Fabulous boutique hotel in Rhodes Old Town

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"For a short trip to Greece last November (2009) we were spending the first 3 nights in Athens at the strategically-located Attalos Hotel -- a great value that we'll review separately -- and so for the final 5 nights in Rhodes we wanted something a little nicer. We chose the Avalon Boutique Hotel and could not have been more pleased. If you are planning to stay inside the medieval city, the Avalon has to be one of your top choices. The hotel (converted from a sultan's mansion just a few years ago) is a private oasis inside the old town, and does a great job of maintaining the original look and feel of the structure while still providing modern luxuries and high end fixtures throughout. We had the Anatoli Suite, which featured a large private patio, a wood fireplace, and lots of windows. (We had the opportunity to peak into most of the other rooms and they were all lovely.) The staff (Dimitris and Angeliki) were very kind, helpful, sincere, and patiently answered our many questions. The highlight each morning was breakfast -- one selects as many items as you want from a menu the day before, and they are served the next morning wherever you'd like -- your room, your patio, or the hotel's garden. (Along with a few other photos, we've uploaded a scan of the breakfast menu with this review.) The hotel is well-located, just off the Street of the Knights near the Palace of the Grand Master. A good nearby restaurant for dinner with live music is "Myrovolies", just one street over from the Hotel. Many restaurants close in the evening in the low-season when the cruise ships depart, but the Myrovolies seemed to have a good local following and so stayed open. (Note: the bar and restaurant are upstairs -- when you look inside the entrance door it may appear deserted, but go in and climb the stairs to find the people.)"

• Travel date: Sun 31st of January 2010

Wonderful hotel - Excellent service

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Avalon Boutique Hotel in the beginning of September. We had booked in advance the "Anatoli" suite. It is situated at the very heart of Old Rhodes Town, next to the "Palace of the Knights". The photos of the hotel site are depicting 100% the reality. The suite was very nice, clean and with an excellent terrace. The room was spacey and equipped with LCD TV, fireplace and a very nice decorated bathroom. The breakfast had also home made stuff and was served in the beautiful yard full of flower. The reception was very helpful and ready to help with very good proposals for exploring Rhodes. They also prepared a small surprise for the birthdays of my girlfriend. All in all, we had terrific vacations there."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of January 2010

Our Knight in Shining Armor

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"Avalon Boutique Hotel surpassed all my expectations. Having survived a horrendous 12- hour much delayed Blue Star ferry ride (never again!), Avalon totally saved the day for what was turning out to be a disastrous Rhodes misadventure. Dimitris was kind enough to give us an upgrade and the moment we went up the stairs, saw our own patio and stepped into the room, we knew our fortunes had definitely turned for the better. The room had a fireplace, flat screen tv, a living room and very comfortable bed and that elusive free wifi service. Everything was controlled with a flick of a switch. The bathroom had showers that sprayed from everywhere (and had those fabulous Korres freebies). Breakfast was a very smart modified buffet of sorts where you tick off from a list of food that they will have prepared for you in the open air courtyard (still dreaming of the yogurt and honey). Staff was extremely hospitable and friendly and the location, location, location-- a few steps and you are in Ippoton--the legendary street of the knights--this is as "in the heart of Rhodes" as it can get. Avalon was our knight in shining armor and like all damsels in distress we gladly let them whisk us away to Rhodes neverland and give us our happy ending."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of November 2009

Live like a King and Queen in the Old Town

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"i have been going to Rohdes since 1974 and this year was the year to finally experience a different hotel. we have stayed in the same hotel for almost 30 years! I searched the internet and disocvered the Avalon Hotel. I am so glad I did. It is a sanctuary and one of the most relaxing hotels in Rhodes. Even better it is in the Old town which is peaceful behind the big walls. Easy walking distance to the beach and boat harbour. When you arrive you would more than likely be greeted by Dimitris who helps with absolutely everything...including carrying your bags!. There is only 9 suites which are very large and spacious. It allows you to set you bags up in one area whilst you sleep in the other....a welcome relief when you live out of a suticase. High speed wireless internet is available in the room and the courtyard which is rare. The hotel is easy to get to via cab and is not far from the big gates off the main road. After 30 years in one hotel, I think I have found the next hotel that I will stay at for my next 30 years.

Give yourself an inexpensive treat by staying at this hotel at a very reasonable price. Family, girlfirend newlyweds and retirees are all very welcome...you will not be disappointed."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of July 2009

The most romantic boutique hotel in the Old Town of Rhodes

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"I discovered this beautiful boutique hotel during last summer's vacation in Rhodes when wondering around the old town of Phodes . As soon as I saw it, I immediately fell in love with the place and tried to stay there for a few nights but unfortunately it was fully booked. I promised to myself that I would need to go back there.
Luckily enough we managed to spend our 2009 Easter vacation at this charming hotel and we had the most wonderful and relaxing time. Ideally located in the old Rhodes Town just off Ippoton street one of the most romantic streets in the world. Secluded enough to be peaceful and central enough within walking distance of the museams, shops and nightlife of the Old Town of Rhodes
The owners Yiannis and Despina went out of their way to make us feel welcome and to attend to our every need.
Our room was very beatiful and spacious with a lovely veranda with a great view to the old town and the port.
We cannot wait to go back and stay at the Avalon this summer"

• Travel date: Wed 8th of July 2009

Great, relaxing location with personalized service. Would stay again and recommend to a friend.

