Hotel Solemar

Sotiros 99 Ixia, Rhodes Town 851 01 Greece

Good

Horrible food! and cockroaches total let down

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"What can I say I read the reviews before hand, and was pretty scared about staying in this hotel. I have to agree with the bad reviews, to start with the food was terrible, and the lift did keep breaking down. We had problems with cockroaches and i returned to my room one morning to find they had just been swept under my bed by the cleaners. (disgusting)

Allthough the birds did not keep me awake as I found the noise quite calming, the hotel staff were friendly and the bartender Gabriella was great but thats as far as it goes, there isnt much to as Ixia ia a pretty quiet resort. However if you are going visit the Cabellerro situated on the stretch of restaraunts down the road, its a great place.9 it became our local) All I can say is dont be fooled by the marble reception, the hotel was a total let down, dirty and horrible food bt at least i was prepared for it.
Thats all i can say!"

• Travel date: Sun 12th of June 2005

Great location!

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"I read the reviews on this site and i was expecting a horrible hotel with dirty rooms and rude people! The hotel was basic the staff were pleasant and it was kept very clean! The food wasn't all that so would advise you not to eat there if possible self catering would be good! Other than that we had a complaint with one room, we couldnt sleep because of the birds and they moved us the same day! It's a great location, you've got to visit posseidonia bar! I would definately go back!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 5th of January 2005

Avoid the Place

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"Have to agree with your complainants. The place is a health hazard. Dirty rooms, dangerous swimmingpool,undercooked food.Try any of the other hotels. We checked them out, before moving to the excellent Hotel Elina. Beware!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 28th of December 2004

Great

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"i'm from Luton, UK. i visited the hotel Solemar in June 2004. i stayed for two weeks with my partner, and i must say that it wasn't so bad as they say. I actually stayed at the apartments. the service was excellent, the room was always cleaned and the staff was very friendly.
the swimming pool was quite big better than what i was expected. the food was excellent i must say, it was proper greek cuisine.
the hotel is 50m far from the sea and 10' far from the town center.
i do suggest if anyone wants to visit Rhodes and stay in a very pleasant environment Solemar Hotel Apartments is a very good choice."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of December 2004

Solemar Apartments (new Block)

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"I went and Stayed in Solemar Apartments May 2004. Admitedly we did stay in the new block around the back of the hotel, but the facilities were excellent, the only problem we had was that we couldn't find a tin opener!!! Everything was clean, the housekeeper was very friendly and even did our washing up if we left any!
The pool was freezing but the weather was quite warm so was very refreshing. And the pool area was spacious with plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas. You can also hire cushions for the sunbeds at one euro a day each. But worth it!
Ixia itself was great and plenty of supermarkets, bars and restaurants to chose from with Rhodes town just up the road if you want any more, taxis cost about 5 euros. Bargain!
Nothing bad to say, Was planning on going back September but cannot get time off work, but will definately return to Solemar Apartments."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of September 2004

Been on worse holidays

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"We stayed at the solemar from 31st july 2004 for 2 weeks.The hotel was ok but found the rooms quite small.Are room was at the front of the hotel and did find the traffic noise a problem,it is 24/7.The shower couldnt make its mind up,one minute is nice and warm then freezing cold.The food was adequate but come the 2nd week we eat out a few times as they seemed to repeat the menu.The hotel staff were brilliant,gabrielle the bartender is a good source of info and does a mean cocktail.The beach is close by but no good for kids as its just pebbles,also found it to be dirty as it isnt cleaned up at all.Ixia has only about 4 decent pubs etc, the rest were always empty.We wanted to chill out this hol and thats what we done."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of August 2004

