Marilena Studios

Paleokastritsa, Paleokastritsa Greece

Good

Fantastic Apartment

"I recently stayed at the lovely Marilena Apartments (Room 1) and could not fault it. This is a 2 double bedroom apartment at the front and on the top floor with lovely views of the mountains. The rooms are large and have plenty of sockets and wardrobe space. Both rooms are air-conditioned (an extra) and they have also have televisions.

The kitchen is fully kitted out with crockery, utensils, saucepans, fridge freezer and there is an area with a table where you can have your meals or write your postcards.

The bathroom is compact with a shower. There is also a hairdryer in the bathroom.

The apartments were cleaned every day and were spotless.

There is a lovely pool at the back of the apartments.

The Marilena Apartments are situated on the main road through Paleokastritsa and there are supermarkets very close by. If you don't feel like cooking, then its only a short walk to some great eateries and the lovely Acapulco Pool Bar.

One thing which should be mentioned is that the Marilena is on an incline, so there is a slope and about 20 steps to negotiate to get to the apartment.

This is superb apartment and I can't wait to return. "

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of September 2012

marilena appt

"this is the best and cleaness appt we have ever stay the people specialy maria and her family were so helful maria would come everyday to emty the bin and also would make our bed and clean the bathroom we had a wonderful time the town is so pretty so are all the montagnes and all the places we visited included the food !
i can only recommend this place as we have been in so many appts in the past but nothing like this one thanks to this lovely maria who made our holiday a nice place to stay

• Travel date: Thu 20th of October 2011

Fantastic time

"We couldn't fault this great appartment (double, No.5). After 8 hour delay at Gatwick we drove through the rain and arrived at 10.30 pm. A quick survey of the whole appartment left us smiling as we headed over the road to the Oasis for a drink or three.

The next morning we saw the apartment and the location in all its glory. The apartment was spotless, bathroom and kitchen fully equipped with modern equipment. Large double beds in each room and enough wardrobe/drawer space for Elton John.

The pool is absolutely 1st Class, very clean water and safe walking areas, no sharp edges, and with the backdrop of the mountains we spent some lazy hours there.

And maid service....every day!!

It's a quiet location which is what we wanted. As other posts have said Oasis and Spiros were great tavernas. Always a friendly welcome and lovely fish dishes.

A short walk away was Alcapulco bar located high in the volcanic rock which provided sunbeds for guests and a breathtaking view. You can walk all the way down to the sea and swim in the rocky bay. Great for snorkelling.

I could go on but let me say one thing....a week was not enough!!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Fri 30th of September 2011

couldn't wish for better

"We stayed at the Marilena from 12th July 2010 to 20th July 2010. The apartment complex was beautiful. The apartments were immaculately clean, and had beautiful views. The people who ran the apartments were so friendly and couldn't do enough for you - nothing was too much trouble. The apartments are cleaned every day - the lady who did the cleaning shamed us to death the first day we were there by washing our pots from breakfast, so we made sure we washed up straight after eating!! The lady who did the cleaning was the most pleasant lady ever - always smiling. The weather was scorching while we were there, so if you haven't pre booked air con then it's advisable to get it (5euros per night - well worth it!). The swimming pool is lovely and warm, and even though we went in July it was as though we had our own private pool. You can go in the pool at whatver time you like - no-one shouting at you to be out by 8pm. The apartment grounds are lovely and well kept - lots of lemon trees and lime trees and an abundance of very well looked after flowers and plants. Over the road from the apartments are a couple of restaurants which are worth a visit. There is a supermarket opposite the apartments also, which is open until 10pm every night and is very reasonably priced. (Closes at 2pm on Sunday, but if you turn right out of the apaprtment block there are another few shops). Next door to the Marilena is the Mermaid (boasting the biggest pool in Paleo) and this is open free to the public. Taxi transfers from the airport if you haven't got them work out at 40euros there and 40euros back. If you turn right out of the apartments, there is a car / bike / quad hire place (Niko's). you can hire a scooter for 80euros for the full week. we hired quads for 20 euros for the full day. I have never driven abroad before, but the roads are very quiet and the Corfu drivers seem to be very careful. We drove up to Lakones (about 20mins drive) and the views are remarkable - well worth a visit. To get to the beach, turn right out of the apartments and walk till you come to the Akotiri Beach Hotel - you get to the beach through here. If you can manage the steps, a visit to La Grotta is a must (just before the akotiri hotel). From there you can hire a boat - if you do anything when you go to Paleo, then this is an absolute MUST! It costs 60 euros for the whole day, and about 40 euros for your fuel. You can visit about 15 other beaches - all were deserted when we went, and many are only accessible by boat. Anchor up and swim to shore and its like having your own private beach. There are also caves you can drive into. Best 100 euros I have ever spent. Paleo is the most beautiful place - the people are so friendly, and eager to chat. They make you feel so very welcome. Worth a mention is the Cactus bar (just opposite La Grotta, before the akotiri hotel) where the staff again were brilliant. We found that the area wasn't busy, and people went out at night at about 9pm, but near the marilena things quietened down at about 1am (although they are willing to stay up as long as you want them to!) We will definitely visit again, and will definitely be staying at the Marilena again. (I have pics but for some reason it won't let me upload them!)"

