Good

Fantastic location for a Rhodes holiday

Reviewed Wed 27th of May 2009

"As all the other reviews for this hotel are so old I thought I'd better do an update! My husband and I bookedthis hotel, despite some grim reviews from this and other sites, as it was convenienbt for both the old and new town of Rhodes - and we were not disappointed. Its obvious that the hotel has had a makeover since the last reviews as out went the old carpets and in came laminate floors in the bedrooms! The room was a good size and although we overlooked the side of the hotel over the road it was peaceful and quiet with little or no road noise. The bathroom was small but adequate and the staff a delight to behold - always smiling and helpful, especially in the restaurant where they had to complete with less than average food. Breakfast was ok (apart from the chips!) but other than the salad bar which was large, the menu was uninspiring (even for a tourist hotel) and the chicken was overcooked and stringy - however these were minor complaints - the main one being that visitors were still allowed to smoke in the lobby/bar area which made it unpleasant for non-smokers. The hotel was only 15 mins stroll into the Old Town and 20 to the harbour and new town which was brilliant. Plenty places near the hotel to eat and drink. Would definately go there again - shame there was not a B+B option when we went."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of May 2009

Me and my partner stayed at the blue sky...

Reviewed Tue 10th of June 2008

"Me and my partner stayed at the blue sky hotel in August 2007 and we had a great stay. I would strongly recommend paying a few extra pounds to get a sea view as the views of the sea/sunset are simply amazing and this probably made our holiday 'excellent' rather than just 'good'. The hotels air-conditioning is brilliant and the sea breeze is really pleasant on this side of Rhodes Town. The food was ok (and what to be expected of a buffet to be totally honest) and we found the rooms to be clean and comfortable.

Rhodes is a great place to go on holiday and we found that there was plenty of things to do and see to keep us entertained. If you really want to be entertained then i would recommend going to a bar called 'tivoli bar' in the new town - it has a great atmosphere and the bar-man is great! A great place to go for lunch and sit and chill is the floating restaurant/bar in the harbour called 'kontiki'. This place has great views, does great food and makes fantastic drinks! It does amazing food in the evening, however, this is quite expensive compared to other places in rhodes but is well worth it.

The hotel is in a great location and overall we were really happy with the hotel and holiday. If we return to Rhodes then we would definately consider staying at this hotel again."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of June 2008

As a regular visitor to Rhodes I went fl...

Reviewed Sat 5th of April 2008

"As a regular visitor to Rhodes I went flight only and booked a hotel for myself and 2 family members. Unfortunately our hotel was closing mid-October so they transferred us to the Blue Sky. Initially I was pleased as this looks a lovely hotel. However it didn't take long for us to be very disappointed.Our triple room had 2 single beds and a fold-up bed which folded itself as soon as you got in it.We complained but nothing was done so 2 people had to squash into one of the singles, not good in the hot weather! Yes, I could do with losing a little weight but would have had to lose an awful lot to get into the miniscule shower. The carpet was very grubby and the room felt generally shabby. Breakfast was a bit of a gamble, on 2 mornings there was no bread left.A Greek friend who used to work at the Blue Sky said we were very lucky not to have had full board and reading the comments on here I can see where he's coming from.Definately a hotel to be avoided."

• Travel date: Sat 5th of April 2008

Reading reviews of the Blue Sky I am sur...

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2007

"Reading reviews of the Blue Sky I am sure there must be two, we came back last weekend the hotel is not 4 star.

When we got there and went to our room I could not believe the state of the carpet in the room to start and the bathroom was so small, it had a shower no bath this would have been ok but the shower was so tiny my husband who is 6ft and broad could not get in it and the view was of some dirty apartment we were looking in to the bedrooms of the apartments two friends that came with us were 2 doors down they had a bath so they were ok there but there carpet was dirty.

I went down to complain but they did not want to know. We could move to a room in front of the hotel (sea view) but we would have to pay a lot more. We also spoke to the rep she did not do much they did show us another room that had a bath so we had to go for that one carpet still the same.

The night we arrived there was a lot of people waiting for the restaurant to open, can see why if you never got there on time there was nothing much left, not at breakfast or dinner so we had to eat out a lot we, were told this was due to it being end of season but we paid high season price.

We have been to a lot of hotels in different parts of the world and never complain but this was bad.

We meet another couple and the lady said her carpet was so dirty she got it cleaned before she would go in she said it looked like someone had been sick and the just wiped it with a tissue.

We meet a lot of people over the two weeks we were there and they all were not happy.

So don’t waste your money going to this hotel the only good thing was it was central."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of October 2007

The hotel was nice apart from a few th...

Reviewed Wed 19th of September 2007

The hotel was nice apart from a few things. We were very disappointed with our room as we requested a sea view and the view of an air con unit.

The dinners were a huge disappointment, we had a wait a few nights to get into the dining room to eat, then when we didon one occasion someone had taken our table so had to wait for the staff to make up another while our food was going even more colder then it already was.

