Sun Palace Resort & Spa

Good
Good

Wonderful family holidays

Reviewed Sat 14th of February 2009

"We were suspicious when we saw the old reviews on this web site, but they aren't correct. The hotel looks new and can be described with 2 main words: friendly and cleanliness.
Garden architect made really good work when locating hotel bungalows, flowers and trees and hotel roads.
About the rooms nothing to say, everything was very good clean and big.
There was always plenty of food with fast replenishment of any missing items (no empty plates at all). You can find standard international cuisine with Italian pasta and some fishes or other seafood. Greek cuisine was presented mostly for dinners
There was enough staff able to deal even with evening peaks and allowing everybody to get his table in case of quite big main restaurant was full.
There were no shifts in restaurant for dinners like in other hotels.
.You can find sun umbrella and chairs in area of swimming pool even at 12: 00 (free of charge). There were always at least 1 or 2 free during entire day.There is regular wind on the beach and therefore
. It could be windy and cold for general beach holidays (T-shirts will be appreciated on the beach) - but will offer other possibilities for trips across Kos.

• Travel date: Sat 14th of February 2009

very good time

Reviewed Sat 14th of February 2009

"The Hotel Sun Palace in Psalidi was a perfect family friendly resort. The hotel offered excellent leisure facilities and activities. There were fantastic restaurants and bars in the hotel´s immediate vicinity. The staff's ability to negotiate guests' complaints was good. The competence of the staff in their ability to communicate in other languages was quite good. The cleanliness of the restaurant was found to be of the highest quality. The atmosphere and furnishings in the bar and restaurant areas were very pleasant. In my opinion the children's entertainment and care program was very good indeed! All the leisure activities on offer were very impressive. The room's amenities and furnishings in Hotel Sun Palace were found to be of the highest standard.

• Travel date: Sat 14th of February 2009

We didnt want to go home any more

Reviewed Thu 12th of February 2009

"The hotel Sun Palace is in very good condition and offers a fantatsic variety of leisure activities. When we visited Hotel Sun Palace in 8/2008 checking-in to the hotel was handled well.Both the quality and taste of the food are really good. Hotel Sun Palace offers extensive children's activities and care. In our opinion, the rooms at Hotel Sun Palace are immaculate and the bathroom was very good."

Positive experience

Reviewed Thu 12th of February 2009

"The Hotel Sun Palace in Psalidi was excellently clean and renovated in 2008. The hotel had adequate transport connections and excursion options. The check-in process was extremely smooth. The restaurant was amazingly clean. The atmosphere and furnishings in the bar and restaurant areas were very pleasant. In my opinion, the pool was simply fabulous. The room's amenities and furnishings in Hotel Sun Palace were more than adequate."

My holiday in Kos!!

Reviewed Thu 12th of February 2009

"i was in Sun Palace Hotel in september 2008 with my family,for two weeks,from the first sight the stuff was friendly,and ready to help you.The hotel was full renovated in 2008 and the standard of the service and food was very good.The entertainment for the adults and kids,was excellent and make us to enoy our holiday.We suggest the hotel for people who are are looking for a balance beetwen standard and rates.
Enjoy it because is worth!"

Wonderful hote,Wonderful holidays

Reviewed Wed 11th of February 2009

"Hotel was in january 2008 total renovated and consists of 170 rooms distributed between the 3-storey main building and smaller 2-storey buildings of bungalows.The check-in process was a pleasure.The rooms are modernly furnished and are equipped with a private bathr.The hotel was excellently clean. Hotel staff are very kind , food is realy good (we only miss more variety of fruit). The beach (black sand - it is vulcanic island) is 400 m from hotel. Beds and umbrellas at the pool and on the beach are free of charge. And the most important thing - the weather is fantastic - SUN, SUN and more SUN with very kondly wind. Wonderful holidays!!!!

• Travel date: Wed 11th of February 2009

This place does not even deserve a 1 sta...

Reviewed Fri 22nd of September 2006

"This place does not even deserve a 1 star. Where do I start, the food was terrible as everything tasted of eggs. Free drinks consist of rola cola and cheap beer. The pool although it looks good on the photos was not clean.

