The large pool

• greek amenities
  • kitchenware
  • complimentary toiletries
  • special diet menus
  • free public parking nearby

I loved it there :)

Reviewed 11th April 2013

"My mum took me and my brother to corfu three times :) the first 2 times we stayed in the Irini, coincidentally my favourite 2 times. the third time we went we stayed at pablos apartments across the road it looked ok but the matresses were damp. We still walked over to the irini every day though :) Danda was absolutly lovely to us she remembered what we ate for breakfast there and had it ready for us when we got there. I was 7 the first time we went 9 the second and 11 the last time i went. I definately reccommend staying there i have nothing but fond memories of the place. and ive never eaten nicer chips than dandas :3 And all around the irini there are beautiful gardens! Theres chickens and a turkey ( it chased me once!) and a lovely dog called Zaccy! And look out for the giant turtle bones in the trees beside the chicken and dog house! its so cool! :D Also i highly recommend Zacs Tavern, it is the most beautiful restaurant we ate there every day the first two times (last time recession had kicked in so we didnt eat there as often). Zac was just as nice to us, he even took us all out on his speed boat and let us drive it! ( one of the fondest memories of corfu was his invitation : "We will sail peacefully along the coastline..." He then turned to me and my brother and loudly whispered "At VERY HIGH SPEEDS". That man is a legend! I miss that restaurant and all the friends i made in corfu even the bell that rang twice when your food is ready in zacs that used to annoy me, i would give anything to go back there, but the recession has gotten really really bad so i dont know if ill ever get to see Zac or Danda again, if you go tell her Lizzie Andersons Grandaughter Jessica says hi! tell zac too! tell them i miss them loads and thank you for some of my fondest memories! "

• Travel date: 8th April 2013

Most horrible experience of my life!

Reviewed 8th June 2012

"I traveled with my one yaer old daughter and I was promised that this is a family hotel. But after 1 day of vacation came about 15 Dutch teen year olds to the hotel and they party all night until at 7 in the morning. We could not sleep at all, reception is unstaffed at night. I and all other guests complained to reception but nothing happened. On the fifth day the lady in the lobby, demanded money from me for broken blinds that were broken before me and said it was unacceptable that we complained about the noise that made her to have pain in her stomach. And finally she said that if I can not stand the noise so it is I who have to calm down those party guys (Actually it's not my job and not my my guests, I'm on vacation!). Holiday was completely ruined. Reception is not doing their job, very eerie place, unprofessional staff, very unplesant stay... THERE WILL NEVER MORE!!!"

