Hotel/Staff/Location

Reviewed Thu 27th of October 2011

"I have just read the last review and was absolutely astonished, I have just spent two weeks at this hotel and it was amazing. It was clean friendly and very very well run. On our arrival we had welcome drinks offered us in the reception, and after booking in our bags were taken and we were escorted to a little golf buggy and chauffered to our room, where our bags were put in our room, and there was no hanging around by the porter to be tipped or anything, If you require time away from the rat race this is the place to be, yes it is off the beaten track but who cares you are on your holiday!! The staff were over and above polite, generous and friendly and couldnt do enough for you. The setting on the coast, with the little rocky cove at the bottom of the hill was exquisite, the sun setting and sunrise were something to be seen believe me and I was in awe. The food was gorgeous, the drinks flowed and not once were we made to feel like the last reviewer described, infact I had to scroll back up to see I was reading the right hotel!! There was a wasp problem I agree but that was all over Kefalonia not just at the Mare Blue. As it was nearly time for the end of their season the entertainment was not much but it was still entertainment and we had a good singalong and smooch all the same. The conference room was opened as a free cinema in the evenings too.We witnessed an amazing thunderstorm while there and Iv never heard thunder so loud in all my life but the lightning and twisters were amazing to watch. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel if you are heading to Kefalonia what I would say though is if you are not totally able bodied be aware there are lot of steps and hills in the complex so you need to be quite fit. I would just like to thank all the staff and management for an amazing holiday and keep up the customer service you provide its second to none."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of October 2011

A week is enough....

Reviewed Mon 10th of January 2011

"Hotel is about 3m from Scala & 5m from Poros. Bus was every hour. Stayed in main hotel. Room was average size, ensuite was a good size, and both were always clean. Small niggles: only 2 small bottles of water per day provided in room fridge (having stayed in Rome half board, where we had a fridge full of fizzy drinks, OJ, and water every day, this is poor for All Inclusive!). Air con was VERY noisy even on low, but we couldn't sleep without it as it was hot & stuffy at night. The handy shutters kept the room from baking during the day and dark when the bright dawn sun surfaced.

Staff were smart, polite & helpful - we arrived late to check-in due to our hired car turning up over an hour late, and hotel staff had thoughtfully left food waiting for us (although it had been saved from leftovers at dinner that evening, so was slim pickings & not very appetising).

Food was 'ok', and very little in the way of traditional Greek food. Packed lunches were scant and disappointing - consisted of a piece of dry ham betwixt 2 dry pieces of very dry bread, a giant tomato and a bottle of water in a cardboard box! (We bought lunch when we went out after that.) They also ran out of food one evening (we were all told abruptly - 'there is no more', no apology or anything), and all the desserts were eaten by the kids, who were taking double/triple helpings, because they didn't like the meal choices that evening. Half the time, hot food was rather over-cooked.

There was little to do by way of activities at the hotel. esp during the evening (except a pub quiz one night!), so it meant a trip into Scala for a full evening instead. No traditional Greek nights either, which was disappointing. The lift went faulty a few times (only because kids abused it), & 2 kids were trapped in at one point, creating BIG unecessary drama (- wholly from one screaming mother who failed to take any responsibility for her child messing with the lifts - although the lift was only on the ground floor, and only goes up 2 storeys above anyway). Staff were right on it, & hammered a chisel into the doors to finally open them (the polished metal doors bore some serious scatches because of that). The drama lasted about 15 mins - well done to staff for keeping a cool head amid the chaos created by those clients though!

I found the pool area ok, although took a sometimes tiring downward trek to get there (and an upward one back to hotel again!). It was a little shabby in places (esp the bar area), but the toilets were especially neglected, dirty & smelly - totally unacceptable.

Overall, it was 'ok', but I felt it was not deserving of its star rating, nor the prices they charged for A-I.

However, I note they have since refurbished the pool area, and parts of the hotel too - but I still wouldn't go back...

