The Rodos Star Hotel

Dreadful Village.

Reviewed 12th November 2014

"The Rodos Star is cheap but not cheerful. Its a place to avoid. As for the village of Afandou, there is only one word to describe it........SLUM! The Village of Afandou is filthy. There are stray dogs eating from bins all over the village. The locals are abrupt and surly or rather creepy if they think they can extract money from you. There are a few mediocre bars in the village square. Nothing memorable. Another bar half way along the main road in the village looks like it hasn't had any money spent on it from the time of the Ottomans. What makes it worse is that 1960's pop music is played at volumes which may well be heard back in Liverpool! Buildings are scruffy, unfinished or falling down. This really is a terrible village. DON'T GO! "

• Travel date: 12th November 2014

Avoid at all costs

Reviewed 10th June 2014

"If you start with the worst reviews first, you will get the truth on what a truly awful hell hole this is! All of the bad reviews on the "well known" holiday review site stay on for a day or two the mysteriously vanish to dupe unsuspecting holiday makers into booking this hell hole - watch the site and see for yourself. I put my honest review with pictures as evidence of how dirty it was on 5 times and despite writing directly to the CEO who gave me his word that it would stay on, it has yet been removed again? Anyway, for the review..... What a NIGHTMARE from start to finish!!! WORST HOLIDAY ever. This hotel is an absolute FILTHY DIRTY HOLE.. This place is a ticking time bomb and if that if it was open for business in England, Environmental Health would have a field day with prohibition notices. The hotel is right at the top of the steepest hill ever, but this was not an issue, what concerned me more was what was at the top when you got there - felt like crying every time the hotel came into view First night we got there, the first room they put us in was on the ground floor - it was more disgusting than the second. There was black mould all up the walls, the bathroom was that scaled up, I am amazed that you could turn the tap to get the water working - pure squalor. Immediately asked for another room which again was not much better. The cleaners do not know the meaning of clean. The sheets were not changed every day but were changed once in the 2 weeks I was there, as I had spilt coffee on one of the bed sheets and it was there for a week. Towels were changed everyday but you could tell that some of them had been washed and others not. Looked under the bed there was filth and dust there (see photos) from when we got in the room which was there when we left. Yes, whilst the bathrooms are dated, there is no excuse for the filth that they don't even bother to try and clean. There was debris all around the taps of years of hair, scum and goodness knows what other matter (see photos). And if you are thinking of having a few lie ins on your holiday, then forget it, as yes the cleaners do barge in around 9.30 and will not take no for an answer. But this is not so they can go through the motions of cleaning, but just so that they can report back on any glasses you have taken up to your room from the bar. But considering that after day 2, I wouldn't even drink there, let alone eat this was not a problem! Which brings me nicely on to the food or rather not!!! The food if that is what you would call it, is not " typically" Greek, it is food from the day before disguised in some sort of sauce with the breakfast frankfurters thrown in for good measure - how stupid do they think people are??? It is absolutely swarming with FLIES AND COCKROACHES everywhere, which yes understand it is hot, but they make no effort by either trying to cover the food or have any fly trapper machines to control this. As for the chefs, well where do you begin. They handle food whilst smoking and look like they have been given a makeover by the cleaners - if that is what is preparing your food, amazed that the flies and roaches are still prepared to eat! Think it says it all when even the hotel manager and staff send out for takeaway food rather than eat there!! The staff put on this theatrical caring performance which you can see straight through - again do they think you are stupid??? Truth is they they couldn't care less about complaints. There was one vile poor excuse for a woman there that was shouting and screeching like a fishwife in reception, her behavior was disgusting and totally out of order, blowing everything out of proportion at some of the children about some comments that were made regarding her trouble causing daughter and they just sat and watched her screaming at them and did nothing! Drunken men were dancing on tables shouting and swearing at 4.30 in the afternoon around the children, again they did nothing. The response from the manager is that he could not do anything about people's manners - what manners??? The pool I did not go in as took one look and could not see the bottom. It also didn't help witnessing the cleaners down first thing keep dipping their sweeping brushes in and out of the pool to clean the area around the pool and then sweeping it back in. You couldn't even relax around the area as the sound of the cicadas in the trees screeching at 100 decibels made it unbearable and at times you could hardly hear yourself speak (look them up on YouTube and see for yourself). Sun beds were old and broken with a lack of umbrellas, which if you did manage to get one were given filthy looks by one family who you would have thought owned them and had bought and paid for them their selves. As the hotel was such a disgrace went out every day/night which has ended up costing a fortune. Afandou itself is totally run down with stray cats jumping out of open bins everywhere and the smell of drains hit you as you walk into the village. It is not safe here as the bikes and cars tear up and down the narrow streets at high speed with no consideration whatsoever for pedestrians who have to walk at the side of the road due to the lack of footpaths. The restaurants are expensive and again do not look to clean. Found that the Greek people here were unfriendly and slammed change on counters without so much as a thank you for your custom - and they wonder why their economy is in such a mess! Another tip do not book with LOW COST HOLIDAYS as after a couple of days tried to get them to move me to another hotel and they were completely useless and told me everywhere in Rhodes were fully booked up and they couldn't do anything other than offer me somewhere else at an additional cost of between 2-3k or would refund £200 for me to find myself another hotel - gave up with them in the end because it was clear they didn't have any intention of helping I have written this to warn others and if you are still thinking of visiting this awful excuse for a hotel after reading this review - good luck and don't forget to take plenty of euros as you are going to need them to either move to another hotel or spend your holiday getting out and away from this filthy, unhygienic hell hole!!!"

