Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes

100 Iraklidon Avenue, Rhodes Town 85101 Greece

3 star at best

Reviewed 2 months ago

"Hotel ,bar staff are all lovely ,animation team shocking ,entertainment is non existant .managers espesh restaraunt are woefull ,nice hotel ,but getting run into ground from poor management .better 3 stars nearby"

• Travel date: Sat 1st of September 2018

Worst greek hotel we ever visited

Reviewed Thu 20th of October 2011

"Have visited several Greek isles and hotels and this was by far the worst. (and on top of that it was one of the most expensive we ever visited)

-Old and terrible maintained building.
-Had to wait 1hour before we could go to our room, the people at the reception lied multiple times to us, saying it would be ready in 5 minutes. ('it was a busy day')
-bad food & have to wait very long to get a table for dinner
-ugly area around the hotel & ugly beach side.
-expensive and bad drinks at the hotel pool (had to pay 3euro for a "ice coffee" witch was actually just instant coffee (the worst kind of instant coffee you can imagine)
-not enough elevators for the size of the hotel, had to wait very long almost every time to go up or down
-one night there was a party on top of the hotel & they played very loud music till 1am

(on a side note, the pool area is allot smaller then you would think from the pictures)

• Travel date: Sun 18th of September 2011

Not 5 Star Be Careful

Reviewed Thu 30th of September 2010

"I am sorry to say I stayed at the Amanthus Beach Hotel, Rhodes and was extremely disappointed and in the end felt as if I had just either been scammed or conned.
I first came across the holiday via travelzoo who normally identify and highlight genuine offers in the leisure market / boutique/5 star hotels. I have used numerous hotel offers and been completely happy and if a 5 star was advertised it was exactly that. I recently booked a holiday via this company / Olympia Holidays. It was confirmed when telephone booking that this was a 5 star hotel and it was a genuine reduced rate, the accommodation did not have sea view it would be overlooking a waterfall at the rear of the hotel and they understood the hotel would collect from the airport. I had no problem with not getting a sea view as long as it really was 5 stars. I went onto their website which again confirmed 5 star, so I booked for 15- 22 September.
On arrival at the airport we did not receive hotel transfer but a coach. Which from arrival took 1 hour and 15 mins before we reached the hotel. On arrival we were allocated rooms 6 and 8 on the 11th floor. As you opened the door the intense smell of damp/mould hit you, laid on the bed was a cable and a hole in the wall to the right of the bed where it came from. The cheap bed mattress had metal s shape, which could be seen through the bedding. This could not be 5 stars and in fact looked more in keeping with a hostel.
We went to reception to complain and was told to go and have dinner or a drink, as there was no one who could help for a least 1hour. On our return we were shown 2 alternative rooms on the 4th floor rooms 410/411. Room had a valance that had never been ironed and was very creased, the bathroom wall had repairs that needed repainting after, and immediately to the rear and left of the toilet the floor was very badly stained. And was not overlooking a rear waterfall. Again not 5 star standard at all.
We went to reception again and were told that other rooms were available. The receptionist did mention that family rooms were available but on her return from the back office said “the only rooms left were the Elite rooms but would be additional cost of 200 Euros per room per night” which we were then shown.
At last we saw the 5 star that I had expected from your website. What your website nor the company selling on your behalf explains is that to receive 5 star you leave the main hotel and are taken to the Elite area. All the 5 star facilities are not in the hotel at all. It is totally independent built in the grounds of the hotel. Even breakfast is served in a separate dining room not accessible unless you pay for the elite rooms.

Although relieved that at least I could provide the holiday for my sons that I was led to believe I had already booked and paid for could only be possible if I paid an extra 2400 Euros for 6 nights on top of the £1800.00 that had already been paid to Olympia Holidays. So having no alternative I paid and we were moved.

