Hotel Calypso

Faliraki 85100 Greece

Good

3rd Time at the Calypso......and still lovin' it!!

"this was my 3rd stay at the calypso over the last 5 years, and again has failed to disappoint me.
The staff are a delight (especially George & Stavros at the main bar).
The pool, rooms, beach, restaurant are all clean & tidy.
The food is excellent (lunch is good but caters more for Germans/Italians - but there's always something.....salad, chicken, kebabs etc).
New this year is that you can have one meal at the Al a carte restaurant. this was lovely and is well worth a visit.
The only problem we had was that one night in our bathroon, water came up through the grate in the floor and flooded the bathroom and some of the bedroom. The maid & maintenance guy were there in a shot though and soon had the blockage seen to and the mess cleared away.
I will definately be back at the Calypso again in the near future!!
Enjoy!"

• Travel date: Tue 4th of September 2007

great hotel but some problems

Good

"my wife and I are just back from the calypso, while the hotel its self is first class my wife an i found that there were 300 Germans and us!
We are in our early 40's ,scottish ,and mix with people very easily,we were only there for one week{thank god} and in that time seen one other english couple,who in fairness did talk back and forth but had kidds and obviously liked it that way!
we found that we were over powered and everything was catered for our german friends,we found ourselves listening to "MY WAY" on the karaoke in german subtitles,I am not bringing down any other nation ,im saying if you are english take plenty of money because you'll need it to go into Faliraki for ure entertainment."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of June 2007

Best hotel i've stayed in.

"Me and my boyfriend booked a last minute deal with Thomson to this hotel, we only went for 3 nights 4 days but it was fantastic! We were
the first people to check in for this season, there were about 22 british people in the hotel altogether all off the same flight!! Because it was so empty the staff really catered for everyones needs,
they were extremeley polite and friendly! We were given a sea view room for free "because we were the first to check in" and a discount on late check out (for 6 extra hours only 18 euros). The all inclusive is amazing, all the alcohol, nearly every international brand which was a suprise! The only thing was they could have labelled the food! As im a veggie and my boyfriends just fussy! Room was lovely, bed a little uncomfortable but we really didn't care because we were having such a good time. Right on the beach with lovely sea, pool is gorgeous but a little cold! They have a slide which is fun, but you get stuck....! Just a really good hotel."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of May 2007

Loved every minute, would go back now if I could

"This hotel is in such a good location with so much to do in and around it. I went for a week on 23aug06 and really wish i had gone for 2 weeks. The people on here who talk about the dirty rooms i have one word to say...whatever! the maids cleaned everyday and tidied up after us bless them. The hotel itself has the majority of guests from italy and germany, but that didn't put me off at all as they were all very friendly and most spoke some english. ALL the staff spoke excellent english and at the pool bar all they play is english music. All areas are kept clean and tidy and sparkling!!! getting a sun bed at the pool is a bit of a nightmare, but getting one at the beach is easy, so we just went there and then flitered between the beach which has clear blue water which is great for snorkling to see fish and the pool. The restaurant food is good, theres always some type of pasta dish and meat dish on the evenings as well as fresh fruit and salad. The snack bar has food all day long and drinks (grasshopper cocktail highly recomended!!!!) as for the area.....water park is a 15min walk away...be warned it is up a steep hill. Falaraki is a 10 min walk away but staying at this hotel you get no noise from it at all. there are some good shops in the small shopping centre which is also a 10 min walk away...some great genuwine fake watches and bags!!! I would get a one-way ticket back now if i could!!!!"

• Travel date: Fri 15th of September 2006

"Spent a week at this hotel at the end of May and loved it!
Hotel immaculate, beautiful reception area and spotlessly clean rooms! My friends and I went on an all-inclusive basis and although some of the foods seemed 'samey' from day to day (usually during the lunch period), there was a lot of variety for breakfast and dinner. The hotel put on a banquet for Greek night and they had themes throughout the week, such as seafood night etc. There were still the other varieties though to cater for all tastes. The Greeks are lovely people. Hospitality second to none, service excellent and entertainment going on throughout the day and into the evening. The only thing I would recommend is that entertainment goes on later into the evening.
We paid a little extra at the time of booking for a sea view room. We arrived in the middle of the night and we could only see the seaview if we walked around the balcony. It was late so we didnt bother about that at the time, however the following morning I spoke to reception who were more than helpful. I was given keys to another room straight away and told I could check it out and decide if I wanted to move. It was a larger room with a beautiful view, so I took it and there were no hassles. The following day there was a large bottle of wine and a plate of fruit in the room, apologising for any inconvenience I may have experienced. I didnt expect it and to be frank there was no need for the hotel to do this as I was quite happy. Still, a nice touch to keep the customer smiling.