• Travel date: 31st May 2014

fabulous place

Reviewed 2nd April 2013

"we stayed for 2 weeks at the rodos star may/june 2012, i can honestly say it was one of the best holidays ever, we love greece & her people all of whom from the management down were all so welcoming friendly & helpful, we felt right at home straight away & met some lovely people who we have remained in touch with, the hotel has a wonderful relaxed friendly feel about it which makes everyone chat & get to know each other, we loved the food! the room was fine basic but clean with a fridge which was very useful, the drinks were standard all inclusive no problem & the staff were first class, afantou was a lovely typical greek village with very friendly people the local gyros are amazing! to sum up a well run hotel brilliant service & staff in a wonderful greek village at an amazing price would go back in a heartbeat"

• Travel date: 29th March 2013

Not as good as they say

Reviewed 28th December 2012

"We stayed in September while the first impression of the hotel is good we soon changed our minds when we got to our room it was scruffy the toilet was running constantly and the plugs were hanging out of the wall the bath had mould round it and the window cill was black where the shower had been hitting it we found long black hairs in the fridge and bath patio was filthy and gardens were full of fag ends . We put our case on the bed and it fell through glad it wasn't a child we went and complained and they fixed the loo, botched the bed so next day it broke again, we found the manager only spoke to staff and that was to put them down, we saw people smoking in the kitchen and behind the pool buffet area, we witnessed the cleaners take wet towels out of a room and put them straight on the washing line , we did complain to the manager but he was so unhelpful i would go so far as to rude, he was only interested in the young girls. The reports about the hill are correct but the walk to the beach would challenge the fittest person. The entertainment was one night a week Greek night again all about the boss. We love the waitresses they worked so hard, but we do feel they need to look at this place and regrade it more like a one star. Also be aware of scammers in Rhodes town doing scratch cards we got caught five hours the kept us there and it's taken us a ten week fight to get our money back, never will I get caught again lesson learnt there"

• Travel date: 28th December 2012

some people are never happy

Reviewed 12th September 2011

"I have been reading some old reviews and all I can say is the people complaing must have been to a different rhodus star hotel. I returned in from the same hotel in the early hours of this morning, and all I can say is we had a brilliant time. The hotel in not 5* but the sercive was better than any 5*, where else would the owner join in with the entertainment, and greet all his guests every day. My grandson had a accident at another resturant during our stay and the joint owner cannot temember her name was so helpful, we cannot praise her enough. The food was always hot, and yes maybe not too much choice, we none of us starved. The waitresses and both the barstaff were charming and friendly. I would not recommend and one with walking difficulties going to this hotel, the hill was a killer. A bit of a struggle with a two year old in a push chair, but we managed. As for the rooms not being clean, I copuld not fault the clealiness of the rooms the tgowels and the bedding. I went to Turkey last year and their idea of cleaning was certainly not nine. If you want a5* hotel pay 5* prices"

• Travel date: 8th September 2011

Recommend this holiday

Reviewed 9th June 2011

"Just spent a week at the hotel The staff were warm, welcoming and efficent, the food was great typical Greek cuisiene and a plentiful selection of other dishes, excellent variety and good value for money. So good in fact we plan to return for our wedding anniversary in September"

• Travel date: 7th June 2011

Fantastic!!

