Olive Grove Resort

National Road 47th km Corfu - Lefkimmi Kavo, Kavos 490 80 Greece

No Problem

Good

"After reading some reviews on here I get the impression some have never been to Greece before and others make stories up.
Firstly the location is perfect,set back from the main road and near the edge of town (so keeping the noise from town very low)but within 3 min walk of the main strip with its bars and clubs etc.
The complex is owned by two different people,most of the rooms and reception,reception bar by one and the pool,poolside bar and 10 rooms by another.
Both lots were very friendly though they do not get on with each other,food was good and bar prices reasonable.
Any problems or requests were dealt with promptly,asked for a different kettle,got it within a couple of hours,electricity blew,fixed with 30 min and we asked for bed sheets to be changed and they did it.

Would I go back,yes definitely.

Be warned there is a lot of mosquitoes so take a good repellent with you or you will be bitten,there are plenty of doctors but no chemist in town.
Greek showers always flood,it is how they are designed so expect this if you are not used to Greece

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of September 2014

Ideal location away from the noise

"Olive Grove Trees Apartments is in the ideal location, because it's far enough away from the noise of the strip at night if you want to sleep, yet it's in easy walking distance of all the bars, restaurants, clubs, shops and the beach.

The sea is about 2 minutes away on foot. Walk down the drive, turn left at the end and immediately right, walk down past the laundry and there is the sea! The beach is about 6 minutes away on foot. Walk down the drive, turn right at the end and walk down the strip to The Beetle Nightclub, turn left, head 50 metres down towards Roussos Fish Restaurant and the Kavos jetty – and there's the beach! The beach isn't particularly clean, but at least it's a sandy beach.

One advantage of booking a last minute deal with Olympic Holidays is that they usually include your transfers to and from the airport on Corfu, whereas transfers are excluded from many other tour operators' last minute deals. The transfer took just over an hour. Our Olympic Holidays rep was quite bossy but he did get the job done, which is what really matters. Small Planet Airlines are totally professional but somehow manage to be a lot less pompous than some other airlines, and the flight crews that we encountered were all Brits. They were flying Boeing 737s, the same as all the other airlines on these routes.

The Greeks make great hosts and Olive Grove Trees Apartments is no exception. Our transfer from the airport arrived at about 2am and we asked whether there was any chance of any food, and the guy behind the bar (Christos) kindly agreed to cook us some pizzas. Not sure what a British hotel would say in the same situation...

They kept the glasses behind the bar in the freezer, so every time they served us a beer or a cocktail it was cool and totally refreshing, very welcome in the heat of the day. We were a little concerned by the fact that Olympic Holidays classified Olive Grove Trees Apartments as “lively”, but actually we needn't have worried. Kavos is a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde resort, in the sense that after the schools go back in the first week of September it completely changes. Far more older tourists (i.e. over 30) turn up, prices noticeably drop and there are plenty of special offers to be found as stores try to clear out their remaining stock, as the end of the season looms. The downside of that is they will run out of some items, or might not have your size.

It won't be as scorchingly hot in September, and when it rains here you definitely know that it's raining. We averaged 28 to 30 degrees when we were here in mid-September, with two out of the seven days being cloudy/rainy. If you are turned on by Manc, Scouse or Geordie/Mackem accents then you are going to love this place, and the vast majority of people here were Brits. For some reason the Greeks seem to really like Brits, we generally found them to be very generous and honest and if you take an interest in their language/traditions/food they really appreciate it.

As Kavos is at the southern end of Corfu island it doesn't have the benefit of a central location, but it's quite a small island and Kavos does have the benefit of being cheap. In late season you could find a two-course evening meal for six or seven Euros in Kavos, so we generally ended up having a cooked breakfast around midday and then another cooked meal around 8pm. If you want the best possible price for your breakfast you need to do a bit of walking, as the places nearest to Olive Grove Trees Apartments (Net Bar, Big Max etc.) tend to be a bit more expensive, and it's only once you reach Hungry Hippo and Zest that prices start dropping.

The Greek kebabs (gyros) were a little different to what we have in the UK. Even if you think that you are getting a doner kebab, it is extremely unlikely to be lamb and will almost certainly be pork or chicken. They roll the pitta around the contents, and Greeks like to have chips in their kebabs. As well as the standard UK kebab fillings you will also be offered a choice of tzatziki or mayonnaise. The best kebab house that we found in Kavos is Nikos, and this is where a lot of the PRs buy themselves kebabs.