Entertainment wasn’t good apart from the comedy night which was great if you were German as this the only language they speak. Cockroaches in the hall ways and the standard of safety was extremely low (Young lad cut foot on glass beside pool, banisters were very loose).

To top it off when our flight was delayed I was offered the 'communal shower' as a room which was full of urine and hadn’t been cleaned in at least a year, which I was actually going to be charged for before refusing and having my keys taken from me.

Sun Star leisure are the worst tour operator in the world ever and helped to ruin the holiday even more by not providing a different accommodation so I booked into the maris and then the panorama which were unbelievable with the service they provide.

I must say though ' Although the hotel was terrible' Kos is a beautiful island and would recommend the 'Old River' restaurant just after kos town. Please follow my advise and stay in the ilberostar Maris or panorama because you as they are meant to be the same star ratings they are actually 4 unlike the sun palace which is a respectable 0.0002 star. :)

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of September 2006

My boyfriend and I (both 21) spent 2 wee...

Reviewed Tue 13th of December 2005

"My boyfriend and I (both 21) spent 2 weeks at the Sun Palace in July. We booked the holiday through teletext as a last minute deal. My boyfriend and I were not fussy where we went and are not fussy eaters, but this is honestly the worst place i have ever been to.

FOOD - We booked all inclusive because we didn't want to have to carry large amounts of cash around, and, since neither of us are fussy eaters, thought the food would be ok. We were wrong! Breakfast wasn't too bad - cereals, fruit, hard boiled eggs. Some days we were lucky and had scrammbled eggs and frankfurter sausages. There was also a large variety of bread available - rolls, french stick etc. There was chocolate spread for kids and biscuits (however, greek biscuits are not like our biscuits, but they were ok!). Lunch however was more disappointing. Again there was lots of bread and some nice salad dishes (carrots, tomatoes, pasta salad) but the hot meals were vile. For one lunch the only hot choices available were veal, liver and stuffed tomatoes. This was appalling. The food was always luke warm at the best of times. Dinner was much of the same, but a few more dishes. I would like to stress that there never more than 4 options for the main hot meal. We saw chips once in the whole 2 week stay. Most nights the only potato option was mashed potato. Deserts were nice, with lots of cakes and mousse which was yummy. Only problem was that the deserts was swamped with flies, but, in such a hot country, this couldn't really be helped. I would like to add that although the hotel says they serve snacks, they don't really. All they do is these biscuity things and ice cream and this is just from 3-5pm. However, they run out really quickly.
We went into town to eat every night - we couldn't eat the food at the hotel, it really was bad.

DRINKS - Drinks were all inclusive which was good, and the waiters and waitresses were very efficient. The pool bar sevice was fantastic - i never had to wait more than 2 minutes to be served. However, after 11pm you had to pay for your own drinks - 1 euro for a coke! This was a joke - especially when the entertainment was still on some nights and we had to pay for drinks! There is a shop directly outside the hotel so we used to go there and buy cans - they are only 0,70 and they taste real! The drinks in the hotel were very watered down and didn't taste very nice.

POOL - The pool was lovely - not really big enough during peak season, but was the cleanest pool i have ever seen. There were never any flies or anything floating about in it, although the Germans often barge into you and stuff.

ENTERTAINMENT - The entertainment during the day was excellent. Although the animation team were german they made the effort to speak in all langauges. They were excellent with the kids, and did games every hour (water polo, aerobics, dancing, mini golf etc). The evening entertainment wasn't so good - it began with a mini disco for the kids which was good, but the show itself usually only lasted an hour. The shows were very good, but many were in german so we couldn't understand what was going on.

ROOM - The rooms were okay, very basic but very clean and spacious. The maids made our bed and gave us clean sheets every day, which was good.

LOCATION - Unfortunately the hotel was not within walking distance of the town, and we had to get a bus, but this didn't take too long. It was only about 15 mins and the bus stop was directly outside the hotel. The beach is within walking distance of the hotel - about 10 mins, but it was very rocky and the sand wasn't very nice. There is a water park near the hotel which is about a 10 minute walk.