Kefalonia has some stunning and interesting sights if you are so inclined to look - we saw most of the island - (the cliff top drives were fabulous). Beautiful little Assos was packed with tourists so solidly, there were no more parking spaces, as was a supposedly secluded beach near Andipata in the North (that takes 25 mins of a stoney hill walk to get to on foot!) New builds of hotels were sprouting up all over, so make the most of it before it becomes even more saturated and the tranquility of the island is eventually lost...

• Travel date: Fri 7th of January 2011

Amazing, that good getting married here!

Reviewed Tue 13th of July 2010

"We stayed in the hotel in june, scorching hot. lovely views.
The hotels is a little out the way but thats nice if you dont want the hussle and bussle of it all. its about a 5 min drive to Skala town. about hour and some thing walk.
deluxe rooms are amazing, the view is out of the world, I would advise every one to stay in deluxe as they have the views the standards dont.
The service was not the greatest as if you were all inclusive you had to get your own drinks and wine and things if you dining. but if your self catering or b&b they wait on you. and constantly with you. which i think was a little wrong.
Pool area lovely, normal procedure having to get up crack of dawn to put towels down. same everywhere now tho.
Shuttle bus that also takes you to town of skala were the beach and some lovely restaurants.
IF you smoke take some with you as about the same price and not many places in skala sell then other then little kiosk, also no machines or shop in hotel.
Hotel is on a steep hill, im not very fit first few times it was hard for me walking up and down to room but by end got used to it.
pool area look out to see looks like all the pictures!! dead nice.
generally when we went did not see any kids advise solo travellers or couples ect. not really for familys.
very clean rooms, bar filled in room every day.. massive balconys!!
stylish hotel
trust me you would all love it.. i did so i have decided to wed there now!!!

• Travel date: Thu 8th of July 2010

This hotel was wonderful we went on our...

Reviewed Tue 26th of August 2008

"This hotel was wonderful we went on our honeymoon here and enjoyed every minute from the service to the food.
Would highly recommend going All Inclusive the choice for food was wonderful they catered for every need.

The rooms were fantastic very clean and the towels changed every day nothing was too much trouble.

The hotel was quite and peaceful good entertainment at night nothing to serious or party like just relaxing and good fun.
The only downside was that they dont advertise what is included in the All Inclusive its abit of trial and error and there was no on site shop but the next holiday complex had a shop which was adequate.
The free bus service was extremely handy for nipping into the towns for any shopping.
The spa was a little pricey but very professional and clean.

All in all a wonderful holiday resort for a beautiful island would highly recommend."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of August 2008

Just returned from a week at the Apostol...

Reviewed Sun 3rd of August 2008

"Just returned from a week at the Apostolata Hotel which we enjoyed on an All Inclusive basis. The hotel is located on the south east of the Island and is quite close to the resorts of Poros, Sami and Scala. Although the hotel provides transport to Scala throughout the day, I would recommend hiring a car if you want to explore further afield such as Fiscardo (2 hours away) and Myrtos Beach - both locations are well worth a visit. We hired a small car (don't forget must have air conditioning) with Greekstones car hire (www.greekstones-rentacar.com). The vehicle was delivered and collected from the hotel and was competively priced. Roula was very helpful providing a map and pointing out places worth a visit.
The hotel is of a good standard and the staff were polite and helpful. On a our visit entertainment was provided during the evening - greek music,quiz nights (swat up on your music, films and general knowledge)and a 'double dose' of a gent from the UK who is now resident in Kefalonia ,who sings Frank Sinartria numbers - take it away!

We are certainly glad we booked the All Inclusive option, which entitles you to eat and drink more or less throughout most of the day, without clocking up what could be an expensive bill. With regards to the food - there is a good selection and it is well cooked. Drinks - yes you get the local brands but we found that was not an issue. Pleased to say whilst we were at the hotel there was noone abusing the drink option and getting out of their tree!

The bedrooms are of an adequate size for 2 perons and are cleaned, towels replaced each day. Don't forget to ask for a room with a sea view - fantastic views.
Much is said about the pool and the steps. Pool is great and yes the steps could prove a challenge/problem for the elderly or unfit. Although we didn't ask staff are constantly driving a golf buggie around so they may be able to assist and drive you down to the pool if the steps are too problematic.