• Travel date: 8th June 2012

Idyllic

Reviewed 20th July 2011

"Myself and my partner are just back from two weeks in these apartments. First of all, you are in GREECE so if you want 5 star luxury stay at home or go somewhere else. Couple next door complaining no microwave or tv! Eh hello. We arrived into Corfu airport at 2pm and were in our apt by 3.15. About 20 / 25 min drive from airport to Messonghi. Apts are set in off the road in beautiful gardens and run by Kostas and his family. They also own the shop out front. No queueing up at reception to hand in passport etc. as there is NO reception (reception is the bar at the pool). We had apt no 7 which was at the back of the garden near the pool in lemon grove. Idyllic. The apt consisted of bedroom (two beds pushed together) two lockers each side, table (with mirror) and a wardrobe. Patio doors at bottom of beds and also a window at the side. Shutters on doors and windows so fresh air in and mossies out. The “kitchen” was a little passage between the bedroom and the bathroom. A fridge, table with kettle and toaster and a sink with cupboards overhead. We had the bare necessities as regards cutlery and crockery (one dish, plate, mug each!). Two spoons etc. It was fine as we only had breakfast in apt. The plumbing in Greece is dodgy at best of times so sometimes we had only a trickle coming out of the taps in the bathroom and “kitchen” but shower always worked. U have to let the shower run for about 5-10 mins before hot water comes out. We thought no hot water and had cold showers in the beginning (hop in and out) but later discovered plenty of hot water. Our water went completely one night but Kostas got a plumber and all sorted. Nothing is too much trouble for Kostas. He at the bar constantly and you just ask him and its done. We had requested two extra pillows on the day of arrival and they arrived within 10 mins. The towels in the apt are like sand paper and would take the skin off you. So hard. However, they are clean. They were changed 4 times during the two weeks. We only got 2 linen changes in the two weeks. Not enough by half. Sheets are thread bare (u could read the newspaper through them) but they clean and fresh. Cleaning lady started to come very early (9am) so we explained no way. 10am earliest. She did not come every day and her “cleaning” was harmless. She made the beds but on some occasions never emptied the bins (especially one in bathroom where u have to throw the toilet paper). We also had no brush or mop in the apt. We spilt sugar one day and it was an impossible job to clear it up. The apts have air conditioning at a charge of Euro 35 a week. Well worth it as we would not have survived the two weeks otherwise. It was very hot our first week (temp well into the late 30s C) so air conditioning at night a must. Second week not as humid but still very very hot. Well worth the Euro 70 we paid for the two weeks. Safe deposit box in the room. Euro 15 for the two weeks. I recommend you buy mosquito plug ins for the room and use plenty of spray when going out. The mosquitos are everywhere and especially with the apartments being in a garden and near the river. We got bitten. My partner got a very nasty bite that got infected and ended up having to get anti biotic cream. Even walking to and from the beach use the spray. The shop out front has all holiday essentials. They also have a little souvenir shop. However, there is a large supermarket up the road (out of the apt and turn right) called 3K and this is massive. Stocks everything. There is a river running at the back of the apt and it can be a bit smelly at times. The pool area is fine. Lots of sun beds (no rush for them every morning) and food in the bar is lovely. All fresh and cooked on request. We did not eat there on many occasions but other residents did with no complaints. There is an abundance of lemons and Kosta told us to pick them whenever we wanted so fresh lemon juice every morning. Delicious. We had a private patio area but some apts do not. We strung up a clothes line as u do not get a clothes airer so it was handy for hanging our towels and swim gear to dry. We went to Messonghi beach first two days (out of apartment, turn left and take second turn on left). Straight down the road to the beach. However, we discovered that beds were being “booked” with towels, shoes, etc. and the 3rd day we got no bed despite the fact we were there at 9.30am! There are only about 100 beds on this beach and its packed to say the least so we decided to see what moraitika beach was like. Deadly. Out of apartment, turn RIGHT, pass taxi rank and second turn on right. Straight down that road and a huge beach with plenty of beds, water sports, restaurants, showers. Much bigger and not as stony as Messonghi beach and not as long a walk either. Beds on beach Euro 2 each and brolly Euro 2. Lots of lovely restaurants in Messonghi and Moraitika. Unfortunately when we there the Greeks were on strike so we were eating in the dark some nights unless the restaurant had their own generator. However, both Messonghi and Moraitika villages very quiet. Very few in the restaurants which is great pity as the food to die for. Some owners were telling us that people are now going “all inclusive” which is ruining the restaurant trade there. However, we did meet people there who had done the all inclusive but they said after a few days the food got so repetitive. Same old same old every day with not a lot of variety. I do not know where they staying but one of the restaurant owners said the only difference between all inclusive and jail is you allowed out !! Restuarants we would recommend are Zacs Place (turn left outside apartment), Mandelena (turn right up passed taxi rank), Rose Garden (this is in Moraitika (turn right outside apartment and go up the road about 200 metres. Its in off the road so just watch for the sign) and The Islands. We went to the Village Taverna one night (in old Moraitika village). It was packed and well worth the visit. We were told to get taxi up (its right up the end of Moraitika and up a steep hill) and it cost us Euro 7 which I thought very expensive. Needless to say we walked home. The food is lovely and the old village is well worth a visit anyway. We will definitely be returning to Irini Apartments in Messonghi. "

• Travel date: 12th July 2011

We love Danda and Costas and all the falily

Reviewed 16th December 2010

"We have been going here for about ten years twice a year in June and September, have been all over the resorts,in spain and the rest but here is just is just home the minute we arrive and meet the faimily we are home."

