Not so good at the Thalia

Reviewed Tue 15th of September 2009

"Our party of 4 has just come back from a 7 night stay at the Thalia Hotel. On arrival we asked why we were not put next to each other as we did request this. We were told that the hotel was full but at least you are on the same floor but nowhere near each other. Our view was called "inland" well we faced what I call a dumping ground - it could have looked nice if they had made an effort to make it look better! Our balcony was very small and only just took two chairs and a table with no movement at all. The bathroom was very small and the shower curtain disgusting. The sheets are grey and stained and the bath towels need throwing away and new ones bought. The hotel is in need of total refurbishment. The swimming pool has lots of lose tiles and the steps into the pool need to be more secure. We only used this pool on one occasion for about 20mins. Lucky enough we were able to find much better pools nearby. We will all be going back to Pefkos as we very much liked the place itself, however, we will definitely not be staying at the Thalia.

• Travel date: Thu 10th of September 2009

Good
Reviewed Wed 9th of September 2009

"I stayed at the Thalia hotel for 2 weeks self catering in august having booked last min. Having read the review before we left i was slightly nervous. I found the staff friendly and helpful and were there to ensure you had a good holiday.
The rooms were basic but very clean which was done daily and who wants to cook whilst on holiday! I did have a problem with the hob and could not heat water for a coffee but this was sorted immediately after speaking to the staff. The only negative i found was the size of the bathroom but there was always plenty of hot water.
I had a room on the ground floor near the bar and had no issues with the music from the bar as it was always turned down at midnight so did not disturb us.

I travelled with my daughter and a friend with her children and i found that it was a great place for kids as all the staff were friendly, the pool area with slide was great and it did not get too busy there was always sunbeds available without having to get up in the middle of the night. The bar was a friendly place to be and the kids loved the games area and the play area and the internet access!!
Thalia Hotel is close to the beach and all the local amenities and is a great base for a holiday in Rhodes as Pefkos is a lovely resort."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of September 2009

Great!

Reviewed Tue 8th of September 2009

"Have just returned from staying a week at the Thalia hotel. Me and my boyfriend (both 20) were looking for a cheap holiday as were both students..couldn't find anything on the internet so decided to go to a travel agent (Thomson) and they sorted it all out for us to stay at the Thalia hotel for a week.

We were aware of the negative comments and reviews beforehand but hoped for the best. Overall our stay at the Thalia and Rhodes was amazing! Ok our room wasn't all that great but we were not expecting it to be. The only main negative side was the shower, it had a drain but a very poor drainage system, the floor was level therefore the water didn't drain out very well leaving you with a wet floor. Also, the shower was cold on the first day but after speaking to the receptionist it was sorted out the same day. Apart from that we were very satisfied with everything else, our view from our balcony was amazing, we watched the sunset every night going behind the hills, it was really picturesque. Our room was cleaned every day and clean towels were provided every other day.

The bar was amazing they played good music all day every day and had an endless list of cocktails and drinks to try. Food was also avaliable during the day in a seating area next to the bar with two televisions. Internet access was also avaliable inside by the reception area and outside by the bar for one euro for 14 minutes.

The best part about staying at the Thalia hotel was the people running it! I have never been on holiday before where the staff are as welcoming, friendly and helpful as the ones at the Thalia hotel. When you are there you really feel like part of their family and when we left last night they all came out to make sure they waved us off. Theo, Nikos and Mickey who are the bar staff are so funny, always upbeat and making you laugh making sure you have a good time.

On our second night there (friday) Thalia held a greek night, if you decide to stay at Thalia you have to go to this! Me and my boyfriend didn't really know anyone before the night but the next day we pretty much knew most of the people who were staying at Thalia! It was such a laugh, they had traditional greek dancers and traditional BBQ food with a starter and a main course for 10 euros!

The pool was slightly a bit too cold but if you sunbathed for a while and then got in, it was really refreshing and cooled you down a lot. The beach was only a ten minute walk and was really amazing, the water was crystal clear and the fish swam round you, be careful for the rocks though, as long as you look where your'e going you will be fine, the deeper you go in the more rocks there are so be careful with children etc.

There are plently of lovely bars and resturants in and around Pefkos which are all in close proximity to Thalia. The best resturant we went to was called La Erina, it was situated right as you come out of Thalia hotel, you can't miss it as it is the only resturant on the left hand side. The food was amazing and they had a live singer while we ate who was really good! Also, if you like the night life/clubbing scene, there is a club/bar called Eclipse which is situated at the end of the main road when you come out of Thalia hotel. They do the best cocktails and the music is really upbeat.

