Good

Ikies - In the best tradition

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"When researching for a place to stay, every one you look at is touted as wonderful. How pleasant it is to actually find a place that can match it's hype! I would love to take credit for finding this place, but it was actually the couple we were travelling with that discovered it on the web. A quick check with this site, and we were happy to give it a go. And having stayed there, I'd be even happier to return anytime. Perfectly located just outside the beautiful village of Oia, Ikies is perched above the caldera with an uninterrupted view of the sunset - no visitors or day-trippers in front of you. At the time of our visit, only breakfast was provided, albeit to your door, and while there could be more variety, what we had was plentiful and tasty. The rooms were airy, clean and perfectly traditional. We stayed in the House of the Boatman, one of the smaller rooms on offer, but found it more than enough for the brief time we spent in it, comfortable with great bed. After all, who goes away to stay inside? Our friends had one of the larger rooms, and it too was very impressive, complete with jacuzzi. One of the real pluses for Ikies is the staff. They are warm, knowledgeable, and respect one's privacy while always being available should you require assistance with anything, from hiring a car, which we did, to mixing the perfect cocktail as you watch the sun go down, which they did. Of course there are plenty of other places to watch the famous sunset in Oia, and the town is just an easy 10 minute stroll away. There you will find a wide variety of restaurants and cafes, but no bars. If you feel like a bit of a challenge, take the stairs down to Ammoudi Bay, and back. That should take care of any extra kilos. Buses run regularly from the town, or will pick up along the way (there is a stop just down from Ikies), and go into Fira. A taxi cost about 10 Euros. I really don't have any negatives about this place, other than eventually, you have to leave it. But you can always go back, and you will want to, as often as possible."

• Travel date: 16th May 2006

Paradise on Earth!

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"I cannot say enough about this amazing hotel! Oia (Ia) is a sweet, small town, and Ikies is one of the nicest, most friendly hotels I've ever visited. There are only ten rooms in this hotel, and each is different, charming, gorgeous, comfortable, and traditionally Santorinian! They are rooms built into the side of the island, with a cave-like feel. The feather beds are a special treat, and the hotel's furnishings and bathrooms are first-rate and chaming. The staff is young, friendly, and unobtrusive. They see to your every need, are talkative and helpful, and know when to disappear and let you relax. The breakfast that is brought to your private terrace, complete with a white linen tablecloth, is something to behold; I felt like a queen! It was delicious, fresh, generous in servings, and perfect in every way. The staff was concerned about my opinion of the food and if I'd like anything changed--I loved it all! The staff even went so far as to go to the village and pick up some dinner for myself and two couples (one from Australia and one from England), and they delivered our meal right to the hottub! I was very decadent, and very thoughtful of them. They brought us drinks when we needed them, and I was even lucky enough to find them at a local restaurant one evening, and had the honor of dining with the staff and some friends of theirs. The hotel's location cannot be beat, and I am so lucky to have chosen Oia as my home base! I found that I didn't want to explore the island much as I loved Ikies so much and didn't want to leave. There were many tears shed when I had to leave this incredible hotel, and this wonderful staff. I will be back--that's a promise! If there were 6 star hotels, this one deserves that ranking!!"

• Travel date: 16th January 2006

Loved Ikies

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"We stayed in 'the House of the boatman' in October 2005. It was a fabulous stay, fantastic location, impressive accommodation and the best service we have ever encountered. Upon arrival we felt that the location may have been a little far from the centre of Oia town, but we discovered that the costal path meant that Ikies was just an enjoyable 10 minute stroll away. Breakfast delivered to the terrace and the evening 'turn down'which included the lighting of candles on the terrace ready for our return, were just some of the ways in which the staff of ikies made this our most memorable stay in Santorini. We can't wait to return and would not hesitate to recommend Ikies."

