Valtos Beach & Gogozotos Residence

great place to stay

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"If you are considering Parga as a holiday destination then the Valtos Beach Hotel is well worth considering. Its over the hill from Parga Town, about a 20 minute walk. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the owners are very hospitable. The location is set back from the beach in a wonderful setting, ideal for a morning on the beach, a spot of lunch in the taverna, back on the beach , then a dip in the pool, what more could you ask . Plenty of tavernas besides the hotels, which is very good, in Parga. Overall for a week in the sun, fantastic"

• Travel date: Wed 26th of September 2007

The Earth Moved for Us!!

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"The Valtos Beach Hotel is located at the bottom of the hill next to a busy little road, leading to the beach. This is however not a problem as the accommodation is set back far enough, which keeps noise to a minimum.

The hotel is family run and the two brothers run the show to a very high standard.

The hotel set on a hill side and does not have a lift - so therefore only suitable for people without walking disabilities.

The food in the hotel taverna is excellent and cheaper than in Parga itself.

To get to Parga entails a 15min walk up over a hill which requires good shoes, as the stone path is steep and slippery.

Our stay was very good and the Hotel is kept very clean from the rooms to the pool. It location so close to the beach means that the pool area ( which is small) does not get to busy and if there no sun beds left - you can go onto the beach which is 100m away where you will find plenty of sun beds.

We were there for a week and the first 5 days were great. However what happened next was not so good, By the way this is nothing to do with the Hotel as you will see.

At 2100hrs we were just about to leave the room to walk up the hill to the great tavernas that look over the bay. The room started to shake violently and we suddenly realized that we were experiencing an earthquake (5.9 on the R scale). This was the most frightening experience of my life and both I and my wife ran out of our room with no clear idea of what we would do next.

The Hotel to its credit suffered no structural damage, as we later found out that all building out in this area are designed to take an earthquake up to 8 on the scale.

We left the Hotel in a hurry grabbing money and passports. We were reluctant to go back to the room an stayed out in the open. This was lucky as we had a second severe tremor at 0100 hrs which was a second earthquake. We did venture back to our room at 0400 hrs but we had an aftershock (1st of 10) at about 0630. My wife beat me to the door and we ended up back on the beach watching the sun come up.

From that point on we stayed outside as much as possible a slept with clothes on when we did go back to the room.

Now we are back and having goggled earthquake in Greece we are more that aware that this is a fairly common phenomena, which personally I could do without. Therefore we will not be going back to Parga or any other part of Greece.

This of course has nothing to do with the Voltas beach Hotel and if you are planning a trip you will have a good time and I do hope the earth moves for you when you are there but not in the way it did for us."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of July 2007

Beautiful Views, Fab location

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"We stayed at the Valtos Beach Hotel June 2007 for our honeymoon. We travelled with First Choice.

We had a large self catering apartment with beautiful sea views (room 144). We also found the room quiet (unlike many hotels) and it was lovely waking to hear the sound of the waves lapping. The hotel is well kept and very clean. We prefer to spend the day on the beach, which the hotel is well located for. The pool area is quite small and sometimes did get fairly busy. Though the sun beds are comfy and pool very nice. The two brothers are very friendly and helpful.

This is probably the best hotel we've stayed in whilst in Greece, though we did pay quite a bit more than usual seeing as it was for our honeymoon. One word of warning. I emailed prior to arrival to see if we could have some wine/fruit in our room as a surprise for hubby (we got married the the day before arriving) I was thrilled when the reply back said yes no problem. We were very impressed, until we checked out and the bus was due to arrive in ten minutes, and we were told we owed 30 euro for the wine and fruit! So be warned! This was not mentioned when I made the request, nor at all during our 2 week stay. Bit annoying as we know many hotels do offer this for free. Anyway, aside from that, I dont think you'd be disappointed with this hotel.

A 10 minute walk up a fairly step slope and steps to Parga Castle (which is well worth visiting for the views) and another 10 minutes down hill to Parga Town. We did this walk and back at least once every day and towards the end, in the heat, it was hard work! Beautiful views though and shops to look at. You can also get cabs or water taxis. Parga is a lovely town with many good restaurants and bars. We particularly enjoyed Bachos, Zorbas and Dionysus. Our favourite cocktail bar was il Posto - the cocktails are amazing!

