Apollon Hotel

Nea Alikarnassos Lambi, Kos Town 85300 Greece

Good

Before we booked this holiday I made sur...

Good

"Before we booked this holiday I made sure to read the reviews of others, many of the reviews did mention that the food was not very good although I still decided to book as my partner and I are not very fussy eaters.

I was therefore extremely disappointed to find that food was close to unbearable! There are very few British staying at the hotel and I could certainly tell that the food was geared towards to German holiday makers with cabbage and vinegar. We only ate at the hotel 3 nights, even the waitresses who are very nice would laugh and exclaim that the food was horrid.

This did however cost us a lot more than what we had planned therefore could spend less money on other things. However we tried not to let this spoil our holiday and we would laugh about it with the other British guests. The breakfast was also rather horrid and we didn’t bother with this in the end as none of the food was cooked it was just bread and Greek yoghurt.

The hotels gardens are beautiful and you can tell that they are looked after. The pool area and floors were spotless and our rooms were always cleaned with fresh towels which made the whole hotel feel much better. It is a shame about the beach outside the hotel as its more shingle and rocks and unsuitable for swimming or bathing. We did however hire some quad bikes and buggies, which enabled us to tour the island ie, Zia and paradise beach which was great fun and refreshing. Kos town is pretty nice with lots going on and a taxi ride back is only 4 euros or so.

We did the Turkey trip which was not run very well and got scammed by Med hotels as you can do it on your own for less than half the price. Didn’t think much of bodrum as being a young girl I was pestered and felt intimidated by the locals and their selling all of the time. Our Med Hotel representative was extremely irritating on trips and was not around much of the time and did not deal with any of our complaints regarding the food. We decided to leave it although we have not received any vouchers from Med hotels for compensation and this is 6 months down the line.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone who gets a cheap late deal, and treats it like a self catering holiday as the atmosphere is relaxed, quiet and incredibly clean. (I hope they pay their cleaners well as they deserve it). All staff spoke many languages and were generally more than happy to help. if the food had been good it would rate it 9/10
Hope this helps

• Travel date: Wed 4th of April 2007

The location of this hotel in Lambi is g...

"The location of this hotel in Lambi is good, with easy access to shops, bars/restaurants and beach. Kos Town is 30 mins walk away for a livelier nightlife.

However, the noise levels in the hotel are beyond belief. This is not because the guests are unacceptably noisy but because the walls are thin and the doors made of metal so every key in a keyhole can be heard from several corridors away. Every footstep reverberates on the hallways .We could hear the guests next door flushing their toilet and brushing their teeth. We asked for an alarm call every day but never needed it because the noise of the hotel woke us up hours before anyway.

If you like food, do not go to this hotel. We stayed half board and found the food unsatisfactory. Breakfast is buffet style but with little choice and not enough quantity. Hot breakfast was only offered every other day and then it was scrambled eggs and bacon, no sausages, tomatoes, baked beans etc. On the other days it was just cornflakes, cheese, ham or yoghurt. No fruit, toast, pastries etc.

Dinner is a set menu with three choices and no vegetarian options. The cooking is old fashioned (1970s) and very salty. The portions are mean and at first we thought it was a joke! A typical meal would be obviously instant soup, pork kebab with chips and a side salad and then an apple. We have stayed in many half board hotels of this standard and have always been offered a buffet style dinner with abundant salads, breads, hot options, cold meats, pastas, vegetables, cake, fruit and desserts. We were forced to buy additional meals in restaurants outside the hotel.

The only redeeming thing about the Apollon hotel is the friendly service. The waitresses try their best and obviously have never worked anywhere else so they do not know how bad their food is!

I would recommend the resort of Lambi but not this hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of April 2004

My partner and I booked our holiday to K...

Good

"My partner and I booked our holiday to Kos a week before we went. I had been to Kos the previous year but I could not recall seeing the Apollon Hotel. I had read reviews of the hotel on the Internet and I was distraught as the reviews were awful! The reviews detailed a noisy, unclean hotel with rusty baths! However when I arrived I was delighted. The Apollon has a grand entrance with palm trees and beautiful flowers. The reception was huge, immaculate and the reception staff were very friendly. In fact all the staff are friendly.

My partner and I did not stay in the luxury rooms; we stayed in the basic rooms. Our room was 268 which is in the old block but you would not think so. The hotel has been completely refurbished. Our room had brand new furniture and a newly fitted bathroom! Our balcony looked out onto the gardens and the ocean.

Our only complaint about our room was that the walls are quite thin. You can hear noise from next door but it wasn’t that bad at all. The basic rooms do not have air conditioning and the room was muggy at night especially when it had been 30 degrees that day! However a fan solved our problem. It must be said that the previous year I stayed in a 4 star plus hotel in Kos and there was no air conditioning either.

I am an extremely fussy eater and I found the food lovely. Breakfast is buffet style. There is toast, cereal, fruit, rolls, cheese, ham and yoghurt everyday. Every other day there is hot food. There was more than enough to choose from. For dinner there is a set menu with three options. There is always soup, pasta or a pie, your choice of meal and then desert, which can be a sweet or a piece of fruit. Vegetarian meals are available on request. The restaurant manager meets and greets all his guests and makes sure he knows you by name before you leave for home.

The location of the hotel is excellent. There are countless bars, shops and restaurants near by. The beach is directly across the road. It took my partner and I about 20 minutes to walk to Kos town centre.

