Sun Palace Hotel

Faliraki Road, Faliraki 851 00 Greece

Good
( 2023 reviews)

Extremely Poor Entertainment!

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"I would firstly like to state that this hotel is definately not a 4star as I was originally told when booking. It is no where near that rating. I am not a snob, I'm in my 20's and from Croydon South London on a low income. I also did not come to Faliraki to binge drink like most people my age do. I read reviews on here first before going saying how good it was and want people to know my experiences.

And here is a list of some factual problems with the hotel and then followed by problems based on personal opinion. I have split them coz some people have personal preferences when reviewing hotel so can be biased. Mine are based on fact and opinion -

Factual issues
1) When unpacking the wardrobe door fell off, once put back on its sliders, we found that the only way to open the drawers was to take the door off.
2) The swimming pool flooded everyday reaching at least 10m's round the pool so no items could be placed on the floor next to sun loungers and there were not mini tables to put items on. Everyday, different guests had their bags soaked with water. The water which flooded certain areas covered my feet, just an indication as to how much water was overflowing from the pool.
3) There was two bins located around a very large pool which meant kids just left rubbish on the floor. No one collected the rubbish and by the end of the day, when the sun beds were emptying, the sheer rubbish was awful. I understand its the guests responsibility, but more bins would have helped the cause.
4) On two occassions from returning from afternoon lunch, we had found that the maids had left our sliding door un-locked. When you bare in mind we had a ground floor room, I found this totally unacceptable that our possessions were available for anyone who slide open the door.

Opinionated issues
1) The drinks - where do I start? The first drink upon arrival I wanted was an Apple juice. I took one sip and almost spat it out, it was concentrated apple juice with no water in. the first drink my girlfriend had was orange juice, this was water with a drop of orange juice in. Over the next few nights we tried various drinks. the wine must have been the cheapest, nastiest wine we've tasted. The cola, orangeade and fruit juice were very poor cheap versions or the real drinks. The only drinks worth drinking was the water on tap and the sprite immitation. The coffee was equally horrific. The local spirits tasted like they were made on site using industrial petrol, all awful. So as you can see, i spent most the week drinking water and buying real coke from the on site shop.
2) The evening entertainment - SHAMBLES and not worthy of a four, three or even two star - I've been to many hotels around popular european holiday resorts and this comes bottom for evening entertainment. A very poor Elvis wannabe night, an alright greek dance night which we couldn't see as there was no lights on them, a quiz night which involved a handful of people and not the whole crowd, a night by the animation staff involving them miming songs and doing very unfunny sketches, a night of them playing unpopular music to see how many kids dance to each song. No money must have been spent on the entertainment for the evenings which was a real let down!!! The reason being I guess is that, compared to Half Board hotels I've stayed at where the nights were excellent with comedians, bands, dancers etc this hotel was poor because they have no reason to keep you at the hotel in the evening. The other hotel needs your money via you drinking at their bar each night, here since the drinks were covered in the AI price, they dont need you to stay hence why it was poor!
3) The food was alright if you liked chips everynight, and their poor attempt at a chinese night really baffled me when they have great cuisines themselves, why attempt an italian night and chinese night (where chips were provided too). All the puddings apart from fruit had pistacio nuts on them, for some reason. And the puddings were great if you love watermelon 3 times a day! the outside snacks consisted of yep, more chips and sausages. I'm sorry but I fail to understand eating chips everyday when you visit and experience another country.
4) Kids were literally allowed to run free round the whole hotel, even under the face of the security guard. At 12.45am waiting for our pick up back to the airport, there must have been 20 kids aged 12-16 just running round the whole ground floor shouting and screaming.

My personal opinion of Falikraki is that it is a resort just for the English, with tonnes of english, scottish + irish bars and cafes, and tonnes of really cheap and nasty souvenir shops. If you want to experience the Greek culture, you will not get it by coming here. If you like holidays where the whole town is walking round in english football shirts, and want to eat chips every night, whilst watching Big Brother in most bars, then this is definately for you!"

• Travel date: Thu 16th of August 2007

My ears are still ringing!!

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"We are just back from one week at The Sun Palace and I feel the need to write a review.

HOTEL - Great location, food ok and great not to cook for a week and enjoy an all inclusive hotel...BUT...the hotel was really not a 4 star in my eyes let alone a good european 2 star.

We turned up on our first day only to be told that our room wasn't available (it was 7.30pm) and we were ushered across the road to the other part of the hotel on the main road. We refused the room and after me ranting & raving in reception (it was my birthday after all and my dreams of our much awaited greek holiday were fading fast) we were moved to another hotel down the road which was right on the beach & ok.