We only had two negative experiences in the whole week. Roussos overcharged us for three different items on our bill, and short-changed somebody at another table with change for 40 Euros after they had paid with a 50 Euro note. Why they would risk such a long-established reputation I have no idea, but please don't try to tell me that overcharging of three separate items on the bill is accidental. I would still go back there, however, as the food is absolutely gorgeous, but I will be checking the bill carefully and also checking my change.

One place that I will NOT be going back to is Big Max Diner. There were half a dozen places in Kavos offering a “small” breakfast (which was big enough for us, and wasn't particularly small) for one Euro fifty, but Big Max Diner was offering a breakfast with jumbo sausage for two Euros fifty. For some reason I fancied a jumbo sausage that morning, so decided that I was prepared to pay nearly twice as much as usual for my breakfast.

Anyway, when the breakfast turned up it had a normal sized sausage, I wasn't rude but I pointed out that it wasn't a jumbo sausage. After trying to tell me that it was a jumbo sausage he then told me “If you don't like it you can go! What do you expect for two Euros fifty, anyway?”. There are three answers to that. Firstly, I expect to be served what the board outside says I will be served. Secondly, I don't want to pay two Euros fifty and only receive what other places are selling for one Euro fifty. Thirdly, if I am polite and respectful to you, I expect you to be polite to me.

I realise that these guys might have had three months of working 16-hour-days at this point, but things like that can spoil your whole holiday. To balance out these two negative experiences we had dozens of great experiences, and we really love the Greek people and their outlook on life. We enjoyed our holiday in Marmaris in Turkey but this holiday in Greece was definitely better, and we will certainly be coming back again. PRs are a great source of useful information, so don't be afraid to ask them plenty of random questions when they are trying to entice you into the bar or restaurant that they represent; both Yiannis of The Real Greek Souvlaki Bar and Amanda of Restaurant Olympia, for example, provided an enormous amount of useful advice during our stay.

You will be bitten by insects, so take plenty of insect repellent and something to soothe bites (aftershave worked surprisingly well to stop the itching). They only provided one toilet roll for a week, but we took some out with us anyway, we also took some towels and a pillow with us.

Staying in an apartment suited us much better than having a hotel room, we felt far more in control and although we didn't cook anything ourselves, we still saved a lot of money by sitting out on our veranda, drinking cheap cans of lager from the “supermarket”, nibbling on paprika-flavoured TUC biscuits and watching the world go by.

Our cleaning lady was brilliant, she didn't ever come in whilst we were in the apartment, even though we stayed in bed until midday on some occasions. There was no cleaner on the day that we had arrived at 2am, but for all the other six days our floor was mopped with bleach, the sheets were changed, rubbish removed and the used bog-roll bin was emptied. When we had gone on a day-trip to Paxos/Antipaxos it rained in Kavos, we had left a couple of our T-shirts out on the line to dry and the cleaning lady brought them in for us when it started raining. Small touches like that make all the difference.

We considered air conditioning to be essential, so we paid 45 Euros for that for the week. Christos initially set it to 18 degrees but we found that was a little bit too cold, so we adjusted it to 22 degrees which suited us a lot better. The air conditioning unit was beautifully quiet, and certainly much quieter than in our hotel in Turkey. Our apartment had double glazing, which helped to reduce the night-time noise from the clubs on the strip.

We decided to also invest 20 Euros for a safety deposit box. To extend our accommodation on the last day was 10 Euros per person to extend it until 6pm, or 15 Euros per person to extend it until 9pm. We paid 20 Euros and kept the room until 6pm, but it was quite feasible to leave your luggage out by the table tennis table from midday until your transfer coach arrived, if you preferred.

This is not luxury accommodation but it is not priced as luxury accommodation, either, and for what we paid we consider it to offer amazingly good value for money. We love the laid-back Greek attitude to life, they make excellent hosts and we will definitely be coming back again. Efharisto poli!"

• Travel date: Wed 25th of September 2013

Ideal location for Kavos

It won't be as scorching hot in September, and when it rains here you definitely know that it's raining. We averaged 28 to 30 degrees when we were here in mid-September, with two out of the seven days being cloudy/rainy. If you are turned on by Manc, Scouse or Geordie/Mackem accents then you are going to love this place, and the vast majority of people here were Brits. For some reason the Greeks seem to really like Brits, we generally found them to be very generous and honest and if you take an interest in their language/traditions/food they really appreciate it.