I complained to the rep for Olympic holidays and a complaints form was compiled. When I went back the following day expecting an explanation or least the rooms to have been investigated I was informed he had been too busy. When I asked for taxis to be booked as I had believed private transport to be included and offered to pay the company, I was told if I wanted private taxis it would be best if I booked my own taxis but to check flight departure the day before. The day before departure I went back to the rep and also informed him of the problems with the elite rooms and his words were “you have to expect cockroaches and ants in hot climates” if I had told the hotel of the problems there was nothing he could do. Not once receiving an apology or explanation.

During our stay it also became very apparent that the main hotel was in no way operating at full capacity at all and therefore I do believe as the receptionist had mentioned we could have been offered better rooms within the hotel, but as the final bill also states you would not have got the maximum “Up Selling” opportunity. And to pay on top of this for two taxis back to the airport.

I would also like to mention that even in the Elite room 101which I stayed in had serious problems with ant infestation and the fruit and daily treats left in the rooms were covered in ants within minutes, which I reported to reception. In room 102 after 3 days in the room a problem arose with water poring through the ceiling over the seating area and on the second time maintenance had to be called at midnight which for the second time emptied something in the ceiling and left a bucket below and left it dripping water in to it. The fresh flowers put in the rooms were in fact dead and had badly brown stems which indicated they had been immersed in water for a long time before placing in the rooms. The jets on the pool did not operate properly and had lost the knobs to turn the jet pressure up or down. The lounge cushions were stained with bird droppings.

I truly feel that The 5 stars Hotel “special offer “ advertised was not in fact special offer but a way of getting a captive cliental that “up selling” can be used to fill the Elite accommodation.

I would never have booked the holiday had I know how much it was really going to cost for the holiday to Rhodes."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of September 2010

nice chill week

Reviewed Thu 23rd of October 2008

"just had a wonderful chill week in this hotel.
It was out of season so no loads of kids,weather was superb everyday.
The staff are extremely friendly and polite.
The rooms have all you need,beach towels,toiletries,fridge,dressing gown and slippers.
I had read several mixed reviews on this hotel before i went,and my husband and i decided to have a weeks break and see for ourselves.
We stayed half board,the food was extremly good plenty of choice,you could not go wrong,and we never had to eat out once.
I could not say anything bad about this hotel as it would be totally unjustified.
Nice pool areas,own bit of beach.
Bus stop right outside of hotel in to rhodes town for 2 euros.
A taxi back is only 6 euros.
The tour operator trips were more expensive,turn left outside the hotel walk for 5 mins and you will see an agents called Sygmi.Trips alot cheaper just as good and pick you up from the hotel.
Rhodes old town is really nice.
Not much entertainment as out of season,Ixia as a resort does not have a lot to offer.
Fridge in room stocked with drink but they are expensive check menu before helping yourself.
Much easier to go to supermarket and get your own.
Wine in restraunt also on the dear side,large bottle of water 4 euros.
Lindos very pretty but not for those with walking difficulties.
The boat trip to symi is worth a day out.
If you want a good hotel good food and weather and just a lazy chillout this will not dissapoint you.
There are bargains to be had for this hotel in october,For the amount we paid for
this holiday we certainly grabbed a bargain.
The only sad part is coming back to the cold weather at home.

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of October 2008

Had a lovely holiday at this hotel but v...

Reviewed Thu 11th of September 2008

"Had a lovely holiday at this hotel but very expensive. The trips through the First Choice rep weren't very good. I advise the little travel agent on the right as you go out of the hotel. They have the same trips and for over half the price. The BBQ evening was a bit of a let down. It wasn't even held in a proper Taverna, the food wasn't very tasty either. The pools were clean and well kept, plenty of pool towels and chairs to go around. Won't be returning to Ixia, fairly quiet although for 7 euros, you could go to Rhodes town just up the road. Staff were friendly and very helpful and we had a superb sea view even though we had to pay nearly £200 extra for it."

• Travel date: Thu 11th of September 2008

Very nice hotel with lots of amenities....