The next day we came back and had to wait till 2pm for our room to be ready. We ended up staying in one of the renovated rooms and despite it being a lovely room it was right next to the entertainment area/stage where THE MUSIC blasted out from 10am onwards until midnight (with a break only from 12.30-3pm) and I mean blasted! After the music stopped at night, people would sit on and talk till the wee hours of which we practically could hear word for word. I ended up wearing my swimming ear plugs to bed just to be able to try and block out the noise.

Unfortunately the small kids pool was located right in front of the speakers and twice we disconnected one of the speakers as we couldn't even talk to each other. Sure on the other side of the pool the music probably was at a bearable level but with a 2 year old we were largely limited to the kids pool when we swam at the hotel.

The pools were nice (although very very busy and we) and the animation team worked hard but the service by the reception staff and the sound of the entertainment literally blew us away.

However, Our 2 year old son loved the holiday and had a great time with all the other kids - which is what it is all about.

We loved the old town in Rhodes and the beach opposite the hotel to which we would escape to every morning - though you could still hear the music from the hotel nearly 800 metres away!!

I am glad to be home and we are all catching up on much needed sleep. I wouldn't consider ever going back to hotel again as I like to spend my holidays with my family not with 300 other people!! And we will never go away to such a resort/hotel again in peak holiday time - a good learning for next time!"

• Travel date: Tue 14th of August 2007

Beware - Good Hotel IF only you get one of the new rooms

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"Stayed in Sun Palace in Faliraki from 01 Aug to 08 August 2007.

First impressions on the hotel were very good. Great reception area.

Boy, were we in for a shock!!!!!!!!

We booked a family suite, which obviously cost more as it is bigger. The family suite we were allocated was a separate building at the front of the hotel. When we first entered the room we were horrified! We had booked a 4 star hotel and ended up with a 1 star hotel!!

The wallpaper was hanging off the wall in lots of place, there was some sort of mould on the walls (not good if you have a son with asthma), several sockets were hanging off also. The room in general was pretty disgusting and seriously in need of renovation.

I had read in previous reviews that the hotel had been renovated during shutdown last year but obviously not all of it has been renovated.

We promptly went to reception who then showed my partner around another 3 rooms before settling with the 3rd one (room 406) which was the most decent, although still not 4 star and this room still had problems. The toilet was leaking badly, the air conditioning unit was absolutely disgusting and full of black stuff. It was a nightmare returning to this room every day and we tried to stay away as much as possible. The shower unit would not stay on the wall either, so we had to hold the shower hose to shower ourselves!! By the third day, we had the knack of it!

Although the rooms were disgusting, the dining room itself was lovely and we had no complaints about the food. Plenty selection and it was varied throughout the week that we were there. Only complaint was that you often had to wait for clean plates to come out.

The entertainment staff were great and they had lots of activities for both adults and children .... water polo, darts, bowls, table tennis, water aerobics, etc. etc.. They also had the hotel dance at about 12:30 every day which was fun to watch and the music was very catchy!!

We eventually moved hotel room on the Saturday (we were staying Wed-Wed). We had also of hassle in moving as we were told various stories by the hotel staff as to what time and day we were moving rooms. Anyway, the new room that we moved to (room 103) was absolutely lovely. This was obviously one of the renovated rooms and was like night and day from the room (406) which we were initially in. Once we had moved into our new room we enjoyed our holiday alot more.

Faliraki itself is actually not as loud and noisy as I thought it would be. The location of the hotel is ideal as it is out the was but a short stroll will bring you into the main strip. We enjoyed a few nights in the Lobby Bar and the Strawberry Colada cocktail was fab!! There's also free pool table. It does get a bit noisy later on in the strip but it's way out the way of the hotel.

The "All Inclusive" at the hotel was fab also. This was our first time going all inclusive and we would certainly do it again. Plenty food and drinks available.

To summarise, we would maybe consider going back to Faliraki in a few years time and to the Sun Palace if we were guaranteed a renovated room. It would have been a great holiday if we weren't given the disgusting rooms to start with but did enjoy it at the end!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 9th of August 2007

Fab hotel, fantastic island

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"Resort:
Faliraki is one of the most unashamed tourist towns I have ever visited. Full of bars and shops selling tourist tat. Ok if you like that sort of thing, but better to go to Rhodes town, it has more character.