The most annoying thing was the sun beds, there were about 10. We didn’t get one once out of the whole 2 weeks so had to pay for one at the beach.

I also think there should be more entertainment at the hotel, there isn’t a pool table or anything like that so if you decide to stay in one night I suggest you pack some cards.

Wouldn’t recommend the Blue Sky if I’m honest. Good location that’s about it.

Have a good holiday.

• Travel date: Wed 19th of September 2007

Wish i was still there!

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"The Blue Sky Beach hotel is great!

Firstly, the location of the hotel is perfect! The beach is literally on your doorstep, there are many bars, shops, and restaurants within a few feet from the main entrance, everything you could want is within a few minutes walk! Then further afield, the old town of Rhodes is about a ten minute walk away, as is the new town (complete with a Marks and Spencers).

The reception of the hotel is bright and airy, and absolutely spotless. And the staff are fantastic - really helpful! We received an upgrade to a sea view room (i would definitely recommend asking for a sea-view room), which was spacious, clean, modernly furnished, and very well-equipped.

This hotel is possibly the nicest hotel i have visited in Greece, and is well worthy of its 4* rating. Thoroughly recommend it!"

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of September 2007

Fab, fab,fab

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"You have to go to this Hotel. The reception area is very trendy, spacious, relaxing, spotlessly clean & friendly. First impressions were, 'We've definately chosen the right place'. The staff were all lovely and so helpful. The reception especially were great and always wanted to chat and give you information. It is directly opposite the sea, right next to the 'New Town' (full of restaurants, bars & shops) and only 10 mins walk for 'The Old Town'. The New Town is great for families (and cheap prices are everywhere) until about 11pm then it turns into the young scene with all the clubs and pubs turning up the volume and partying until dawn! The Old Town is beautiful! It really has the WOW factor. There are castles with restaurants built in them, beautiful designer (and fake) shops alleyways all over the place that lead to more beautiful places. The main square is the place to be for people watching and street entertainment. The Harbour is by the old town as well and this is well worth a visit. Plenty of entertainment and amazing boats!
I've gone off the subject of the Hotel haven't I? Well it was great. You must pay a little extra for the Sea View though. You see the sun set every night and have a beautiful view of everything. The other option is a smaller room facing other buildings! I disagree slightly with what people have said about the food because my whole family and friends thought that there was something for everyone. Pasta was an option every night, there was a vast array of fresh salad, meat & fish dishes. The breakfast was great timings 0730 - 1000. The breakfast was always a choice of full english or continental with cereals and fruit juices. The service in the restaurant was very pleasant. However, if i went again I would go B&B and not half board. This is only because the food in the surrounding restaurants was so very reasonable and absolutely delicious! I wouldn't advise you buy lunch at the pool bar because it was a limited menu and very expensive, local cafes again are everywhere. I think I've waffles on a bit but I know I always appreciate as much info as possible when I go on this site. Just to end, we are going back next year and I can't wait! A trip to Lindos is also a must. Have a gr8 holiday."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of August 2007

Perfect location at the Blue Sky Hotel

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"This hotel is very clean indeed and very nice, its modern and all you could want in a hotel.

Althought my only downfall is the food. I would go back to this hotel but it would only bed and breakfast we made the mistake of going half board, although the food was eadable, there is not much variety at all. Spag bowl nearly every night, no fresh fruit in the morning, if you are thinking of booking with children think again there would be nothing for them to eat apart from chips which are on the menu every night. The staff in the resturant wernt very fast and not very accomodating.

They took ages to serve you drinks, and alot of the time we had to get our own cutlery because the tables wernt even set.

Apart from that reception was helpful, the cleaning ladies were fab and we had a fantastic sea view room (which we paid for make sure you book this as otherwise you will have a horrible small back room with a nasty view!!!)

Breakfast was ok, no fresh juice it was all dialuted, but had a full english everyday so that was good! the entertainment leaves alot to be desired, its the same act every tues and sat, once is fine but after that its just too much of the same thing, but most people go out of a evening anyway...

LOVED THE OLD TOWN! you MUST go there, only 10 mins walk from hotel in a straight line so so easy to find (its opp the harbour) wicked shops and lots to buy! there is a english cafe in there somewhere thats cheap and very nice food!

The new town is only a 5 min walk and is nice for a walk around we prefered the old town tho, make sure you walk around the ruins of the castle its well worth it, youll get some fab pics.

Make sure you get the little red train that will take you around Rhodes, its 5 euros for about a hour....

And book the island tour through your operator, you go to butterfly valley, a place where there is lots of ruins, a wineary, ceramic place and you have lunch ina lovely traditional town (but dont go to the resturant they recommend, find your own they are gorgreous with lovely locals and food.

