The Grand is super. Just returned from a...

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2007

"The Grand is super. Just returned from a great week there.

It is true that the Dining Room is huge, and therefore somewhat impersonal, but the food was excellent and the choice remarkable. We also tried the Italian and Chinese restaurants (both excellent) and the Hotel allowed us to do so without any extra charge.

The only criticism we have is that the pools were very cold but that was to be expected late October. It was just a pity that the indoor pool was not heated as once or twice that would have been nice

We would not hesitate to return.

We felt the comparatively small extra cost of a sea view well worth paying."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of November 2007

As previous posters have said, although...

Reviewed Fri 19th of October 2007

"As previous posters have said, although classed as a 5 Star Hotel, the Mitsis Grand Hotel is really comparable to a UK 3 Star or Overseas 4 Star Hotel (think Iberostar). If you bear this in mind when making your booking you won't be disappointed. Built in the 1960's, The Grand maintains its original elegant appearance from the outside which continues when you enter the sumptuous foyer and reception area. It is only when you enter the long, blandly decorated corridors (think hospital wards) and the actual rooms and suites that you begin to see that it is long overdue a renovation. That said, all rooms are adequate size wise and are clean with loads of wardrobe space and the maid service is extremely good. The bathrooms are looking very dated now but again, they are functional and clean. Both of the outdoor pools are clean and well appointed with sun beds and the indoor pool is similarly attired.

Staff are friendly and helpful and most have a good command of the English language. The food in the Buffet Restaurant is of a good standard although as some posters have already mentioned, you do sometimes have to queue at peak times for both breakfast and dinner. The menus are varied and generally there is something to suit everyone. We tried both the Italian and Chinese Restaurants but found them to be inferior to what one would get at home in the UK. Wine is extremely expensive when ordered with a meal (19Euros for a basic House Red, White or Rose) and water is charged at 3Euros which again, is expensive when compared to the cost charged by local tavernas.

Location wise, a stay at the Grand is excellent for walking to both the New and Old Towns - 15mins and 20mins respectively. The Old Town is fantastic to visit at night with street performers adding to the flavour of this ancient part of the island. Places worth a visit are Lindos (avoid the tours at 22Euros - a return trip on the local bus costs 9Euros), Archangelous, Anthony Quinn Bay and the area around Mandraki Harbour in the New Town/Old Town seafront. Taxis are cheap compared to the UK but the introduction of the Euro has seen prices shoot up when compared to the Drachma of just a few years ago. Good quality Silver and Gold together with Leather Goods are now more expensive than the UK which is a real shame as pre 2002, there were some real bargains to be had. The 'tat' is still available in many areas although the fake designer goods are 3 times more expensive than before so beware!

Go to Rhodes with an open mind and you won't be disappointed. The sun shines every day and the people are friendly and polite. It's a safe environment for children with serious crime almost non-existent.

Would I go to Rhodes again and would I stay at the Grand? Yes, I probably would although, having also been to Kos, the latter gets my vote for sampling authentic Dodecanese life without the ever increasing 'kiss me quick' culture that is spreading throughout Rhodes as a means to making a fast buck (or Euro)."

• Travel date: Fri 19th of October 2007

Nice hotel, very clean, good food, staff...

Reviewed Thu 30th of August 2007

"Nice hotel, very clean, good food, staff helpful, easy to walk to old and new town. Have been to various places in Greece many times and this was the nicest accommodation we've stayed in.

Restaurant offered good choice but no atmosphere - it was an in, eat, out production line, which I suppose is to be expected when they are catering for 1000 people per night - the Chinese and Italian options are worth a go though. The charge of 3 euros a bottle for water with dinner was steep - this should have been provided.

There were 3 pools (plus a small one for children) and we mainly used the big round one at the back - safe for children as it was salty sea water and very buoyant, although you have to get there early to grab a sunbed.

Our room overlooked the tennis court and the view could have been better, but we only used the room to sleep in. Beds were OK, and my daughter's camp bed was comfortable enough.

The beach is just across the road and stony, but we always prefer the pool anyway. Staff provided coathangers within an hour of requesting them, and were generally polite and friendly. "

• Travel date: Thu 30th of August 2007

Excellent hotel. Good service and very p...

Reviewed Sun 26th of August 2007

"Excellent hotel. Good service and very polite staff. Very clean with change of towels everyday. Food very good with enormous choice along with the Chinese and Italian restaurants which you have to book 24hrs in advance. Yes, as some comments before this have mentioned, you do have to wait and be seated at meal times, but who cares -you're on holiday and you're not in a rush and even so you are not kept waiting for long. The dining room is nice, bright and clean, the tables are quite close together though, but it does at least make you say 'hello' even if you can't speak the same language!