there is little wrong with the hotel

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"I must say that after reading some of the reviews on this hotel I was expecting the worse. However when we arrived I could not have been more shocked at how different the hotel was compared to what previous reviews have said about it. It is true from the outside the hotel does look fairly shabby but that’s about as bad as it gets. We arrived at around 4am and everything was in darkness and it did look a little creepy from the outside however when we walked in we were greeted by a receptionist and were stunned by how lovely the inside looked compared to the outside it had beautiful marble floors, leather sofas, wide screen TV, lovely decor, and was spotlessly clean and all very modern. Although we were staying in the apartments at the back of the hotel grounds they were still ran by the hotel staff and we also used the facilities which we felt were above average. The pool was a good size although the main pool was quite deep and could be dangerous for little ones there were two children’s pools next to it, it was cleaned twice daily and the only down side was there were a few leaves floating in it from the numerous trees around. As for sun beds there were plenty to go round and there was no need to get up early, and there is more than enough shade around the pool area with plenty of umbrellas and trees around. The gardens were maintained well, although because the weather is so hot the grass was a little dry but nothing worse than you would expect. We didn’t eat at the snack bar as there were numerous restaurants and shops just outside the hotel that were better priced however the food there looked fine and it was very convenient if you want a quick snack or drink. There is also a bar inside which we only used a couple times but the prices were fair and the bar man was very friendly as were all the other staff especially the cleaners who I found were extremely good, they left our room spotless everyday and even did our washing up for us (we went self catering) Obviously i cannot comment on the rooms in the hotel as we stayed in the apartments but we found these were fantastic everything you could want and need and I cant imagine that the hotel rooms were much different the only difference being that the apartments were fairly new, I read that the rooms are refurbished every winter. They were cleaned everyday with clean linen; they were very spacious and had everything we needed for a fantastic holiday The apartments are set in a very peaceful location behind the hotel and I did not find noise was a problem, yes there are birds next door but you get used to them, although with the door shut you cant even hear them and to be honest we didn’t even realise what it was until our last night. The hotel is located just off the main road in Ixia so traffic noise may be a problem if you are at the front of the hotel, but I heard no complaints. Again I cannot comment on the hotel food as we went self catering, but the menu was hung up every night and there looked more than enough of a selection. However there are a numerous amount of restaurants in Ixia all offering competitive prices. As for the other complaints that were made on previous reviews, i assume that the hotel must have made improvements since then, the lift looked brand new people were using it all the time and didn’t seem to experience any problems, there were no drunks whatsoever, mainly families and couples (and it was peak season), as I said before the pool was lovely set in a peaceful location with nice surroundings, and the hotel was very comfortable and friendly with plenty of activities to keep the children happy such as pool and air hockey. Obviously there is room for improvement in some areas but then if you are not going 5* then this is what you would expect. If you want somewhere that is comfortable, friendly and in a good location to explore the island then the Solemar is perfect. I would personally recommend the apartments as they are lovely.
As for Ixia itself, it is fairly quiet although there are plenty of bars and restaurants to chose from, if you are looking for a lively holiday with lots of clubs then don’t go here, head to Rhodes town or Falaraki (which by the way is very cheap by bus and taxi). However if you are looking for a relaxing holiday and to a good place explore the island then Ixia is great because you have the choice and can travel to anywhere from here. The beach is not that fantastic and not ideal for children as the sea is quite rough, however we found it to be ideal as it is very peaceful, and the sea is beautiful and very warm. There is also a lovely breeze which makes it bearable to sunbathe. I would say that if you are not too fussy and you are looking for basic yet comfortable then the hotel Solemar is for you."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of August 2004

Its not all that bad

Reviewed Sun 14th of October 2012

"My partner and I visited the Hotel Solemar May 22nd - May 29th 2004 on a last minute deal. I must admit I was dreading it having read the previous reviews the day before our departure!! However, I can only say that I completely disagree with almost everything they said!!!

I have been taking package holidays abroad since 1990 and being a lively 25 year old have very high expectations of all my breaks away from work!! The hotel was definately above average. Immaculately clean, a fully working lift (yes it was small but hey anything's better than the stairs after a full day's sunbathing!!) and the evening meals were superb - plenty of choice: soup, a full salad range and more types of meat and fish than those on the menus of the local eating holes!!

