Atrina Canava 1894

Nikolaou Nomikou, Oia 847 02 Greece

Good

The Best!

"To say the least, we had a great stay at the Atrina Houses.
Here are a few key points:
- The Atrina is located at the beginning of the main walkway in Oia which is nice because there is little traffic above. One of the great things about the Atrina is that once you walk down to your suite you are in your own private space and can just sit on your terrace and soak in the view.

- The accommodations at Atrina were spartan yet excellent. If you are expecting feather beds and a Jacuzzi tubs, you will probably be disappointed. Our suite had two bedrooms with a small kitchen and bathroom. There was a small TV (never used), a CD radio and dining area. The room was tastefully decorated and felt very traditional.

- The staff and service was great! Monica and Nikko were absolutely the best and helped us coordinate our excursions.

The view was incredible! You could spend your entire life sitting on the balcony at the Atrina and feel that you didn't miss a thing.

A few examples of above an beyond service;
- We wanted to have a late dinner at a seafood restaurant down on the water at the small port on end of the island. Nikko, who usually goes home at 9pm, stuck around until after 11 to give us a ride back.
- Our flight got into Santorini at 6:30am. We had no early arrival reservation and no plans on what to do until check in. Not only did Monica let us take our room early, they promptly served us breakfast on our balcony. I expected there may be an early check in or additional breakfast fee but there was nothing on the bill when we checked out.

Overall, I would say that if you want stay at a place where you can unwind and truly relax, Atrina is the best that I have found!"

• Travel date: Fri 20th of July 2007

Great Stay at Atrina

"Since I received so much help from this site in planning our family trip to Greece, I thought that I’d post a report hoping that I could help someone else. My wife and two teenaged daughters just returned from Athens (3 nights) and Santorini (6 nights). While in Santorini, we stayed at the Atrina Traditional Houses in Oia and loved it. Although there were only a few entries on TA for Atrina, I knew that Oia was the place for us based on my research and we needed 2 bedrooms for my family. I got comfortable with Atrina thru talking with the hotel and via some e-mail references from past customers.
We’re very glad we stayed at Atrina. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, but not fancy. Everyone has a balcony with a table and chairs with magnificent views of the caldera and overlooking Atrina’s very nice pool (thank goodness for the pool as it was well over 100 degrees during our stay). The service was phenomenal. Monica took care of everything we needed, including transfers (20 Euros each way, with lots of help with our luggage), a run to the beach, boat tickets, advice on restaurants (although we also got a lot from TA too), etc. Nikko did our driving and delivered a great breakfast to our patio every morning. We enjoyed our six nights at Atrina and recommend it completely!!
We used the advice from this site quite a bit. We took a boat trip from Amoudi Bay and found that buying our tickets at the Drossos rent a car office, gave us the same price for the tickets as were offered on the boat and included transfers from Oia to and from the boat, which was great (Monica’s suggestion)."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of July 2007

Good view, good breakfast, friendly service, but value for money?

"Stayed in the Tholos House for the first 3 nights of our honeymoon early June 2007. Room was big as it had a separate living room with small flat screen TV, nice sofa, hifi, mobile phone. Overall first impressions were that it was nice but not entirely clean. Nice small double bedroom, and beautiful small balcony overlooking the caldera (see other person's pictures). The positive side of our stay was that the room was overall very nice and comfortable and everything worked. The staff were very friendly and helpful (carrying luggage, serving coffee & tea at early arrival). The own private balcony was also very nice and comfortable although it is not 100% private as any guest of the other rooms passes the balcony on their way. This was not very disturbing though and understandably cannot be avoided with any property built on the steep caldera rim. Breakfast was served every morning on own command to the reception with the mobile phone that is provided, which was a nice feature. The slightly disappointing part was the bathroom which was very simple and was merely a shower attached to a wall and did not look or feel like a good quality bathroom. Also the kitchen consists of a tiny unstylish pantry between living room and shower room. Towels were provided every day and were clean but in terms of accessories there was not much. Call me fussy but I asked whether they had any hard soap (as opposed to wall attached liquid dispenser) and the answer was simply "no". Apart from this though the answers were pretty much always yes and the staff was very friendly. Would I stay there again? I would have to say no, simply because I did not see value for money at EUR185 per night, although I accept that in Santorini you really just pay for the view, though funnily enough we found a place in Oia that appeared to have very much the same kind of view with slightly lower spec furniture, for only EUR40 per night (Delfini rooms it was called)."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of June 2007

Excellent Hotel, Great Service, Great View!!!

"It was a great hotel! Very clean, very good service, breakfast home made, brought to you at your own private balcony, with view to the caldera. Great place to stay, you are within 20 feet from Oia, which is the most beautiful place in the world! Would definitely recommend it! It was our honeymoon and was really worth it!"

• Travel date: Tue 28th of November 2006

Atrina was excellent

"It was July 2006 when I stayed here, but having read a couple of the reviews I thought I'd post one to say I found our stay excellent.

We stayed in the Tholos House and every day had fresh shower gel, everything was fitted correctly, we had our windows open and no cats came in, fittings seemed modern and towels were nicely presented, of suitbale quality and changed! So I don't know if maybe it is the case that other suites are in not so good repair or if the couple of people below just had an unlucky experience.

We found the staff friendly and the atmosphere very relaxing. The balcony view is amongst the best there is in my opinion (and we were looking out for all this!), and the breakfasts are really, really good.

