Zeus Hotel

Kefalos 85301 Greece

Beautiful Kefalos

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"ZEUS HOTEL KEFALOS KOS

We have just returned from a weeks holiday 10th september 2008 at the Zeus Hotel.

The hotel was lovely and clean, we had a double room for 4 even though we were a party of 2. 1 double bedroom with own balcony and 2 single beds leading into shower with a curtain toilet plus another balcony. Both rooms have plenty of storage for cloths.

The rooms had a hairdryer and a iron. NO FRIDGE. we both thought that a fridge was an ecentual thing, as the temp were 37++ each day not nice waking up to warm water!!

We read other reviews on this site and took on board about ear infections from the pool! The swimming pool was well used all week and was CLEANED EVERYDAY by owners and we felt sure we would have heard from talking to people at the bar in the evening if there were any problems. We did not use the pool as we enjoyed the sea everyday ,but on our return from the beach we would enjoy a drink round the pool. The sun beds were excellent with a good thick mattress and umbrella. some beds were in the shade.

The bar area was lovely, with lovely leather sofas, which was designated as the non smoking area. then there was another area for smokers leather chairs and tables + seating at the bar which worked extremely well, it catered for everybodies needs. The prices at the bar very reasonable mythos 2 euros barcardi and coke greek measures 3 euros.

Breakfast was disappointing, although we did know it would be a bread roll and jam, we had it once then went out to breakfast. i personally feel scap the breakfast and call it self catering, then maybe we may get a fridge!!

We had beakfast at T42 that was excellent. we ate at hubs in the evening excellent. Lunch on the beach at Katarina Crab salad +++. You are spoilt for choice with tavernas i didnt hear a bad point about any of them.

The resort is lovely, everybody friendly and the beach is lovely, the sea is like a warm bath clean and clear. Only a short walk from the Zeus Hotel.

We will definately be returning to Kefalos and the Zeux.

We were caught up in the XL Kosmar crash, even though the owners were not getting paid for our room and rightly upset about the hole thing,there was no mention that they wanted any extra money from anybody staying. Although it had been said some people had been thrown out of there accomodation in the resort! or asking for more money.The owners of the zeus said they had lost 20 rooms over night and £20,000. The information that came through was good and we were flown home by an eygtian airline. Thank you abtol well done with rescue.

I would have scored above average if it wasnt for the fridge."

• Travel date: Sat 20th of September 2008

very poor

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"stayed at hotel zeus would not stay there again, very basic . Towels on the sun beds when nobody was there, and breakfast was a joke, 1 bread roll and diluted orange I don't know how they dare call that breakfast"

• Travel date: Wed 17th of September 2008

Zeus Hotel - never again!

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"This was our second visit to Kefalos and we were really looking foward to it after two fantastic weeks at the Athinoula Hotel last year.

When we arrived at the Zeus we were disappointed as the bar was very noisy and the reception staff not very welcoming.

On arriving for breakfast (beside the pool) the following morning we were surprised to see that all the sunbeds had been reserved, which turned out to be a good thing for us. The beds were so close together you could touch the person next to you. The lady behind the breakfast counter was so miserable. Breakfast was disappointing - we did not expect full english but when you are told orange juice you expect that, not the orange squash we were offered. You helped yourself to breakfast and were expected to clear your plates away.

Each night we had to make our own beds as the maid took the sheets off the beds and folded them up, leaving them on the bottom of the bed.

One day my isband cut himself shaving and got blood on the towel. The maid took the dirty towel away but did not leave a clean one. There was rarely staff on the reception area so we were unable to get a clean towel until much later than needed

I wish we had gone self catering as I seemed to be doing everything I thought I had paid for.

On the plus side, we found a wonderful pool at the Ionikos Hotel just over the road and down towards the beach (about 5 mins walk). The staff werre very friendly and welcoming.

Great place to eat - Taverna Kampos - it is a little walk but well worth it. We were a family of 4 having a main course each, bottle of wine, glass of cider and a soft drink followed by dessert which was usually free of charge along with the second round of drinks and the total bill was usually not much more than 30EUR. On our last night the staff gave us a bottle of wine and a half bottle of ouzo. We were so sad to leave. Another great thing about here was that everything on the menu was available in children's portion so they did not have to live off pizza and chicken nuggets for the duration!

