Strogili Traditional Houses

• car hire
  • bottled water
  • ironing service
  • outdoor furniture
  • sun loungers beach chairs
  • telephone
  • wine champagne
  • kitchenware
  • pool beach towels
  • complimentary toiletries
  • free private parking nearby
  • pool with view

Unforgettable

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Memories are all we have left now from staying at Strogili. What an amazing place! The view is unbelievable, the service excellent and the location convenient. You literally have a 180 degree view of the caldera and the aegean sea. Do not attempt to walk down the steps when you aren't quite sober, it is quite steep to the bottom! Dina and the rest of the staff at Strogili went out of their way to ensure we have a pleasant and unforgettable stay! She even waited outside with us for the taxi to take us to the airport! The location is quiet and very close to the bus stop as well as walking distance to the famous sunset view. A real gem of a place for those travelers seeking privacy and tranquility."

• Travel date: 6th July 2007

Unbelievable views, even better than the postcards!

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"I stayed at strogili houses for the week before my wedding in santorini, family joined us at various different times and also stayed at strogili houses, it was always going to be difficult to organise with different people arriving at different times but Popi (who runs the property) was fantastic. I don't think I have ever seen such beautiful views anywhere in the world. I saw the photo's of strogili houses before I went but was still amazed by the views every day, they are even better in person and you can't help being in awe of them ! The accommodation was lovely, its a small complex of cave houses and apartments, the balconies were amazing, you really can't get enough of the view! The rooms were clean, traditional and comfy, the rooms were cleaned daily and had little kitchen areas so you could self cater. The balconies were lovely, we stayed in the best room and it was stunning :-D The pool was a stones throw from the apartments and always empty! There was a kitchen at the pool side, with a fridge, crockery, free water, tea and coffee. Sunbeds were lovely and strogili provides towels for use by the pool which was nice. Strogili is also the perfect location, its in Oia but not right in the centre, which meant it was peaceful, had a fantastic sized swimming pool and didn't involve many steps to get to the street level. It was about a 5 minute stroll to the shops in Oia. There was a mini-market right next to strogili serving lovely fresh bread and feta and all sorts of other useful things at good prices, very friendly owners (they even lent us their ironing board on the wedding day!). There was a bus stop right outside strogili, and the bus service was fantastic, we didn't end up renting a car as the bus service was so good, puts english buses to shame! The buses go all over the island, run on time and pick you up outside strogili (although getting the bus back make sure you say strogili to the bus driver or you'll end up getting dropped off in the bus station in Oia, about a 15 minute walk.) Santorini is an amazing island and when I go back I will definitely stay at strogili, its a gem of a place. We stayed at volcano view villas for our second honeymoon week and I'm going to do a separate review of vvv."

• Travel date: 5th July 2007

Wonderful views, reasonable rates

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"We stayed at the Strogili Houses in Oia in September of 2006 and enjoyed a lovely stay. We were in Santorini to attend a wedding which was being held at the opposite end of the island but we wanted to experience the artsy and quiet village of Oia as opposed to being in the hustle and bustle of one of the more central towns. Oia was lovely and we enjoyed the sunsets and spectacular views of this picturesque village on the northern end of Santorini. The hotel is small and very charming and the rooms/patios were just right for us. This hotel is more like a collection of small apartments or traditional cave houses and we loved it. Because of a booking challenge, we ended up moving rooms midway through our stay and were able to experience two different rooms; both met our expectations. We found the price to be reasonable, the rooms comfortable, the kitchen an added bonus, the views spectacular, the grocery store next door convenient, the bus stop on the road convenient for reaching the wedding (we did not rent a car while on the island and mostly stayed in Oia), the pool relaxing, and the whole experience pleasant. Though there were fancier options available (and less fancy options available too), we were extremely pleased with our decision to stay at Strogili Houses. We were disappointed that Greek people did not seem very friendly, generally speaking, but it did not prevent us from having a nice time. We do live in a predominantly Greek neighborhood here in NY and were expecting something more welcoming. It could have been that people were "burned out" at the end of a long tourist season or due to our being American in a time when our country is less popular than it has been in the past or there may have even been some discomfort that we are a same-sex couple, but, as an entirely tourist-based destination, we expected staff at restaurants, shops, etc. to leave their "service with a smile face" on for a few weeks longer...at least till the tourism season had ended. However, the staff at the Strogili Houses was very warm and welcoming and, in fact, offered this affirming comment when we shared our concerns with them about feeling welcome in their property as a same-sex couple: "You are welcome to stay here in our hotel !!!!" (copied directly from their email to us). The inn is owned by a family and Popi is the efficient daughter. Her mother volunteered to be in a photograph with me, though Popi declined saying that she was "allergic" to pictures...a dry, funny comment which we appreciated. We also took an optional boat trip to the volcano, the warm springs and the now-separated island off the coast of Santorini. The cost was 20Euros and provided a full, enjoyable day. A donkey ride up the cliff was a highlight for me but a terrifying experience for my partner; we definitely recommend this excursion if you can spare the day...donkey ride optional, of course. If you're going to Santorini, we recommend Oia and definitely Strogili Houses."