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of September 2013

Not Impressed

"Large Pool? all it take is for a pair of people to play ball and this is full up, any description i have read does not state that someone died in this pool the year before i stayed, we spent a week feelin threatened by this hotel 'suitable for families' when spoke about why we were informed that this was because we stayed 'towards the end of the season.' if this was the case then surely such rude people shoudl not be running a hotel like this. We were constantly being shouted at, and threated by calling the police. The maid visited the room once, and which such means of disposing of toilet paper this was not enough. No matter how you showered or how careful you was the bathroom flooded and became very slippery as there was no bath mat supplied. the cuttlery was in an awful condition with stains and dried on food 'encrusted onto it'

Would not recommend, un-helpful rep too"

• Travel date: Mon 24th of September 2012

Review below is a load of rubbish

"I can honestly say having read the review below about the owners being aggressive and racist is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever read in my entire life. The owners of this lovely hotel are the some of the kindest most lovely people you will come across. I also suggest the authors learn to spell and from the sounds of it some manners as well. From the minute we checked in the whole experience was nothing but pleasant. There were guests of all races, genders and sexuality staying here and there is no hint of and kind of hatred towards any of these people. Thanks to the very friendly and kind family who own this hotel there was nothing but a warm sense of community between guest and staff alike. The complex is clean and well maintained. Any small problems that arose were dealt with straight away with no fuss. I would have no hesitation staying in the Olive Grove again and this is down to the excellent staff at this family run business."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of September 2012

Do not go here owners agressive and racist!!!!! Traveled with familey!!!

"Me, my husband and our 4yrs old daughter Arrived on the 1st of september 2012! For our 5th year anniversy. For a short familey break, the experience was great, as our daughter is staring school soon. This is a self catering holiday that my mother in law booked as a gift. Apon arrivel we thought that this would be a safe and comfortable place to stay. We arrived at 3 am. After we had some rest we went to take a shower. We had no choice but to use one of our body towels to stop us from slipping (there wasnt any bath mat and water went every were) we realised when we me and my daughter slipped fell in the bathroom(very dangerous!!). the kitchen: we wanted to cook a meal then realised that we cant cook properley as we only had one hob working, we told our rep the same day. as we had to have a meeting. he told us that it will be sorted by the next day ( jotting it down in his diary). The owners seemed extremely friendly as we were guest, we had breakfast most mornings with them and took pictures! But little did we know it, this was all going to change! On departure we were to check out at 12midday, (but as perents we are very organised And tried to explain 4 days earlier that we do not mind paying extra money to stay untill our flight departs at 1am because of our child). My husband went down to the reception to speak to the receptionist. (as we were told to do so by the cleaner) the lady said ""give me 25eurs'" for us untill 11.pm as we are taking the night flight back home at 1 am. We then felt that every thing was fine, 10pm came and we had a knock on our door we were having dinner with another familey with two children (one 5yrs and one 4 months ) on our room balcony. they then came and told us to get the f""" out there room in front of our Children! Calling us all racial names, (as we were trying to explain to them that we paid till 11pm) they threatend us with pepper spray, they got there whole familey to chase us down the road pretending to kick us down, (dropping our suitcases) . shouting at us like we were in military!!!!! ( in front our kids!!!) nearly pushed us down the stairs!!! With our baby'S in our hand! (kicking the other family's rental car as she was triying to put the baby in the car, setting there dog for us. When I got on the main strip no one would tell us how to fone the police.( every one said I had to pay to fone them, then realised I can fone them for free the most scary experience!!!) We were all in tears as we didn't think this would happen to us. ( just got back home thank god) !
Stayed September 2012

• Travel date: Wed 12th of September 2012

Brilliant!

"I stayed at the Olive Grove Trees Apartments in July 2011 and had the best holiday ever! At 17, it was the first holiday myself and my 2 best girlfriends were away together alone. The staff and reps were extremely helpful! The rep made an effort to contact us at the poolside bar every day. Even when our light fizzled out (because we accidentally left it on all night) and I lost our safety deposit box key, all they wanted to do was help and give us free shots! A safety deposit box and air conditioning are all payable by the reception and totally worth it!