Def go to lindos on a boat you can get a donkey up to the town or up to the acrpolis, its very hot in lindos so be warned but they have some lovely shops, boat takes two hours each way so you dont have much time there so choose what you want to do first!

Lovely stay would def go back b&b and just eat out every night there are lots of lovely place to eat so you dont have to worry about going far.

Beach is 2 mins from hotel just infront of it but take sandles as the beach is stoney!!! its 3.5 euros for a bed and umbrella each....the seas cold tho!!!!

Have fun if staying in this hotel its fab for location and cleanleness just go b&b!

Any more questions contact me at [email protected]"

• Travel date: Mon 25th of June 2007

happy days

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"all the staff from reception,restaurant and cleaners really friendly, absolutely spot on. The rooms were cleaned on a daily basis, except sunday. The rooms had good storage facilities, but a word to the wise, although there is a hairdrier there, I would advice packing your own, either that or stick your head out the balcony to dry. We found the food to be ample in quality and choice for breakfast, the same for all over europe really. We were impressed by the range of the dinners in the first week, however we did feel that the quality decreased in the second week when the hotel got busier, but even at that we still enjoyed it. I would have appreciated greek dishes, but they didnt do any. The live music was hilarious, but for all the wrong reasons. We had a room with a seaview, which was absolutely beautiful and its great to watch people go by, I would advice anyone to do this as the alternative is opening your balcony to a brick wall. The pool was lovely on a hot day, but the sunbed politics made your stay interesting. The sun wouldnt catch the first sunbed until 11.00 - 11.30am and gradually worked its way along the side of the pool, so it was towels at dawn - well 8.30am anyway. On a downside, the hotel didnt have any provisions for showers etc for clients who had late night or early morning departures, they only had a room to store cases, so on our last day after a day on the beach, we were very grubby and unable to bathe, we were reduced to using hotels toilets to bathe. We were advised that to reserve our room we would have to request 24hrs before and this would only be from 12pm - 6pm for 40 euros, when we did we were told that the hotel was fully booked. The hotel was blissfully peaceful and it was in a perfect spot for old town and new town, the bus stop was right across the road, also next to bar street but far eneough away not to be bothered. there is a lot to see in Rhodes town itself, but I would take advantage of trip to the acropolis,once there you pay another 6 euros to get in. The beaches were mainly shingle, walk down nearer to the old town and the beach isnt as windy and is more sandy than pebbly. The pebbles were agony on the feet and watching people walk to the water is very comical, myself included, i think i invented a few new swear words walking to the water, but you can get round that by wearing jellies or other foot attire. All in all I would go back again as I had a wonderful stay and the staff were A+ Alexandra, Hara and Michaelas do an excellent job."

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of June 2007

Good Hotel

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"The hotel was clean and what you can expect from a 4* Hotel.
We enjoyed the walk from the hotel to the Old Town although if you are older or disabled you would need to take a taxi as its a good walk away. There was alot of Germans at the hotel and be warned they dont queue!! We actually found this funny as we would be waiting to be seated and the germans would march in and barge in front. I did see other people getting annoyed at this though.
Only thing wrong was that the beach opposite was stones and not sand. This really hurt our feet !!!

Worth a visit- hotel is clean and towels are changed everyday"

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of May 2007

We booked 2 weeks prior to departure and...

Reviewed Mon 13th of November 2006

"We booked 2 weeks prior to departure and with no real knowledge of Rhodes or the Hotel, we were slightly apprehensive. Although this was the last week of the season for the Rhodes tourist trade we were not disappointed by the Hotel or the staff.

The room had a balcony overlooking the sea, it was clean and a fair size and the bathroom also. The staff could not have been more helpful and the town of Rhodes itself is a definite must see. The history, scenery and feeling of relaxation we had from staying here was well worth the trip.

The people themselves were lovely and we were made to feel welcome wherever we went. We were also fortunate to be there on "Oche Day" to watch the parade. We will definitely visit again in the future as one week did not give us nearly enough time to travel around the island.

If you want beautiful scenery and weather, good food and company, history by the bucket load and the most relaxing holiday you may ever have, please visit Rhodes

• Travel date: Mon 13th of November 2006

Very Nice Hotel

Reviewed Sat 20th of October 2012

"Stayed at the Blue Sky Beach 14th July 2006 we stayed for 2 weeks and found the staff very helpful and pleasant. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the pool is very nice. The reception area is very modern and the rooms were comfortable enough with air conditioning, We found this particular side of the island quit windly at this point for the time of year but very pleasant. The old town and new town are a 10 min walk and there are plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance. The food in the hotel was fine sometimes a bit overcooked and not that varied but there was always something to suit my fussy 12 year old."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of August 2006

Hotels near Blue Sky City Beach Hotel

Top traveller tips for Blue Sky City Beach Hotel

• Liz Adams by Liz Adams

"Boat to Lindos - avoid Thomson overpriced excursions! "

Blue Sky City Beach Hotel is also called