• Travel date: 28th June 2007

Excellent everything

Reviewed 22nd October 2012

"Popi and her mom(she is such a sweet lady) are both the most generous and kind people. We had to leave early to America as my husband's father was ill and Popi was nice enough to call our next hotel in Mykono to cancel our reservation and she didn't even charge us the nights we didn't get to spend. Now the hotel; The hotel truly has the best view. Words can't explain. You gotta check it out youself to know what I mean. It's not located in the main town of Oia(about 3-5 min walk to the town) which we liked since it wasn't crowded with tourists. It has a nice swimming pool which is very clean and nice. Not too many hotels in Oia have pools so this was a plus! There is a mini shop and a bus stop right infront of the hotel. Try the restaurant right across the hotel, it was really good. The only restaurant we didn't like was called Scala which is in the main town.. Avoid this restaurant!!They make everything out of cans. Another tip, if you want to rent a motobike, you need to have an international driver's license."

• Travel date: 25th June 2007

Fantastic place to stay

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"I'ev just come back from a week at Strogili Houses (wish I was still there!) and it was fantastic. The view from my balcony was amazing. It's close to the main streets of Oia but not so that you notice - it's still quiet and private. There aren't many steps to the higher-level properties and not too many to the lower level ones. There's a shop on the road next to it run by a very friendly Canadian lady and her husband - I recommend trying the Olives! The owner of this Strogili Houses is a lovely woman and we had no problems whatsoever. There is a pool for residents of Strogili only which at times we had to ourselves. The pool is clean and has kitchen & toilet facilities and there is a lovely view from it. I totally recommend it to anyone considering staying there :o) Purplepixii"

• Travel date: 20th June 2007

A Must Stay!

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"Wow! What can I say that the scenery and rooms don't already say! I was looking for a hotel with the following needs; in or close to Oia, Caldera View, affordable, swimming pool, and clean! This property met everyone of my expectations. Popi and her family are so kind...somewhat quiet, but friendly nonetheless. My wife and I stayed 3 lovely nights in a double apartment which happened to be the most secluded out of all the rooms (it's on the lower level). We were extremely satisfied with the hotels location, cleanliness, price (approx. 125 E per night), and pool fascilities. Definately visit the market right out front of Strogili which happens to be owned by a very nice Canadian women. If you see her, tell her that the couple from Kitchener Waterloo (KW) says hello. Their pool would definately be one of the nicest fascilities in Oia. Even though it's shared with another hotel, it's new, clean, has it's own kitchen with fridge/freezer, change rooms, and bathrooms. If anyone would like to contact me regarding questions, please feel free to email me at [email protected]"

• Travel date: 11th June 2007

Greate place to stay

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"We got a one bedroom apartment. The place was very cleaned, the room was spacious, the view was superb and the location was great as it's a little walk to Ia and that makes it more quiet. I disagree with the comment that said it's away from the bus station as you can tell the bus driver to stop at Strogilli house coming back from Fira. Will definitely stay at this place again."

• Travel date: 7th June 2007

home away from home

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"if you want to feel at peace, if you want to feel at home, if you want to be sure that your host is kind, and of integrity, go here The owners have included all the weary traveller might need to cook up a storm if missing home cooking, or a strong espresso, and the views after you have submerged yourself in the tranquility of the apt, is stunning, sitting out at night with nothing but shades of beauty, in a quiet peaceful location is fabulous if you get bored of being quiet, the lure of the village is just a 5 -10 minute walk I would recommend this haven to anyone Hi to the lovely owners, angels reside at Strogili :) Nadette x"

• Travel date: 15th May 2007

We will return

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"Having stayed several times in different appartments of the hotel it's difficult to decide which one we mostly prefer. All of them have their own preferences and none of them can be ruled out by any disadvantage. All appartments are located towards the Caldera towards the south, having their own terrace with well cultivated plants and flowers. They all have the most beautiful southern view of the island (and we've gained over the years some experience about that) as well as been shielded by the houses against the street on the north. Having the street closed by means that you don't have to climb a huge amount of stairs up and down, especially with luggage at arrival and departure. The parking lot as well as the bus station is just across the street, so again in most convenient distance. Be aware that you check in advance where exactly to get off the bus on arrival, otherwise it could end in a longer footway from the main bus station in the center of the street. The difference in price for the appartments is from our perspective only driven by the number of rooms and their size but by no means by any differences in convenience, furnishing or the like. Overall it was each time (several weeks during peak season as well as low season) a very pleasant stay in a quiet and peaceful area but still comfortable to go out for trips to the various beaches or over the beautiful island. We certainly will come back in future."

• Travel date: 10th March 2007

Average...

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"I spent 6 nights there beginning of October. The property is nice, well appointed and decorated, family owned. Breakfast is great. BUT : when you arrive from Fira by bus, you arrive on the main square, ask the tourist office where the hotel is located, they will send you to the other side of the city.. When you carry your luggage and temperature is like 30 degrees and you have then to come back, then to walk 15 mn to reach the hotel from the city center, the first impression is far away for being positive. If you are looking for a quite holidays, do not book the studios (No 1,2 &3): you are just facing the reception, and the street: means no privacy, average view, and noise from the street like rubbish truck at 7.00 am…. Overall, due to the low season rate, I stayed in the hotel during the whole stay. But I would certainly not have agreed to pay the high season rate and get such a noisy environment."

• Travel date: 8th November 2006