The only downside is there isn't much kitchen equipment in the rooms apart from a travel hob, fridge, some cutlery & plates and a sink. However, as there were more than enough restaurants in the strip we dined there every night and lived on pringles and cereal during the day from the supermarket just outside the hotel.

The location was perfect! Just on the edge of the strip so there wasn't a trek to get to any bars, but it was just far enough away from the main bars and clubs that stay open until the crack of dawn for it to be quiet when you want it to be. However, the beach isn't terribly close, it did take about 10-15 minutes to walk in the heat but the beach wasn't exactly spectacular. You'd be better off hanging around by the pool.

I will definitely be returning here in the future!"

• Travel date: Wed 11th of January 2012

Rep let us down again

"We have just come back from 2 weeks in the Olive Grove 23rd September -7th October . Weather was fantastic hot every day ,however as there were not very many people in the resort of Kavos we were biten very badly by mosquitos every day . I came back with over 40 bites. The rooms were very basic with a travel hob in the kitchen. We were in room 18 (up stairs on the left hand side as you came into the complex) For the first week we were woken up every morning at between 4am and 5am by 6 idiots below us. They would put music on(loudly) and continue to party ,then they would then sleep for a couple of hours 9am to 12 pm and then start again. This was reported to the rep and owners who instead of asking them if they would keep the noise down asked us if we wanted to move rooms!As per usual the rep let us down (we went to kos on an Olympic holiday about 4 yrs ago!) by not informing us that the resort would be closing down as it was end of season i.e every day a bar or restaurant would close. By the last day (Thursday 6th October ) there was only 2 karaoke bars ,the Fountine bar ,the Argey Bargy ( Chinese / Indian ) restaurant and Eve's restaurant-and these all closed on the Thursday even the bar at Olive Grove ran out of beer. .As the last day was Friday the 7th October and no further people were arriving in the resort or at Olive Grove you would have thought we would have been able to have our rooms kept free of charge till our coach arrived but they wanted 10 euros per person to keep room till 6pm saying they still had to pay for a cleaner that day ,as this was the last day wouldn't it be better if the cleaner came back on the Saturday and let us have the rooms f.o.c !!! How ever ,we hired a car out for 3 days so we did make sure we had a nice time and also we met some nice people. Over all i don't think we will be going back to Kavos ,not because it was a young peoples resort ,but because of the Olympic holiday rep who was rude and un helpful."

• Travel date: Thu 13th of October 2011

you get what you pay for

"During my time in Olive grove in september 2011 I was physically attacked by the night watchman. I am a aged 18 female and only 5ft, and i was deeply upset by the attack. during the attack the man pushed my forcefully 3times and then after learning that we were staying in the hoetl he justified his actions by saying we were being noisey.
the rooms are old fashioned and basic, our shower flooded every day and we had a travel hob in the kitchen. there is a balcony which the whole floor shares and our room door did not lock (when we reported this to our rep he did nothing). the atmosphere of the hotel is okay but i was grateful to only be there for a week. during our stay we be-friended people within the hotel and they told us their hotel room was great, we then visited their room and it looked like a different hotel. the rooms at the back of the hotel are well decorated however i would not return due to the lack of action about the night watchman.
i recommend young women not to go to this hotel. "

• Travel date: Sun 11th of September 2011

Love Love Loveeee

"For my holiday it was perfect and exactly what me and my friends needed. 11 18year old girls went July 2010 and had the best time ever. Im not sure what families (especially young ones) would enjoy Kavos as a destination but I think they'd still like Olive Grove.
I think they did a big refurbishment before the summer because everywhere looked freshly painted and really clean. The rooms were basic, but that meant we didnt have alot to break! Small bathroom, kitchen and conjoining balconies. It was very green and the pool/bar areas wasn't claustrophobic and again clean. They put us in apartments on the 1st floor, and I dont know whether this was intentional because we were all girls but we felt safe. The location of the place is perfect, on the end of the strip so that you dont have hundreds of people going past the place and yet you can still get to the centre of everything in 3minutes. Also means youre not walking in the dark late alon late at night to get back.
The people that ran the place were lovely to us, found us extra sunbeds on the one day we ran out,rescued a friends dress off the roof when it blew off the balcony.
All in all I think its perfect for groups of teenagers! and definitely great value for money, I've stayed in alot more expensive places on family holidays with very similar standards.