Beach wasnt totally to my liking, as it was a bit gritty, but I wasnt too bothered as I spent each and every day by the beautiful pool.

Took a trip to Marmaris in Turkey whilst there. Hated it! Great for those wanting to barter and buy cheap tack with fake designer names, but not for my friends and I. We were only there 20 minutes and couldnt wait for the boat back. Not really a place to go as women on your own as you get hassled by practically every man in the bazaar. Definitely wouldnt recommend it unless you're with a bloke already and you like wearing nasty stuff. Beautiful scenery though, and I can only hope the rest of Turkey is no reflection of Marmaris.

Anyway, hope this review is a little helpful. Give the Calypso Hotel a go, it really is in a beautiful location and you cant go wrong with the services it has to offer. It was predominantly German, and they're not the friendliest bunch of people with little manners, but we just carried on regardless and didnt let the rudeness get to us. Put it down to a culture thing and felt sorry for them really. How sad to be looking so miserable all of the time.

Well...happy holidays everyone.

S"

• Travel date: Sat 17th of June 2006

Best part of our Greek holiday

"Our experience at the Resort was wonderful. The staff went out of their way to please us. The room was clean, the food was great. They provided great entertainment every night. We would definatly recomment this hotel. We are not quite seniors, but we are not young either, and we loved it.
Andy and Joan Goutsis
Calgary Alberta Canada"

• Travel date: Tue 30th of May 2006

We loved the Calypso

"On arriving at The Calypso, we were very impressed, the hotel is in a good location, close enough to Faliraki but far enough away. We paid extra to have a sea view, which I would recommend, we went out on the balcony when we arrived at 5.30 am and the view was spectacular, with the pool below, and the beach just ahead.

The room was very spacious, and very modern, having been recently refurbished. The bathroom is a little on the small size though. There is a TV in the room, which is free of charge, a fridge, which was stocked with drinks when we arrived, and there is also a Safety deposit box which was free of charge.

The hotel is multi national, while we were there, there were Italians, Belgium, French, Czech, Dutch, but most of all there were Germans. About 90% of guests were German, with not many British at all.

The food in the hotel was good, with a wide variety on offer, and we didn’t have the same meal twice. However the breakfasts were more catered for the Germans, with German sausages and under cooked bacon. The snack bar was excellent, even though it was the same sort of food daily.

The staff in the hotel were most friendly, and very helpful. Especially Christos and Seva in the Restaurant, and Maria on Reception.

The entertainment in the hotel was a bit hit and miss. There is an Animation team, who to be honest tried there best, but they work all day as well, and there shows weren’t that good. Every few nights though there was other live entertainment, which was quite good.

The pool area is gorgeous, with a large free form pool connected with bridges, a slide for children and lots of waterfalls. There are plenty of sun beds, but not enough for all guests, so you have to be up early to get one, we watched the Germans putting towels out at 5.30 am. From the pool there are steps down to the beach, where the sun beds in front of the hotel are free to hotel guests, if we couldn’t get a sun bed by the pool we usually managed to get one on the beach. The sea is lovely and clean, but beware of the shingles going into the sea, and be very aware of jelly fish. We didn’t see any, but we know of someone that was stung on their first day.

We hired a car for the weekend, and virtually saw the whole island. I would highly recommend Lindos, where there is and amazing Acropolis, it’s quite a hard walk up to the top, or you could go by donkey, but it is well worth it. Then we went to Parasonisi, which is the very southern tip of the island, where you can sea the Agean Sea meet the Mediterranean Sea. There is also the most fabulous beach, which is about 500m wide from shore to shore. It was very clean, with no shingles. It was also very quiet, and there were only a handful of people there.

The next day we went to Rhodes Town. I would highly recommend that you go to the old town and the harbour, they are amazing. The Palace of the Grand Masters is a must. We also visited Rhodes town a night, and sat by the harbour the views are spectacular.

Next we went to Monolithos Castle, which is mainly in ruins, but still worth seeing. Then we had a drive through the Island to the Valley of the Butterflies, where thousands of moths gather in the main summer months. There were only a few there when we went, but there are the most amazing waterfalls to see.

Forgot to say, that while we were there it was my birthday, and on the day, there was a knock on the room door. He had brought me a birthday cake and a bottle of wine, courtesy of the hotel management, and neither of us knew anything about it.

The only problem that I really had was that I was bitten quite a lot by mosquitoes, especially if I went out onto the balcony at night, and I had a bad reaction to them. Other than that, everything was perfect.

