it, you can build up an appetite on the way down, and get a taxi back to the apartments! Although the walk is all down-hill, I wouldn't recommend it to less mobile people, or those with small children.

I would recommend hiring a car as Kefalonia has some beautiful beaches waiting to be discovered, we will definitely return next year."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of January 2006

Asteris Apartments are very new, and out...

Reviewed Tue 31st of August 2004

"Asteris Apartments are very new, and out of the main resort of Skala in New Skala on the road to Poros. The brochure photographs barely do them justice, it is a beautiful setting overlooking the bay with a lovely clean pool and elegant accommodations.

Although a 5 Euro cab fare from the resort, this can often be shared with fellow guests and is very convenient - braver souls walk! Set against dramatic hillsides, especially so in thunderstorms, at night all I could hear from the balcony was the sound of crickets and goat bells. From our balcony we had a panoramic view of the bay and of Zante in the distance.

I was worried about being able to get a few basic supplies on arrival, but there is a small on-site shop and a snack bar selling a reasonable selection light meals during the day. The kitchen facilities in our apartment were to a very good standard for our own cooking arrangements.

We tried the little restaurant next door, Komitas, and although it seemed fairly deserted this was more due to their opening late in the season than to any failings of the food. The chef cooked everything fresh to order, including an excellent portion of chips! (Note, not French fries as served everywhere else).

There were a couple of tiny coves nearby for gentle snorkelling, but I was glad I’d invested in swimming shoes as the pebble beach was a bit challenging.

Other guests hired cars to go exploring and nobody seemed to have any difficulty with driving in Kefalonia so long as they took it steady. We took a couple of coach trips to the main sites (Melissani Lake, Drogarati Caves etc.) and particularly enjoyed the glass-bottomed boat trip with beach barbecue, the vegetarian catering was excellent.

All in all we can’t wait to return."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of August 2004

Asteris apartments had the most beautifu...

Reviewed Tue 31st of August 2004

"Asteris apartments had the most beautifully outlook of anywhere I have stayed in Greece.

The apartments were lovely and the whole complex was a joy to stay at. We hired a car for three days and saw most parts, including driving to the highest point on the island up what seemed to be little more than goat tracks, in a Hyundai Atoz!

The car survived unharmed, as did we. A superb holiday on a beautiful island."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of August 2004

I would give these apartments 10/10 for...

Reviewed Sat 30th of April 2005

"I would give these apartments 10/10 for their self-catering facilities and 10/10 for the complex itself and the staff. The apartment we had was very clean, well laid out and large for the money we paid. The facilities were all in good order and our balcony had fantastic views over Skala and the Mediterranean Sea.

The staff in the hotel were very friendly especially the two lovely English ladies, Mary and Jean, who work in the pool bar.

The apartments themselves are located around 1.5 km from Skala town, however a 20 minute walk or a 5 euro taxi ride and you can be in the centre of Skala where there are many reasonably priced taverna’s and café’s to choose from.

Skala beach is very clean and has pretty bays to the right where the rocks are.

I would, however, recommend hiring a car if you want to explore as the cave in Melisanni and Andisamos beach are not to be missed."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of April 2005

We stayed at the Asteris apartments in J...

Reviewed Tue 31st of May 2005

"We stayed at the Asteris apartments in June of this year and I can honestly say it was one - if not the best holiday I have ever had!

I admit at first I was worried that because it is so far away from the main town that I would not like that but it was so easy just to get the staff to telephone for a taxi either day or night whenever you wanted it and for 5 euro it was cheap too. Although you must book it coming back if late at night as all taxis stop running at 12.30am and it’s a long, dark walk back!!!!

It had stunning views, was exceptionally clean and the staff were very helpful and friendly. I would highly recommend the "beach BBQ trip" which was hilarious and a wonderful day with "Whacky Maki" the captain. I cannot fault this accommodation in the slight list and I look forward to returning next year!!!

• Travel date: Tue 31st of May 2005

Hotels near Asteris Hotel

Stayed at Asteris Hotel? Share your insight.

Asteris Hotel is also called