Sunshine Corfu Hotel & Spa

Grounds at the Sunshine Corfu Hotel & Spa

Good

good all inclusive, friendly staff and a beautiful beach

Reviewed 15th September 2011

"On our arrival to the hotel my partner and I were presented with a cocktail to welcome us. Our luggage was taken to our room and straight away we were made to feel at home. The location its self is a little remote but you have all you need in the hotel and if you do feel the need to get out there are plenty of trips to choose from. The beach is very close to the hotel with a lift leading directly down. The sea is perfectly clear and great for snorkling. Breakfast, lunch and Dinner had a wide varity of food available and myself being a picky eater thought I might struggle but I found that the food was good enough for me. Overall I was happy with the hotel and would recomend a visit. My partner and I did a few trips and got to see a lot of other hotels and think we had one of the best compared to the ones we saw.Only problem I would say I found is the hotel is aimed French people more then english and the day time activties around the pool were in french but as English we were still encouraged to join in."

• Travel date: 14th September 2011

great time

Reviewed 22nd July 2011

"I would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to anyone,who is looking for a beautiful views, fantastic atmosphere (which is created by a very friendly staff) as well as, a delicious food. On our arrival, we have been greeted by a supervisor Anne, glasses of refreshing juice, and a room with a breathtaking view on the ocean (all rooms face this direction); there is no time for boredom either: three terraces full of comfortable chairs, two pools, bars, café, and a beach downstairs (also full of chairs)- you can also get everywhere with ease thanks to lifts. Moreover, there is a very professional and well equipped spa. For water-sports fans, there is a harbour with boats, kayaks, etc. In the evenings, the animation team entertains with interesting events, and during the day takes care of children. The hotel itself is very clean and managed professionally. The staff is very nice and amiable. The food and drinks, I assure will not disappoint anyone. My husband and I, have been to many places on the island in the past years, but we both agree that the rest this year was the best thus far. We would like to thank all who took such fantastic care of us Alicja & Steve Sek (London) "

• Travel date: 17th July 2011

Confirming Previous Reviews!

Reviewed 13th June 2011

"Having just come back from 2 weeks at The Sunshine Vacation Club, I can confirm that pretty much which has been written before has been accurate, even going back to Mrs N Swanwick's post in Aug 2008, although it seems to be cheaper now, as we paid £1,200 for 2 people, All Inc, and you can rent a car from Tollis (at the main gate) for €35. (Quads and Scooters are less) The rooms are a bit basic, the beds are very uncomfortable, having only CNN to watch on the 22 channel TV's means you get to hear nothing of the outside world, but with a hotel full of French tourists, there is plenty of hot water. "Brits Abroad" have had a terrible reputation in the past, but I would take them over the incredibly rude and arrogant Gallic’s who will take every opportunity to get into the lifts before you can get out, jump queues in the restaurants, and hold shouting conversations at all hours of the day. Don't expect to hear 'Excusez-moi' too often! We didn't have any real problems with wasps...maybe that issue has been tackled, or maybe it was the time of year, but I did get more than my fair share of mozzie bites (although my girlfriend was pretty much untouched, so I guess that’s the luck of the draw!) Outside of the rooms, the hotel is generally clean, and every single member of staff was fantastic. From reception, the bars, shop, and restaurants, if you needed anything, they were very happy to help (Although I find that a few words of conversational Greek can get you noticed, instead of talking louder, and waving your hands around!) Please be careful with the steps though...they can go from a uniformed size and shape to uneven at random moments, and being on the side of a very steep hill, there are plenty of them. There aren't any toilets close to the bars, so you will need to climb some, and at night, after a few ouzos accidents happen. At least three people during our stay were in plaster and on crutches caused buy misjudging steps. The animation team try hard, but as they work for a French company, and are generally there to entertain the French guests, don't expect too much in the way of fluent translations...if any. Saying that, one or two go out of their way to include guests from other countries, which was greatly appreciated. The evening entertainment is on a seven-day cycle, so once you have stayed a week, it will be exactly the same the following week. The pool areas were well kept, and getting sun beds was never a problem, although seating on the balcony in the evening could be a bit tricky. Taxis are bit pricey, but at the time of writing, in the UK it's around £1.30 per litre, and would be about £1.50 (€1.75) in Corfu. A taxi from Nissaki to Corfu Town will set you back around €30...and don't forget you are coming back too! Busses are infrequent, and tent to stop in the late afternoon...so the last one back from Corfu Town is around 16.20. You are better off spending a couple of days poolside, asking the staff where they would recommend, and hiring a car from Tollis for a couple of days. The food is reasonable buffet fare, but gets very repetitive, very quickly. There was a great selection of eggs for breakfast (fried, boiled, omelette, scrambled) but bacon made an appearance once every seven days. So to sum up.... Cons: Rude French, terrible beds, food uninteresting, steps that can snap your legs, toilets placed at random locations. Pros: Wonderful staff, amazing views, good value. Would I recommend it? Yes...as a seven day holiday, as fourteen days was grating by the end. Would I go back? Probably not. It was good, but I've had better. "