Not much more to be said other than we found the holiday very relaxing, met some lovely people and just go for it. "

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of August 2008

Negatives: There is a lot of building wo...

Reviewed Mon 2nd of June 2008

"Negatives:
There is a lot of building work going on as they take over the entire hillside! (to be fair, most of it is unobtrusive but not if you are in the superior room block we were in - a high screen would be nice). The advertised spa wasn't ready when we arrived in the last week of May and we had to ask at reception if it was actually the Louis Apostolata hotel since there were no signs on the road (it's called the Apostolata Hotel apprently but there wasn't a sign for that either). Our room smelt of drains on three occaisions (refill the P traps with water to get rid of he smell - i.e. turn the taps on) and the fridge only stays on when you are in the room. The lovely looking bar in the main reception area only opens after 6pm, until then, you need to go to the pool bar, a long walk away and a not inconsiderable drop in altitude! There's half board and all inclusive. The all inclusive get small plastic tumblers for drinks, half board get taller glass 'glasses' and their wallet emptied.

Positives:
Our superior room with swim up (or something like that) is quite a unique idea and whilst we weren't sure at first, it proved to be well worth the extra. Certainly very refreshing after a hard day on the beach and there's two showers in the shower area. The staff are excellent on the whole. The Restaurant is half indoors and half outdoors with, it has to be said, some pretty good views of the sea. Food was OK, not of any particular style, certainly not Greek but it seemed to prove popular. We preferred to eat out but that was mainly because we wanted to try the local food, not because of the hotel.

Other stuff:
We hired a car and spent a few days trying to find that 'special beach' - which we did but an hours drive away and with hundreds of hairpin bends in between. However, having looked at other resorts on the island from the windscreen of our hire car, the hotel bus between the hotel and Skala (or a short cab ride) meant that a major beach is within easy reach (the main beach at Skala) and would be quite adequate for a beach holiday for 7 days or so. Despite our negatives, we enjoyed our stay at the hotel and I'm sure that once the Spa facitilies are instaled and working, this hotel will have an extra string to it's bow to make it all the more enjoyable. In the room, the air conditioning worked fine and there is a kettle too (yippee!). My top tip is to take a tub of marvel, a 1 pint plastic measuring jug and have fresh skimmed milk when ever you want for your tea."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of June 2008

On arrival to the hotel I didn’t reall...

Reviewed Fri 10th of August 2007

"On arrival to the hotel I didn’t really know what to expect. But as soon as I stepped into the hotel reception it was very stylish and boutiquey!!! The receptionists were very helpful. We stayed in the superior rooms, which were very comfortable, and had great decor!

The views were stunning as well!!! But there was a slight gap where you can easily get into the neighbours balconies, plus the had two infinity pools for the superior rooms, but we did not use them, rarely anyone did! Instead we used the huge and luxurious infinity pool, which was salt, and very refreshing, even though it was a slight walk up and down from the hotel to get to the pool.

The restaurant was comfortable, and the staff were helpful and mostly friendly, and there was great choice of food, which had different themes every night.

There wasn’t much entertainment, and not many facilities (like spa etc) had tennis courts but I wouldn’t fancy playing tennis in hot temperatures!

Don’t trust some photo's of the hotel because they are old, the pool is much better and the superior rooms and reception are new!!!

Overall a great holiday, not much to do, but great for relaxation!!! My rating of 4 1/2 stars!!!

• Travel date: Fri 10th of August 2007

We were rather apprehensive about going...

Reviewed Mon 28th of May 2007

"We were rather apprehensive about going here after reading other reviews but were very pleased with the hotel.

The food was excellent with a varied and changing selection available every day.

Our room was large and comfortable and was kept scrupulously clean. The majority of staff were pleasant and helpful. There is a weekly "Greek" themed evening including Greek dancing and some quiz nights too.

There is a superb "infinity" swimming pool and our only quibble with the pool was that it was only open between 10am and 6pm as those are the lifeguard's working hours so understandable I suppose.

When we were there (late May 2007) there was no food available poolside but construction is underway so there will be in the future.