Reviewed Wed 2nd of May 2007

"Very nice hotel with lots of amenities. Just all shut when we visited in April 2007.

No Aircon even though temps were in 20's and only a couple of the Bars open.

Hotel was 3/4* standard but the resort was appalling. The beach was filthy and the resort was mostly closed.

First Choice are probably the worst holiday company I have has the misfortune of spending a hard earned break with.

Never again!"

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of May 2007

I spent a week in the Rodian Amathus wit...

Reviewed Sat 3rd of March 2007

"I spent a week in the Rodian Amathus with my Mum and had a fantastic holiday.

Even on first impressions, I didn't envy any other holiday makers being dropped off at other hotels. Grand looking lobby with outdoor seating area and waterfall.

Our room was great. It had a 'lounge' area as well as a sleeping area which was a real bonus. My Mum and I could finish every night off with a chat and a glass of wine in comfort and about 10pm.

A lovely chamber maid brought us goodnight chocolates, which were normally left on pillows but as we were in I answered the door and had a sly handful given to us, being ladies on our own!

We loved the food. Buffet starter and dessert, but for main you had a choice from the menu which was finer dining, but still with a choice of buffet if there was nothing to your taste or you were still hungry. We found the more modest portion the menu choice gave you, saved us from stuffing ourselves too horrendously.

The shops are a bit samey, but have a better choice of gifts to buy than from many other islands I have holiday’s, plus we love to shop.

Do take advantage of taxi's, they are cheap and have a fixed price tariff, depending where you go which all taxi's have to adhere to, so you shouldn't be ripped off.

Would also STRONGLY recommend not booking your tours through your travel operator. There is a tourist agency set in a parade of shops half way along the main road that are cheaper and very friendly (on the beach side of the road).

Rhodes town is great, as was Lindos...though it does get hot there, and would recommend the island tour. All in all the safest place I've been, least heckling by shop and restaurant people. You do get approached but are quickly left alone."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of March 2007

We were a party of six at this hotel, on...

Reviewed Fri 6th of October 2006

"We were a party of six at this hotel, on arrival my husband and I were given room 711, before we could unpack we had to call reception, as there was a terrible smell in this room, we asked for an exchange of room but, was informed it would only be for the one night as they had no other rooms at this time, they did fix the smell but, we would still have preferred to have been moved. Room 711 was designed for a disabled person, and should only have had one bed in it, it was impossible to read in bed as all the lighting was at one side of the beds, could go on but enough said.

One major complaint was that there was 200 Dellotte personnel in the hotel at this time, and they took over the hotel, they were rude and had no respect for any other guests in the hotel, we did complain but to no avail, one got the feeling that these people, were given the five star treatment and that the staff forgot about there guest, on saying that the staff at reception were very good.

I'm sorry to say that overall this hotel was not five star, food was cold and room need upgrading, will return to Rhodes for sure, but will try the Hilton next time, sorry Rodian Amathus, you’re not a five star hotel, but you charge five star prices, big disappointment."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of October 2006

First time in Rhodes picked the Rodian A...

Reviewed Tue 19th of September 2006

"First time in Rhodes picked the Rodian Amathus because we have stayed in their hotels before hotel lovely staff very friendly and helpful. Had a few complaints regarding changing beach towels and the cold food most evenings although choice was excellent.

But our biggest complaint was that there was a conference going on with over 200 delegates. Whilst we were assured that this would in no way spoil our holiday, it certainly put a strain on it. They were noisy, rude people who expected to be treated better than us. So it is something I would check in future and avoid.