We also used the dive centre twice, which was very friendly and professional - though the shop etc may not give that impression. We went on a boat trip to Paxos, on the Queen Mary. There was no commentary so we were often wondering where exactly we were! A good day though, and Paxos is worth visiting. The train to Ali Pasha's Castle is OK, but it felt quite a long time sitting on the train, and the stop in the village felt a bit pointless.

We will definately return to Parga. We had a beautiful honeymoon and it was just what we were looking for. There's plenty to do and the harbour area is great, whilst it still retains it's Greek charm. We would also return to the Valtos Beach Hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of July 2007

We have just returned from spending 2 we...

Reviewed Wed 27th of June 2007

"We have just returned from spending 2 weeks in Parga. We stopped at the Valtos beach hotel and everything surpassed our expectations.

The location was excellent and we had a fantastic view of the beach from our room

We booked on a self catering basis; the room was very well equipped and cleaned on daily. We were made to feel very welcome by the Gozo family

Parga and the surrounding area's are stunning we recommend that you hire a car and discover all the little beaches where you can spend all day and not see another sole. We also spent the day in nearby Sivota which is a lovely harbour where you can sit and just watch the world go buy.

We were delighted with the holiday and hope to return; just one word of warning Parga has a lot of steps which would be a problem if you have any walking difficulties."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of June 2007

Couldn’t fault this Hotel at all. We a...

Reviewed Fri 15th of June 2007

"Couldn’t fault this Hotel at all. We are a family of 3 or son being 5 years old. What a beautiful setting overlooking the beach and swimming pool.

The family welcomed us all and our son was quite taken with the very friendly waiter "Alex.” We will definitely go back to this hotel again but for 2 weeks instead of 1.

Having stayed in Parga Town many years ago we were longing to go back to this jewel of a place. As we stayed on the other side from the Main Town it was like a completely different holiday but in the same resort.

I would recommend this hotel to all families and couples alike who are looking for a tranquil holiday set in an idyllic setting."

• Travel date: Fri 15th of June 2007

Marcos and Christos are like the Mitchel...

Good
Reviewed Mon 23rd of October 2006

"Marcos and Christos are like the Mitchell brothers, they run it as a business so do not expect typical Greek hospitality. None of the family speak unless you are spending money, Christos is the friendly one out of the two.

The accommodation though you cannot fault it is spotlessly clean and they clean everything down every morning without failure including the pool.

Again family run hotel they only want your money none of the family and partners are friendly and would go to Parga again but not that hotel as at night time it is boring with no entertainment whatsoever as they say it’s not what every one wants totally disappointed."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of October 2006

We have just stayed at Valtos Beach Hote...

Reviewed Mon 18th of September 2006

"We have just stayed at Valtos Beach Hotel for the first two weeks in September. Parga was fantastic and so was this hotel. The Gogozotos family couldn't be more helpful and welcoming. Also, Alex the ever pleasant waiter and barman.

We booked a studio rather than hotel room with bed and breakfast. This was in the newer part of the hotel and had fantastic views, although I have to say all the rooms would have had great views.

The maid service was fantastic and the standard of cleanliness superb. There was a walk up and over past the castle, which I thought would put me off going in to Parga, however it didn't. If you didn't feel like walking there are water taxis and also the hotel will ring for a taxi to take you into town. The taxi was 4 euros every time. Very reasonable.

If you do want to walk over, you pass numerous tavernas, shops and bars and the experience is fantastic. Take your flat shoes though, the walk back down can be a bit slippy

We will be going back again next year!!!

• Travel date: Mon 18th of September 2006

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Valtos B...

Reviewed Sun 2nd of July 2006

"I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Valtos Beach Hotel in Parga. Nickos and Christos were extremely friendly and saw to my every need. The hotel was split on different levels which made it very different and interesting, not your normal every day hotel.

The Gogozotos family in all were lovely and always took time out to talk to me. I was on my own and did not at any stage feel uncomfortable.

The beach was beautiful. The walk over the hill to Parga certainly kept me fit during my stay, but it was very enjoyable. Nobody at any restaurant made me feel like I should eat there, no hassling at all. If you did eat there, then they would come out and speak to you another night... but never make you feel that you had to go back. I really enjoyed Flisvos, on the hill (the Involtini was delicious). What a beautiful view overlooking Valtos bay whilst I dined (yes, alone and very happily comfortable).

I would never eat out alone in England, but in Greece, I was made to feel so welcome that I really did enjoy it.