True, you don't see sunset from the balcony, but suprisingly few places actually do in Oia and I found the "sunset" end of town unbearable in all honesty! Do yourself a favour and go the other way (i.e. away from the sunset) - once you pass Ikies you will be at a vantage point where you can see sunset but you can also see the town of Oia in front of the sunset - a much nicer picture and maybe only 1 or 2 other people there to share the experience instead of hoardes.

Tholos House was very spacious and was absolutely spot on"

• Travel date: Thu 9th of November 2006

Enjoyable stay but could have been better

Good

"We stayed at Atrina for a week at the beginning of October (2006). The accommodation was enchanting but a little basic.... it added to the romance but a few maintenance updates would have made it a lot more presentable.
The views are stunning & the breakfasts match.... it is hard to think of a better place to enjoy breakfast than admiring the views from Atrina. The location is perfect... a pedestrian only walkway fronts the building so there is no traffic. Atrina is perfectly positioned to be handy to everything without being in the main area of activity. The pool area is welcoming. The staff were really friendly, our host was pleasant. We felt Oia was the pick of the places to stay..... just a more pleasant environment away from the really touristy area of Thira.
On the downside.... there were powerpoints hanging of the wall. The fan in the bedroom was vintage mid 20th century... not rustic & charming, simply old. Bath gels were not replaced until a note was left requesting more. The sheets didn't fit the bed.... they simply didn't tuck in so the slightest movement & the sheets were all over the place. The bedspread was filthy. The windows can't be left open as the cats would come in (warning provided by our host) which made for a very stuffy suite. After a couple of days our bath towels came with holes & very worn. Don't expect to see the sunset ... while there are glimpses the sun set well behind the buildings between us & the end of the island.
Would I recommend Atrina: yes... but some small changes would make the world of difference to the guests."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of October 2006

Nice place, lacks maintenance

"We have just returned from our stay at Atrina houses. We stayed for 5 nights at Tholos house. We liked the place however it did not meet our expectations when it comes to maintenance. The place is only 2 years old but if they do not take care of it well it will not look good.

For the price of the room being over 200€/night, we expected everything to be in good repair. For example, there was a nice stereo in the room, but it came with a remote control that did not work. We wanted to shower before going to the pool, but the shower at the pool side did not work. On the last day one of our towels had a stain and hole. We were provided with pool towels, but they were not changed daily. We were provided with body gel, but once we used it up, it was not replaced.

I am sure that if we had called the owner, she would have taken care of all these details. However, I expected it all to be in good shape to begin with.

At the same price level, I would recommend Sun Rocks Hotel (we stayed here for 4 nights also during this trip) where everything is in good repair, there is great service, and the views are amazing too.

Positive points at Atrina houses:
1. The size of the room is good
2. The decor is tastefully done
3. The views are amazing
4. You have a private veranda"

• Travel date: Mon 24th of July 2006

Wonderful Experience

"We stayed at the Atrina Traditional House for four nights in Mid-June. My family occupied three of the six units, the Tholos House, The Jr. Suite and The Sr. Suite. It was an amazing experience. They are located at the top of the Caldera which made it very convenient for one of our family members who is 83 years old. The rooms are simply decorated (as are most places in Oia) but extremely comfortable. They all have a private balcony (where a delicious breakfast of fruits, breads, yogurt, juice and coffee are served every morning). The views are absolutely breathtaking! We spent hours just sitting on our terrace relaxing, enjoying a glass of wine and taking in the incredible view.

The owner, Melanie, could not have been more hospitable. She provided each room with a cell phone that could be used to reach her from anywhere on the island. She arranged dinner reservations, a sightseeing cruise and a winery tour for us. No request was too big or too small for her. In fact, when it came time to leave, the shuttle service we hired couldn't handle all of us and our luggage. Melanie grabbed her car keys and personally drove some of us to the airport. That was truly going above and beyond.

I would absolutely recommend the Atrina Traditional House to anyone visiting Oia. The location is incredible, the accomodations comfortable and Melanie and her staff truly make you feel like family. We will absolutely go back!"

• Travel date: Mon 19th of June 2006

Small hotel is a gem!

"We arrived to find a huge apartment with a patio and incredible view. The decor is tastefully done, the pool area is beautiful and the whole place seems new or recently redone. Oia is a lovely place to stay and this hotel a gem!"

• Travel date: Sun 21st of May 2006

Luxury, relax and what a view!!!

"Our family of four stayed at Atrina for 4 nights in July 2005.
All we can report is that our stay exceeded our expectations.
The small Hotel is perfectly located in Oia and offers 6
rooms/apartments each with its own private terrace where breakfast (included in the
rate) is served.
The rooms are in the traditional Santorini stile and are well designed
and furnished.
we stayed in the Canava House ( built in the rock). The hotel pool is
very nice and relaxing and all at the Hotel goes smooth as silk.
The owners provides you with a cell fone to contact the reception as
there are no phones in the room. This is very convenient as you can bring
it with you at all time.
Highly recommended as offers almost the same features of the much
acclaimed superstars Hotel in Oia for half the price.

Atrina Traditional houses
OIA - Santorini , Τel.: ---
(---)"

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of August 2005

Hotels near Atrina Canava 1894

Stayed at Atrina Canava 1894? Share your insight.

Atrina Canava 1894 is also called