• Travel date: 14th December 2010

best holiday in a very long time!

Reviewed 14th September 2010

"had been a long time since myself and my daughter, had been able to get away on holiday, and came very heighly recomended, accomidation very practicle , my only vice was the need for air comditioning... fabulous atmosphere, very warm and friendly family run buisness, , good food on site, and within easy access. thank you to all who made our stay so good ps. keep feeding my cats!! kit"

• Travel date: 4th September 2010

relaxing, friendly something different

Reviewed 1st February 2010

"My wife and I spent our Honeymoon in the area of Moraitika, Corfu and found the Irini Apts. We have returned and stayed with Alexandra, Yiannis, Costa and Athena Joras more than 10 times. Yes we have been to other countries but have always returned to these Apts. The Joras Family are very friendly and will do anything for you. The rooms may seem basic but you only want somewhere to lay your head for the night and to shower and change. Its cheaper to eat out than buy in and cook. The food at the Irini Apts is second to none and great value for money, everything is so fresh. Ask for chips and you will see the potatoes dug from the ground in the Family Allotment, watch them being peeled cut and cooked in front of you. How much fresher can you get?? The family also own the Supermarket attached which stocks just about everything that you will need on Holiday. Beers, Wines, Fresh Bread and Fruit, Sun Factors etc and you will always be welcomed with asmile and a friendly greeting. We have become life long friends with the Family and we exchange cards at Christmas and speak on the Telephone. If you want home from home with TV, Telephone etc go to Spain. If you want a relaxing Family or Couples Holiday with great hosts, company,food and wine in beautiful surroundings go to the Irini Apts and let the Joras Family look after you. Chris Robinson, Dublin "

• Travel date: 30th January 2010

Wonderful Holiday hope to get there 2010!

Reviewed 19th January 2010

"My Family and I stayed at Irini in July 09 - We all had such a wonderful time that we decided to go again this summer, unfortunately I see Budget Travel have gone into Liquidation so I will have to do some invesigation into who handles the apartments this year - From the minute we arrived we were made feel very welcome, Costas and his family are great hosts, the craic around the pool and pool bar was mighty. But the cocktails too cheap and tasty - beware of headache that follows... Sure the apartments are basic,but clean I have stayed in a few Greek Islands over the years I would say typical of most SC accomodation in Greece. Food available at the Irini is very good. I think that you could stay here and have a great holiday on a tight budget, Food and Drink are cheap here and generally throughout the resort, I would recommend it to anyone and everyone!!"

• Travel date: 17th January 2010

Relaxation in Corfu

Reviewed 6th October 2009

"I was surprised to see negative comments re Irini apts. Have stayed there many times and Costas + Anthena are wonderful hosts. Yes the apts are typical of Greece, basic + clean but surely that is the attraction of Corfu, the wonderful friendly people and the feeling of going back in time, is what brings many people back again and again! I would have no hesitation in recommending these apts but would agree that this area of Corfu is def not for clubbers and ravers!thank goodness! It is a totally relaxing and chill out zone and sets u up nicely for the hard slog of winter in Dublin! Aisling the rep is extremely helpful but not pushy regarding tours etc. For 1st timers I would deffo recommend hiring a car so you can explore this beautiful island. Many nice (and cheap) places to eat catering for all tastes. Luv to all in Moraitika - Rose "

• Travel date: 6th October 2009

Ok Apartments

Reviewed 18th August 2009

"Irini Apartments are basic. The maid came every two days but only changed towels every 4 days. Pool area is nice enough and surrounded by garden area and pool bar had some nice food. We hired a car and got around oursleves for a few days which I would remommend. I wouldn't come back here and if I did come back to corfu, I would prob want to stay in Benitses as its a nicer town in my opinion with more character and charm. Nighlife in Messonghi/Moratika is pretty quiet, there are lots of bars but they are all empty! Apparently it used to be a lively town a few years back but not now and it just lacks atmosphere. There are a few good restuarants in the area, Zaks which is just up the road to the left of the Irini and The Village Taverna which is the far end of the town. "