I would not go back to Hotel Zeus but we have been offered self catering apartments at the Taverna Kampos and are considering returning there next year."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of September 2008

A fiair hotel for the price

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"We booked to go to the Zeus from 7th June 2008 - 14th June 2008, perhaps realised on the last night that this was indeed probably the week before their season properly starts, the plus points were no screaming kids, the negative point was that the bars were very empty so not alot of atmosphere. Decided to go to the Zeus just for a cheap break (£476.00 for both of us for a week - bed and breakfast), as going back to Cyprus later in the year. It 's 20 mins from the airport so good transfer time. The hotel its self is set back off the main road so very little noise, but the rooms are basic, and I mean basic. The beds are so hard that the sun lounger are more comfortable. This may not be a problem to many people but it was to me I'm afraid. I had to sleep on top of the bed, with a further two blankets folded up on top with my travel blanket to cover me just to try and make it more comfortable. Little tip, there is only one pillow per bed (single beds pushed together), so if you need an extra pillow, fold one of the blankets up and leave it under your pillow, they then leave you another pillow as they take the hint. The hotel itself whilst clean is noisy, due to the doors banging as people go in and out of their room, this is because of the hollow doors, and everything seems to echo around the corridors. The bathrooms are kept clean by the cleaners, we didn't get fresh towels everyday but managed as there is somewhere to dry clothes off outside on your little veranda. The TV's only show sky news, no other channels that would probably be of interest. The breakfast as mentioned on other reviews is poor, a tea-cake with butter and jam, coffee or tea and a glass of dilute orange, but we managed, and I have to say that I now have a craving for bread rolls (they were fresh everyday). There are plenty of places to go for breakfast's, 'Hubs' is just up the road, a lovely man owned it and for 5 euro you got a full english, toast & jam, tea or coffee and fresh orange juice. There are plenty of bars but you will need to walk between them, avoid the Dolphin bar (has a big guitar on the top), on our first night we got ripped off (another couple we met had a drink with us), the idea was that we bought a round and they bought a round, we left earlier than them so my other half actually paid the full bar bill (35 euro), the next day they collared the other couple and made them pay aswell, it was only when we bumped into them later that it got mentioned and we realised we'd be duped, we did go back to the bar but didn't get anywhere. On the last day we did hear of another couple being overcharged/duped - just be careful and pay for your beers as you have them, don't run up a tab which they do encourage you to do. Of all the places we ate, we have to recommend Rainbows. They do various set menu's and other food but the portions are more than filling and they always finish the night with a free Metaxa. We ate there 3 times and didn't discover it until the Wednesday. Bikes and buggies can be hired cheaply (£11 - £17 euro a day), Kefalos streches probably over a mile, and can be walked in about 20 minutes. Beware of fake perfumes, Whilst they openly sell fake perfumes, I bought some original Eternity from one of the supermarkets there, it looks like and smell like a copy so didn't get a bargain after all. Fags cost £28.00 euro per 200 (£23.00 GBP), needles to say I brought back a years supply - lol. Anyone one any hints/ advice, please don't hesitate to contact me."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of June 2008

Friendly hotel.

Reviewed Sun 14th of October 2012

"Me and my boyfriend got back from a four night stay in the Hotel Zeus this morning, and we both found the hotel a great base for a relaxing stay in Kefalos. The room's are basic, no tv's, but there are big tv's and plenty of company in the bar. The pool area is beautiful, and the prices of the drinks are extremely reasonable. We found the relaxing nature of the whole resort to be a big plus, everyone's so friendly! I'd recommend going to the Riverside Cafe for breakfast (If you like a nice fry-up like me), as the hotel only provides bread rolls and jam, and Supermarket Jim across the road sells everything you could possibly need, and the shop attendants were chatty and remembered our names. For dinner there's an australian restaraunt a short walk down the road from the hotel called Rock Garden, which serves great food and even better milkshakes!

The beach is great, much nicer than Paradise Beach further down the coast, which is a bit spoilt by the amount of loungers they seem to have squeezed on it.. You're supposedly meant to pay 5 euros a day for a sun lounger, but we were only asked for the money once, on our last day. (Even then they only charged us 5 euros for two).

We rented quad bikes one day, which was a great idea. It's fairly cheap (Anything from 13 to 22 euros per day), and it gave us the chance to explore a bit more of the area. We rode to Kefalos town, which overlooks the resort. It was definitely an experience! The locals live in the small town, so it's a lot less touristy than the resort itself, but it's a bit too far to walk. The views were spectacular and the town looked like something from a movie set, very surreal! If you're planning to rent quad bikes, scooters or go karts, make sure you get insurance online first, which cost us £25 for both of us. Third party insurance is included with the rental, but in the small print it states that neither you or the bikes are insured, so an accident could set you back a few pennies."

• Travel date: Mon 9th of June 2008

Fantastic experience

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"My husband & I went on holiday to Kos Island, Greece for a two week break this August. We stayed in Hotel Zeus in a town called Kefalos, the hotel is family run & has a very relaxed & friendly atmosphere.
Once a week the hotel had a Greek night this included a barbecue & then a quiz with some prizes for best & worst teams. After this the family did some traditional dancing encouraging guests to join in, this was great fun & friends of the family would drop by & join in.

The rooms were cleaned daily & there is always someone about if you need anything, there was a television in each room & an air conditioning unit installed. Many of the guests were returnees; one couple had been coming to the hotel for over four years.

The hotel is set back from the main road through Kefalos, noise from the town was minimal as the hotel is situated at the edge of the town; it is about ten minutes slow walking to any of the restaurants. There is a shortcut over to the beach which has a fair bit of shingle, however, there are quite a lot of sun loungers provided & the shingle disappears about two feet into the water to a firm bed of sand.