Reviewed 21st September 2010

"Myself and two mates from work( ALL LADS),booked up for the Rodos back in 2009. Let me start by saying the hotel and service was Fantastic!. We arrived at the hotel at about 1am and was met by a young lad and girl, they looked about 11 or 12, but they seemed like they knew what they were doing!. We were given our keys for the room and sent on our way to find the rooms!, There is no lifts and we had loads of stairs to climb up with all of our suitcases1, eventually, we made it to our room. Firt impressions were "Clean and tidy", there was 4 single beds, wardrobes and a clean bathroom with towels and also air conditioning and a safe, which you will have to pay for, it works out at about 7 euros a night each for the safe and A/C, be CAREFUL, we stopped for 2 weeks and gave all the remotes and keys for the safe back to the receptionist a few days before we departed and they tried to charge us the for 2 weeks. The meals were really good. Breakfast was from around 8-10am, Dinner was outside by the swimming pool and bar, it was about 12-2pm and tea was about, 7-9ish!. the meals and deserts were in my view, very good!. The swimming pool is a decent size and very welcoming in the heat. If you wanted a sunbed, you had to put your towel on a sunbed about 8 or 9 in the morning, but there is space on the grass. There are two bars, Inside and outside by the pool,the waitresses which were very pretty, russian I think, were very good and friendly and the family who ran the hotel were pleasant enough, although, the barman in the inside bar was very ignorant and NEVER changed the channel on the TV, all that was played was greek basket ball, they had a couple of greek singers on, but nothing special!. If you want entertainment, walk down the very steep hill into Afandou town, which has some nice bars and resturants and are open well into the wee hours of the morning. The walk back is very tiring as the hotel is on a hill, not very ideal for wheelchair users or old people, unless they get a taxi. If you like your nightlife, Falaraki is about an hour away and only costs about 8 euros to get there or back. If yo walk down to afandou, there is a beach not far and also a small land train that can you and the family to the beach for about 3 or 4 euros!, WATCH out for motorcyclists!, they are lethal and have no respect for anyone on the road. If you go to main reception, they will advise you of local car hire companys. get a car and drive everywhere on the island, becuase there is tons to see. I enjoyed Rhodes town, becuase of all the shops. Matt"

• Travel date: 19th September 2010

nice staff and hotel.didnt like the hill!

Reviewed 14th September 2010

"Very friendly staff,food was plentiful,and varied.Not much entertainment greek nights on monday and karaoke on friday.Not much for kids to do except play in pool or play a game of pool.Hotel is situated on a slightly steep hill which the elderly or infirm could have problems with.A taxi will drop you off from the village for 5 euro.walk to village from hotel takes about 6 mins,to the beach about 25 mins."

• Travel date: 14th September 2010

brilliant

Reviewed 24th August 2010

"what a wonderful holiday we have just had thassos and his sister were charming as were all the staff i was shocked to read the other reviews as i did not experience any of the things they say ma and my children had a brilliant time and will defo be going back if u want 5 star then pay for it dont expect it when u go to a 3 star "

• Travel date: 24th August 2010

Do not go here.