It's not a night club place, but there are late bars if you want. Lovely small Greek streets, fantastic. Plenty of restaurants hiding away down these streets, you really must find them. I never got to eat in Parga harbour as there were so many restaurants on the hill with fabulous views.

I went on the little train trip to Ali Pasha's castle... boy was that fun and only 8 euros. Also a boat trip to Anti-Paxos and Paxos, which again, at 15 euros, was fantastic. Don't book through First Choice, just go along to the harbour, there are plenty of boats to choose from.

Well, I could really go back there... but I do want to experience other Greek places. Maybe I'll return in a few years. I just know that I'll be comparing other places to Parga, I hope my future holidays live up to this standard.

Enjoy, relax and be happy."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of July 2006

Valtos Beach Hotel is excellent and I wo...

Reviewed Sun 31st of July 2005

"Valtos Beach Hotel is excellent and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it. It’s location is great, right on the beach with lovely views from the pool/bar area and hotel rooms.

The Gogozotos family, who own and run the hotel, are very friendly and hospitable. They made everybody feel at home, made a point of meeting and greeting you when you arrived and going out of their way to say goodbye when you left. All the staff seem to have been picked for their friendly dispositions too!

The accommodation is very comfortable and clean with maid service every day. The rooms are nice, but small by comparison to the studio/apartments - ok for couples but if taking the children, make sure you book a studio/apartment to give you some space.

Food at the hotel was excellent. Breakfasts were a nice mix of cooked and continental but got a bit samey after two weeks. I can’t recommend the Kleftiko and Moussaka highly enough (how do they do that lovely topping on the Moussaka?).

You’ll be spoilt for choice for restaurants in Valtos and Parga. Our favourites were Captains (Valtos beach), Rudis, Castellas and the Chinese by the harbour, in Parga itself. Castros, near the entrance to the castle was the best place for photos as well as good food. Recommend the Blue Bar for cocktails (in particular the Orange Blossoms!).

Downsides: few and far between really. The amount of steps to some of the rooms at the hotel and the challenging (but very pretty) walk across the headland into Parga town might not appeal to everybody and the brochure should probably be more proactive in pointing this out. The water taxis to and from Parga harbour are regular and can cover most journeys if you prefer the easier option.

We had a great time, met some lovely families and loved the place. It’s a photographer’s dream and we have a full memory stick to prove it!"

• Travel date: Sun 31st of July 2005

Valtos Beach Hotel is excellent and I wo...

Reviewed Sun 31st of July 2005

"Valtos Beach Hotel is excellent and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it. It's location is great, right on the beach with lovely views from the pool/bar area and hotel rooms.

Food at the hotel was excellent. Breakfasts were a nice mix of cooked and continental but got a bit samey after two weeks. I can't recommend the Kleftiko and Moussaka highly enough (how do they do that lovely topping on the Moussaka?).

We had a great time, met some lovely families and loved the place. It's a photographer’s dream and we have a full memory stick to prove it!

• Travel date: Sun 31st of July 2005

This was our first trip to Greece and we...

Reviewed Sat 30th of April 2005

"This was our first trip to Greece and we are now hooked.

The Valtos Beach Hotel is wonderful, from the moment we arrived Nickos and Christos and their family made us feel so welcome. The rooms are clean and quite large, with amazing views over Valtos beach.

The food is great in the hotel and we found no shortage of other local great places to eat. We recommend you walk up the hill, which goes to Parga, and choose a restaurant overlooking the bay at sunset. We went first week of the season so no Water Ferry running to Parga therefore we are now very fit. The walk is a steady 30 minutes stroll up hill to Parga, with steps coming back up from the town.

The only thing we would not do again is the boat trip to Paxos and Antipaxos arranged through First Choice, not impressed. Do try the little train/bus from Parga to Ali Pasha's castle only 7 euros.

I cannot even fault anything about First Choice flights and representatives. Have a great time."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of April 2005

Great Holiday. First time to mainland. v...

Reviewed Sat 31st of July 2004

"Great Holiday. First time to mainland. very impressed. good holiday , helpful staff Nickos and Christos. accommodation great and location. beach good for swimming. Yes will be back next year. all the nightlife you want in Parga town. the walk into Parga hard if you are not fit..

will be back if any one has found our flip flops spotty you are lucky.

The Potters and his harem..

Thanks Christos for a great holiday"

• Travel date: Sat 31st of July 2004