My partner and I had a wonderful holiday at the Apollon. The hotel caters for everyone, from 18 year olds to 80 year olds. The hotel is cosmopolitan just like Kos itself.

• Travel date: Mon 31st of May 2004

This hotel would be ideal had we chosen...

"This hotel would be ideal had we chosen self catering, the rooms were clean, a good size it was well situated, not far from everything and the pool was ideal. It was quiet and relaxing... However... the food...what can I say.... we were there 14 nights and only 5 times could we eat the food, it was salty, minimal and swimming in olive oil which according to the horrible little man in charge was good for you!!! On scrambled eggs!!! I think not!! The waitresses were polite but would insist they were busy even thought here were only 8 tables in for the best part, the head waiter was a rude little man who insists men wear trousers for dinner.... it was 35 degrees what sane man would make you cover your sun burnt legs??? A 5 minute walk though and you were at the friendliest bar you could find.. The Delon.... Good food, English beer and a laugh, just ask the waiter about his new motorbike and you’ll be amused for hours!!! Good cocktails too."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of June 2004

The Apollon hotel surpassed my expectati...

Good

"The Apollon hotel surpassed my expectations. My partner and I booked our one week holiday a couple of days before we went. We got the entire holiday for under £200 each. I didn’t expect much of the hotel but I was proved wrong.

The Apollon is a wonderful hotel and is staffed by the friendliest Greek people I have ever met. The room was spotless. I stayed in the basic room, which was lovely. No air conditioning though! Buy a fan! The food in the restaurant isn’t the best food I have ever tasted but it was nice enough. I ate there every night apart from our last night when we treated ourselves to a gorgeous dinner at the harbour.

The Apollon hotel I think is not given the praise it deserves. It is a relatively unknown hotel. Med hotels is the only UK travel company that operate there at the moment but I think bigger companies will soon start to operate there too.

A fantastic hotel, in a superb location. on a wonderful island. Perfect."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of June 2004

We booked our holiday through last minut...

"We booked our holiday through last minute.com. The hotel was advertised as a superior three star hotel.

When we first arrived at the hotel our first impression from out side was wow, there were palm trees surrounding it, it had Greek pillars exactly how we had imagined it.

The reception area was impressive. Once checked in we were given a set of keys and told we had a room on the ground floor. We followed the instructions and as we turned the key and opened the door, to our horror, the room smelt damp, there were no windows, and there were dead flies on the walls and the ceilings. the toilet was filthy and the shower curtain mouldy. my children’s faces dropped and we took a deep sigh. There was no way that we could stay in this room for even a day let alone a week.

I complained to reception and was told quite abruptly that the hotel was full there were no other rooms available for three people and that we would have to stay there at least one night. I asked to speak to the manager and was told the manager was not in and that I could speak to the reservation supervisor at 7pm. It was 1pm when we arrived therefore we were expected to wait 6 hours before being able to resolve the problem.

The reservation supervisor was even more abrupt and rude. When I complained about the flies she said that they were not flies but were mosquitoes. surely that did not make it ok.

Luckily due to the help of a representative at Med Hotels, we managed to be moved to another hotel across the road. The Atlantis, which was excellent. It had clean rooms, helpful staff and beautiful surroundings and we managed to enjoy the rest of our stay. Lambi area was full of restaurants & bars. The Flintstones cocktail bar is a must with fantastic cocktails some original, friendly staff and a happy hour every evening where you pay almost half compared to other bars."

• Travel date: Sat 31st of July 2004

My friend and I loved it. It wasn’t th...

Good

"My friend and I loved it. It wasn’t the best accommodation we have ever been to but for the price we paid we didn’t expect the best. The apartment was nice and we had aircon. The maids didn’t do the best job of cleaning but at least we had clean towels everyday.

We didn’t eat there purely because we never got up on time for breakfast or got ready in time for the evenings, but we found some nice bars to have some good meals. Supermarket is literally on your doorstep so that was handy. The staff were very helpful and found us a kettle (they didn’t have to ) as didn’t have one. It was quite noisy about 2 or 3 in the morning as you could hear people walking up the corridor but heard no other noise other than that.

The pool was lovely. All in all we had a lovely relaxing week away. I wouldn’t rush to book it again but if i wanted to go for a quickie holiday and ended up back there it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

• Travel date: Wed 31st of August 2005

My partner & I booked it as a last minut...

Good

"My partner & I booked it as a last minute holiday via online teletext. A beautiful looking hotel - really well kept grounds & lovely exotic plants. Fantastic pool & always plenty of beds. We upgraded to a superior room which was in a newly refurbished part of the hotel & glad we did as we heard that some of the rooms were a bit dismal! The room itself was excellent & maids did a satisfactory service, clean towels. making the beds etc... good view over the hills.

The area of Lambi is quiet and beaches generally good, lots of excellent restaurants & tavernas however the area was winding down when we arrived. Quite a lot of Scandinavian & Dutch in the resort & this was reflected (we think) in the food at the hotel restaurant, only ate in there twice & its was dreadful so despite paying for the food we ate out the remaining 5 nights! the service in the restaurant left a lot to be desired & boy did you get canned if you were down for breakfast a minute after 'closing time' Breakfast VERY basic & cold scrambled egg was an experience ugh!!

Kos town is great & really buzzing at night well worth the walk in - takes about 15-20 mins but is a pleasant stroll.

All in all a good holiday but we’ll go self catering next time!!

• Travel date: Wed 31st of August 2005

Hotels near Apollon Hotel

Stayed at Apollon Hotel? Share your insight.

Apollon Hotel is also called