Hotel:
The hotel is about 15 minutes walk outside Faliraki. It has just been refurbished, and looks excellent. Most of the visitors seemed to be Brits, followed by Germans/ Austrians, followed by French/Swiss.

All the accomodation is on three floors. We had a pool view room, which I think was one of the better rooms, as some rooms faced the road. It would have been a spacious room, but for the large sofa bed that had been put in in for my daughter, but it still wasn't too bad. It had a flat screen LCD TV (although the only English language station, BBC world, didn't work between 12 - 6pm due to interference, but we weren't there to watch telly anyway), and a lovely bathroom with very unique fittings. Beds were made and towels left daily. There was also a fridge, although there was an extra charge and we didn't use it as we were on all inclusive, and a safety deposit box which was 30euros (non refundable) for the key.

The food wasn't always wonderful. The breakfast was ok, although the bacon was soggy and the sausages were actually hot dog sausages. Lunch was the main problem, with not enough choice, always fatty/bony meat in some sort of sauce. Would have been nicer if they had served up something like plain chops or slices of meat without a sauce. Dinner was slightly better with themed nights like barbeque or greek night. My daughter found the food not to her taste, ate spaghetti bolognese or soup repetatively, and one time came back to the table with half a dozen onion rings and nothing else. Desserts were always nice though, and I tended to eat a lot of those. On the other hand, the drinks were fine, the alcohol not watered down at all.

The pool was lovely, really big, and it needed to be because it was very busy. There were hundreds of sun loungers everywhere, but they were still reserved by 9am. I am ashamed to say that we joined in with this, getting up at 7am to put our towels on our chosen sun loungers. But unlike some hotels that I have stayed at where towels stay on loungers all day with no one going near them until about 2pm, these loungers were all used almost all day by the people reserving them.

The entertainment was pretty good, and most people joined in. The animation team worked really, really hard getting people to do water aerobics and darts in the morning, table tennis and bingo in the afternoon, and putting on a show or a quiz in the evening. There was also a kids club, and a kids disco in the evening. The animation team were very friendly, stopping to talk to you by the pool,and were exceptionally good with the children.

Things to do:
It was so hot, we didn't do a lot when we were there. The travel agency across the road does very reasonable trips all over the island, well worth going over and having a chat. They can arrange horseriding, jeep safaris, etc. Don't miss Rhodes town, it only costs 15 euros to get there by taxi, and it is a beautiful medieval town, stuffed full of all sorts of shops. The harbour is also lovely, you can see where the Colossus of Rhodes once stood, and admire the cruise liners. Also worth a visit is Lindos, but go early because it gets very hot. No cars are allowed, so get a donkey (also known as a Lindos taxi) up to the Acropolis and see the ruins, then walk back down through the tiny little streets. Just before we left, we spent ten minutes at the donkey taxi rank watching the donkeys, they were hysterical! (Don't worry, they all looked very healthy and well fed).

All in all this was a great holiday. My 12 year old daughter enjoyed it very much. We probably won't be going back simply because we like to go somewhere different every year, but I would recommend it to families with children, however don't bother if you're looking for a quiet, romantic getaway!"

• Travel date: Mon 6th of August 2007

Enjoyed our stay

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"Just returned from the Sun Palace Hotel, had a wonderful time, hotel very clean, towels changed daily sheets every other day. The pool was very nice, but full of people playing bat and ball and people floating round on their lilos, this was a nusance. The only time you could have agood swim was early morning or lunch time when people were having lunch.

Food very nice, but very repetative, pork and chicken most days, but in different sauces, salad bar very nice, childrens bar had the same pasta every day, I'm sure they must have got fed up of this.

Now we talk about the bar, the range of drinks was very limited vodka, peach snaps and cocktails, they were all very much watered down.

The entertainment team was very good, but on the days Sarah wasn't around there didn't seem to be as much energy, Sarah was a very very good entertainer.

I can't believe I got my husband to play BINGO, and he even won.

We had a wonderful time and we have seen Rhodes, wouldn't return to Rhodes, but the hotel was very good, Faliraki and the area let Rhodes down, not a very clean place"

• Travel date: Sat 4th of August 2007

Absolutly Fantastic!!!