• Travel date: 8th June 2011

A fantastic hotel in a beautiful location

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"We stayed in a bungalow, it was spacious clean and had a/c. The rooms were cleaned daily and towels changed every other day. The view was beautiful. The food was great, plenty of choice with lots of fresh fish and salad and different meals every night. There were also two restaurants to eat at serving lovely food. The hotel is in a very quiet area but if you want a relaxing week it is ideal. It is surrounded by very beautiful scenery. There are a lot of steps (great to burn off all the food) but there were lifts to all levels and the beach if you struggle with mobility. In summary a fantastic hotel with friendly and helpful staff in a beautiful location."

• Travel date: 7th June 2010

Absolutely lovely........

Reviewed 10th October 2012

"We stayed at the sunshine vacation club 24/5/10 and stayed in one of the sea view bungalow rooms, which was amazing. The beds are something else; I have a bad back and sometimes suffer with holiday beds but not here. Clean spacious room, AC, two balconies and a view of mountains and sea what more can you ask for. The food Breakfast: was the normal stuff bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes pastries, cereal.... ham & cheeses etc- same each day but plenty of stuff to choose from, Lunch: Kebabs, burgers, sausages, chips, pasta & masses of salad and feta mmm! again same each day but fine for lunch Evening Meal: Fantastic !!! everything from Calamari, king prawns, roast joints and whole salmons to fish fingers, fresh handmade burgers and again heaps of salad and lovely soups to start and the hot deserts were great too (flambé bananas with nuts and hot choc sauce with ice cream...... wow). A summation Paradise found! Great food, friendly staff, clean and well presented hotel 5 stars. A little out of the way so great for couples and families but proberly not so suited for young singles wanting a bit of night life. Although the buses, which stopped 20yards from the hotel gate were really cheap: 2 euro to Corfu town 40mins by bus 35euro by taxi one way 1.40euro to Cassiopi (little fishing village quite nice for a day trip) by bus. The beach is a small private pebble beach, it has a small boat at the end of the pier ready to take you on trips every day barr Sunday. (I didn't use so can't comment sorry). The entertainment as pretty good too, not too pushy and they seem to enjoy what they're doing, hardworking and friendly, funny acts to be seen. The only negative if you can call it one was theres not many Brits there about 30% British and the rest mainly French & Dutch. But all in all the place is great nothing too much trouble with the staff the hotel lives upto the www.sunshinevacationclubs.com website all is as it shows. Fantasic I would recommed this hotel and maybe return one day..............."

• Travel date: 4th June 2010

perfect service

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"this hotel was part of magic life in 2007. so i know it like that.. pretty nice hotel with nice staff...everything is all inclusive, even moto sports like bannana & water ski.. 2 pools, nice beach, 2 tennis courts.. i really enjoyed this hotel.. i would like come back one day...only one problem - steps.. thats right, there are a lot of steps.. and if you live in any bungalow, you must do long walk to restaurant... :("

• Travel date: 2nd February 2010

Oh dear what a let down!!