Oh and in terms of Kavos generally; Crash Bar, Rolling Stone, Buzz, Rodneys Watermelons, and Olympus are all amazing. Drinks ridiculously cheap, especially if you're in a big group as they'll often to bulk deals to get your custom and to get the places looking full :)"

• Travel date: Mon 31st of January 2011

Wow

"8 girls and I stayed in the Olive tree appartments in the middle of August and would highly recommend it to any party goers. The rooms provided all the essentials and our friends staying at another hotel said that our appartments were like "mansions" compared to theirs. The pool was ideal and the food by the pool was so yummy. The people who ran it were so lovely and always happy to help. The location was perfect, it was situated just off of the strip, which prevented any of the noise keeping you awake, and yet it was near enough to walk in and out of the centre of the strip within 5 minutes. We would happily return to Olive tree x"

• Travel date: Thu 16th of September 2010

A cheap, cheerful and a friendly place for young people.

Good

"Me and two other mates all 19 stayed at the olive grove trees at the end of august, we found the accomodation was basic but met our needs of a place for a base we had a litle kitchen to cook which we did a couple of times, but we found it was cheaper to go out most of the time. We found the best breakfast was at the forum bar where we got an english breakfast and a cup of coffee/orange juice for 3 euro 50, which was about as cheap as it comes and the food we couldnt complain with. Eating in the evening the best place we went to was the tex mex reteraunt which served some of the best chicken wraps i have ever had, and the most freshly made cocktails we had on the holiday, however this was a bit more expensive, but well worth it there are also plenty of places to eat out on a budget and pr's always offer deals. Althugh the pr's might seem annoying to some people we found if you stop and listen to there offer you find the best offers and had a bitof a laugh with them, it didnt take long for a few of them to recognise us. For drinking we found it best to walk to the other end of the strip and make our way back towards the apartment, that we way we made a night of it eating and drinking, we found the best places were stonned cafe/bar this had a good offer with cocktails and other drinks to get us warmed up for the night, and the fountain bar if we wanted a quiter drink the fountain bar served the best cocktails at a good price for 3 euros and usually gave us a shot with each coaktail so not to bad. during the day we went to the beach and found the best beaches were outside of kavos so we took a bit of a walk to find some cleaner beaches to chill out during the day, and you generally find if you go out of the strip things are cleaner but that is to be expected, but to really experience the island you have to go out of the main strip and off the beat and track to find some nice places, other days we sat by the pool in the apartments which was very well maintained and clean and a good place to meet other people staying at the apartments and talk about the night before etc, also the pool bar served some decent food and drinks taht we again couldnt complain with, and the owners were very helpful of any information you needed whilst the olympic reps werent around, the holiday reps were fair enough they gave us the information we needed but we did not really see them much after the first day, the only trips we can recomend is the booze cruise as this gives you a trip to mainland grecce a brilliant bbq meal and drinks on the beach as well as plenty of fun and games in the afternoon for a fair price we paid around 50 euros and thought it was well worth it. overall we come back feeling like we had an amazing holiday it was the first "lads holiday" we had been on and we are glad we chose Kavos as the place is generally friendly and full of people just going to have a laugh and a good time. W e enjoyed it that much we think we will go back again. hope this information helps. "

• Travel date: Wed 1st of September 2010

Hotels near Olive Grove Resort

Stayed at Olive Grove Resort? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Olive Grove Resort

• tmmilliken by tmmilliken

"Kavos is great for the young and reckless looking for loud party fun! "

• tmmilliken by tmmilliken

"Don't miss TKD's, Drunken Squid, Forum Bar, Aristos, The Taverna and the Chinese Restaurant! "

• Janine2527 by Janine2527

"Only go if you're up for great nightlife and lots of noise!!! "

• Janine2527 by Janine2527

"TKD's restaurant and the Blue Lagoon trip "

• trebor by trebor

"Take a bog roll/and protect your self in all aspects "

• sjc by sjc

"great location for party goers "

• bartie_boy by bartie_boy

"A brilliant place for people who are looking for young and lively holidays with friends. "

• tammycat by tammycat

"Explain in the description for all apartments that the resort starts to close down mid September (and not the small print at the back of the broucher) "

• sunoffabeach by sunoffabeach

"Much quieter in September "

• sunoffabeach by sunoffabeach

"Much quieter in September "

• Paul H by Paul H

"Be socialable and talk to staff and other holiday makers "

Olive Grove Resort is also called