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"My partner and I have just returned from a fabulous week's stay in the Sun Palace Hotel. When we got there we were immediately greeted by the warm welcome of the hotel staff, and although our room was still being cleaned, we were kindly shown the resturaunt and offered food and drink whilst we waited. Once our room was ready, (which only took about 45mins) we were greeted by a clean and welcoming room, with a view of the pool. The room itself was spacious and the bathroom was to a very high standard - towels were changed daily. Although our room was overlooking the pool, we could hear no noise of the entertainment in the evening, nor could we hear noise of younger couples returning from a night out in the resort.
The food was to an extremely high standard, and had a wide variety of choice for all ages and tastes. Drinks were also readily available, although the only slight complaint is that the alcohol was rather weak and "watered down".
The pool is large with sun loungers and umbrella's for all. Its the only hotel I've been to, where you dont need to get up at 6am to put your towel on your lounger!!!!
The animation team were also fantastic with the children and although we do not have kids, anyone can tell that they are dedicated to keeping the children ammused and adding to the enjoyment of their holiday.
The beach is no more than 5 mins walk from the hotel and again is beautiful. It's a very quiet part of the beach that the hotel is near, but for younger holiday makers like ourselves, only a short walk up the beach takes you to the lively area with beach bars and water sports.
The local pubs and bars are also amazing. Definately try King Arthers - which is in the form of a castle with a fully sized round table and King Arther himself watching from below - you'll know what I mean when you see it!! Also Bedrocks is another amazing bar with the Flintstones theme - fab cocktails is all I can say! As you go further into the resort the bars get more crazy and so do the reps trying to entise you in. Matrix and 24 are good, but drinks can get a little pricey!
My partner was a little hesitant about going to Faliraki due to the noise and the whole "clubbing scene", i can tell you honestly that Faliraki is the best place we have ever been too. The nightlife is loud, however its not like you'd expect. Its not full louts fighting on the streets and causing trouble, when your out everyone talks to eachother and i can honestly say i 100% enjoyed myself.

Now we are back home and cannot believe it has gone so quickly, we are however thinking of booking a late deal in september and going back out for another week as that is how much we enjoyed the Sun Palace."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of July 2007

Great All Inclusive

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"This hotel came as a recommendation which lived up to expectations and more, easily meets its 3+ star rating.
We were made to feel welcome by the reception staff in the magnificent marble tiled reception area. We were directed to our room on the first floor, but the lift was very small however, the stairs were easily accessible. Rooms were very clean, tidy and modern with plenty of space and good balcony view.
The restaurant meals were well presented they had a different theme every night with wine, beer, soft drinks and icecream on a self service basis. Meals and alcohol was available all day if required, the best AI we have been too.
The pool was clean and warm, plenty of sun loungers and brollies. Entertainment by the animation team was a bit second rate on a night but they were very friendly and good with the kids during the day. The seating area around the pool bar gave a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere.
We would recommend this hotel to all going to Faliraki as it is on the outskirts of the town, but within easy walking distance of the town and beach."

• Travel date: Fri 13th of July 2007

Try this hotel

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"Where do I start ? We stayed at the Sun Palace from 6 June -20 June 2007 on arrival the reception allocated our room very quickly.The rooms are clean but on the small sideTV in room with BBC news and euro newsTowels changed every day linen every two days cleaning staff very good.The food in the hotel very good a pity they put sauses on the meat dishes.Complain to head waiter people would rather add their own sause not always garlic.Plenty of wine tea or soft drinks with every meal
it was quite good Breakfast & lunch plenty to eat & drink
when the meal had finish in dinning room they would open snack bar finaly closing about 11pm bar closing at 12 o clock
At the pool bar you can help yourself to tea and soft drinks all day and night with ice water on tap not forgetting the ice cream at the snack bar help yourself 10-30am to 12-30 ---2--30 to 4 30
and 9-30 to 11pm.The.Entertainment although the animation team led by Sonia tried hard was poor certain times of the day they insisted playing drum and disco music loudly no peace.
We booked two trips a island tour and went to Turkey for the day
There is a travel shop across the road from hotel where you can book Manwel will give you a good deal and honest information a very nice man. much cheaper than with the Thomson Rep.The supermarket also across the road is own by Australian family you have the daughter Vicky father Eric & mam Anastasia.could not do enough to help you Eric even took me down by car to the cash machine when i was low on money.Behind supermarket down steps there is a Welsh bar where the owner Berni who knows everything and gets a bit boring or big headed will play bingo if there is enough there and fair play every euro taken is payed out.Faliraki town is about 20 minutes walk on the road but why not stroll down along the beach.You must call in the bar called the lounge where you can go on the net for 20 min for 1 euro Marie (Scotish)and Barbera will serve you a ice cold beer or cherry squash sit back on the sofa with the air blowing from the air conditioning. wow you are in heaven what a wonderful welcome.Hope you find this review helpful Would rate our holiday at Sun Palace very good would go back.