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"Arrived in the rain, no change from England. Thunderstorms all evening and throughout the night. Can't complain about that as no control over weather. Hotel OK speedy reception and shown to room, all good so far. Breakfast OK staff very good but oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! had to queue for 15 mins to get a cup of tea of coffee, only one machine working. Lunch OK varied menu. Dinner, well same with a few extras added from lunch!! Anyway food enough if you are hungry but after 1 week very boring and the bolognese after 7 days looked as if it was getting dryer and dryer and darker and darker by the minute!!!!! Bar staff good apart from one who obviously did not like the English and was so rude to the point of being a total (--). The entertainment team worked their socks off and have my total admiration for trying to please everyone old or young. The hotel being built in the side of a cliff makes the levels to climb unsuitable for anyone with any kind of a disability impossible, Because of the storms the lift to the lower pool and beach were out of order for 3 days and this made it impossible to visit. If you are fit , healthy and can drive this may be the place for you, if not give it a wide berth!!!"

• Travel date: 15th October 2009

great holiday

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"my wife and i have just come back from the sunshine nissaki where we had a great time the location is great for a quiet holiday as its a few km from any build up of shops and bars there are a few near the hotel but not many. the views are beautiful looking over the bay. the hotel is very clean and the staff friendly and helpful our room was cleaned 6/7 days and towels changed the same amount. the breakfast was continental but a good choice lunch and dinner the starters and sweets were great but the main course s were a bit hit and miss sometimes a good choice or not much choice . the bar was open from 10am till 1am the next morning and you helped yourself at lunch and dinner. there was a belguim animation team at the hotel who ran all the activites ie volleyball waterpolo,tabletennis,darts,archery, rifle shooting,poker ,french bowls,yoga ,stretching and cocktail games water and step arobics and in the evenings were greats shows on a vry large stage with proper spotlighting. the team of sam,igor,jocquim ,danny and girls lola little roxanne were great fun and not pushy.all in all i would rate this hotel 90%"

• Travel date: 12th October 2009

The 139 Steps

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"when i booked this hotel i did not envisage that i would have a badly sprained ankle which had failed to heal in time for my holiday .The steps were an absolute nightmare, I had booked to stay in the beach bungalows..be warned they are not bungalows! they are just a bedroom and bathroom.I asked to be moved to the hotel but the reception staff were surly and unhelpful, so i just had to manage..We were tied to the pool and beach which are on 3 different levels, it was exhausting! On a positive note the view from the valcony/bar is absolutely stunning the drinks were great , bar staff friendly, food average nothing special.Location not too much to see.we hired a car for a day and saw a bit of the island which was nice..Great place if you 100%fit!"

• Travel date: 1st October 2009

OK Hotel, Good food & drink - but how many steps???????

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"We travelled as a group of 12 (8 adults & 4 kids) and booked through Travel Republic who as ever were quality. We arranged our airport transfers with a corfu company called kantas (www.corfuminbus.com) and they were brilliant and transfered us all for 100euros each way (taxi's are about 50euros each). Nissaka is on a steep hill side and the Hotel is built into it so there's plenty and plenty of stairs & steps. There is the main Hotel (which I would recommend if your thinking of booking) Plus two sets of 'Bungalow' villages - Spitia and the Greek Village. Avoid the greek village like the plague!!!! its hundreds of steeps (both up & down) away from the hotel, pools, sea, restuarants and bars. The Spitia bungalows are closer (ours was still 96 steps to the pool & 52 steps to the restuarant + 7 floor lift ride). Rooms are Ok. basic and a bit dated but and most have balconies or terraces. The main hotel is has 8 floors with reception being 1 & the pool being -8. All rooms are sea facing. on the -8 floor is the relaxing pool with the quality swim up suites (if you can afford, these rooms are by far the best). Down 2 extra floors is the activity pool, Bar area and taverna. the animation is team are quality while not being over pushy and great with the kids. No mad queing up for drinks at the bar (although half filled half pints of local lager were annoying, we just got three each, each time.) and lunch in the taverna was quite relaxing even in the middle of august. All the food was good quality always hot and not to fancy for us fussy british eaters (Pork chops, Chicken, Kebabs, Chips, Pasta dishes, Greek salads etc...). The evening food was again very good quality and always a good selection. Drink is help your self and the local beer and spirits were pretty good. The animation team put a show on each night which was very popular and always good for a laugh. The taverna bar closes at 1.00pm and the bar staff are always friendly and helpful. Never went to the disco thing so cant comment. The sea is crystal clear if you can overcome the pebbles and rocks to get to it. We hired a boat for two days from Fontas at Nissaka Boat Hire (wwww.nissakboathire.com) for 90 euros + fuel per day and he brought the boat to the hotel for us. Quick lesson on how to use it then we all had a great time up and down the coast, swimming and doing a little fishing. The kids thought this was the best part. Mosiquitos are a problem but we used Soltan sun & after sun with insect repellent and never got bit, unlike some of our party. Lots of wasps but they dont really bother you and you get use to them, although I got stung on the foot on the last day. All in all the main hotel is a 3/4*, The greek village a 2*, Spitia Village 2/3* . The Staff are all 5* (except stuck up reception staff). The food is very good as is the drink and service. Would go back again but stay in the main hotel. Kids loved it"