The rooms were thoroughly cleaned everyday and the pool and surounding area kept clean & tidy!! As for the squawking birds - well on one side of the hotel there is an aviary in the neighbours garden but I can honestly say we didn't find their noise levels a problem and we had a room right above it!!

As for Ixia I would definately recommend the resort. There are some really great bars, especially Caballeros on the main stretch. The locals are friendly and taxis and buses are readily available to take you round the Island cheaply and cheerfully!

So, Hotel Solemar - fear not. I would definately visit you again!!"

• Travel date: Tue 20th of July 2004

Dissappointed

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Our holiday was from Feb 25th to March 7th 2004 like the previous complainant from the U.K. we also experienced the same disgusting food, no elevators worked, my husband is handicapped so using the stairs was a problem. No unberelles around the pool for shade. Our room had a kichen, no pans on arrival, refrigerator rusty and broken down, took 5 days to freeze, stove did not work properly, noise levels were high nocontrol over the drunks both in and out of the pool. Staff had more fun with them than looking after the other holiday makers in the building, my last comment is that we would never recomment this hotel to anyone."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of June 2004

Be Aware!!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"The Hotel Solemar was a massive dissapointment! We arrived following our flight + transfer at 5am at which point we were tired, sweaty and irritable! We wanted showers and beds! The staff on arrival gave but one word and we were then shoved into a 1950's style food lift that only fit 2 small people in at a time let alone two suitcases - smelling like something had died and the risk of having your fingers ripped off (as there is no door!!) we were beyond disgusted! The corridors are dark and dank, and the rooms are tiny, smelly, dirty! The bathroom was so small that if you stretched your arms out you were stopped half way by the walls! Shower was freezing that sprayed 99% of the brown water onto the floor!! A window with no lock that led to a gap in the building was increasingly disturbing and the fact that you cannot flush any toilet paper down the loo made the experience unbearable!! After specifically asking for a balcony with a view - the result was crap to put it bluntly! A gap 2" by 6" that fit one plastic chair in was not my idea of a balcony! Following complaints the next morning we were told we could have complimentary free air conditioning!! The food looked like several of the stray cats and dogs that wandered aroundduring the day had been put in a mincer with a bit of gravy or curry powder and served in a 'help yourself if you dare' canteen! The pool had anonymous floating objects and the length could be swam in 10 seconds. The night life was pretty much none existent and we got annoyed by men standing on street and cornering us to go into their bars!! Although early nights are advised as you wont sleep much when the birds start screaming at 4am?? All in all the hotel was shoddy, dirty and smelly!
For mine and my partners first ever holiday together it was the most awful experience possible and to be honest our standards are not high to say the least!! Do not bother...the place should be pulled down!!"

• Travel date: Wed 21st of January 2004

Wouldnt recomend ever

Reviewed Wed 19th of October 2016

"The hotel was 3 star to be quite truthful it was basic the food was basic never had a hot meal you never had a glass to drink out of bar charged after 11pm plastic beakers broken tiles around the pool bath was very slippy had to leave towel in they charged for internet per device 30.00 fortnight air conditioning 50.00 a fortnight safety deposit box 30.00 total rip off maids would open curtains to let sun in all day didn't get any clean towels till 7pm rooms basic couldn't swing a cat on the balcony."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of October 2016

Great place

Reviewed Fri 13th of May 2016

"A lot of people are moaning but they forget it's a 3 star hotel...the hotel is clean and the staff are very nice and helpful! great bar staff!the area is nice, and the local people are also friendly and helpful too."

• Travel date: Fri 13th of May 2016

Hotels near Hotel Solemar

Stayed at Hotel Solemar? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Hotel Solemar

• Christine Y by Christine Y

"enjoy the pool and the entertainment every night "

• holiday lover by holiday lover

"take a trip to rhodes town on the bus they run regular from out side the hotel "

Hotel Solemar is also called