The hotel is close to old Rhodes town (about 20 min) and around the corner is a good choice of bars and restaurants. Everywhere you go - shops, restaurants, bars people are very polite and keen to please. Would we go back -definitely. Thank you The Grand for an excellent holiday."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of August 2007

This hotel is excellent and I will defin...

Reviewed Fri 13th of July 2007

"This hotel is excellent and I will definitely be going back. Very clean rooms cleaned every day and towels changed every day.

The food in the restaurant was really good with plenty of choice. Staff were pleasant. Two outdoor swimming pools with plenty of shade and very clean.

The location of the hotel is excellent and we paid extra for a sea view which was worthwhile as the sun set opposite our room every night. Handy for bars shops and restaurants and about a 20 minute walk to the old town.

The only problem we had was with the air conditioning which was fixed once we advised reception of the problem. The hotel could do with upgrading of the bedrooms but they were comfortable and clean."

• Travel date: Fri 13th of July 2007

We (2 and, 4 children 4-11) stayed the f...

Reviewed Sun 8th of April 2007

"We (2 and, 4 children 4-11) stayed the first week of the season. Overall an excellent stay and enjoyed the hotel.

We booked two rooms facing the sea, but the howling wind made the rooms cold. We asked for a move and were given two rooms facing the front but out of the wind.

The move was done with no fuss and lots of help. We found the rooms spacious and adequate for our needs.

The food was good. A buffet-style arrangement with good choice and local dishes. I would imagine the room can get packed at peak times but we had no problems with food and big breakfasts and evening meals meant we were well set for our days out.

We didn't use the hotel during the day. Our biggest complaint would be there was no children's games room.

The staff were friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble for them.

The location is good for the town, and we were able to walk round the town with ease from here. The beach across the road is a pebble beach which didn't bother us but may bother some.

We went on day trips most of the time, and went round Rhodes town and the old crusader town several times.

If that's your type of holiday then I can thoroughly recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of April 2007

I've never been to a 5 star hotel before...

Reviewed Fri 6th of October 2006

"I've never been to a 5 star hotel before but I've been to some 4* and they were all much better than the Grand, meaning that the Grand is at best a 3* hotel.

We arrived yesterday from a 7 day stay at this hotel and I'm thankful to be home at last!

My bed at the hotel was terrible, there was some problem with the mattress, and it was very hard and uneven. I asked them for a mattress change and they were very kind at the lobby, saying that was not a problem and they would do it. What they did was place a blanket between the mattress and the sheets. 7 sleepless nights!!

The lobby is very promising but already in the corridors to our room I saw this was a place which needed some serious renewal. All the wooden parts were worn off, scratched and looking old. The refrigerator in the room stopped working twice during our stay, the TV set was a 14'' old thing with a very bad reception (sometimes only in black and white). In the wardrobe, one of the drawers was stained with moist and two others were stuck and wouldn't open. The bathtub was long enough but too narrow. They didn't change sheets everyday neither refill or replace the soap and shampoo (it's a good thing we brought some from home).

Our room was with a view to the swimming pool and faced towards a very noisy street, so we had to sleep with the windows closed and the air-conditioning on.
We paid for half board, and we thought that dinner was completely included; but we had to pay extra for our water every night. There were taps with cold water during breakfast time but they were covered at dinner time and you are not allowed to bring water with you so, had to pay 3 Euros for a bottle of water, when outside the same quantity cost 0.30 Euros.

There is indeed a safe in the room but you have to pay 25 Euros for the key!
The hotel "offers" a show twice a week and at the lobby we were told that it was for free, but in reality you are only allowed to watch it if you buy drinks (at the bar's exorbitant prices).

The hotel offers NO recreation whatsoever, except for an old tennis court (only until 8 PM) and three swimming pools. A very cold one and 2 ice cold ones. There is a sauna (6 Euros) and a small gym (6 Euros). So if you are over 60 you may enjoy yourself. I am "only" 53 and too young for this hotel.

And now the good things: the service is very good, the waiters and cleaning lady were very nice. Food at breakfast was good but didn't change during the whole week. The dinner buffet was excellent most of the days but the Chinese restaurant was a bad experience, so we were afraid to try the Italian.

As you can understand, I didn't have a good time, so my holidays in Rhodes ware ruined. But people in Rhodes are nice to tourists and it is a beautiful place. I especially liked the owner of a souvenir shop located at the back street from the hotel (turn left as you leave the hotel, then left and left again) , the cheapest prices I found in Rhodes and a very beautiful collection of hand painted pictures.