Ixia is a nice place although might be too quiet for some but for 6 euros in a taxi into Rhodes old town it wasn't a problem for us. And Rhodes old town is well worth seeing "stunning". Will definitely be going back."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of September 2006

Total Relaxation

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"My partner and I have just returned from 2 weeks at this hotel.Having read the reports on this site we were more than apprehensive.However, we were absolutely delighted when we got there and found we had been upgraded to a suite on the 10th floor.The room was serviced twice daily and having daily pool towels was excellent,our bed linen was changed every other day.Stunning sunsets and the view across the aegean was superb.The staff almost without exception were friendly and very helpful.The dining room was as you would expect in a large hotel like this but the Maitre d got to know our favourite table and it was always waiting for us with our wonderful waiter and view across to Turkey.There was a conference in the hotel with 200+ delegates but this did not impinge on holiday at all.In fact the management team went out of their way to ensure we encountered no problems.As far as the food was concerned there was so much choice both for breakfast and dinner ,if you didnt want the main course you could stick to the buffet which was always well presented and food replenished regularly.After 2 weeks it did get boring but the menu changed daily.The one downside was the price of drinks but as a fellow guest pointed out they were London prices .
Would we go back? You bet."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of September 2006

This was our 3rd visit and as always the...

Reviewed Fri 1st of September 2006

"This was our 3rd visit and as always the resort is wonderful. Already looking forward to going back Next Year :-)

There are so many things I like about the hotel. There are 3 pools and the beach to choose from, which means you do not have to feel over crowded. It can be windy, but this helps you cool down slightly in the summer heat and the sea waves can be jumped whilst you scream with the fun of it all.

The staff are friendly and very professional. Food is always of a high standard and I am pretty sure I put on weight even though they do have healthy options to choose from. Maybe next time I will make use of the gym in the spa. If you like your seafood it is worth paying the extra for the Lobster night, 7 courses ending with the most amazing chocolate pudding.

Rooms are comfy, air conditioned and you are provided with a basket of welcome fruit and wine on arrival. Your bed is turned down at night with a chocolate and card with sweet dreams written on it placed on your pillow. They provide a dressing gown, slippers and a beach towel for your stay. You have a mini bar that has space for drinks bought at the shops.

They had a Beatles tribute night which was fantastic fun and was enjoyed by all ages, we danced away to hits like "She Loves You", "Help" etc

There are many stores, Bars and restaurants on the strip the hotel is based on if you feel like a wander.

Taxi's are not too expensive and there is a bus stop outside the hotel, for less than €2 you can travel into Rhodes Town for a spot of shopping, the Taxi is about €6.

No complaints at all, they really do want you to have an amazing holiday and it shows. Highly recommended hotel and staff."

• Travel date: Fri 1st of September 2006

Just came back from Ixia where we had a...

Reviewed Fri 1st of September 2006

"Just came back from Ixia where we had a brilliant time!

The staff were friendly and helpful; nothing was too much trouble and we were definitely given the five star treatment. The food was excellent; well presented, delicious with far too much to chose from; a selection to satisfy a wide range of tastes.

The setting of the hotel is breathtaking, set back in the hills and overlooking the beach, the dining room is situated on the tenth floor giving a view of Ixia and the surrounding area. The reception area is imposing yet informal and there were three pools, all well equipped with sun loungers and umbrellas with drinks and snack bar attached to each pool.

Beach towels are provided and changed on a daily basis and bath robes and slippers are also provided, with complimentary toiletries. When we arrived a half bottle of the local wine and a basket of fruit were in the room to welcome us. Air conditioning was available in every room including the reception area and the beach area, accessible by an underground walkway, meant you could bathe with the benefit of the breeze from the sea.

Children were made very welcome and although our holiday during high season in the school holidays, there was so much for them to do that they did not become a problem, the grounds are spacious and well kept with attractive gardens even though Rhodes is experiencing a drought at the present.

Will I be going next year? Definitely!"

• Travel date: Fri 1st of September 2006

Hotels near Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes

Stayed at Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes

• Scott W by Scott W

"Take plenty of books ,because no entertainment ,and only 2 english channels on tv ,which is news "

• FamilyYork by FamilyYork

"Don't go if expecting 5 star. "

• danielmechelen by danielmechelen

"search forr another hotel & another area of rhodos "

Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes is also called