• Travel date: 20th November 2005

Amazing

Reviewed 12th October 2012

"We stayed in the House of the Winemaker from 4th to 11th October 2005. The entire stay was truly exceptional from the welcome in the car park when we arrived until we regretful departed a week later. I had high hopes for Ikies based on their website information and the reviews from Trip Advisor but it delivered even more and it exceeded both our expectations. Our accomodation was amazing, very comfortable, well maintained and very spacious. We had a lovely living room with three sofas, a small kitchen area, wonderful bathroom with shower, a cave bedroom and a large terrace area with hot tub. The layout was very traditional, the winemaker theme and the thoughtful extras, like fresh flowers, chilled bottle of wine in the fridge on arrival, candles, nice toiletries, slippers and so on provided some nice finishing touches. The view of the caldera from our terrace was fantastic. Breakfast served on white linen table clothes on our own private terrace was the highlight of each amazing day. It is the staff that makes Ikies truly exceptional. They make you feel really well looked after. They are all very discreet but extremely hard working, room service twice daily, breakfast is delivered to ones terrace at the time requested, at sundown lanterns are placed on the terraces. They are there if you require anything else but otherwise let guests enjoy the rest and relaxation. We had our own hot tub and did not use the communal swimming pool but it was well used while we were there. Ikies is on the edge of Oia and is a ten to fifteen minute walk to the town centre where there is a good selection of restaurants and shops. It's up a couple of flight of stairs dependent on the location of ones accomodation and then a fairly flat straight, pleasant walk into the town centre. There is also a regular (hourly service until early evening in October when we went) into Fira, the capital. However we always struggled to drag ourselves away from our suite."

• Travel date: 22nd October 2005

It is just fantastic...how can I expand on what has been said?

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"OK we are all in agreement it is wonderful.....just trying to see how I can add to what has been said before. We stayed here for a week in the middle of June. This was a wonderful time to go - just as it was time to leave I felt Santorini was becoming a little busier than we would like. The weather was just on the edge of really hot which was perfect. Also the service was fresh as the season had only just kicked in. We stayed in the House of the Fisherman - this is perfect for three reasons: you are in one of the traditional houses; you are up one level so you have one of THE views of the sunset and your balcony is private. I would suggest confirming that all of those points are covered by your room when you make your booking - other houses provide the same options but there are only a few. The only draw back to this room is you have a wonderful view of the hot tub in the room next door!!! If you think you are going to crave a hot tub to sit in while you sip champagne and watch the sunset then pay extra and book it - otherwise you will end up making slightly bitter glances across your balcony to the occupants next door. They also have a rather wonderful double sun lounger and I think the combination of the two make up for the small dip pool. I can’t comment on the smaller room that has its own hot tub. The service here is wonderful, very simple but there are some great touches, like placing candles on your outside table just as the sun hits the horizon. The staff are willing to make up a variety of drinks for you at any time of the day and breakfast on the terrace is a nice bonus. Don't forget what time you order it for, ours was a little sun baked on the mornings we decided to sleep in!! The kitchen is useful but don't plan on doing any big traditional Greek cooking - not only will the two hobs not suffice, buying fresh produce is not as straightforward as you would imagine. The rooms themselves are spacious, simple and traditional in all the right ways. Walk in wet room shower - great! And the mezzanine level creates a wonderful sense of space. Bed – very comfortable. The pool is disappointingly small and with the complexity of getting to good beeches on the south of the island + the baking hot black Santorini sand, don't stay here if you want to spend most of your holiday in the water! If you do, fit in 2 or 3 nights and go to another Island for your swimming pleasures. I would suggest Myokonos but that’s another review! Ikieas is on the edge of Oia, so it is a 10 min walk into the village. Don't be put off by that, the distance from the village provides a view of the sunset and a quiet environment in which to relax. Recommend - both of the Ambrosia restaurants in Oia and eating by the fishing harbour for lunch. Going to the beech and Vineyards is fun but really just spend as much time as you can at Ikieas - why would you want to be anywhere else – ever, for the rest of your life! The sunset is a therapy that you couldn't pay a $1000.00 per hour for! Enjoy."