The special thing about Rhodes island is that is caters for all sorts of parties, there are many excursions and things to do including; a tour round the island, scuber diving, a trip on a glass bottom boat, a tour to the surrounding islands such as Cymi Island, donkey rides, horse and carriage ride, plane trip round the island, butterfly valley (only two in the world), winery the list goes on, not to mention the water sports. Rhodes is also good if you just want a relaxing holiday, the island is very laid back, probably the most laid back holiday I have ever been on, you don't get pestered on the beach to buy anything, you don't get lured into resturants and shops and if you go to the beach early in the morning there is hardly anyone around and all you can hear is the sound of the waves.

Overall, I really highly reccommend Thalia hotel if you want a friendly and welcoming service, close to everything. Also, music gets turned off at 12 every night at Thalia so if you don't want music blaring at 3 in the morning and actually want a good nights sleep you can have one!

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of September 2009

10/10

Reviewed Fri 28th of August 2009

"I've just arrived back from my 2nd year at the Thalia, Once again a perfect holiday!
Theo, Nikos & Mikey are very helpful & gave us a lovely welcome when we arrived.
Thalia has a huge pool with lots of sun loungers, and the bar area is a nice place to chill in the evening with the best cocktails around!
The hotel is run by a very close warming family who will make you feel very at home.
24hour reception is very helpful when you lock yourself out!
Okay breakfast isnt great but if travelling with olympic its the same price as going self catering, its worth it for a coffee!
Ignore the bad comments!
I will be going next august for the 3rd time."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of August 2009

Not so good

Reviewed Fri 21st of August 2009

"i have just got back today from my holiday to hotel thalia, personally i loved the hotel, it was just something cheap and what you needed but our only problem was was the staff. They were so un-helpfull! my sister has a 2 and a half year old son and in her room she had a dodgy plug, she asked them on many occasions to take alook at it but they didnt finally check it until our last week, all the male staff would play games with the girls out there, it was wrong to watch, and they were very rude to my family on one night. personally i will go to perfkos again because its really nice there and i met lots of people but i would never stay at hotel thalia unless it was taken over by another family."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of August 2009

Stay open minded!

Reviewed Thu 13th of August 2009

"Me and my girlfriend had our first holiday together at Thalia hotel in Pefkos. The location was great as it was a 10 minute walk from an awesome beach and bars/restaurants. However the hotel itself was not so great. The room was pretty basic, we had two hobs and a fridge, literally- which was next to the bed, and one other room which was the bathroom (which had a broken roof so had numerous occasions of having to block the hole to stop cockroaches from escaping from the hole. One night we were up for an hour trying to catch 1! The staff were helpful and so was the rep. However our room was downstairs and there was such a horrid smell in the corridor that every time we came out of our room we had to hold our noses! The pool looks bigger in the photo and the pool is freezing, but if you like the beach then it is a perfect location, and you can also go into other hotel pools as they allow you to do that. Prices were good, and there was no trouble finding somewhere to eat. A week is definitely long enough as any more than that you will get bored. But then for the price you have to make the most out of it. The cocktail bars are good, if you go the try Palm lounge cocktail bar as the cocktails are awesome (and you get free shots when you spend enough). Overall we had a good holiday, but would not go back to the hotel itself. "

• Travel date: Thu 13th of August 2009

It's ok

Good
Reviewed Thu 30th of July 2009

"Ok i was a bit worried after reading the negative reviews, It's a 2 star complex and its not too bad, a few issues but wot can you expect for the price you pay, the self catering side is poor, room was cleaned daily (except Sundays) and sheets and towells changed twice on a weeks stay, bathrooms are small but plenty of hot water, the pool area is ok with plenty of sunbeds, bar is good and people friendly, we had a good weeks stay there "

• Travel date: Tue 28th of July 2009

Best holiday

Reviewed Wed 29th of July 2009

"Just got back from a week holiday to the Thalia, and after reading all the bad reviews was very worried.
This was my first holiday away in a hotel lower than 3*, well how brilliant it was.Staff were brilliant, wot ever you want you got, extra towels, kettle etc.... The pool was brilliant, meet lots of lovely new friends. You must go to the Greak nite on the friday definately worth the 10 euros. The situation is next to everything and the beach is only 10mins walk but a lovey walk, the resturants are all lovely apart from the one that is eat 3 courses for 8.90euro no wonder why was sick as anything. Glass bottom boat and scuba diving was also a must.
Nikos and theo im affraid all 15 of us who meet each othere at your lovely hotel will be back next year.
My only down was samuel our rep, how bad was he if you ever did see him and if you wanted to book anything up, they didnt do it!!!!!
Thanks again to the thalia studios/hotel"

• Travel date: Mon 27th of July 2009

Flies in Rhodes

Reviewed Wed 27th of May 2009

"Breakfast was a disgrace, a plate of boiled eggs and dried up bread rolls.