• Travel date: 6th September 2009

Perfect holiday

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"Stayed for a week with husband & 15 yr old son and we had an absolutely brilliant holiday. Excellent from when we got off the coach to see staff taking our bags into an impressive reception area till they collected the bags at the end of our holiday. Check in took about a minute, we were then given sandwiches, fruit & drinks while the bags were taken to our bungalow. Restaurant was buffet style, spotless, plenty of staff and no queues. Spoilt for choice with the food, plenty of salads, selection of hot dishes, pastas, meat, fish, veg etc and the deserts were much better than I expected. You could also book the other restaurants as part of the package, we booked the Greek taverna and enjoyed it, the Italian one was fully booked before we arrived. We stayed in one of the 2 room bungalows on a level with the activity pool, snack bar (a few wasps about) and one of the bars, there are plenty of steps to the other levels but if they are a problem you soon learn the location of all the lifts (I have arthritis and a dodgy knee and managed fine). Air conditioning was excellent and as there was a heat wave it was well used – no extra charge. We had a terrace outside with table & chairs, sunbeds & parasol which I loved – perfect for reading. Cleaners were very pleasant and brought fresh towels every day. The animation team had all sorts of activities on for children of all ages during the day, and put on shows every night which we thoroughly enjoyed. Bar staff were friendly and drinks were good, again no queues. There was a late night disco on as well if you had any energy left. The only extra charges were the water sports available at the beach level and the Internet café, both of which we used. At the top of the hill there is a few shops, one to book trips & boats run by a really nice lady, the shop next door was great we bought a lot of our souvenirs there, the family who run it were pleasant, helpful and cheaper than Corfu town. There’s also a taverna, carved olive wood workshop /shop and a supermarket. We hired a boat and went up the coast stopping in little bays which was brilliant, also took the bus (comfortable coach) to the town one day, went in the morning and came back on the last one about 4.30ish, cost 2 Euros each way for each of us. While the other two tried scuba diving I went to the spa and it was great. There were plenty of sunbeds at the beach and the pools, never a problem getting one. The beach is pebbles, the water is crystal clear and great for snorkelling. All different nationalities, everyone friendly. All the staff were excellent, you couldn’t ask for more. Brilliant place to relax but if you want activities there was always something to do and you wouldn’t have to spend anything else if you didn’t want to, we would go again tomorrow if we could."

• Travel date: 5th September 2009

new for Brits in 08 but not bad at all!