Over all, we really enjoyed out holiday, and will probably go back in the future."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of July 2005

Amazing stay in Rhodes

" A couple of years ago we went to the Calypso beach hotel in Kalithea,Rhodes, and were going back this year after a years break trying somewhere new (Turkey which was awful!!) I just wanted to say how amazing the hotel was (and hopefully will be again this year). The staff were really friendly and helpful, as where the rest of the Greeks when we ventured out of the hotel.
The hotel is situated perfectly with only a 10 minute walk away from Faliraki, so you have the choice of wondering down for a night out but you arnt close enough to have the continuing noise throughout the evening.
The food was amazing and i thought there was a wide selection for all tastes and as for the alcohol we were amazed at the wide selection of branded spirits and fantastic cocktails, we took full advantage of this and drank so much it probably paid for the extra you pay for all inclusive compared to self catering.
If you are going to stay at this hotel make sure you go on the Jeep Safari, its the perfect way to see the Island and they take you some amazing places hidden away!!!!!!!
The only warning I will give you is that there are quite a few Germans that stay here, not a bad thing if you like a quiet relaxing holiday without the obligation of having to be sociable and chatty!!!
This hotel is a must stay and we are really lokking forward to going back!!!
p.s. also pay a visit to Zobars restaurant (on your walk into faliraki look out for it) the managers Yani and Clara are really welcoming and the food is amazing!!!

• Travel date: Tue 24th of March 2009

lovely clean hotel...not so many shops a...

Good

"lovely clean hotel...not so many shops around though...you have to go to turkey for that!
food lovely, everyone friendly, great weather and relaxing holiday!
Lovely overall, but didnt think much of Thomas Cook as a Tour Operator!"

• Travel date: Thu 24th of July 2008

hotel was great staff where great but no...

"hotel was great staff where great but not enough english fokes . food was the best i have had with all inclusive but not a great selection. even named drinks where in the inclusive . now the bad points . the germans putting towels on sun beds to early we ended up havin to go down at between 5 and 6 to get a nice place . and the insects in the trees were Deafening . it was very loud . shaw that is something they can do about that .now rhodes its self . not goin to moan any more about some uk prices of drinks and meals . in rhodes was very very expensive . was very surprised . there was not many there . cause of the prices . but back to the hotel . would go again. was a great holiday

• Travel date: Thu 17th of July 2008

I thought I.d add my review as it may he...

Good

"I thought I.d add my review as it may help others when deciding if this hotel/resort is for them.

We booked up 2 weeks all inclusive last week of May/1st week of June for our honeymoon, unfortunatly I did not look into the reviews before, as I probley would not have chosen this hotel.

The hotel itself was really nice, clean, modern and pool area/beach very nice, but 90% of the guests were German, nothing against the Germans but it meant that we were limited in people to talk to and mix with, the food was plentiful but caterd more towards the German tastes, having said that though, we always found something that we liked.

The television was tuned into mostly German speaking channels and most of the staff (who were very pleasant and helpfull) spoke in German when doing the activities i.e water arobics and suchlike, by the way, the actiivies by the pool area were very loud and noisy!! good fun if you like that sort of thing but not for us really.

The weather was nice, just right, wouldnt have liked to have gone during July/August.

The evening entertainment was not that good, thought being such a big classy hotel there may have been some more outside acts appearing, mostly the (kids) staff performing on stage.

Not much going on outside hotel, took a walk some evenings, very barron, a few souvenier shops, a little train takes you around or a bus stop directly outside hotel which is handy, also a little ferry right on the beach.

We didnt venture far, well, it was our honeymoon!! but heard that Rhodes old town worth a visit and also the castle ruins in Lindos.

one word of warning though, take plenty of mosquito repelant!! they made the evenings a nightmare for me!!

Would we go back again?? yes, if I was of German nationality!! having said that, we spoke to an elderly English couple who had been back 11 times!!

So there we go, We hope this review will help you in deciding if this is the holiday destination for you.

Angie and Joe Johnson. (Hemel Hempstead)"

• Travel date: Tue 10th of June 2008

Absolutely amazing place to spend our ho...

"Absolutely amazing place to spend our honeymoon. The animation team were brilliant - in particular Wesley who made our holiday incredibly fun. We made great friends and will def want to come back. It was amazing weather and the location was perfect. Great hotel, the only downside being there weren't many who spoke English, but other than that it was wonderful and suitable for people of all ages. "

• Travel date: Wed 28th of May 2008

Hotels near Hotel Calypso

Stayed at Hotel Calypso? Share your insight.

Hotel Calypso is also called