• Travel date: Tue 20th of July 2010

marilena

"we have just returned from the Marilena apartments July 2009 and can not fault them ,spotless clean ,great pool area,and handy for the supermarket, bus stop and ATM and the best bathroom and shower we have ever had in Greece in 30 years of travelling there.
The owners were pleasant and helpful and the view from our balcony (room 1 )was stunning.
the Oasis and Spiro's just outside were great for food and very friendly.

• Travel date: Sun 19th of July 2009

I agree pretty much with the previous re...

"I agree pretty much with the previous review from Mrs Clegg.

The family that own the apartments - Heleni and family - are so friendly and accommodating. The apartments are very clean. The pool that is there is also clean and pretty quiet - most times we had it to ourselves.
The Mermaid next door has a bigger pool and a bar, so as a group we used this as a meeting place.
The people all around are so lovely.
The Oasis Taverna is accross the road - owned by Spiros and Georgia, who also own The Acapulco. The food there is excelent and very reasonable. The Acapulco is about a 10 minute walk and well worth it. The bar and pool great - good too for lunch snacks, but going down the steps and to the sea, you get such a brill view - overlooking Liapades and outwards.
I loved the whole laid back nature of Paleo. Some lovely small beaches and coves. the sea is such a lovely colour and so clear.
I would definitely go back to the Marilena - all the other guests were very happy too.
The bus stop is directly outside. You can go to Paleo town for 1 euro 40 cents and Corfu town for 2 euro 40 cents on a green bus that is lovely and cool - air conditioned.
We hired a car for 3 days and that was good to see different parts of the Island.
What a great holiday!!! Oh and out of 6 of us - 1 hurt her arm and another was quite poorly. The doctor is on call 24 hours a day and comes to see you. They are so helpful and great care - very professional. So no worries if you are a poorly.

• Travel date: Wed 30th of July 2008

Myself and 5 other friends have just spe...

"Myself and 5 other friends have just spent a fantastic time in Paleo. We stayed in the Marilena Apartments. Heleni and her family (who are very friendly and cannot do enough for you) own and run these and it consists of around 10 apartments. We occupied a two bedroom apartment and a studio. The whole place was very clean and well maintained. The weather was very hot and air conditioning was available(and a life saver) at an extra daily charge. Heleni's mum is the maid service and is constantly cleaning and looking after things. The pool is quiet and private and a nice place to relax.
The location I would say was very good. It is next door to the campsite and across the road from the Oasis Taverna (lovely food, great atmosphere, very reasonable prices) and about 200m from the supermarket which has a cash machine.
Paleo town is about 20 to 25 mins walk away, but the bus stop to take you there is right outside the door and costs 1euro 40 cents in fare. The same bus stop will also allow you to catch a bus to Corfu town for about 2 euros and takes about 40 minutes.
The Acapulco is a wonderful place. It is about 500m from the Oasis and owned by the same people - Spiros and Georgia. The Acapulco is a lovely bar and swimming pool, where you can also get one of the best views and into the sea.
There are some lovely places to see, we hired a car for 3 days and ventured to other parts of the Island. It is a lovely laid back place, very pretty, lovely people and food. There are a few bars and tavernas that will stay open quite late, but not a loud - nitelife kind of place. I would very happily return, with friends or my family."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of July 2008

We stayed at the Marilena apartments in...