I would recommend Hotel Zeus & am already planning to go back there next year, this time with our teenage daughter."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of September 2007

Brilliant break

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"We ended up at the Zeus through a chain of misfortunes (Car breakdown in France, the original hotel in Kos being overbooked), but what a piece of good fortune for us. The Zeus is family run (they live in the house next door) and they are lovely people. It was World Cup time, and we all got used to greek accented shouts of 'Come on England' or 'Victoria' every time David Beckham appeared on the TV screen. The hotel is spotlessly clean, with a superb pool and a very lively bar. There are tavernas and bars within easy walking distance, and all in all, we had a week of perfect relaxation. Kefalos is the quietest of the resorts on Kos, but there's still plenty to do. Loads of Watersports, or you can do the mad dogs and englishmen stuff that we did one day and walk up to the old village in the middle of the day. Local buses are regular and cheap and an excursion into Kos town is worth it. Would we go back? You bet we would."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of August 2006

loved it!!

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"i went to the Zeus hotel in august 2005 with my family. I can put my hand on my heart and safely say that it was the best holiday of my life so far.
There was plenty to do for everyone. The town was not far away, so my parents could have a stroll up there, and then the local clubs for me and my sister! the atmosphere was great!
At the hotel the staff was very friendly and welcoming. Most of the guests all became friends and we even came together to play sports in the pool during the daytimes. for example, water polo, and lylo racing! The food was excellent! great value for money. I think the hotel is situated in a perfect spot.Not too far from the town, not too far from the beach, but it was still peaceful and quiet.
I am definately going to return back to the zeus hotel one summer!"

• Travel date: Wed 29th of March 2006

Outrageously relaxing hotel

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"My wife and myself arn`t in the habit of going back to the same place twice as life is to short however we have just returned from the Zeus for the second time because it`s GREAT.Very friendly family run hotel with a very relaxing air about it.Its located on the edge of Kamari Bay(Kos Town side), its a fair stroll down to the marina/harbour area approx 1Km but there`s plenty of resturaunt/bars on the way however it`s not particuarly lively which suited us !
Breakfasts at the hotel are just a roll and tea or coffee anything extra has to be paid for so if you like your full English every morning then go to the english run cafe` approx 20meters away or consider Blackpool for your hols.The pool is fine with ample free sun beds and the poolside bar serves drinks and snacks up untill 1800hrs...after then its the indoor bar for drinks .Only one negative point and that is there seems to be a lot of slamming of room doors particuarly in the early evening.This hotel makes an excellent base for a hol on the island of Kos, due to its location hiring a car although not required it will enhance your hol no end ! ENJOY"

• Travel date: Sun 24th of July 2005

we`ll be back!

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"We`ve just had a brilliant week (21st Aug 04) at Zeus. thanks to all.
We wanted a relaxed, chilled, unhassled week with enough for our teenage daughters and young (9) son to do, and we got it all.
Clean hotel, friendly staff, pool is great, food is good value- breakfast is enough ( big roll, jams, coffee, orange) but you greedier brits can also buy more if necessary! good choice at great value.
Air-con is good, 5 euros a day- useful at 40C ..
Nothing too much hassle for staff.
Kefalos / Kimari bay resort is still developing but no noise or grief.
A fridge and kettle would benefit the rooms, but otherwise sound.
Great local eating/drinking - recommend Kastri Taverna on the beach, and Four Seasons restaurants and bars, though plenty of other choice.
We`ll definately return. Thanks to all, see you later.."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of August 2004

amazing...

Reviewed Tue 1st of May 2012

"we travel out to kos every year, wouldn't dream of staying in another hotel. The zeus is clean affordable and extremely friendly. Nothing is too much hassle for the owners they treat you like part of the family... i know where i will be going on holiday every year without a doubt!"

• Travel date: Tue 1st of May 2012

Hotel still good, breakfast still poor

Reviewed Wed 17th of August 2011

"Hotel still excellent, family run and everyone eager to help, even grandpa. Do not miss the BBQ. Excellent value and mothers banana cake is worth it on its own.
Very clean, quiet and welcoming. Bar staff are wonderful entertainment.
Breakfasts are still poor but it is a small thing that is unlikely to ruin your holiday."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of August 2011

Hotels near Zeus Hotel

Stayed at Zeus Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Zeus Hotel

• 1izzy by 1izzy

"Hire a quad bike but don't use Trust "

• june by june

"Friendly and comfortable "

• Ken (Bedfordshire) by Ken (Bedfordshire)

"Travel by bus. They are quite luxurious, cheap and efficient. "

• Trees656 by Trees656

"Rainbow and Hippocrates - Fab food and fab prices!! "

• koslover21 by koslover21

"just relax and enjoy! "

• peter houghton by peter houghton

"perfect for couples who enjoy beach and eating/drinking "

• peter houghton by peter houghton

"Hubs , Savvas ,Captain Johns ,Bravo, "

Zeus Hotel is also called