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"Booked very late via internet paid £1000 for 12 nights and was a little concerned as I couldn't see any reviews at all! When we got there found it had a recent name change and has only recently started taking british customers. Mainly a family resort, we were a couple 32/39 and were in a minority. This was our first visit to Corfu and on the whole we enjoyed ourselves. Fisrt point to note and very important, The hotel and complex is on a massive hill/mountain and its all very steep! there are lifts connecting the various levels but they are not the most pleasant places by the end of the day, after lots of soggy, sweaty, bathers carrying cokes around have been in and out, and they are glass walled which makes them mini greenhouses! Room - Basic, clean on arrival however housekeeping wasn't of the highest std, nothing serious just not what we would have expected from 5/4 star. make up smears remained on the side in the bathroom and throughout the whole stay the mirror was not cleaned either(we were advised to expect greek 5 star is uk 4 star but still feel it was little below) The toiletries provided were limited to bars of soap and a shower gel dispenser, hmmm. Air con was one of the best we have seen anywhere, multiple settings so noise could be controlled, timer options etc very good. Our room was a 'bungalow in the greek village' There are so many room types at this massive hotel there could well be vast differences. All of the greek village balconies were sea view direction although trees and top or bottom level dictated if you could actually see it, we could it was lovely. Food - main restaurant buffet style 3 meals per day, food mainly of 4 star quality but as always a little boring after 1 week, deserts probably weakest area, big queues for 'hot' desert in corner, when it was any good! (not all that often) no pizza's even though we could see pizza style oven, also no burgers, so picky english style eaters were limited, strangeley not lots of greek food either, just a weekly greek night. Overall though all edible and no illness at all even though we ate uncooked things such as salad fresh fruit etc. Asian restaurant - poor. food quality ok but bizarre combinations etc, Greek restaurant - very good we ate there twice, enjoyed the souvlaki, moussaka and mixed grills. Fish restaurant (extra charge) - not available as not enough people wanted to pre book, they need minimum 15 covers I believe. Snack/Pool Bar - poor - food quality average but just a mini main restaurant, same food selections, just less of them. No freshly cooked snacks at all, only 'snack' was some premade sarnies. better to go upstairs unless you really couldnt be bothered to cover up. Pools 2 of them, the 'relax' pool was at the top of the hill on the ground level of the hotel, accross the hill from the greek village , no bar, just a water cooler and (clean) portaloo, nice idea but needs pool bar and proper toilets. to get to either you have to either go into hotel complex and up 8 floors or get the lift down to the bottom 'activity' pool. The bottom pool was smaller, this had music and the animation staff running activities. they were good not pushy at all, and although we idnt join in anything except the toughest aqua aerobics in history we were not bothered by them all. they run all the std activities so if you like that sort of thing you are well catered for. Beach narrow, pebbly and rocky, but with a great pier to jump in from and lovely clear water, a few days we went up to the very quiet far end near the watersports as it was quiet and we walk up lots of steps to our greek village bungalow easier. No beach bar or snack bar, again just portaloo and water coolers. There is lift back up to the level of the activity pool. Water sports, we didnt do much, the best was the boat rental 80 euros for the day for a 30hp boat, we had great time exploring the coves further north. Staff Generally very good, always a smile and seemed hard working and polite. A smooth check in and out. Bar staff operate a proper british style queue system at the bars which was strange but it works. General The hotel is let down by its poor location on the side of a hill/mountain making getting around a struggle in the muggy heat (34 felt like 44)! It is overall what we would expect from a 4* all inc family holiday ie iberostar etc but it doesnt exceed expectations anywhere or have anything to make it stand out or make us really want to come back. It could do with a little more luxury or something special for that. Don't go if you are not mobile or if you are scared by wasps, after 1 day I felt almost immune to them, just very sorry for the bar staff who were constantly stung. It is an incentive to stick to water rather than coke! Any sweet drink would bring them swarming. not pleasant at all really. A hotel extermination squad is def required. This hotel is not isolated like the nissaki beach further north it is actaully in/near nissaki itself and right at the top of the hotel drive there are local shops, taverna's, bike rental etc but its not a busy are for nightclubs or bars so def more family orientated. Other We rented a quad from the rental agency at the hotel entrance at the top of hill on 2 occaisions to visit a beach on the opposite side the island, that was a nice change. cost 40 euros per day inc insurance. We got the 'taxi boat' to corfu town, 20 euros each return, so we got to do some shopping and saw some sights around the old town, just book the day before when you see him moored at the hotel pier. The Skipper is great fun to talk with and has good english. We rented a boat for one day as mentioned before from the hotel run watersports complex, this was great. went horse riding just up the coast at avlaki, they collected and dropped us back off at the hotel www.dimitriscorfu.gr - They do advanced rider hacks which is what i did, 3 or 4 canters and 1hr 45 mins. they also do the std beginner treks. The other riding locations do not offer anything other than beginner treks."

• Travel date: 27th August 2008

Hotels near Sunshine Corfu Hotel & Spa

Top traveller tips for Sunshine Corfu Hotel & Spa

• by Sharon Doyle

"Make sure you take enough money to book excursions if you intend to see more of the island as the hotel is in a very remote area"

Sunshine Corfu Hotel & Spa is also called

• Sunshine Vacation Club Corfu
  • sunshine vacation hotel corfu
  • sunshine vacation resort corfu