Kind regards to all

Esther Rosenhek

• Travel date: Fri 6th of October 2006

We have staid in many 4/5 star hotels ar...

Reviewed Thu 28th of September 2006

"We have staid in many 4/5 star hotels around the Mediterranean but this one is not a 5 star. I would rate it as 5 star in terms of building, location and facilities. In terms of service and particularly the hot, noisy, overcrowded, canteen like dining arrangements I would not rate it above 3 star. We had booked 2 weeks half board but the second week we ate out because we found the dining arrangement so poor.

On arrival there was no room available and we were put into a 3 star hotel for the first night and when I complained the Accommodation Manager said that “in common with many hotel in around the Mediterranean they overbook and it was hard luck that we had no room” and when our Son and Daughter arrived later in the week they would have been in the same position had I not had serious words with the hotel manager – not what I know as 5 star treatment so beware, you may arrive to find you have no room.

If you are spending this sort of money I think you will be disappointed with this hotel

• Travel date: Thu 28th of September 2006

The hotel was chosen because of the faci...

Reviewed Wed 2nd of August 2006

"The hotel was chosen because of the facilities around it (The Old Town and Harbours). We were not disappointed. We went with our 14 year old son and he had a great time. The Hotel was not designed for older children and teenagers as there were no kids clubs or activities for them but this didn't bother us as we weren't looking for that. The restaurant was excellent and the food and service was as it should be at a 5* hotel. It has a separate Chinese and Italian restaurant available each night - which we really enjoyed.

The sea is very rough around this area so avoid it with small children (but good swimmers will have a blast in the high rollers!), instead go to the other side of the island where it is very calm.

We all loved the beautiful Anthony Quinns Bay and it was not overpopulated. The snorkeling was great and entertained our son for most of the day. He saw seahorses and starfish within paddling distance from the shore.

A car is a must on this island and having never hired a car on holiday before we were a bit nervous but it was very easy to get around and quite hard to get lost! Although we did manage that once! The local people are so friendly and willing. They were not pushy for you to spend your money with them in particular which can be very annoying.

We have never said that we would return to a holiday resort before as there are so many places in the world to visit but, we all said we want to go back to "Rodos"."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of August 2006

My partner and I found the hotel to be c...

Reviewed Fri 28th of July 2006

"My partner and I found the hotel to be clean and spacious and the staff friendly. The hotel is just across the road from the beach which had a wonderful cooling breeze and was never really that busy. The pool areas did get busy but I’ve never been away and seen loungers available after 9am! The restaurant was fantastic.

There was always plenty of variety and the Chinese and Italian restaurants (included in the half board price) were amazing. Be prepared to get a large serving they are certainly not tight on the portions! Men must wear full length trousers in the restaurant for dinner and be prepared to be turned away by the not so friendly manager if you're not!

As always with Greece their 5 star is not our 5 star but if you're comparing with 5 star in England or America you'll be disappointed. Expect a nice 3/4 star and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised as we were and have a fantastic holiday!"

• Travel date: Fri 28th of July 2006

The hotel is very well located for acces...

Reviewed Mon 23rd of January 2006

"The hotel is very well located for accessing the main tourist areas of Rhodes and has a nice beach opposite.

Though a 5 star hotel by Greek standards, it is somewhere between a 3 and a 4 star British hotel. The decoration in the main areas of the hotel was very nice and looked like it had recently been upgraded, however the insides of the lifts were covered in graffiti, something which gave a very negative impression. Also the indoor pool was not heated, something which seemed ridiculous in December! The rooms were large, clean and comfortable.

I felt that the standard of the staff was reasonable by Greek standards and we had no problems overall.

The standard of the food we had in the hotel was excellent, with a very good choice at the buffet in the evening. The cost of drinks in the hotel was very high, and so we only had drinks at dinner on one occasion, preferring to look for cheaper options outside.

Certainly for the price of our half board stay I would consider going again.

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of January 2006

Best Hotel by a Mile

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"As I walked around Rhodes Town about a month ago the Grand Hotel stood out by a mile. There wasn't a better hotel in the area. The staff were very friendly..no, correction, extremely friendly and the two pools were very nice. the hotel was the very clean, they had that right. The restraunt was nice enough but there were big queues for the hot meals. The 'Red Restraunt' just around the corner was superb with very nice food and staff. The OldTown was not far away and we went down there almost every night. The only thing I found annoying wasthe beach was peppled not sandy. But overall it was the best hotel I have ever stayed in for friendliness and cleanliness."

• Travel date: Thu 30th of June 2005