• Travel date: 17th August 2009

Very basic in need of refurbishment

Reviewed 29th July 2009

"Before going on holiday, I read a lot of reviews in regards to these apartments and was quite impressed by the what was being said. Needless to say I was very dissapointed with the real thing. The Irini apartments are about 15 years out of date. I mean No offence when I say to the people who return to these apartments every year but it's time you went somewhere else to experience how standards have risen in self-catering throughout Europe and the Med. To be fair, the cleaning staff were friendly and did a excellent job on what they had to clean. But as the old adage goes "you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear". The small area at the back of the apartment that looks out onto the garden had a table and rusty chairs that I can only presume came out of Noah's ark. One of the rubber feet was missing from one of the chairs which left it unsteady and unsafe to sit on. The outside table was sticky underneath and was balanced with a wedge of newspaper under one of the legs. The so called self-catering kitchen area consisted of a sink with a plastic drainer that was so dirty that you can only imagine the germs that had taken up residence so you wouldn't dream of using it. There was also a small table upon which a two ringed stove top cooker rested on two floor tiles. There wasn't even a work top on which to prepare food. There was a fridge which worked fine but perhaps had also seen better days. The shower room was clean in most areas but had evidence of wear and tear over a long period. The mirror was peeling on the inside and one of the lights attached to the mirror didn't work. As this was the only why to light the shower room it left it very dark at night. The shower head and attachment was old and needed replacing. What perhaps annoyed me the most was that the pool area had good quality tables and chairs to use when buying food or drinking, which is very misleading. When we compared local resturants and eateries the poolside bar was quite expensive. The area itself is a lovely place as a base and the locals very friendly, but I would not consider going back to the Irini apartments unless they invested some money in refubishing the accommodation and bringing themselves into the 21st century. "

• Travel date: 28th July 2009

Excellent spot, would definitely go back.

Reviewed 29th July 2009

"My partner and I have just returned from two weeks in the Irini Apartments in Moraitika and I’d like to thank those previous visitors who gave it such a strong recommendation. We were both over joyed with the quality of the accommodation and food as well as the relaxing surrounding. It was the first small family run property that we stayed at and it was streets ahead of the previous large “pack em in” Hotels that Budget Travel offers in Greece. I wasn’t surprised to speak to so many fellow guests who were returning for their fourth year in a row. The rooms while basic were big and kept spotless by the friendly cleaner who like all of the staff would regularly ask if we needed anything. The pool area was surrounded by olive trees that provided a nice relaxing setting and much needed shade. There were enough sun loungers to go round and plenty of space for guests to kick back. We really liked the fact that there was no loud music or noise from the town. The location close to the town was perfect for evenings out and we found it easy to buy whatever we needed from the convenience stores that were situated right outside the apartment’s main gate. There was an excellent choice of restaurants in Moraitika but we found the Irini’s food really nice and very cheap (Club sandwich and a big plate of chips was €3.00) so we often ate there and went to the town for drinks afterwards. On the nights that we wanted something different we found the Village Tavern had an excellent menu with good service. We found the Cactus Bar great for Cocktails. The beach is no more than five minutes walk from the main gate as is the decent bus service that runs between Moraitika and Corfu Town. I would have no hesitation recommending the Irini Apartments to those who are looking for a relaxing holiday we would definitely go back. "