Bath very small and dangerously slippy due to tap in need of washer, spraying water out.

We requested a bath mat to avoid an accident.

Bathroom door didn't shut and the disco was blasted out every night til 12.00

The poolside staff were very friendly but the hotel staff were very casual in granting any requests.

Came home both badly bitten. "

• Travel date: Mon 25th of May 2009

annonoymous

Reviewed Mon 3rd of November 2008

"I am shocked to read such negative feedback on the Thalia. The hotel is 2* so i don't really know what people expect. I thought The hotel was fantastic, very good value for money! & brilliant location.
The pool area was nice, always plenty of sun loungers & the bar played music during the day. I've never relaxed so much on a holiday. The hotel staff were amazing.. very friendly & helpful, especially Nikos & Theo! I have never met such nice people.
The restaurants in pefkos do superb food & If you are not planning on staying at the Thalia You will find yourself spending most of your evenings at their bar, the cocktails are very cheap!
The only let down for me was Olympic. I found the rep very unhelpful & spent most of there nights getting drunk around the bar..Good job we didn't need the rep really!
I will be going back there 2009, it is ashame though that olympic only fly out to rhodes on sat & wed"

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of November 2008

Ok , so it's not the Ritz, it's a 2 star...

Reviewed Mon 6th of October 2008

"Ok , so it's not the Ritz, it's a 2 star hotel and you get what you pay for. Yes we noticed the ants etc and in the bathroom you couldn't swing the proverbial cat and it needs a lick of paint.....so what?. We had a great holiday, the beach is nearby , good restaurants, cheap taxis and most of all......sunshine. As for the cats, Greece is reknowned for it's cat population and to complain about residents feeding the cats ....get a grip !!!.

The staff where all very friendly & helpful, the greek night was good fun and the snack bar meals where excellent value for money. I would certainly return to the Thalia for a relaxing holiday."

• Travel date: Mon 6th of October 2008

I have never been abroad before, this wa...

Reviewed Tue 23rd of September 2008

"I have never been abroad before, this was the first time I had ever been on a plane. So I was already slightly anxious. Thankfully I was travelling with another couple and my parter who were very reassuring.

Everything was fine until we reached Thalia hotel. We had two neighbouring rooms on the ground floor. As we walked in there were ants all over the floor surrounding an item of food that obviously hadn't been cleaned. The bathroom light bulb didn't work, neither did one of the bedside lamps. I was a bit shocked to see our ''self catering'' arangements which consited of two hob rings, a draining board, a dirty sink, a very rusty fridge and a cupboard under the sink containing no more than 3 spoons, 3 forks, 2 knifes, no bowls, 2 plates, 2 mugs, a huge boiling pot, a tiny 1 cup milk saucepan and a colinder?!? Of course thats just what I needed in the boiling heat - a huge bowl of hot pasta! We knew we were going to be eating out most nights and were planning to have just cereal in the room anyway - by the end of the week we were so bored with asking for bowls we gave up and went to the nearest cafe for a full english! The bathroom was so small, particually the shower - which was no more that 3 square foot! The shower curtain didn't go all the way round so the whole bathroom became flooded. There were ants crawling in the sink basin. Our balcony was out onto the ground floor, it was also infested with ants - we did complain about this but nothing was done.
The pool area was good, lots of sunloungers and a close pool bar that shows football games (which my boyfriend thought was the best part of the holiday?!). Overall I thought Thalia was a crumby excuse for self catering, the room was extremely poor but it is in a great location, close to all the restaurants. Pefkos itself is fantastic - I would definately come back next year. The friendliness of all the restaurant staff is like no where else. The food is delicious! I recommend renting a car - its such a beautifull island you have to see it all! If there is one thing you have to do on your trip is take the Glass Bottom Boat, which leaves from Pefkos and goes to Lindos. Our driver was hilarious! The views are totally breathtaking! "

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of September 2008