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"My husband and I and our two kids (6 and 2 years) stayed at the Avalon for 4 Nights in April. We were really glad we choose to stay at this hotel. We stayed in the Eros room and had plenty of room for us and the kids, the kids shared a double bed that I think might also be converted to a sofa. There was a small table with 4 chairs in the room that we could have snacks or play games on. The bathroom was quite comfortable, a nice shower with good water pressure. The bath tub was new and clean. Our bedroom had plenty of room, very nice and comfortable. There were plenty of outlets and the wireless worked great (and no addtional charge which is also nice). The bedroom had a flat screen TV, one suggestion might be to have a small TV in the sitting area also where the kids slept - however not a big deal. There's a walk in closet in the room and nice terrace off the room. The flowers from the lemon trees were in bloom and the smell outside was incredible. We arrived late (after 11P) Saturday night and the Avalon put together a nice platter of different items for the kids to snack on so that we didn't need to venture out for dinner. We had breakfast every morning outside in the courtyard which was great, the weather in April was wonderful and we found it to be very relaxing. Also the kids enjoyed looking at the fish that were in small pond in the courtyard and checking out the different areas, this gave Dave and I more time to enjoy our coffee while the kids were self entertained. My son thought the area was pretty cool especially exploring the old town and thinking about the Knights that once walked there. We used the old town as a base and found it to work out great. The owners of the Avalon were very friendly and many times we had the opportunity in the afternoon or early evening to sit in the courtyard after a day trip to enjoy a beer/coffee and snack etc and get suggestions on things to see or just general converstion. We felt quite welcome."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of May 2009

familiar, friendly, fantastic...

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"I would say this place is an Insider. Me and my wife began our honeymoon at Avalon. It is in the heart of the old town. The people are very friendly. They helped us arranging by booking a car, taxi or even by ordering a Pizza ;)...This is a really sun shine place. Having breakfast outside in January...Unforgetable...I would recommend AVALON to every one if you are looking for something special."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of May 2009

Special Experience with Charm

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"The Avalon is not just another hotel, but a boutique inn. The very spacious suites are charming with modern amenities. Personal care by the staff is given to each guest. Staying inside the medieval walls of Rhodes Town is a special experience. This lovely property is the very best place to stay on Rhodes.

Suzanne Perritt"

• Travel date: Mon 4th of May 2009

A fantastic hotel

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"This is one of the best boutique hotels I have ever stayed at. Forget those tacky resorts on the outskirts of Rhodes, where tourists are living in a bubble--this is the real thing. Set in the dramatic landscape of the old city of Rhodes, the Avalon has everything that a boutique hotel can offer and none of the drawbacks.
1. The staff is very friendly and professional. You'll feel like you're pampered and among family.
2. The rooms are huge and spotless. You're in a building that's over a thousand years old, but everything feels new and spotless.
3. The location is perfect, if you want to explore the old city you're only steps away, if you want to shop in the cosmopolitan new city you're only ten minutes away.
If you're looking to visit Rhodes and stay in a unique fantastic hotel, the Avalon is a safe bet.
Andrew"

• Travel date: Thu 20th of November 2008

Romantic layout

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"We were looking for a nice place for our honeymoon - and we found it in the old town of Rhodes, a few steps away from the Grand Masters Palace and Street of the Knights.

Small, family-run boutique hotel - for some days we thought that we are the only guests.

I liked the helpfulness of the staff during the reservation process (made in March/April) and the fact that they were enquiring about our exact schedule of arrival just a couple of days before we arrived (in September). They also promised us a gourmet dinner for the first night.

Well, arrival is not easy (if you arrive after 9 am): there is no possibility to drive to the old city by car (not even by taxi) and it is very inconvenient to walk through on the bumpy cobbles of the old city with your huge suitcases - it is an important information to elder travellers or anyone with more luggage or a pregnant woman - like me. The hotel has no staff to help you in this matter.

However, it is a good feeling to arrive: there is a nice courtyard inside, very romantic looking...We reserved Eros suite, which was really spacious, very nicely decorated and extremely clean (the cleanliness of the room/bathroom was always perfect!!!). The furniture and bathroom is of high quality (real jacuzzi in bathroom, etc), I just did not understand the emergency exit-like lights above the terrace door and the other doors (which were on during the night as well.)

We got a very nice present from the owner family upon arrival (it was an absolute surprise) and we got a fantastic dinner for the first night (it was really excellent).

The only problem we had was with the breakfast - you have to order your next morning breakfast in advance and indicate the time when you want to have it in your room or in the garden. The breakfast was good - when it finally arrived: sometimes it was one hour later as we indicated. We tried several tricks to get breakfast in time: after waking up we called the staff that we'll have our breakfast in 15 minutes in the garden: they acknowledged it, said not to worry - and brought the breakfast 1 hour later, when we were sitting downstairs for 35 minutes.
If you can take it easy, there is no problem - the problem is if you have to reach and excursion/ship or your plane....

I could not understand during the 8 nights what we should order to get the things we want to eat: I never order croissants but always got 2-4 pieces, except for the day when I really ordered croissants - then we did not get any.

Location: if you are not taking your big luggage with you, the location is fantastic: you are in the middle of the life of the old town - very close to good restaurants (our favourite is Sarris). Don't forget: if you rent a car you can park only outside the walls - a good place was shown by the car rental company for us where the parking was free (otherwise you should pay at many places) - the free parking area was 10-15minutes walk from the hotel.

All in all, we had a nice stay in Hotel Avalon - it is not a cheap hotel, but a really nice and extraordinary one - it's worth a visit."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of October 2008