• Travel date: 27th July 2009

Brilliant Little Spot

Reviewed 27th May 2009

"When we first arrived at the Irini apartments my girlfriend and I were a little puzzled. Surely this was not the accommodation pictured on the Budget Travel website?. Infact it was, but clearly the image had been manipulated or doctored as to give the effect that it was a lone standing building amid a spacious green setting. It was actually a shop with some apartments attached and it seemed at first glance a little rundown. We were taken down the path to the main area of the accommodation and it looked very much as we had seen on the website when we booked, so that was our first positive. The apartments themselves were basic and clean but beware the shower!! Very flimsy but secretly held the spraying radius of a giant garden sprinkler which resulted in more water being on the floor than in the shower area it self. The back porch was a little sitting area that looked out onto a small farmlike space. This is where it gets really interesting. There were sheep and chickens and cats and dogs, and a whole load of fresh vegetables growing in allotments around the garden. We were very surprised by this as we had never seen anything like this in a holiday resort before. The first night in town was a disaster. We were there in May and the town had actually not fully opened yet so it was eerily quiet on the first night. The restaurant we went to was cheap enough but my Chicken Curry had a somewhat boil in the bag quality. It was like eating heated up canned rations. My partner and I went home to the apartments exhausted and almost in tears. This looked like the worst mistake we'd ever made holiday wise. All I can say is first impressions don't last. The next day we got up to beautiful blue skies and decided to check out the pool area. Its a lovely little spot. Its not a big place so the pool is a wee bit on the small side but the surroundings more than make up. There are beautiful flowers and grape vines surrounding the enclosure and there is also a quiet river that meanders by. Very relaxing settings. But the greatest surprise has to be the poolside snackbar. I cannot express how good the food is. I've seen other people write about it but I feel it has not been emphasised enough just how great it is. Everything is freshly prepared and cooked by the lady who runs Irini with her family. The ingredients come from the farmlike garden I spoke of. Absolutely gorgeous! If you like Pizza, I highly recommend you try it here. Sensational, hand made and only five Euro! The staff were incredibly friendly people and could not do enough for you. The whole atmosphere within Irini is one of absolute relaxation. The guests were quiet and friendly and if you were looking for somewhere to sit by the pool, drink a beer and have a dip without any noise or hassle this is the place. The town of Moraitika itself is small but I found that part of the charm. Every restaurant we tried (apart from the first nights obviously) was top class and in particular I should mention Zax which is about a three minute walk from Irini and The Village Taverna up in the old village. About a five minute cab ride up a very steep hill. Don't try walk this if its remotely warm as we did one brave night. Sweaty armpits and frizzled sweaty hair doesn't make for good dinner attire. Both restaurants served the most beautiful and fresh food. The Fish was the freshest I've ever eaten, and the prices were very reasonable too. As I have mentioned already the time of year when we went was May and the town does not fully open until June. If you are in your early twenties and expecting to find Pete Tong here banging out the latest floor filling house music then stay at home with your ipod. The average age I would say was between 35 and 60. At times my partner and I felt as if we were in some Greek version of Last Of The Summer Wine. We grew to LOVE it though! So peaceful. Irini is not a five star hotel but it is head and shoulders above any budget accommodation I have ever stayed in before. I would definitely go back again and would have no problem recommending to anyone looking for a nice relaxing break."

• Travel date: 26th May 2009

Hotels near Irini Apartments

Top traveller tips for Irini Apartments

• by ciarani

"The Village Tavern had an excellent menu with good service. The Cactus Bar was great for Cocktails"

• by FairTourist

"Favourite resturant was Harry's "Minore" - garlic bread to die for. Marathias Beach is paradise"

• by Baron V

"Zax Family Tavern and The Village Taverna"

• by jessicaharkin

"Dont annoy the turkey! and look out for the turtle in the trees its huge!"

• by Maria G

"It is only noisy guests in the hotel, parties all night until at 7 in the morning. So if you love to be awake all night so book this hotel."

• by Collette Doyle

"Bring plenty of mosquito spray as apartments set in gardens which is a haven for them. "

• by kit

"great holidays for familys with young children"

• by chris.rob1963

"Moraitika is a lovely place and I would thoroughly recommend it."

• by brilliant corfu

"Charlies Bar for the brilliant rock music!"

• by Wicklowgal

"Zaks Restaurant is excellent and only a short walk from apartments. The Village Taverna also great."

• by Jessicaoc-

"Brilliant food And Shoping"