"We stayed at the Marilena apartments in July this year (2007). They are extremely clean and the swimming pool is lovely. Maria and her family work very hard to keep them this way (the rooms are cleaned every day). The only drawback is the apartments are a long way from the main beach. It was extremely hot during our stay so walking long distances in a spread out and hilly resort was hard work. Having said this there is a closer beach (about 15 min walk) to the Marilena and the two tavernas across the road are excellent. Spiros Taverna is great, Irene and her brother Angelos work so hard and are very welcoming.

We had a fab holiday in Paleokastritsa and would recommend it to anyone wanting a quiet, relaxing holiday with genuine friendly people, no gimmicks here, no lager louts, no 'Coach and Horses' or MacDonalds its a real Greek experience."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of August 2007

Having read the previous reviews, I am a...

"Having read the previous reviews, I am astounded at the words which to be honest sound like these apartments are being blamed for perhaps a bad holiday.

I stayed in these apartments this year and for the three years previous. Having also stayed in other apartments in Ipsos with Budget Travel I would like to say that these are by far the most pleasurable and pleasant place to stay out of them all.

Many people I meet each time I go are families who I have met before. This apartments do much of their business of people going BACK which to me says it all.

This family run complex is an excellent and comfortable place to stay for any size family.

The owners will bend over backwards to make your stay enjoyable and fun. The food is some of the nicest in the area and the pool facilities are excellent.

When writing reviews for places it has to be taken into context that these apartments are self serving and normal hotel comforts and facilities do not apply.

I struggle to comprehend such harsh comments from the aforementioned reviewer as regards ants, beds and the lack of tap pressure as I for one having stayed here over 5 times have never come across any evidence of these things.

For the price of these apartments it will be the nicest place to stay in Ipsos given all the options.

While the people of Greece are friendly you will be surprised how friendly and welcoming the owners are.

In closing I do not normally write these kind of things on sites but having stumbled across the review I felt I had to give some kind of balance to the picture that was being portrayed.

I am heading back now in September and all my family are looking forward to visiting the Marilena again for a wonderful time.

Kind regards,
T. Byrne and family."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of September 2007

My girlfriend and myself stayed at the M...

"My girlfriend and myself stayed at the Marilena in aug 2007 and I have to say it was the smallest, most filthiest apartment I have ever seen.

When we taken to our rooms we were shocked to see how small they were. We could only have 1 suitcase opened out at a time due to the cramped space. There were ants all over the place, the water in the taps stunk of poo, the drain in the toilet stunk even worse, there was no running water in the whole complex between the hours of 6 to 10 in the evening.

The water pressure was so low you could barely wash your hands. The bedsheets and pillows were absolutely stinking of chlorine even after they were changed, ONCE.

When we ran out of the of toilet roll my girlfriend asked the owner if she could spare another. She was denied this request and only 10 minutes later I saw the owner going into a little store room beside the pool and coming out with toilet roll for herself, mean or what.

The food isn't much better either, there's maybe a choice of 3 or 4 things for breakfast and the same for lunch. When you get it it doesn't resemble or taste anything like you ordered unless i was half asleep and asked for dog poo by mistake.

We were bitten to absolute shreds and I reckon it was from the matress because a few other apartments asked for new mattresses but i dont know if this solved there problem.

While there, a few families changed rooms a few times for reasons I don't know an don't really want to either. If your planning a few nights sitting by the bar you can forget about it because it closes at 9 on the button every night.

Honestly stay away from these apartments. Ipsos itself is lovely but this place is the pits and will ruin your holiday. "

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of September 2007

Hotels near Marilena Studios

Stayed at Marilena Studios? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Marilena Studios

• terrysue by terrysue

"be prepared to walk ! "

• Hartsongs by Hartsongs

"Dont miss the Acapulco bar.....it's just a short walk and great for sun and swimming "

• yolande by yolande

"visit the beaches and also drive up the montains for the most beautiful views "

• Hilary D by Hilary D

"The key to open the door to the apartment has a fob on it and you need to put it in the socket under the light switch to turn on the electrics. "

Marilena Studios is also called