The free shuttle bus is useful, taxis are cheap. It's not suitable for people who can't cope with a lot of steps and although, there is a children's pool, I don't think it's an ideal hotel if you have small children.

There are mosquitoes - take/buy repellent and/or room plugs."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of May 2007

nice place

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"I really do think that there are a lot of spoiled people out there,
because this hotel is not to bad as some people would like to do believe.
If you really want all the luxury that you think you diserve, then go to the bahamas....please why always this complaining?
I have had a real good time there,and believe me..I also had my doubts....but lets face it.....our standards are not their standards,
they also must learn and improve.
I gave the hotelmanagment some ideas to make things a little better....but then I talk about minor things.
People who don`t like to walk,should not complain afterworths,because there is enough information...and the pictures in the brochures are correct.
The only negative thing is are thoose disquisting people who eat like they never ate before....take as much as possible one one plate...you know?
Well...and there is always enough!!
I have read some comments about insects...haha...what do you think there are in country`s like this? flying marsmallows?
Give me a break...! Take a glass of wine ...relax ..enjoy the views and the sun ...and don`t be picky about every detail....
and.....arrogance takes you no where....bye
A happy traveller."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of May 2007

Very Very disappointing

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"This was one of the worst hotels that my husband & I have ever stayed in. The staff were very unfriendly if not down right rude! The famed Greek hospitality does not exist here. The hotel employs many eastern European students who speak very little English - they must really hate their jobs as they all refuse to make eye contact with guests let alone smile at them. The pool area toilets did not appear to have been cleaned for weeks. The food was boring, very over cooked, over salted & of very poor quality it was usually cold & there was never any fresh fruit or vegetables- one morning at breakfast there was tinned fruit which was so old it was beginning to ferment/fizz in the bowl! Food in the pool bar was very limited, expensive & poor quality - plus as others have said a less than clean area. The hotel ran out of clean towels - when we phoned reception one evening after 6.00pm to say that the towels in our room had not been changed we were told they had run out of clean linen so we had to shower with wet towels. They ran out of glasses & took the water dispenser out of the dining room to cut down. They also took the extra pillow we had asked for from our room (I have a neck condition & need extra support) & refused to give another replacement as the hotel had not got enough pillows - even though the hotel was less than half full. When we stayed many many people complained..............& one couple made a formal complaint & were aiming to get a refund once back home......... need I say more? We both felt that this hotel seemed on the brink of closure. Also as others reviewers have said the 92 steps, from pool to reception, often at a 45 degree angle, are not for the faint hearted! HOWEVER Kephalonia is superb so do not let this put you off. Just do not stay at this hotel what ever you do!!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 9th of May 2007

Dont' even waste your time - a dreadful hotel!!

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"We stayed for a week at the Apostolata in September 2004 and how disappointed we were. It's refreshing to read how much other guests were disappointed, we were beginning to feel it was just us. The whole place needed some TLC. The pool bar area was filthy, I wouldn't have eaten anything from there! There were mouse or rat droppings in the pool area toilets.
The hot food in the restaurant was very disappointing (always cold), we paid for a taxi into Scala for 4 evenings out of 7 to get a decent meal. (Supposed to be All Inclusive).
The hotel bar was definitely lacking in atmosphere, as was the choice of drinks.

It's a shame really because this hotel could put you off kefalonia for good and it's a beautiful island!

We should have stayed at the NINE MUSES again in Scala, it's a far superior hotel which we cannot fault at all."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of April 2007

Total rip off

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"This hotel is advertised by Olympic Holidays as for the discerning traveller and was priced by them accordingly. We have never stayed at such a rubbish place, service poor, pool bar run down, no food at pool bar, staff sullen, not enough sun beds for number of guests staying. The only good thing about it that we had only booked for one week. Do not believe claims that you can get to the beach directly form the property, you can't the path end at the top of a cliffe. Very disappointed will never book with that company again and would not recommend them. Please do not go its horrible."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of March 2007

Hotels near Apostolata Island Resort & Spa

Top traveller tips for Apostolata Island Resort & Spa

• Saintsgirl by Saintsgirl

"must go fully inclusive to benefit "

Apostolata Island Resort & Spa is also called