Reviewed 13th August 2010

"After not having slept for 24hrs, we arrived at the Rodos Star Hotel at 6am. We were told where our room was and when I walked in, I was immediately hit with the aroma of stale urine - I looked in the bathroom to find a very filthy suite that clearly hadn’t been scrubbed in many, many years: the toilet was a splatter with stains and grime; the bath was black with rings of grime all over; the shower head was black with clogged dirt, the floor was filthy and the glasses by the sink were filthy. The bedroom was equally dirty with black damp mould climbing the walls in every corner and behind the beds. The sheets were full of bits (which I assumed was sand), and hair, dust and dirt was everywhere. Fortunately the lady staying in the room next door had packed marigolds and flash wipes (her room was also foul and dirty) and she leant them to me so I could give the room a good scrub. The next morning when I complained, the hotelier came to the room and shouted at me, saying it wasn't dirty, I was seeing things and making it up (even after I showed him the filthy flash wipes that were in the bin), he said I was just looking for dirt and what did I expect... 5star!!! He told me to speak to the tour operator and arrange to be moved. I then went out to look at the pool.... It was green and I couldn’t see the bottom of it!!! When the rep arrived at 10am she came to my room and agreed that it was dirty... she said that the owner will get the cleaners in again. When I explained that I had stayed in a 3 star hotel in Turkey the year before which was 10 times better, she said that this is Rhodes and it is very different here! The owner arrived and again shouted at me and said that I was just looking for dirt and he wanted us out of the hotel. The rep said that she couldn’t put us anywhere else as everywhere was full and the owner finally agreed to move us to a different room in 2 days. We spent those 2 days away from the hotel and just used the room to sleep in. The pool remained green for the first 3 days as the filter had broken the week before. We didn’t get to use the pool until the fourth day (and even then it was still dirty. In order to keep cool we had to get under a luke warm shower! Everything in the hotel was at an extra cost, the beer was watered down. The barman was very rude and did not allow you to get a drink for anyone else apart from yourself. There was a really nice and spotlessly clean bar and apartments next door which was brilliant (Scala Apartments and Bar)- the beer and cocktails were very cheap and not watered down and the family that run it were very lovely. We spent a lot of time there along with most of the guests from the Rhodos. This was, by far, the worst 3 star hotel I have ever stayed in and would never go back. "

• Travel date: 13th August 2010

Do Not Stay Here

Reviewed 11th August 2010

"I have just returned from a week at this hotel. The oweners shower you with false promises and 'smiles'. Every morning the owener approached at least one guest 'telling' them they had to change room. They don't appear to be able to schedule their rooms very well. the bedlinen was dirty, towels absolutely filthy. The room was 'cleaned', but very little evidence of this. The 'entertaiment' was sitting playing cards - if you had a pack. There was little choice of food - very repetative. If yo like chicken and rice you may be okay - served everyday. The beer tasted watered down, the cocktails were half measures - the barman was rude and unhelpful, often shouting guests if they did not return their glasses. Would never recommend this place. "

• Travel date: 6th August 2010

Nice relaxing holiday

Reviewed 13th July 2010

"This hotel is ideal if you want a nice low cost relaxing holiday to sun bathe, drink and cool off in the pool. The food was excellent and a good variety of drinks until 23:00 We are a family of 4 with 2 young teenagers, so we did visited Rhodes old and new town which is a 40 minute bus ride and walked down to Afandou village for a change of scenery on a few occasions. The older teenagers and 20 something’s in the hotel did go into Falaraki quite a lot in the evenings for a bit of action, which I believe is 12 euros in a taxi. The hotel is very clean and most of the staff are really nice and polite. Although it is advertised as all inclusive there are no bar snacks available between meals, which I have always had on previous all inclusive holidays, however this was quite a bit cheaper, so on balance we had more spending money. We had fresh towels and room cleaned every day. Air con 7 euros per day but needed (we stayed in June/July) In a nutshell if you want a cheap, quiet relaxing holiday in the sun this is the place for you. "

• Travel date: 8th July 2010
  • ...

Hotels near Rodos Star Hotel

Top traveller tips for Rodos Star Hotel

• by MJaneM

"Go elsewhere and avoid like the plague!"

• by Jo-anne M

"if you want a typical greek experience in a lovely place with fantastic people go here"

• by shazbot

"Visits Rhodes old town easy to get to by bus, and lindos all haqve lovely beaches. Even Falirtaki has a beautiful beach"

• by bluemoon

"In a nutshell if you want a cheap, quiet relaxing holiday in the sun this is the place for you"

• by llanwyn

"i liked afandou, but faliraki had a better nightlife!"

• by Sophbutch

"Lindos is beautiful, although dont book via the rep"

• by madonna london

"rhodes town and Lindos"

• by madonna london

"The island of Rhodes is beautiful and the local people very friendly"

• by sarahg13

"Lindos and Rhodes old town"

• by BarryHorwell

"fandou is a small but lively village with a beach served by a "Noddy train" to the beach."

• by skewhol

"Welcoming and friendly"

• by vickie kidd

"we went to Lyndos its a must see place."

• by vickie kidd

"beautiful laid back town with very friendly people"

• by Mary and Ian Lee

"Must see Rhodes Town - Bus Afandou to Rhodes for 2 euros!"

Rodos Star Hotel is also called