• Travel date: 6th October 2005

Great Spot, Great Hotel

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"We spent 4 nights at Ikies in Ioa on Santorini in September 2005, with another couple from Brisbane, Australia. Our choice was based mainly on internet reviews, including trip advisor. It was fabulous - Oia, the entire island and the hotel. Ikies is very small, which makes it intimate. We stayed in the House of the Artisan, which is the largest of the 3 studio apartments. The room was delightful - think boutique quaint rather than 5 star but formulaic hotel luxury. But large enough, with a cute "cave" type bed, a hot tub outside the door, a view to die for, small private bathroom, small kitchen (but enough to arrange our own snacks and drinks for sunset on our balcony), air-con, and fabulous breakfasts overlooking the caldera. All you need. The staff were terrific. They arranged collection for us (by emailed pre-arrangement) from the [very late] ferry from Mykonos. Glad we did that - finding it in the dark for the first time would have been challenging! And a chilled bottle of wine in the room when we arrived, plus bottled water in the fridge. We hired a car (arranged through Ikies), which was enormously useful to get around the island, although we took the bus the first day to Fira, which was easy enough. Directions were sometimes difficult in Greece, but not particularly on Santorini. All in all - fabulous and highly recommended."

• Travel date: 29th September 2005

Loved Ikies

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"If you go to Santorini do yourself a favor and stay here as we did Sept 16-21. Oia is the best the island has to offer and the views are exquisite. The breakfast served on the private terrace was really a treat although after 5 nights it could use some variety from day to day. The staff is very service oriented and friendly but never intruded on our privacy. They arranged for a taxi to pick us up at the pier upon our arrival and Elena met us in the parking lot as we arrived even after the ferry was 2 hours late. Very impressive. When we decided to reserve a car they arranged to have it delivered to us at the property and return to the airport. We stayed in the Cooks House which had a Caldera view terrace with incredible views by day and by night with the lights twinkling of the white homes perched up along the hillside exactly like the pictures you see in the travel magazines. We had a hard time leaving to explore the islands sights and decided we did not need to as we had the best right there. Our only complaint was that the upper loft bedroom was very warm for sleeping even with the fan going as the air conditioning did not seem to find its way upstairs."

• Travel date: 26th September 2005

just amazing!

Good
Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Our stay was above all expectations! Ikies it THE place to stay in Oia: with only 10 rooms (compared to 25 at the Katikies), Ikies is intimate, staff know you but is at the same time very discreet. We visited the Katikies out of curiosity and were relieved to go back to out quiet, peaceful, un-crowded Ikies! OK, the only drawback is the size of the pool, we were quite worried about that but it turned out that we were mostly alone by the pool or only with one other couple. Since many rooms have their own hot-tub, not all guests come by the pool. Views are stunning, our room (boatman’s house) was immaculate the bed is so comfortable I wanted to take it home with me! We will definitely go back to Ikies during a 2nd visit to Oia!"

• Travel date: 25th September 2005

You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"As I read the other reviews of the hotel, I see that we are all in agreement. This is one of the special places on Earth. The combination of staff, facility, location, views, value, service can not be beat. I just got back from Greece, and my stay in Oia was the highlight. Do yourself a favor...stay at the Ikies."

• Travel date: 23rd June 2005

Superb hotel!

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"We stayed at Ikies for the last 3 nights of our honeymoon. We stayed in 2 rooms, the Fishermans House and the House of the Captain. Both were wonderful, although the second room was slightly better as it had a private veranda with a cracking sunset view. The staff were great and couldn't do enough to help. Restaurant tip: as you walk into Oia (10mins) there is a traditonal taverna opposition the entrance to Katikies Hotel. It does fantastic pork dishes and is a fraction of the price of restaurants in Oia."

• Travel date: 21st June 2005