Clive Carole Andrea Richard"

• Travel date: Mon 25th of June 2007

Wedding Fever

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"Stayed at the Sun Palace last week. My sister had stayed at the SP several times before, with her two young girls (8 & 3). this time, she was staying there as she was getting married in Lindos. In our group was 2 young couples with kids, an older couple, and me and hubby. The hotel was very clean, and it's very modern by Greek standards which was a nice suprise. Location: at the top end of Faliraki. Which I think is the best place to be! You have the option of going into the centre, which takes a 5 minute stroll, and touring the pubs (which are family friendly) or staying out of the rabble and enjoying your day by the pool.
I was a bit aprehensive at staying at SP as me and hubby normally go for non-kid resorts; we didn't want to appear as the grumpy couple who tut at kids splashing or moaning about hearing the cheesy hotel song for the 40th time by day 3. (God I sound old - I'm 26!) However, I was pleasantly suprised - had completely the wrong impression of Faliraki. Hotel wasn't too noisy, there was entertainment in the evening (Miss Faliraki, Greek singers/dancers, Quizzes for all nations) if you didn't want to join in the pool games you weren't hassled by the Animation Team...And as it's all inclusive - if it does get too much, hit the bars!! Failing that, buses to Rhodes town take 20 minutes and theres always Lindos (further South) which is absolutely beautiful - think we'll be staying there and explore Rhodes a bit more next time!
All in all - a good experience. This town is nothing like it was reported to be 5 years ago. My one complaint is the lack of meat-free food. Unfortunately, if you are vegetarian, you might come back slimmer than when you arrived. Which, in retrospect, isn't a bad thing....."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of June 2007

great hotel!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"we stayed at sun palace hotel in 2005 and found every thing great! the food and drink was really nice something to suit everyone. rooms were clean and tidy. the staff were real friendly. there was a little pool for kids and a large pool for adults. pleanty of sun beds so u did not need to rush for them. go on trips as they are really good try the water park as you will have lots of fun there on all the slides and the wave pool. there is some entertainment in the hotel such as quiz shows and things like that. hope u have as much fun as we did have a great time!!!!! if there is any questions please contact us!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ed, sue and jess from n. wales."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of May 2007

Exellent value for money

Reviewed Tue 9th of July 2013

"We booked holiday because of the waterpark and the age of our children (10 & 12) after being to the Aqua Blue waterpark hotel in Egypt I was a bit disappointed with how small it was but actually the kids loved it and there was a friendly atmosphere.

The rooms could def do with updating our first room was right by the night entertainment, as my son suffers from migraines we asked if we could be moved somewhere quieter which they did after second night. Second rooms bathroom needed updating but other than that it was fine.

The entertainment was the best we had ever had on any holiday, they all worked so hard, but could do with some more entertainment for teenagers at night (two pool tables is not enough really).

Food, again the best we have ever had in an AI holiday

Would I go back? prob not because we like to go somewhere different all the time but would def recommend it

• Travel date: Tue 9th of July 2013

Best holiday ever

Reviewed Thu 27th of June 2013

"Great family holiday for kids of all ages. Animation team were great fun & brilliant with the kids.Hotel was very clean & all staff really friendly. Food was really good, plenty of choice even for my fussy kids. Snackbar at the aqua park was the best. All pools were well kept & really well manned by lifeguards. Beach & Faliraki centre are only a short 10minute stroll away. Local bus stop right outside the main entrance & it's very cheap & easy to use the local busses. This hotel is also very practical for wheelchair users & people with mobility problems. We are already planning to return next year."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of June 2013

Hotels near Sun Palace Hotel

Stayed at Sun Palace Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Sun Palace Hotel

• a.mackie by a.mackie

"ideally suited for beach holiday for a younger generation , lively pubs for clubbing "

• a.mackie by a.mackie

"Lindos village and Rhodes old town , and the water park "

• ford mondeo by ford mondeo

"nightlife good for teenagers and young people also older people if you like partying. "

• ford mondeo by ford mondeo

"dont miss going to lindos or bottom of island where the aegean and med meet "

• Annette by Annette

"dress code very casual in evening. "

• Willo by Willo

"Visit the beach and the water park and go and visit Rhodes Town "

• Susan T by Susan T

"A trip to Rhodes old town "

• Nessie Noodle by Nessie Noodle

"Old town Rhodes is a must "

Sun Palace Hotel is also called