PROBLEMS - Where do I start! During the second week of the holiday, we woke up to find that there was no water and no electricity. There was no water to have a shower, and barely enough to clean our teeth. The drinks machines were not working by the pool, and staff were having to pour drinks out of small bottles. By 11am, they were running out of these bottles, and, when I went to get a drink I was told they had no coke. There was a small shop opposite the hotel, so I had to go to the shop to buy myself drinks. I understand that it was not the hotel's fault that the power went, but I do not expect to go to an all inclusive hotel and have to walk to the shop to buy a drink. The power was not back on until about 1pm.

I cut my foot on a piece of glass that was round by the pool. All drinks by the pool were served in glasses, even to small children, and, as you can imagine, many of these got smashed each day, particularly as there was nobody collecting the glasses. When glasses were smashed, it was the guest who had to go and find a member of staff and ask for a dustpan and brush. Also, a toilet door at the pool bar fell off its hinges and collapsed on my head on the 3rd day of my holiday. I understand that this was an unfortunate accident, but the door was not repaired during my 2 week stay at the hotel. Dangerous for children.

Overall, we were very disappointed with this holiday. We booked all inclusive because this is supposed to be a 4 star hotel, promising good food and drinks: it certainly did not serve it. I did complain to the hotel manager during my stay but there was no satisfactory response, and the quality of the food did not improve. Please think before you book this hotel!"

• Travel date: Tue 13th of December 2005

Whilst I agree with the comments about t...

Reviewed Mon 21st of November 2005

"Whilst I agree with the comments about the food and agree that this was probably a 3 star resort I will have to disagree with some of the other comments made.

Firstly, you get what you pay for through teletext, we were told it was a German resort and frankly we didn't mind. There were a number of Brits there but actually it made a pleasant change not putting up with the average loutish behaviour that you would expect to get from a completely British resort. The Germans were far more reserved (and funnily enough they did not put out their towels at 6am!)

Secondly, the kids entertainment was excellent and my kids aged 2 and 6 had so much fun despite the language barrier. The organisers made such an effort to include the kids and many of them spoke English.

We have decided that if we can get the same deal we will go back again, despite its shortcomings. The aforementioned 4 star hotel down the road was impressive - yes, but is was 3 times the price and full to the brim. I know where I would rather go!

• Travel date: Mon 21st of November 2005

Booked four star all inclusive holiday o...

Reviewed Sun 31st of July 2005

"Booked four star all inclusive holiday on teletext. What we got was no more than two, or three star at the most. Food very repetitious, entertainment fine if you happen to be German. The comedy night was a bit awkward as you don’t know when to laugh. Air conditioning didn’t work properly.

Excellent staff, very friendly.

Bit too quiet really. Too far out of town. 300 yds down the road a four star German hotel and that’s what you call four star. Outshines the sun palace without a doubt."

• Travel date: Sun 31st of July 2005

Generally •Linen changed & room clean...

Reviewed Sun 31st of July 2005

"Generally

•Linen changed & room cleaned daily

FOOD – Not good

•Breakfast – Every day – Hard Bread or rolls, Sweet bread, cake, jams, creams, Eggs (usually omelette, scrambled, hard boiled – sometimes fried, but hard) and frankfurters.

Cereal – flakes, muesli (both cheap and not at all nice) Fruit - only melon. Fruit juices bitter (only Grapefruit juice was OK).

•Lunch - Hard Bread or rolls, salad (including some surprising leftovers e.g. cold Brussels sprouts and frankfurters chopped up), turkey, pork, (meat – hard if not in a sauce) and chips. Sweets – Cheap mousse based cakes, melon.

•Dinner – SAME AS LUNCH – Plus soup, pasta and more sweets by the addition of crème caramel, jellies.

No croissants, toast or fresh fruit – NO VARIETY..

BARS – Not good

•Only one open with one set of taps and one barperson serving at any time

•Again fruit juices were bitter

•Cocktail each day was a fruit juice mix usually with vodka

•Drinks generally weak

ENTERTAINMENT – No Good at All

•COMPLETELY GERMAN – Would not have minded if occasionally some English was used

We know that it is a German Animation Team – but the Kids and Teenagers were intimidated and could not join in with any of the “games”

(The Mini Club for Kids is non existent)

• Travel date: Sun 31st of July 2005